PDA

View Full Version : IGN's Top 100 Playstation 2 and NES Games

Depression Moon
11-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Top 100 PS2 Games - Top 100 PlayStation 2 Games - IGN (http://www.ign.com/top-ps2-games/)

The PS2 list isn't that old, but I'm not sure about the NES one. I could actually agree with a good few in the lists this time around. These lists are making me sad about the games I missed out on and for my broken PS2 and lost NES.

Top 100 NES Games - IGN (http://www.ign.com/top-100-nes-games/)

Shiny
11-02-2010, 08:52 PM
1. Super Mario Bros. 3

By Nintendo | Released: 1990

2. The Legend of Zelda

By Nintendo | Released: 1987

Damn skippy.

I mostly agree with all of the NES list's top 20, but wtf at the Playstation 2 list.

Madame Adequate
11-02-2010, 09:49 PM
SSX Trick: #95
SSX 3: #81
Suikoden III: #47
Suikoden V: Absent entirely
TimeSplitters 2: #38
FFX: #24

NOPE

San Andreas at 14 and GTAIII at 8? I can dig Vice City being higher than both but San Andreas is fucking amazing and deserves a top five spot at the very least.

Shadow of the Colossus: #1

... I am okay with this.

Pheesh
11-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Kingdom Hearts made the top 10. Pleased, I stopped looking after that.

Depression Moon
11-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Actually I just noticed that FFXII was down at the 70's while X is at #24. WTHeck! It's hard for me o choose between the two sometimes, but having them so distant is weird. Also KHII is down at 79 and Re: Chain of Memories is down at 92, though they admit that they think that it is better than II.

Roto13
11-02-2010, 10:18 PM
Hah, God Hand at #100. After their review of God Hand (http://ps2.ign.com/objects/822/822478.html) being the final straw for me taking any of their reviews seriously.

It's easy to mistake God Hand for a terrible game.

Only if you're a fucking moron.

Wolf Kanno
11-02-2010, 10:57 PM
The fact that FFX and KH1 are ranked higher than Persona 3:FES and Suikoden III as well as the complete absence of Persona 4, Suikoden V, and BoFV makes this list void for me. Even if I do agree with most of its top five choices.

Granted I never take these list too seriously but seriously? FFX at #24 and KH1 at #7? Also, how does Star Ocean III surpass FFXII? At least games like Amplitude, Gitaroo Man, and Gungrave got some loving but wow, that was a pretty warped list for my taste.

I'll check the NES later when I have time.

Aerith's Knight
11-02-2010, 11:42 PM
Legend of Zelda should be #1 for the NES list. I mean, come on, the zelda franchise is still building on that name and fanbase.

Wtf? Startropics only on 35? That was a great game!

Dreddz
11-03-2010, 12:58 AM
Hah, God Hand at #100. After their review of God Hand (http://ps2.ign.com/objects/822/822478.html) being the final straw for me taking any of their reviews seriously.

It's easy to mistake God Hand for a terrible game.

Only if you're a smurfing moron.
At least they put it on the list. I'd put it in the top 20 personally. You are right though, that review they gave to God Hand put a permenent stain on IGN's reputation.

The list is what it is. From briefly skimming through it they do have a lot of my favourites so thats good enough for me. The order I don't agree with but unlike a lot of people I acknowledge that doing a top 100 is never going to satisfy everyone.

Although saying that I'd like to clarify that DMC3 is NOT better than DMC1. Its not even close.

Pete for President
11-03-2010, 01:23 AM
San Andreas at 14 and GTAIII at 8? I can dig Vice City being higher than both but San Andreas is smurfing amazing and deserves a top five spot at the very least.

I strongy disagree on this. To me San Andreas felt like it had no soul and to be honest I'm amazed that it's this high in the list. Then again, there were quite a lot of games I think IGN has overrated.

FFX deserves a top 10 spot IMO, other than that I agree on Okami on #6 and SotC on #1.

