PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Final Fantasy Ending

Elskidor
11-06-2010, 03:47 AM
Have one? What say you?

Recently played all the endings back to back on youtube, and realized while some were awesome others were not nearly as good as they could have been. For as good as each story is all of them deserve a great ending.

Roto13
11-06-2010, 04:16 AM
I really liked the ending of Final Fantasy X because I was kind of hoping that Tidus the entire game but when he actually did it was a little sad.

Then Final Fantasy X-2 happened.

VeloZer0
11-06-2010, 07:18 AM
FFT, but if you are looking for a numbered one:

I liked FF7 for the fact that it left you wondering if humanity had been wiped out or not at the end of the game. With the whole compilation the afect is now completely lost, but there was always the nagging feeling in the back of my head that maybe things didn't work out so well after all.

All and all I liked it because even after I was satisfied the characters adventure was over it kept me thinking about it.

Roto13
11-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Final Fantasy VII's ending was terrible. :P Seriously. It's like "There was a flash and then some wolves ran and the game ended. The end."

VeloZer0
11-06-2010, 04:57 PM
It all depends what you are looking for. I personally find happily ever after to be extremely bland and boring. Most of the time I feel like it was a waste of time to have watched it.

I think a sense of happily ever after would have been very out of place with the game, a more thought provoking one fit it much better.

Though now that we know that Holy didn't wipe everyone out the ending is kind of sucky. But back in the day it had a much greater effect.

Flying Arrow
11-06-2010, 05:48 PM
^ Yup. Made me wonder if the characters saved the planet for themselves or just saved the planet in general regardless of the effect on them (of course they were always acting for their benefit, obviously). There are more than a few points in the game where characters assert that people are a plague on the planet, and that the planet (which is clearly sentient) would be better off without them. I always understood the ending as possibly suggesting that the planet has wiped out all potential threats in one fell swoop and taken itself back. A clean slate, I guess. Why else show Midgar flooded and overrun with plant-life?

But, yeah, happy endings are kind of boring. What's the point of a 50-hour story if the ending only consists of the lead male and female kissing, or the World Is Saved After All?

Elskidor
11-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Final Fantasy VII's ending was terrible. :P Seriously. It's like "There was a flash and then some wolves ran and the game ended. The end."

This. I remember liking the ending at the time, but after watching it last night I guess it was more for the new era of cinema scenes because there wasn't much to it at all. FFIX was a little to happy of ending and really short. Not a huge fan of Final Fantasy X, but I prefer it's bitter sweet tone over the overly happy ending theme. Breath of Fire 2 had multiple endings and I've always thought the ultimate ending was the tragic one, and found it much more fitting than the ending the game considered the "The Best Ending".

I've always liked Final Fantasy VI's ending but it might have a lot to do with it being my favorite game too so I'll rank it number 1 out of the pre-playstation era. VIII's ending is easily one of my favorites, and my favorite from the series from Playstation era and beyond.

charliepanayi
11-06-2010, 08:34 PM
FFVIII for me, because it's pretty much perfect. The trippy sequences, the really well done FMVs (complete with Eyes on Me and the brilliant Ending Theme - the bit where the former segues into the traditional Final Fantasy theme and the credits roll is a real favourite of mine), the camcorder bit at the end. It's sometimes funny, sometimes touching and just fantastic. Especially after the excellent final battle with Ultimecia.

That said, I always enjoy FF endings, the ones I've seen all have something to recommend them.

Hollycat
11-07-2010, 01:35 AM
ff8 definantly, cutscenes years ahead of its time

Laddy
11-08-2010, 01:35 AM
FFX. I hate Tidus, god knows I do. But I thought the ending was very touching and good. XIII had a decent ending was well.

Depression Moon
11-08-2010, 03:25 AM
IX's and X's those were the best two. IV for third place.

Elskidor
11-08-2010, 04:54 AM
XII had a sweet ending too. I Like Balthier a hell of alot, but if he'd actually sacrificed himself it may have been more emotional than Basch's flashback of his fallen brother.

kotora
11-08-2010, 03:00 PM
FFX has one of the few endings in the entire series that were actually properly done. Most of the games had those diabetes-inducing "oh yeah we beat the giant space monster now everyone is totally happy 4eva" kind of endings that just made me wanna puke.

charliepanayi
11-08-2010, 08:23 PM
FFX has one of the few endings in the entire series that were actually properly done. Most of the games had those diabetes-inducing "oh yeah we beat the giant space monster now everyone is totally happy 4eva" kind of endings that just made me wanna puke.

Er...which? Certainly not FFVI-FFIX (the main ones I've seen), all of which carry echoes of which are bitter sweet in places, or are left open-ended.

Roto13
11-08-2010, 08:27 PM
IX isn't particularly bittersweet aside from the fact that Vivi is probably dead.

charliepanayi
11-08-2010, 08:31 PM
IX isn't particularly bittersweet aside from the fact that Vivi is probably dead.

Yeah, aside from that trifling matter it's really saccharine. And what's wrong with an ending that's largely happy anyway.

Elskidor
11-09-2010, 05:35 AM
And what's wrong with an ending that's largely happy anyway.

