PDA

View Full Version : Yu Yevon

Crimson Archmage
11-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Was there ever any follow up on Yu Yevon himself, besides what's available in FFX?

Ye olde Zanarkand seems really interesting, just wondering if there was ever anything else made available.

CA

EMX
01-01-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm not aware of anything. It's odd because Yu Yevon is probably the biggest protagonist in an FF game ever. He has basically changed the whole of Spira around him. There are also major contradictions all of which lead back to him. On the one hand, he is religion, on the other he is death and justice. But in his purest form he is just a self-righteous murderer. Yet he never speaks, he never justifies himself. He is just there, at the end, as one of the most pointless 'bosses' in history. It's very odd that Jecht is seized upon as a major protagonist when he has been dragged in and bound to his fate without desiring it. Yevon only pops up towards the end of the game, though I guess a part of it is about illustrating the corrupt nature of his religion.

Haha_YouAint
05-30-2011, 12:38 AM
They could've done so much more with that part of the story. Zanarkand itself was such a mystery to me, and I wanted to explore more of it. After Tidus gets sucked up by Sin, it seems like its only use at seeing it at all was to let us know that Tidus wasn't lying about being there. I wanted to know more about the battle between Bevelle and Zanarkand too. They could've shone some serious light on Yu Yevon though. I never saw Jecht as a villain. I always felt sorry for him.

silverjunky
06-03-2011, 03:31 PM
Jecht wasnt really the "villian" at least story wise, I think for whatever reason square really just wanted to push the whole father/son bitchfest relationship between tidus and jecht, so they made Jecht the penultimate story boss. They seemed to kinda tack the whole yu yevon thing on simply to give sin and yevon some sort of origin. But as this thread mentions its a tenous origin at best, pushed into the background in favour of focusing on tidus/jecht whingefest.
( I love ffx, am replaying it now, but tidus as a character is really annoying, mostly with the whole, "my dad was a bit mean boohoo story")
Does this help?

Jessweeee♪
06-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Well there's a little more importance to it than the whole bitch-fest. The truth about the Final Aeon is essential to the plot. Everything Yuna has been trained to believe is a lie, and Jecht is the proof of that. Seymour also uses that connection to try to manipulate Yuna into helping him control Sin.

Topaz Flare
06-20-2011, 12:28 PM
what really confused me is that Yu Yevon was the talk of the town in that game, but when you finally fought him he looked like this

http://i.imgur.com/Swg1t.jpg

what gives? or am I missing something here o.0

Jessweeee♪
06-20-2011, 05:10 PM
He's a tick, a parasite, sucking the souls from Spira! That's how I like to think of it anyway :p

Topaz Flare
06-20-2011, 06:01 PM
He's a tick, a parasite, sucking the souls from Spira! That's how I like to think of it anyway :p

now I feel like squishing it under my heel

Jessweeee♪
06-20-2011, 07:37 PM
That's the spirit! He's just a weak little bug that needs to latch onto a big bad Aeon to survive.