PDA

View Full Version : Fable III

Shlup
10-25-2010, 08:09 PM
Fable III is on its way! I pre-ordered it... yesterday. 'Cause I just beat Fable II on Saturday.

excited y/n?

Roogle
10-25-2010, 08:19 PM
I ordered Fable III: Limited Edition for a friend of mine and I will be playing it when he comes to visit me at the end of the year, hopefully.

I haven't played any of the Fable games yet. What do you look forward to in this latest release?

Shlup
10-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Scissoring. Lots of scissoring.

Psychotic
10-25-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm definitely interested in this, but Fable II broke my heart because it was an alright game that could've been so much more :( I'm going to wait 'til it's released episodically on XBL and seeing how the first couple of episodes are first before shelling out - which I think is a fantastic way to release/showcase a game anyway.

Bunny
10-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Fuck that :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Fable 1 and 2 were terrible.

Shlup
10-25-2010, 08:46 PM
It did feel like they tried to do so much with it, that it detracted from the actual story of the game. Also, I didn't want my character to be a weakling, so I pumped up her strength and ended up looking like a bull in a corset. It was neat, but it also made me cry.

ETA: You're terrible!

Freya
10-25-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm super excited but I can't afford it so I have to wait a paycheck or two before I can get it and by then i'll want AC: Brotherhood so fable 3 will probably be pushed back for a while.

G13
10-25-2010, 10:08 PM
I really liked Fable I... when I was younger. I can't play it now, it's so bad. Fable II was alright. I'm with Psy, it could have been so much more. Fable III looks good, like the first two did when they were new, but I'm skeptical. I'll be giving it a while before I pick it up.

kotora
10-25-2010, 11:00 PM
I stopped being excited for Molyneux games after Black and White turned out to be nothing like that butthole promised it would be. After that I still played the Fable games, even though I knew he was full of :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Fable 2 was what 1 was supposed to be, but it still got kinda boring after a while. Don't have much hopes for this one, especially since he said the battle system is gonna be simplified even more. Now that's a promise I except him to actually keep because it's gonna make the game suck harder.

Bunny
10-25-2010, 11:21 PM
ETA: You're terrible!

"Check this out! We're gonna make an awesome game where you control the fate of the entire world and watch your character grow as the game goes on!"
"Eh.. sorry guys, couldn't put everything we wanted in the game but.. guess what?! Enough of you bought it that we were given the go ahead to make another game! And this time we really ARE going to put in everything we promised in the first game and it'll be awesome!!!"
"...man, this just isn't my decade. Sorry again, bros and chicks! But we're already hard at work on the third version and we REALLY PROMISE THIS TIME that it'll have EVERYTHING we promised in the FIRST TWO GAMES!"

Isn't the definition of insanity something like "doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results"?

Shlup
10-26-2010, 12:19 AM
I thought they put plenty in the second game. What more could you want? Greedy bastard.

Meat Puppet
10-26-2010, 12:24 AM
Well, there could be those things they promised the first time around, for starters.

Shlup
10-26-2010, 12:27 AM
That's why I don't read things. Ignorance is bliss.

Bunny
10-26-2010, 12:49 AM
You're the most blissful person in the wooooooooooooooorld!

<3

Jessweeee♪
10-26-2010, 12:53 AM
I heard that he hired an assistant for the sole purpose of telling him to shush when he gets overexcited and goes HEY WE'RE GONNA DO THIS AND THIS AND THIS AND IT'S GONNA BE AWESOOOOME. I never payed attention to Fable until recently, but from the things I've heard I imagine that in order to get the most satisfaction from the product, I should not pre-order it, and I should not read anything about it until it's been released.

Shlup
10-26-2010, 01:30 AM
Ahahahaha, I want to be that dude's assistant.

I can relate to getting over-excited and wanting to count chickens. Poor guy just wants everyone to be as excited as he is!

I liked Fable II because I loved running through the fields with my dog.

G13
10-26-2010, 01:35 AM
I hated that dog. I would outrun it and quickly go to a different area. He found me every goddamn time. :mad2:

Bunny
10-26-2010, 01:46 AM
That's because you smell like a meat sandwich.

Shlup
10-26-2010, 02:01 AM
I hated that dog. I would outrun it and quickly go to a different area. He found me every goddamn time. :mad2:

I take it you didn't choose "love" at the end. You're evil.

G13
10-26-2010, 02:07 AM
Actually I did. I had like a million wives, there's no way I was gonna go back to the single life.

Shlup
10-26-2010, 02:13 AM
Every time I was unfaithful to my spouse, they left me! I was on my 5th spouse, but she was the hottest chick in the game: Lady Grey. So saucy. I gave her a 300 gold a day allowance.

Bunny
10-26-2010, 02:34 AM
I had four wives and then I had none.

I don't do like backtalk.

Shlup
10-26-2010, 02:36 AM
Two of my wives tried to leave me. Never turn your back on me when I have a crossbow.

I let the husbands live because they had my kids.

G13
10-26-2010, 02:54 AM
My wives only left me after I did the gender bender quest. I could marry and bed as many women as I wanted but when I traded my sword for a skirt all the gifts in the world couldn't keep them happy.

Roogle
10-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Also, I didn't want my character to be a weakling, so I pumped up her strength and ended up looking like a bull in a corset.

I didn't know that building strength changes the appearance of the female character, too! My friend alters the game to keep the character at a certain age and physique for the entirety of the game regardless of statistics.

Jessweeee♪
10-26-2010, 06:09 PM
I had the ugliest looking lady anyone had ever seen, so I made her cover up and wear a really big floppy hat.

Shlup
10-27-2010, 02:17 AM
I'm not very far in, but it is certainly far more lively than the last one. For one thing, the Hero actually talks, which is a change I am very in favor of.

So far, I have very high hopes for this game.

Madame Adequate
10-27-2010, 03:17 AM
I'm eager to play this, because even when Molyneux lets me down - and he hasn't done otherwise for over a decade - he still puts out a pretty great game that's worth playing extensively.

I still hold out hope for just one more game of Bullfrog's caliber. Man, imagine if he did something as fundamentally groundbreaking as Populous or Theme Park with modern technology. Just imagine being told "Warning, a cheat is running the hospital!" with our modern sound systems!

But even absent that I expect this to be a good time. It really hinges on how they handle the rulership mechanics, because it's an area which is ripe for picking, but to my knowledge hasn't been attempted since Summoner 2. Eight years ago.

Shlup
10-27-2010, 06:07 AM
Instead of Theresa's voice following you around the whole game it's John Fucking Cleese. Bloody brilliant.

Madame Adequate
10-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Scratch my last: They should take all of my money.

Psychotic
10-27-2010, 08:44 PM
Instead of Theresa's voice following you around the whole game it's John Fucking Cleese. Bloody brilliant.My interest got kicked up a notch. I fucking hate Zoe Wannamaker.

Madame Adequate
10-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Instead of Theresa's voice following you around the whole game it's John smurfing Cleese. Bloody brilliant.My interest got kicked up a notch. I am a massive ponce please contact Steve because I need his delicious balls in my mouth.

:shobon:

Psychotic
10-27-2010, 10:13 PM
*makes post exactly like steve would make; tries to claim superiority to him*

Madame Adequate
10-27-2010, 10:16 PM
My post was less than forty lines of unbroken text, Paul.

Shiny
10-28-2010, 12:16 AM
I was disappointed with the first Fable. It left me wanting more...much more. The second Fable was definitely an improvement as other people have noted, but I think they could probably push the envelope even further by adding more dialogue options and weapon customizations. I look forward to seeing what they do with the third one, but I will probably not pay for this one for a while because I'm skeptical. :shiny:

kotora
10-28-2010, 12:25 AM
fable has dialogue now?

Shlup
10-28-2010, 12:46 AM
What are you talking about? It has tons of dialogue.

So far, I'd say the combat/weapons system is about even on improvements and blah-ness. The weapons grow with you, which is cool, but I liked the old spell system better. They simplified a lot, but I liked the complicated system just fine.

Also, relationship interactions are adorable, but I miss the expression wheels. I don't like having my expressions mostly picked for me. Though the expressions in general are much better.

I preferred the old real estate system, with hero opinion and economy being all listed as things affecting the price. Now you have to maintain the buildings you're landlord of by coming by once in a while to do some costly repairs. You just pay money and it's automatic, and you don't have to do it that often, but I'd still rather not.

Jobs are more fun. You don't get better at them by doing them, surprisingly. Instead, you can use your "guild seals" (AKA experience points) to buy higher job levels (and expressions, and dye colors, and weapon proficiency, spells, etc...). I'm quite good at Lute Hero.

kotora
10-28-2010, 02:36 AM
Fable 1 and 2 didn't have any dialogue, aside from the few moments where the other heroes interact with each other with your own dude just standing there like a tard. On the other hand they did have a smurfload of monologue.

Shlup
10-28-2010, 03:20 AM
Yeah, the silent hero thing bugs me. The princess's voice is lovely though. Your character isn't super chatty, but does talk and hold conversations.

~*~Celes~*~
10-29-2010, 08:49 AM
I bought the Fable book and got a code for a free sword :D now i just have to wait till i can afford the actual game...

The Last Illoran
10-29-2010, 04:45 PM
I dont have a system capable of playing it...
:(

Rianoa
10-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Fable is always made to seem better than it actually is its ok at best nothing really ground breaking.

"Your actions in fable II will affect the world around you".......All that happened was my stay at home dad left with my child when i was at the tower, mummy was making money for the lazy using dad.