Theoretically nothing. But for some reason I find that happy endings are less satisfying than ones that end on a half happy but also sadder tone. I guess for me it just makes it more realistic or something.

Omni-Odin
11-09-2010, 04:13 PM
I will go with FFX. But I could go through every one.

FFI-Pretty cool. Never-ending time-loop story-line hole. People still talk about it on here.

FFII-Happy go lucky. "Ding-dong the witch is dead, the witch is dead."

FFIII- Same as above, but I really liked the Warriors of light AND dark thing.

FFIV - Just pure awesomeness IMO. I just love the relationships and the moon/space thing was only really done in VII-IX since.

FFV - Not much ending. Just what we thought it might be for such a light-hearted game.

FFVI - I personally loathe the ending for this game. So much happens throughout the game and all we get is like 2 sentences of quotes from each character? Thought it could have been much better

FVII - Concur with the "mystery" element. I definitely thought it was awesome when I first played, but like most everyone said, now that the compilation is out, it makes the ending kind of drab. But still nostalgic.

FFVIII- Confusin, but hauntingly beautiful.

FFIX - Soooo happy-go-lucky it's ridiculous. Even with Vivi gone, his quotes at the end were uplifting. I like the ending.

FFXII - Ok so this ending is actually pretty good for a game that had such an offpace storyline. Go Basch, and Balthier is the man.

FFXIII- I actually was very satisfied with this ending, and think Leona Lewis' song actually meshes well with this particular FF.

And last, but not least (actually the best), FFX: I think this is far and away the best FF ending. I didn't hate Tidus, but did find him annoying. All the way until the final scene actually. The "Leap of 'FAITH'" at the end was totally symbolic imo. Also, it was great graphics and beautiful to the point where I don't think another game has touched this ending in terms of graphic quality. Seeing the aeons die off is pretty emotional too. And the full-game montage for Yuna's speech. basically I find Spira to be an amazing world full of vibrant people. Gives off an actual feeling of completion when you see the full stadium and everything. Ya, I love this game.

DMKA
11-10-2010, 04:05 AM
FFX was my favorite ending just because...it seemed the perfect way to end the game. Which is why X-2 annoyed me by ruining it.

VIII is probably my second favorite. It's just so emotional and brings everything to such a wonderful close.

Hollycat
11-10-2010, 04:26 AM

you see vivi in the cutscene

charliepanayi
11-10-2010, 09:18 AM

you see vivi in the cutscene

No you don't, you see Vivi's children.

Loony BoB
11-10-2010, 02:04 PM
VIII. It just covered all the bases for me, and I like that in an ending. Of the others I've got to and remember well enough, I liked how XIII ended, but I didn't like the scripting of it. I would adore a sequel to that game purely because I felt the end result of the game would be an incredible start to a new game compared to how XIII actually began. :p VII was okay, but eh, I felt it needed a little more. Not all the sequels, but more of just a slightly more fleshed out end result. XII was okay. Just didn't really capture my imagination, though. From something so dramatic as an end boss fight to something as casual as what it ended with? Eh. I preferred VIII's more dramatic variation. XII went too far ahead for it's explanation, too fast. I prefer seeing the more immediate aftermath of the big events than a "one month later..." kind of thing.

Clo
11-10-2010, 02:35 PM
FFVII is my favorite. I liked how it was a gradual build-up and the BAM, Lifestream, and then it just cuts off, making the whole thing up for interpretation. Anything that can be argued is good times. And I love the music that goes along with it!

FFVIII was my least favorite. I spent a long time trying to beat that game, due to a dysfunctional memory card that forced me to start over once, and when I finally saw the ending I threw down the controller. I found it a bit lame, anti-climactic and flashy, and it didn't seem like much of a reward for all the effort I had put in.

Bolivar
11-11-2010, 02:22 PM
I...think... I like the last FF's endings the best? X, XII, and XIII I mean.

The originals were a little too raw for me to say they were best, although IV stands out and comes close, and FFVI was certainly well done, especially for its time.

VII certainly isn't that great, but I still love it today b/c the whole thing was like a meaningful indie film from the 70/80's, or just a crazy Japanesey... thing. VIII was alright, but it just didn't do a lot for me except for Laguna seeing Raine's grave and looking at his ring.. That was kinda crazy. And I love FFIX as well, but it is far too kiddish to be "the best,", this is far and away the cheesiest FF there's ever been. Arguably the best, but the cheesiest.

The second time I beat FFX, which wasn't that long ago, it really hit me hard. For one, Yuna crying and running to grab Tidus, then falling flat on her face because he isn't real made me wanna bawl my eyes out. But the fact that after all that, all that struggle and strife that the world and the party went through to complete its quest, all these people get is regular mortality like we have, still dying from old age, disease, and sudden death, but without the constant threat of a huge sea monster doing it all the time. I was extremely moved by that realization, that they're having a smurfing world celebration because now they get to live like regular human beings. Kinda makes you cherish your own life a little more, ya know?

