PDA

View Full Version : Humbug

blackmage_nuke
10-31-2010, 08:15 AM
I just got my first trick or treater ever and it was the most socially awkward experience of this week (I have a very awkward life)

Topic: Have you ever been unexpectedly engaged in a holiday or Cultural tradition? E.g. Recieved a Christmas card and felt obligated to return one despite your lack of Christian faith?

Alive-Cat
10-31-2010, 12:27 PM
When halloween begins, I NEVER answer the door. Ever. I'm not very festive. :)

Clo
10-31-2010, 06:55 PM
I fucking hate Christmas cards. What is the goddamn point of those things, besides being a total waste of money and containing horrible artwork I most definitely do not want to decorate my house with!

Shorty
10-31-2010, 07:56 PM
I appreciate cards that are made from scratch. If you buy a Hallmark card and slap "love, soandso" on it, I don't approve.

I'm not a Christian, but I participate in Christian holidays (Christmas, Easter) because they're so culturally accepted. I'm being a grinch about Halloween, though, and not handing out candy. Damn kids.

CommanderShepard
10-31-2010, 08:09 PM
Even though there might be religious elements to holidays and festivals, the main idea of it is to have fun and subliminally stimulate the economy.

I don't see how that's a bad thing as everyone should benefit from that.

Granted you don't have to participate, but forget the beliefs for that moment and have fun!

I'm not Buddhist but I love their food and raid their parties!

blackmage_nuke
10-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Im worried that foreign Halloween traditions are slowly starting to seep into Australia and if I have to start giving out candy that I didnt get a chance to receive when I was a kid then I wont be a happy camper.

(as a way to relate, it'll be like gradutating from highschool the year before they get air conditioners or new computers, except they make you pay for the air conditioning even though you've graduated)

Roto13
10-31-2010, 10:18 PM
I didn't really like Halloween much when I was a kid. (Why go from door to door begging for candy? Why not just buy some?) I certainly don't like it now. Luckily, I live in an apartment, so I'm not really expecting to get any trick-or-treaters.

NorthernChaosGod
10-31-2010, 11:02 PM
I didn't really like Halloween much when I was a kid. (Why go from door to door begging for candy? Why not just buy some?) I certainly don't like it now. Luckily, I live in an apartment, so I'm not really expecting to get any trick-or-treaters.

It's free and you get to have fun dressing up?

CommanderShepard
10-31-2010, 11:19 PM
Not only that, at least people are walking and socializing. Something our society is doing less and less. Free candy!

I hated the rumor of poisoned candy. I doubt that ever happened on Halloween. Plus aren't you supposed to inspect whatever you eat? Sheesh!

rubah
11-01-2010, 12:20 AM
If you don't want trick or treaters, just turn your porch light off. Gosh, grinches!

lol at 'foreign traditions' xD

Fuzakeru
11-01-2010, 01:59 AM
I love Halloween. I haven't had a chance to do anything new and creative the last two years but before now I used to make my front porch in to a haunted house and I'd pass out candy to the kids after I made them walk in to my haunted porch. I'd set off the fog machine the moment they took the candy from my cauldron and my zombie friend would rise from the ground behind the table and scare the bajeezus out of the little ones!

I never celebrated All Hallow's Eve.... I just liked dressing up and getting candy. Then I liked dressing up my house and giving out candy. Supposedly the 'kids' my age are supposed to dress as slutty as possible and get drunk. I guess I'm doing it wrong.

Shiny
11-01-2010, 04:14 AM
Not unexpectedly, but I got dressed earlier than usual on a weekend just because I anticipated people I don't know ringing my doorbell. I don't really believe in Halloween -- in fact I just call it Candy Day because that's essentially what it is. Just another way for people to make money and children to get cavities.

If you don't want trick or treaters, just turn your porch light off. Gosh, grinches!

Doesn't work for everyone. Most of the trick o' treaters around here came before night fall this year.

rubah
11-01-2010, 04:18 AM
That's because their parents are bitches

Clo
11-01-2010, 04:19 AM
Halloween is my favorite holiday. Because I can go to McDonald's and see a guy dressed up as Ronald McDonald buying McDonald's, that is just insanity. Or I can be in line at the store and a cat lady, a zombie, and the devil will be behind me.

Awesome.

blackmage_nuke
11-01-2010, 05:47 AM

lol at 'foreign traditions' xD

I have but so far only the vague idea of 'ask people for candy' has reached Australia, the details of trick or treating ettiquite arent yet well known

Rodarian
11-01-2010, 08:34 AM
The last trick or treaters that came to by door was in 2004..... I simply go to parties and get my 'treats' there! xD

kotora
11-01-2010, 10:12 AM
I never celebrated All Hallow's Eve.... I just liked dressing up and getting candy. Then I liked dressing up my house and giving out candy. Supposedly the 'kids' my age are supposed to dress as slutty as possible and get drunk. I guess I'm doing it wrong.

it's not too late to start doing it right !

NorthernChaosGod
11-02-2010, 12:01 AM
Halloween is my favorite holiday. Because I can go to McDonald's and see a guy dressed up as Ronald McDonald buying McDonald's, that is just insanity. Or I can be in line at the store and a cat lady, a zombie, and the devil will be behind me.

Awesome.

Clo knows where it's at. I went to the grocery store yesterday with Harry Potter, a zombie, Raphael of TMNT, and a hippie. All girls too. /smug

Fuzakeru
11-02-2010, 04:08 AM
it's not too late to start doing it right!

I'd have a lot of lost time to make up for!