Meat Puppet
11-03-2010, 01:26 AM
To me San Andreas felt like it had no soul

Kind of the same way for me. But that doesn't mean it wasn't fun. I think the trade-off for cohesiveness was just a huge amount of legitimately fun gameplay.
But maybe that's just me

Depression Moon
11-03-2010, 02:05 AM
I don't get what y'all mean by GTA SA having no sould. Do mean a lack of story or whimsical characters, because it had both. I also thought that Rez was some handheld or PC game. Surprising to find out it was actually a PS2 game.

Legend of Zelda should be #1 for the NES list. I mean, come on, the zelda franchise is still building on that name and fanbase.

Are you seriously complaining about Zelda just being one spot below from 1? That's really picky and Mario is still building fanbases as well. I also thought I was dreaming that Mike Tyson's Punch Out was in the arcade. The article cleared that up for me that it was a memory like I initially thought. Wasn't Little Mac a green see-through silhouette?

Madame Adequate
11-03-2010, 06:22 AM
To me San Andreas felt like it had no soul

Kind of the same way for me. But that doesn't mean it wasn't fun. I think the trade-off for cohesiveness was just a huge amount of legitimately fun gameplay.
But maybe that's just me

I didn't get into the San Andreas vibe NEARLY as much as I did into Vice City, but then I absolutely fucking looooove the 80s and I'm not exactly into West Coast gangs xD But the gameplay of San Andreas, the sheer scale, the absolutely, ridiculously, retardedly, excessively long list of things you can do in that game, is insane. San Andreas doesn't have the best atmosphere, but it is absolutely the pinnacle of open-world sandbox gaming.

Also: Mike Toreno. Just sayin' is all.

Seraphic
11-03-2010, 06:26 AM
I feel like whoever wrote the descriptions for each of the games really knew nothing about the games,lol.
Like calling the extremely overpowered Necrid from Soul Calibur 2 an awful,sucky character and saying FFX was good despite the balcony scene?
Was there something wrong with it? lol

Bunny
11-03-2010, 08:10 AM
These kinds of lists are stupid.

FFX was a terrible game.

Aerith's Knight
11-03-2010, 12:02 PM

Are you seriously complaining about Zelda just being one spot below from 1? That's really picky and Mario is still building fanbases as well. I also thought I was dreaming that Mike Tyson's Punch Out was in the arcade. The article cleared that up for me that it was a memory like I initially thought. Wasn't Little Mac a green see-through silhouette?

Yeah, but later mario games were actually better than the one before them. :)

With Zelda.. yeah.. >_>

Slothy
11-03-2010, 01:19 PM
But maybe that's just me

I have to disagree myself. I found that huge lack of cohesiveness really dragged the game down the farther you got into it, especially since each successive area of the game had less to do and was just kind of there for the sake of being there. Things were fine when you were in Los Santos, but it was just downhill from there to the point where by the time I reached the third city I couldn't even stand the game anymore I was so bored.

And I will agree with ranking GTA3 above Vice City and San Andreas simply on impact alone. That game pretty much changed the face of gaming.

Depression Moon
11-03-2010, 02:09 PM
I feel like whoever wrote the descriptions for each of the games really knew nothing about the games,lol.
Like calling the extremely overpowered Necrid from Soul Calibur 2 an awful,sucky character and saying FFX was good despite the balcony scene?
Was there something wrong with it? lol

I believe he was talking about Necrid in terms of character design and story as he makes sure to point out that he was a Todd McFarlane creation. Also for the balcony scene. It made you check to make sure that no one was close by.

Madame Adequate
11-03-2010, 03:41 PM
I didn't know a two minute scene could ruin a 60 hour game!

Roto13
11-03-2010, 04:02 PM

With Zelda.. yeah.. >_>

Zelda 1 is the second worst Zelda game unless you're a retro fetishist. (That's not to say it's bad, since all the Zelda games are awesome.)

NorthernChaosGod
11-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Zelda 1 is the second worst Zelda game unless you're a retro fetishist. (That's not to say it's bad, since all the Zelda games are awesome.)

Zelda 2 and Zelda CD-i. :colbert:

JKTrix
11-03-2010, 04:22 PM
"Think of Gungrave (84) as Bayonetta's dad."

Nice.

Roto13
11-03-2010, 04:28 PM

CD-i Zelda doesn't count.