I guess you can say I wasn't that impressed, I doubt fable III is going to be much better.

LunarWeaver
10-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Anything to satiate my desire to be a princess.

Vyk
11-01-2010, 03:46 AM
I'm with Shlup. I never heard anything about Fable 1 and quite enjoyed it. And from all the disappointment I heard from that, I made it a point to avoid taking note of what was planned for Fable 2. And then hated Fable 2 for what it was, not what it lacked. Pretty much doing the same with Fable 3. Though I really don't like how quickly the world is evolving. They're already at the industrial age while Fable 2 was basically around renaissance with the guns and stuff. Fable 1 would have been around the dark ages. So they're jumping like 2-300 years a game in comparison to our history. Next thing you know Fable 4 is going to be Grand Theft Fable. And Fable 5 will be Fallout (Fableout?) Its moving unexpectedly fast. Hard to consider an industrial civilization Fable'ized. Even harder if they go farther than that. Cars aren't Fable'd lol

Jessweeee♪
11-01-2010, 03:50 AM
I don't know, Fable II felt to me like it wasn't too far from the Industrial era. Maybe I'm just confusing the fashion of that time with another era.

Shlup
11-01-2010, 08:21 PM
The steampunkery in this one is hot though.

I am officially irritated with the relationship system. Since it auto-picks your expressions now (because the expression wheel was apparently too difficult for some people), everyone I meet I dance with, then play pat-a-cake, and then they ask me for a favor. Who the hell tells a princess "Hey, go to a haunted woods and dig up something for me, then I'll be friends with you"? I feel so used. And I'm spending too much time running around digging :bou::bou::bou::bou: up in an effort to make friends. Jeez.

Madame Adequate
11-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Sounds like Molyneux needs to remember that his best work didn't worry about being super easy to pick up and play. You didn't master Magic Carpet in an afternoon. Nothing wrong with intuitive mechanics and controls but seriously.

Shlup
11-02-2010, 02:18 AM
I found the perfect husband and we had sex and I lol'd and then we had a baby, so I am now ready to forgive the oversimplified relationship schtuff.

"I NEVER WANT THIS TO EEEEEEND! *bedsprings going crazy*"

Seraphic
11-02-2010, 05:54 PM
I'd never played any of the Fables but my brother bought this one recently and I had nothing else to play so I figured I'd give it a shot, and it's alright so far I suppose.
I agree on the whole friendship thing though, why am I gonna whistle and dance with every person I meet and then walk to the next town to find some scroll only to come alllll the way back for what? For the person to stalk me with gifts for the rest of the time I'm there?
On top of this, I completely forgot about the easy map thing so I was actually walking in between towns for these people.
So much lost time.
I kinda hate how they have the spells too,like I can't have them all at the same time? I need a specific glove to use lightning and another to use fire? Failure :/

Anyway, I'm still going to play it.

Shlup
11-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I liked the spell system for Fable II much better. I had Raise Dead set to level 1, then Inferno, then Force Push, then Shock for levels four and five. It worked really very well. Now I have to have "summon creature" potions. Bah.

I take back anything bad I said about real estate though. I realized a couple of days ago that you can do all real estate related things on the map. I now own every ownable building in Albion and am making almost 80k every pay period.

Which you will need. The game just got, imho, far more interesting than I expected. I'm about 20 hours in. For any of its flaws, the story in this game is quite good.

Shadowdust
11-04-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm still fairly early on in the story but so far I'm having a great time with the game. Houses seem a little cheaper in this game so I bought out all of the homes in Brightwall Village and the Dwellers Camp and left my game on all day to collect the rent. That left me with plenty to buy the bar in Brightwall. :D I also managed to get me a wife and kid too. :D

I've always liked the Fable games. No game will ever be perfect no matter what a developer promises so I can deal with its shortcomings.

Shlup
11-04-2010, 09:58 PM
Left the game on to collect rent?? Cheeeeaaaaater.

Shadowdust
11-05-2010, 03:44 AM
I know, I'm totally horrible. :p

Shlup
11-05-2010, 04:10 AM
The final battle totally snuck up on me. Usually the game is all "Oo, some serious :bou::bou::bou::bou: is about to go down; if there was anything else you want to do, you should do it now!" but noooo. This time they were just like "220 DAYS LATER - FINAL BATTLE GO GO GO!" I am a bit miffed.

I mean, it was really good, but if I knew I was that close to the end... I had more things to do. And I will still play, but some of those things I specifically wanted to do before the end.

So, when you keep your promise to the Dwellers (or not), the end battle is right after that. Don't do that part yet if you have stuff you want to do before the end battle.

kotora
11-05-2010, 07:10 PM
will the final boss in this game also go down after 1 single hit?

Shlup
11-05-2010, 10:13 PM
No, it's a legit battle.