FFXII... I just became really attached to the characters and the story on my second and third playthroughs. To see Gabranth but it's really basch, because his brother's dead was crazy and just showed the sense of duty and what is right in this guy, because Archades would have crumbled without a concentrated seat of power. Penelo really came through to shine with her narration, and Uematsu's contribution to the game was MUCH MUCH MUCH appreciated. Good to see [Vaan and Penelo living out their dream as Sky Pirates and Balthier giving them a cryptic message mentioning GLABADOS!!!!

FFXIII was great too. The game kinda gives you a feeling the entire time that something really messed up and horrible is going to happen to one or all of the main characters at the end, and even though it kind of does with them turning to some crazy crystal thing, it's just nice at the same time and you appreciate it. Seeing Sera and Sazh coming is great, too. And I thought the Leona Lewis song actually fit in great, too! Which was surprising because I was kinda put off by its announcement. AND to see the Logo symbolized by what happens was incredible. Great ending.

Del Murder
11-13-2010, 01:37 AM
FFIX, because I like happy endings.

MJN SEIFER
11-15-2010, 12:53 PM
I liked FF7 for the fact that it left you wondering if humanity had been wiped out or not at the end of the game.

It did? Seriously was I the only one who watched that "500 Years Later" stuff?

VII was the first I completed, and the share intensity of whether Holy will work or not, and the inital feeling that whole things going to backfire on us was awsome, and I was so relieved at the end.

VI had a beutiful "together" type theme that just fitted the game, it was just beutiful in places.

VIII's is amazing, it just fits Squall perfectly, and the final evidence of who he is - I just wish they'd put dialogue to it, but maybe that was the point - we're supposed to make our own minds up here. Also "Eyes on Me" is a brilliant song.

VeloZer0
11-15-2010, 01:09 PM
I liked FF7 for the fact that it left you wondering if humanity had been wiped out or not at the end of the game.

The one that showed a species thought to be all but extinct looking down on the ruins of humanities most developed and populous center of civilization?

kotora
11-15-2010, 01:24 PM
that's like a shot of jackals standing on the ruins of Babylon or whatever. It doesn't prove anything.

MJN SEIFER
11-15-2010, 01:33 PM

The one that showed a species thought to be all but extinct looking down on the ruins of humanities most developed and populous center of civilization?

Yeah that one. :D I always figured that it was just showing that "We can start again", and that all past mistakes (i.e. Mako) were corrected.

VeloZer0
11-15-2010, 01:57 PM
that's like a shot of jackals standing on the ruins of Babylon or whatever. It doesn't prove anything.

No it doesn't. That was the point.

Rianoa
12-03-2010, 07:51 AM
I would have to say X they put allot of effort into it and it was sad to see all the aeons and the faith go to rest and Auron and Tidus dying.

blackmage_nuke
12-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I loved the ending to VI, especially the music theme transitions

Though VIII is not without it's charm.

Vyk
12-06-2010, 02:28 AM
I was originally surprised when I heard people had interpreted FF7's ending that way. The way I saw it was people stopped living in slums and stopped killing the planet (mining mako) and eventually abandoned Midgar which represented both, and it was left to ruin and get overrun with plant-life. It didn't signify anything about civilzation in general to me. Though I can see how people got that impression, but I still don't agree with it. I'm with MJN SEIFER. I just figured people learned and moved on, and life managed to grow out of the worst place on the planet

FF6 is probably my favorite. It seemed to tie up everything nicely for me. And it felt the most "complete". Though I do love ambiguity and interpretation. But I think I appreciated the closure to VI more so. The other games really didn't do anything for me though. FF4 may have been a contender if it hadn't cheaped out and magically brought everyone back to life

Wolf Kanno
12-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Oddly enough, FFI. It was great for its time when other games were doing "you saved the princess and the kingdom", this game gave you a "You saved the world but now no one knows you did it meaning you will die in obscurity." It just seemed the most realistic to me. It's a bittersweet ending.

Beyond that, I actually don't care for the majority of the series endings. I actually don't care for happy endings cause they are predictable. If you know its going to end happily, you can just look at each character and make a pretty easy guess as to what happened to them. The few that don't fall into the happy ending scenario usually had some issue (mostly I disliked the cast) that made enjoying the ending difficult.

NeoCracker
12-06-2010, 10:21 AM
I don't really like endings that leave it to you to interpret what happend. Not because I don't like imagining it, but I hate not having a solid conlcusion, and the lack of it just makes the writers look lazy.

If you are going to tell a god damn story, fucking finish it! :mad2:

A detail such as 'did civilization survive' isn't something that should be left up to you to figure out. That's pretty fucking important for a conclusion.

I'm not saying cover ever detail, just the massive stuff that concludes everything. You know, a conclusion.

I"m just rambling now....

Elskidor
12-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Oddly enough, FFI. It was great for its time when other games were doing "you saved the princess and the kingdom", this game gave you a "You saved the world but now no one knows you did it meaning you will die in obscurity." It just seemed the most realistic to me. It's a bittersweet ending.

After replaying this recently I have to agree it's a neat little way to wrap up that game. But It's also an ending that confuses me and makes me wonder what the hell? And what if? and why the..? I really like FF1's ending a lot more now than I use to.