Aerith's Knight
11-03-2010, 05:34 PM

Best Zelda's were 1 and the one for the SNES, at least imo.

Certainly not with all games, but with zelda I guess I'm a retrofetishist. Although I did enjoy Twilight Princess, it doesn't excuse my urge to punch Zelda 2, Windwaker, and its DS spinoffs in the soul.

Zelda CD-i doesn't exist. It's all in your mind. I mean, go ask random people if they know that game. The percentage is so small we can assume it to be zero. Therefore the game is obviously part of your imagination, or at least a mass delusion.

DMKA
11-10-2010, 03:50 AM
FFX was a terrible game.

Clearly you haven't played many new games in the last three years.

Jibril
11-10-2010, 01:16 PM

With Zelda.. yeah.. >_>

Zelda 1 is the second worst Zelda game unless you're a retro fetishist. (That's not to say it's bad, since all the Zelda games are awesome.)Eh, it's better than Phantom Hourglass.

Bunny
11-10-2010, 08:52 PM
FFX was a terrible game.

I do not know what this means.

Roto13
11-10-2010, 08:58 PM
FFX was a terrible game.

I do not know what this means.

It's an alternate way of saying "Kids these days don't know from games in my day harrumph"

kotora
11-10-2010, 09:10 PM

Best Zelda's were 1 and the one for the SNES, at least imo.

Certainly not with all games, but with zelda I guess I'm a retrofetishist. Although I did enjoy Twilight Princess, it doesn't excuse my urge to punch Zelda 2, Windwaker, and its DS spinoffs in the soul.

Zelda CD-i doesn't exist. It's all in your mind. I mean, go ask random people if they know that game. The percentage is so small we can assume it to be zero. Therefore the game is obviously part of your imagination, or at least a mass delusion.

you mean like this

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2007/12/zelda121307.jpg

Depression Moon
11-10-2010, 09:54 PM
That's obviously just some bad fan art. Nintendo would never officially release something that looks like that.

Roto13
11-10-2010, 10:39 PM
That's obviously just some bad fan art. Nintendo would never officially release something that looks like that.

That's from one of the stupid CD-i Zeldas that Nintendo didn't make.

Skyblade
11-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Kingdom Hearts RE: Chain of Memories made it onto that list how?!

I mean, don't get me wrong, Chain of Memories was a fun game, and I played it to death on the GBA. But the port in no way deserves to be on the Top 100 list for PS2 games. It changed almost nothing but the graphics, vastly underused its voice actors, and generally was just a shinier copy of a GBA game. It wasn't bad, anymore than the original game was. But compared to the real gems that the PS2 had, it should be nowhere near that list.

Bolivar
11-10-2010, 11:41 PM
These lists are always about games that left the biggest impact, the most popular of a certain threshold of greatness, or just the best selling. I'm tired of seeing PS2 lists populated with the GTA's, the MGS's and the FF's. Those are my favorite games from the system.

But tell me what are really the best games on the system. Like seriously, try to scientifically think this one through but still keep in mind quality. The BEST games.

Depression Moon
11-11-2010, 12:39 AM

That's from one of the stupid CD-i Zeldas that Nintendo didn't make.

Hey, let me pretend that it's fake!

Skyblade
11-11-2010, 02:04 AM
These lists are always about games that left the biggest impact, the most popular of a certain threshold of greatness, or just the best selling. I'm tired of seeing PS2 lists populated with the GTA's, the MGS's and the FF's. Those are my favorite games from the system.

But tell me what are really the best games on the system. Like seriously, try to scientifically think this one through but still keep in mind quality. The BEST games.

Um, so tell me, if it's about "Impact" or "Biggest Selling" how did KH RE: CoM get there?

Bolivar
11-11-2010, 01:17 PM

Um, so tell me, if it's about "Impact" or "Biggest Selling" how did KH RE: CoM get there?

Well that was probably because Ryan Clemens is a massive KH/FF fanboy.

Mo-Nercy
11-14-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm just glad to see Okami in the Top 10. A little surprised seeing as it just popped up amongst a sea of MGSes and GTAs, but surprised in a good way.