RedPouch
11-10-2010, 04:51 AM
Well I for one loved Fable I, to-date it's still one of my favourite games. Its story was mediocre, but the game was just so damn fun that I played it 12-13 times over. Despite the fact that it's easy [I can play the entire game without getting hit] it's strangely, still very fun. I'm one of those people that doesn't like some disgustingly bulky and/or old character, so I always choose my stats quite carefully. The creatures were fun to fight against, and the feeling of being powerful was pretty nice to me in this game. It also had decent voice acting. I only wish that they had more time to complete The Lost Chapters by adding in more of the content that they originally planned for... the game is a bit short unfortunately, but at the same time, shorter games tend to have better replay value, which Fable does to me.

Fable II had less of an exciting story and I detested the male character model to no end, but aside from that the game was actually fun. The jobs were fun, buying property and acquiring cash that way was pretty cool, and the vast amount of sidequests did a good job at keeping you occupied. Aside from the story being a bit dry, there were a great many things to do which kept me entertained constantly. I'd say in the "fun" factor that this game at least did pretty well, even though the ending sucked. My biggest complaints about this game are replacing long bows with pistols and rifles, and using the god-damned colonial era as inspiration for the character/clothing designs. Honestly, what were they thinking? I can't possibly imagine a more boring, ugly, and uninteresting era to draw inspiration from in terms of clothes. These two complaints are pretty minor, but they really did bug me quite a bit. I didn't let that interfere with the fun of the game though. The game was fun and combat was satisfying, though it lacked boss battles. Also, the voice acting was even better than Fable I.

And to hit the main point of this topic, I'll talk about Fable III. So far I've had an extraordinary amount of fun with Fable III, it's far better than Fable II. The character models are infinitely superior to Fable II's, and the morphing system is a lot better [I can build up strength without having to worry about looking like a misproportioned Jay Cutler - yay!]. Gameplay-wise, combat is the most challenging it has been by Fable standards, which I appreciate. I prefer something close to Ninja Gaiden 2's combat system, since that's my favourite. Fable III takes a slight step in that direction - combat is still pretty easy but it at least offers some kind of challenge, even though it may not be a lot, it's at least far better than its predecessors [though I still haven't gotten knocked out]. Being King certainly is fun, and thankfully you're still offered a vast array of thoroughly entertaining sidequests as well as things you may become personally interested in. For example, I like upgrading my weapons for fun. I think it's awesome to look at your armoury and see a plethora of fully upgraded weapons there. It's a lot of work, but I personally enjoy it, just like seeing a massively large topography of gold in the castle treasury and your personal fortune - I'm a bit of a treasure hoarder. All it's missing is a dragon to sleep on it. The dyes for the clothes are better this time around, and thank goodness, the outfits are infinitely superior to Fable II's outfits. I personally like the Practical Prince Suit , and the Highlander outfit which makes you look something like a cool barbarian type. And as an added bonus, the voice acting in this game is very good - excellent, even.

Edit:
[B]For those who might need help with getting achievements - I now posses all of the weapons and almost every tattoo, so I'm willing to trade to those that need it. The only thing I'm missing right now is the Scythe face tattoo. If you want help, let me know and I'll get back to you when I can.

No, it's a legit battle.
It still isn't much of a fight though... Saker from the Mercenary camp towards the beginning of the game is more challenging. I actually had to use a potion for the Saker fight during my first playthrough.

Madame Adequate
12-03-2010, 10:01 PM
I borrowed this game from my friend Barry and it's just... not gripping me. Sadly. I don't quite know what it is, but something about it just doesn't sit right with me and I'm not really enjoying it. I'll stick with it a bit longer though.

The Ham Sandwich is the superior play.

Bunny
12-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Sadly. I don't quite know what it is, but something about it just doesn't sit right with me and I'm not really enjoying it.

I haven't played it yet but let me explain a possibility:

It was made by Lionhead Studios.

G13
12-04-2010, 01:42 AM
I can give you a list of reasons why I don't like it, the map system being my biggest whine. It's really the most aggravating thing asking to be placed next to a demon door or certain house and be spawned on the complete opposite end of the map. I'm almost done with it and don't see myself playing this game again in the near future.

Jiro
12-04-2010, 07:03 AM
I power finished it when I hired it out and there wasn't anything that wanted me to come back. I enjoyed it, sure, but there wasn't a whole lot that gripped me. I basically pressed Y repeatedly until I won the game.

Jessweeee♪
12-26-2010, 05:40 AM
Mogi received the game as a Christmas gift. He is currently doing a quest titled The Game and I am dying laughing. "This is like when you told me people read item descriptions. Nobody reads item descriptions!"

I'll have you know that I clicked every piece of furniture in Trace Memory :colbert:

Markus. D
12-26-2010, 05:41 AM
The entire game underwhelmed me, save for Cleese.