PDA

View Full Version : Why do the FF remakes on the DS have chibi graphics?

turikkusta4
11-05-2010, 10:12 PM
I've seen screenshots of the battles in Golden Sun: Dark Dawn and the characters are proportioned realistically so it isn't a hardware issue, right?

Roto13
11-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Because the original games had chibi graphics.

Rostum
11-05-2010, 10:56 PM
Because it's an artistic choice by the developers. I hate that a lot of gaming nerds want realism over anything with any sort of artistic substance. These super-deformed characters match the games extremely well, and are quite nice.

turikkusta4
11-06-2010, 12:54 AM
I hate that a lot of gaming nerds want realism over anything with any sort of artistic substance. These super-deformed characters match the games extremely well, and are quite nice.

I wouldn't have an issue with it the chibi graphics if it wasn't so heavily contrasted with high quality, realistic cutscenes (Well, as realistic as Square Enix's anime style gets). On an artistic level, I felt that was a bad choice, and definitely didn't match in that sense. Whether it's the in-game graphics or the cutscenes, I think one has to match the other to hold everything together, or at least make a more seamless experience between story and gameplay.

VeloZer0
11-06-2010, 01:28 AM
Meh, personal preference. I personally love chibi style graphics and am exceedingly pleased with the choice. I don't care for most of the more realistic looking renders they did of 8 & 16 bit characters they did for Dissidia.

(Wouldn't it have been nuts for Dissidia if they had all the characters in completely different styles)

turikkusta4
11-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Woops... I just discovered that there's only one realistic CG thing, and that's the opening. I'm so embarassed.. Yeah, I guess I'm cool with them doing that. It would've been so awkward if they used realistic cutscenes in-game.

It would be cool if they had varying styles of character design in Dissidia.

I actually like the type of chibi style they have in FFIV. They're not proportioned like babies in the 8 & 16 bit games. I couldn't take an RPG's serious moments too seriously if they were like that (too funny). As for chibi graphics in general, I'm not saying they have to go for the more realistic-looking designs, but I think they could design the characters with more style(The World Ends With You, Dragon Quest). Anyway, the realistic graphics for the FF series is all Square has been doing for their major titles, which will probably leave out chibi style graphics out of their remakes of FFV and VI. I think VI's story demands it (no spoilers please. I haven't finished it).

Please use the edit button if you want to add more to your post, instead of W-Posting. Thank you ~ WK

Elpizo
11-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Eh, aside from VIII, X, XI, XII and XIII, no FF has had non-chibi characters. So it's really only a recent developlent. Let's not forget that in VII you played with LEGO figures on the map and plastic dolls in battle.

DMKA
11-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Because it's an artistic choice by the developers. I hate that a lot of gaming nerds want realism over anything with any sort of artistic substance. These super-deformed characters match the games extremely well, and are quite nice.

Huh? From my experience it's the complete opposite; the wapanese nerds are the ones who want crap like deformed SO KAWAII characters, like the ones this thread is about. It's a sect of "casual" gamers who need everything to be super realistic otherwise it's not worth playing.

Unless we're talking specifically about "PC MASTER RACE" gamers, in which case you're spot on.

Bolivar
11-08-2010, 10:33 PM
I think it's definitely about keeping in style of the original game. The kinds of green colors you see on the world map in the 8-bit game is the same kind you see in the DS remake. Also, I like how they kept the little screen transition and noise when you go between levels (town to inside house/world map to town).

Realistic FFIII might be cool, but I'm more than happy with how the remake turned out. Plus there was only one cutscene and that was before the main menu, so it really didn't mess up the consistency to me.

Depression Moon
11-08-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't get how y'all say that pre-VII FFs have chibi graphics.

Roto13
11-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Use your eyes.

VeloZer0
11-08-2010, 11:37 PM
I don't see how those sprites were made to at all look realistic. A more proportioned look would be something like the post class change characters in FF1.

Depression Moon
11-09-2010, 12:28 AM
They just look like sprites like how most games back then looked.

Roto13
11-09-2010, 12:37 AM
They just look like sprites like how most games back then looked.

Most games had superdeformed characters.

Elly
11-10-2010, 01:50 PM
that whole superdeformed thing was only an attempt at an angled, top-down forced perspective anyway, hence the big head - tiny body thing going on there, the remakes are only trying to recapture that...

Mirage
11-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Also because if heads were gonna be realistically scaled to the rest of the sprites, they would be too small to have any distinct features and all heads would look like an unintelligible mess. Either that, or sprites would have to be really huge. Perhaps huger than the SNES hardware would be comfortable with.

Del Murder
11-13-2010, 01:21 AM
It's cuter that way.

Raven Riley
11-14-2010, 05:32 AM
I don't mind either way really, I think they look adorable though! :love:

turikkusta4
11-16-2010, 12:54 AM
haha I guess you're right about the heads. The new Golden Sun's sprites have that problem. ..but the summons look great! XD
The 3DS should be able to make character models as good as KH: Birth By Sleep. Honestly, if it couldn't as a next-gen handheld, that would've been pathetic.

I wonder what Square Enix will do with the soon-to-be-announced PSP2's supposed HD graphics.. :O *daydreams*

turikkusta4
11-16-2010, 12:57 AM
that whole superdeformed thing was only an attempt at an angled, top-down forced perspective anyway, hence the big head - tiny body thing going on there, the remakes are only trying to recapture that...

Rrmm! *squirms* But.. but, they can't do that to FFVI! I don't want 'em to.. It deserves at least a little more realism with it's story, in my opinion.

Elly
11-17-2010, 01:32 PM
i totaly agree, i think FFVI should get a total facelift, i just hope that they don't do like the GBA port and remove or change some scenes, all VI needs is better graphics and translation... that is if they even do a remake for it...

Roto13
11-17-2010, 05:48 PM
Any remake of VI or any other game that's just the same game with prettier graphics doesn't need or deserve to be made. Reimagine it or make something new.

Elpizo
11-18-2010, 05:51 PM
VI doesn't deserve a remake in the first place. V, now that's a whole other story. I want a copy of that game that doesn't erase all my savegames whenever I remove the cardridge from my DS Lite. Had a full bestiary, was in the Void, to boot. There went my save, my hours of work, and my patience with V Advance. It's eating dust for all eternity now.

Roogle
11-18-2010, 06:02 PM
I assumed that this was because it is much cheaper and easier to develop stylized graphics rather than true high definition graphics.

black orb
11-30-2010, 01:08 AM
Why do the FF remakes on the DS have chibi graphics?
>>> Because they are lazy..:luca:

Elpizo
11-30-2010, 10:53 AM
There's nothing lazy about chibi graphics. That's just bull.

black orb
12-13-2010, 04:47 AM
>>> Tell that to the 3D modelers/artists..:luca: