PDA

View Full Version : Make way for the PSP2

The Last Illoran
10-29-2010, 06:08 PM
take a ds, shove it where the sun dont shine on a psp, and you get:
the psp2, which will NOT incorporate the much anticipated PS2 reader function.

geeze, really sony? a psp with a touch screen....

Old Manus
10-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Oh my God Sony are such thieving scumbags, they just copied the iPad!

EDIT: Wait, sorry, I mean the HTC Desire!

EDIT2: Crap, I mean the Samsung Tokko Lite!

EDIT3: Damn it, I mean the Nintendo DS!

EDIT4: *repeat to fade*

Slothy
10-29-2010, 07:34 PM
PSP2 Hits Next Fall With Dual Analog Sticks, Touch Pad and Bigger Screen [Update] (http://kotaku.com/5672410/)

Link for those who, like me, hadn't heard anything about this.

Rianoa
10-29-2010, 07:41 PM
To be fair their quite good at stealing stuff and improving it e.g wii and xbox 360 XD

Roto13
10-29-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't believe the speculation because 1) it's from Kotaku and they're a joke, and 2) I can't imagine anyone looking at a laptop touch pad mouse and thinking "Oh, this would be AWESOME for handheld gaming. Especially if we put it on the back!"

EDIT: Sony has a long history of taking other people's ideas and doubling them up. I wouldn't be surprised if it had two touch screens. :P

The Last Illoran
10-29-2010, 08:05 PM
actually, ps move was a good thing if you ask me, now you get exersize and hd games, also, my sources are many, and wth is kotaku

ts

Hollycat
10-29-2010, 09:43 PM
I would love a portable with ps2 abilities

NeoCracker
10-30-2010, 08:29 AM
I would love a portable with ps2 abilities

So, the 3DS? :p

Dreddz
10-30-2010, 06:58 PM
I think it would be wise for Sony to create a handheld that'll allow developers to create multiplatform games between it and the 3DS. A touchscreen kind of seems like a must.

NeoCracker
10-31-2010, 05:19 AM
I think it would be wise of sony to say screw the touch screen, and only worry about the games that don't need one to run, as those are almost always the only ones worth your time. :p

Yeargdribble
10-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Why are people complaining about a potential touch screen. If it has dual analogs and all of the other buttons, so what? A touch screen will take nothing away. Most of the games I play on DS don't require the touch screen because good 3rd party devs only use it where it's useful.

That said, it could have uses and it's silly in an age where damned near every portable device has a touch screen to not have it available as an option for developers to use. If this causes 3rd party shovelware makers to exploit it... don't buy their game. There's plenty of that on the DS and I choose not to play it.

Also, stop playing the "they stole this from" game. It's bulls**t and you should know it. Would you prefer every company act like Apple and patent everything and keep it on lockdown only allowing hand selected applications and not letting anyone improve on their technology? This has been done with gaming before. It's been done with just gaming concepts. What if SE filed a patent for menu driven combat. Would that make it better world because no other RPG could use that function in addition to new ideas?

I think it would be wise of sony to say screw the touch screen, and only worry about the games that don't need one to run, as those are almost always the only ones worth your time.

This worked wonders for the PSP didn't it? Obviously superior hardware to the DS, but the library is smaller. I love that handful that don't need it, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be an option.

I think it would be wise for Sony to create a handheld that'll allow developers to create multiplatform games between it and the 3DS. A touchscreen kind of seems like a must.

This. Chinatown Wars looks great on the PSP. It would've been nice if the devs had had the option to leave the touch controls intact when porting. The fact that the PSP didn't have the option forces companies to not go multiplat on release... instead they have to choose. Obviously they will choose the platform with the bigger install base... the DS, even if they'd rather have the more capable hardware of the PSP.

CommanderShepard
10-31-2010, 11:24 PM
It's funny how Sony can leak everything before it's announce.

I'm sure everyone has seen the "PSP Phone" and I worry about the development process that might cut into the PSP2. It'd be nice if both were similar, but what if the PSP Phone is the PSP2.

It only makes sense as people should really only carry one device and this should really give Android a shot a gaming.

Palm webOS has better gaming than Android and that's just sad! I love webOS but considering the scale of webOS to Android, it's quite sad on Android.

Jessweeee♪
11-01-2010, 12:24 AM
They stole the touchscreen idea from the people who design software for orthodontic offices :colbert:

NeoCracker
11-01-2010, 12:30 AM
I don't really care if they have a touch screen if they don't focus to much on it, but I have no faith in the Sony developement to do so. And the game thing didn't work because PSP doesn't really have many worthwhile titles by comparison, regardless of the superior hardware.

Honestly if it wasn't for the fact that it would basically leave the handheld market in a monopoly for Nintendo, I'd say Sony should just drop the PSP all together and focus more on what they do better, console gaming and other such products of theirs.

Slothy
11-01-2010, 02:27 AM
Honestly if it wasn't for the fact that it would basically leave the handheld market in a monopoly for Nintendo, I'd say Sony should just drop the PSP all together and focus more on what they do better, console gaming and other such products of theirs.

Regardless of anyone's opinions on the quality of the PSP library (I've personally enjoyed far more PSP games than I have even the best that the DS has to offer), let's not lose sight of the fact that it's still the only handheld to ever give Nintendo any serious competition. In fact, it's sold over 60 million. Granted, it's less than half of the sales of the DS, but to put it in perspective, it's about 20 million shy of the GBA sales, and the next closest competitor to Nintendo was the Game Gear with around 11 million.

