PDA

View Full Version : GOT THE JITTERS.

Alive-Cat
10-22-2010, 10:45 AM
I feel the anxiety closing in, taking hold of me. Infecting my every thought like a sickness, a sickness that likes to infect the thoughts.
My band's first gig EVER is tonight and the place is gonna be packed out, therefore; slight nerves. But good nerves. Being intoxicated will help.
Oi, you. What makes you nervous? Do you usually have to do things in life that make you a bit nervous? Someone once said you should do something that scares you every single day. It's good advice - except if you were scared mainly of tigers and sharks, then it could be quite dangerous and bad for health.
Basically, what I'm getting at here, is do you ever get nervous or are you a robot?

Rodarian
10-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Good luck for tonight!!! Rock the show!!

I usually get nervous during big events as well..Plus I got nervous as hell during my thesis show when the jury members came to look at work......Thankfully they raved about it...

Oh I'm also nervous about an upcoming trip...I'll be presenting my project to the clients... Lets hope they'll like it.

Psychotic
10-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Where's the gig? I'll come along. (AND HECKLE YOU)

fire_of_avalon
10-22-2010, 03:36 PM
The last time I remember being nervous was a couple months ago when I was preparing for review at work. Before that I was nervous when I met the lead guitarist for my favorite band. Otherwise I don't get very nervous.

Seraphic
10-22-2010, 04:11 PM
I had an exhibition of my work about a week ago, and although I had known it was coming for quite some time, I hadn't thought about it until about an hour beforehand and I got extremely nervous about the whole thing.
But after I got there and people started to show up I felt somewhat better :).

Clo
10-22-2010, 04:47 PM
I get nervous quite a lot (for various reasons). I'm a very hectic person and I push myself very hard, so I often do things every week that are new and nerve-wracking for me. I've spoken in front of very large groups of people countless numbers of times, but for some reason I still get nervous beforehand every time. Maybe one day I'll be used to it completely. I love public-speaking, too, and once I open my mouth I'm fine, but it's always the moments beforehand where I get all riled up.

Shorty
10-22-2010, 05:59 PM
I get the jitters for no explainable reason. And I become nervous in large social settings, but I think that's pretty common.

Apparently, most relatives on my dad's side (including my dad) are being medicated for anxiety disorders, so this doesn't really give me comfort that it's something I'll grow out of.

And congratulations on your first show! I hope it goes well for your band.

NorthernChaosGod
10-22-2010, 06:11 PM
I'm not a very nervous person, but the last time I was nervous was last Thursday. I had my sight singing midterm and I was shaking a little. I'm not used to, or very comfortable with, singing in front of someone without any music playing. I got an A though. :cool:

~*~Celes~*~
10-22-2010, 07:50 PM
i get nervous pretty easily sometimes, and then other times i have nerves of steel. the unpredictability makes me cranky :(

Raistlin
10-22-2010, 09:27 PM
I get nervous sometimes before major public events, but like Clo once I open my mouth and start talking, I'm fine. But those aren't every day, so I'm generally not a very nervous person.

Chris
10-22-2010, 10:19 PM
I barely remember what it feels like to be nervous, as it must have been at least three years since I last had that old feeling.

fire_of_avalon
10-23-2010, 12:06 AM
Public speaking, strangely enough, I've never really been nervous about. When I was a kid I was the narrator for one of our semester-end school concerts. There were 1200-1300 people in the audience.

I regularly speak in front of small groups (10 or less) as a part of my job. I often say things that are stupid or not as funny as I imagine them to be, but you go on.

Rye
10-23-2010, 12:23 AM
I have anxiety that I have to deal with related to anxiety during the night (fear of home invasion, namely.) That's my main source of anxiety.

For the most part though, aside from occasional social events and general worry about having so much college work to keep up with, I don't get nervous too often.

I actually really enjoy public speaking. Any stage fright I've ever had was pretty much killed by all of the times I had to perform opera when I still sang. So I have no problem with it anymore or speaking in large classes.

Shiny
10-23-2010, 02:07 AM
Yeah, I think everyone gets nervous. I don't really mentally get nervous though at all. I get physically nervous where my jaw clenches up. That :bou::bou::bou::bou: hurts.

Alive-Cat
10-23-2010, 11:15 AM
The gig went perfectly! So any nervousness was not necessary. I was hammered, though. That helped!