PDA

View Full Version : Playing around with the FFX-2 debug menu!

Jessweeee♪
11-04-2010, 09:51 PM
I loaded up my Action Replay yesterday to see what fun ways I can break my games, and I noticed a debug menu option for FFX-2! Of course I immediately started to tinker with it, and it was a lot of fun.

I think I played around the most with the monster list. You could fight each of them individually simply by selecting them from the menu. There were some options in grey that were still selectable, but appeared to be left out of the game. This included several underwater enemies, leading me to believe that at one point they intended to allow Yuna to swim to special locations. Also there was a scrapped Shuyin enemy that wasn't even given bones. And a lone blitzball.

Has anyone else messed with this?!

EDIT:

By the way, it is in both the North American and PAL version of the game, so if you have a cheating device then go for it!

Roogle
11-08-2010, 07:14 PM
I used to look into things like this for the Final Fantasy series during the Playstation era of games, especially Final Fantasy Tactics.

I did not use a game editing device for the Playstation 2 era of games.

Were you able to access anything that caught your interest that may have been left out from the finished product besides the underwater creatures? I find it really interesting to see What Could Have Been (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WhatCouldHaveBeen) in video games. Do you see anything that hints at another playable character, for example?

Jessweeee♪
11-08-2010, 07:50 PM
I could have very easily missed some things (it was a bit confusing), but it looks like besides the aquatic enemies (some of which do have finished versions used in Macalania), there were only unfinished versions of enemies that made it into the game. For the most part the unfinished enemies were the same as their finished counterparts. Some of them had slightly different appearances.

OH! One neat feature I forgot to mention was the ability to control enemies just as you would YRP. I turned that on first, but then I got distracted by the possibility of finding scrapped ideas and turned it off before I could really play with it.

Roogle
11-09-2010, 07:42 PM
I am not surprised that you found that feature. There was a similar feature allowing monsters to fight on your team in FINAL FANTASY X-2 International + Last Mission; the developers probably molded it from an old debug menu feature.

Jessweeee♪
11-10-2010, 07:21 PM
There was a "To Location" option which seems to put you in any location in the game. I selected a location that didn't exist, saved the file, then reset the system, and when I loaded the file I was taken to the debug menu without the aid of Action Replay. Of course the game locked up when I tried to do anything, but I thought it was kind of neat.