I was going to make an analogy by comparing the idea that Sony should drop out of the handheld market based on sales to thinking Microsoft should have dropped out of the console market after the relative failure that was the Xbox, but that wouldn't even be a fair comparison considering the Xbox wasn't nearly as successful relative to it's top competitor as the PSP has been (24 million units sold compared to the PS2's 146 million). Again, the PSP did something pretty astounding by managing to hold it's own against Nintendo's 21+ years of handheld dominance. And hell, if a home console had sold as much as the PSP in the same time period it would be a rousing success compared to the 360 and PS3, and even the Wii to be frank.

Personally I look forward to seeing what they manage with a second kick at the can.

NeoCracker
11-02-2010, 12:48 AM
I see where you are coming from, and I do hope to see something good come out of it, but that doesn't change the fact I don't believe in Sony's ability to make a hand held that can match Nintendo.

Though on the comment of Nintendo dominating the handhelds, they still are, it's just now that have to be a bit more caucious with competition that is at least somewhat capable. :p

Evastio
11-02-2010, 12:56 AM
I hope this isn't too off topic, but if the PSP 2 is the real successor to the PSP, where does the PSP Go fit into all of this? Back then, I thought it was the successor to the PSP, until my friend told me how limited it was, how you can only download games for it and how it doesn't use game discs.

Roto13
11-02-2010, 01:16 AM
PSP Go was never really the successor to the PSP. It's just a really :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty redesign. Like if the DSi couldn't play DS game cards or something.

Hollycat
11-02-2010, 02:01 AM
plus the go's warranty was voided the first time you charge it

Mo-Nercy
11-03-2010, 03:58 PM
For me, it'll ultimately come down to the quality of the titles. I'm not a big handheld/portable fan, but I have PSP because I was sold on the idea of playing Tekken on the go. I'm also pretty much guaranteed to get a 3DS now too given what's in the pipeline.

But I'm liking what I'm hearing. Dual analog sticks, bigger screen sounds great. The presence of a touch pad doesn't phase me much. What individual game developers do with it will be the deciding factor that'll either make it a great move or waste of space.

Bolivar
11-04-2010, 02:53 PM
The specs are apparently pretty high. I think Engadget suggested it was going to have 1 GB of ram, which is more than the PS3 and Xbox 306... If it has a processor to match, this phone may be able to do things.

I mean, dual analog sticks is only a start... without a second pair of triggers (R2 + L2) you couldn't play modern shooters, which I think if they did put a Call of Duty/Battlefield on there which looks as good as the console brethren (or better considering the specs) it could be an incredibly fun device. I think the Market is huge because so many people play games on phones but none of them really use buttons, a lot of gaming people wish they had buttons on their iPhone, and with powerful hardware this could be insane.

I mean, yes, people want small little bite-sized experiences while they're on the go, but if you think about it, you can finish a Team Deathmatch game in Call of Duty in 5-10 minutes, who wouldn't rather be doing that?

Lastly, I've had a PSP for little under a year now and it's been a hell of a lot better than 4+ years of owning a DS. It gets a ton of use because I have a PSPGo, which I honestly would not have bought if I had to paid for it myself, but it's portability makes it worth it because of how nice it fits in your pocket as an MP3 player. Also having FFVII-IX + Tactics on one machine without having to swap discs hands down beats anything Nintendo could throw at me. Even if you want to talk original games, I've seen a nice list of titles that aren't afraid to match up to their console brethren. I know everyone says there's tons of great DS games out there, you just have to look for them yourself, but everytime those people say that they mysteriously disappear from the thread once we ask them what games they're talking about.

Hollycat
11-04-2010, 04:50 PM
the psp2 will most likely play the exact same games, but just in a higher graphics. I hope they uncut the ps2 playability function

Roto13
11-04-2010, 05:00 PM
I know everyone says there's tons of great DS games out there, you just have to look for them yourself, but everytime those people say that they mysteriously disappear from the thread once we ask them what games they're talking about.
Maybe because they know it's pointless to talk to you about anything that isn't a Sony lovefest.

Rase
11-04-2010, 07:04 PM
I know everyone says there's tons of great DS games out there, you just have to look for them yourself, but everytime those people say that they mysteriously disappear from the thread once we ask them what games they're talking about.
Elite Beat Agents, Hotel Dusk, Dragon Quest IV-VI remakes, Professor Layton series, FFIV DS, Castlevania series (PoR was good, not great, but not bad), Pokemon series, Henry Hatsworth, Etrian Odyssey series, GTA Chinatown Wars, New Super Mario Bros, Mario & Luigi Bowser's Inside Story, Picross DS, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor and Strange Journey, Rhythm Heaven, Ninjatown. Tried to represent a decently broad scope as far as genre goes without getting too wordy, as well as trying to avoid games available on the PSP (yeah, know GTA got ported. Tried it, thought DS was better enough to still count).

Don't bother posting a "rebuttal" of PSP games. I admit there are good games on PSP (Half-Minute Hero, Patapon, LocoRoco), but usually I'd either play what I feel is a better version on consoles with better graphics/sound (GoW, MGS, Persona 3, GTA Story games) or the game itself doesn't interest me (Monster Hunter). I have no desire to emulate old games on a handheld either, and needing to do so to get my money's worth doesn't speak much for the system in my eyes (also, remake =/= port, hence why I feel the DQ remakes are reasons to get a DS. Much better than the original ones in my opinion).

Anyhoo, Sony still hasn't actually said anything official about the PSP2, right? I'll wait until they decide to to judge the thing.

Hollycat
11-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Im not gonna be happy unless they make it with all the buttons of a controller so it can play the old ps2 games