PDA

View Full Version : Two Avatar sequels confirmed. Filmed back to back!

Dreddz
11-06-2010, 01:04 PM
EOFF's favourite movie is now getting two sequels, filmed back to back by James Cameron no less. Linky. (http://www.nme.com/movies/news/james-cameron-confirms-two-avatar-sequels/195772) The news is kind of old, and was kind of obvious after Avatar made so much money, but it is interesting to see James Cameron swallow two movies at once and release them only a year apart.

I'm excited, not just because Avatar was a fun movie in its own right, but because Cameron knows to take sequels seriously. Even if the sequels fail to meet expectations you know Cameron is will go all out either way. Also take into account that the Avatar universe is very open ended, he could make an entirely different movie to the original if he wanted. I'd like to see something focus more on the marine aspect of the original. Its been over twenty years since Aliens! Come on!

The only bad news to come out of this is that Battle Angel will be put on hold for a while. We're talking 2016 at the earliest. I think a gritty sci-fi movie is long over due from Cameron to be honest.

ChickenHeart
11-06-2010, 03:13 PM
I hated Avatar.

Madame Adequate
11-06-2010, 04:25 PM
I loved Avatar.

Roto13
11-06-2010, 04:33 PM
I won't be seeing these. Or any other 8-hour James Cameron movie. Or any other movie in 3D.

escobert
11-06-2010, 04:48 PM
meh. It was a decent movie but nothing special.

DMKA
11-06-2010, 04:55 PM
I loved Avatar, but I'm still not sure how I feel about a sequel, much less two. It just feels like such a complete film on it's own. I am excited though, and I have faith in them seeing as Cameron will be doing them both as well.

He needs to hurry up with Titantic II: Queen Mary though. Or better yet, just let Roland Emmerich do it. I want to see the Queen Mary crash into the Redondo Beach pier.

Shoeberto
11-06-2010, 05:06 PM
I loved Avatar, but I'm still not sure how I feel about a sequel, much less two. It just feels like such a complete film on it's own. I am excited though, and I have faith in them seeing as Cameron will be doing them both as well.

He needs to hurry up with Titantic II: Queen Mary though. Or better yet, just let Roland Emmerich do it. I want to see the Queen Mary crash into the Redondo Beach pier.
"Mr. President, there's an ice burg ahead! If we don't act quick, we'll run right into it!"
"Boys, go find all the gasoline, oil and flammable materials you can. Hell, even grab some space heaters. Let's melt this son of a bitch."

kotora
11-06-2010, 06:42 PM
at least the storylines won't be able to be any less original than that of the first one.

Roto13
11-06-2010, 06:46 PM
First one was Space Pochahontas.

Second one should be Space Lion King.

Madame Adequate
11-06-2010, 07:16 PM
Third one should be Famke Janssen lezzing out with Dita von Teese

IN SPACE

Rye
11-06-2010, 07:17 PM
Third one should be Famke Janssen lezzing out with Dita von Teese

IN SPACE

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYes

Rocket Edge
11-06-2010, 07:26 PM

Why are you so negative? Who gives a hoot about that when the film itself was spectacular.

Loved the first one, & I hope the sequels produce the same magic as before.

NorthernChaosGod
11-06-2010, 07:44 PM
If he throws some xenomorphs in it, I'll watch.

Why are you so negative? Who gives a hoot about that when the film itself was spectacular.

Because it wasn't spectacular, it was just pretty. :p

Dreddz
11-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Because it wasn't spectacular, it was just pretty. :p
Giovanni Ribisi and Stephen Lang made a very entertaining pair of villains. It wasn't just the effects that did it for me. Speaking of Quaritch, I hope to god they find a way to get him in the sequels. He truly is the man.

Madame Adequate
11-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Nah, the reason I like Avatar is because it genuinely is spectacular, in that it is a spectacle. It's more than just pretty, imho.

Clo
11-06-2010, 08:22 PM
Does it really need two sequels?

Roto13
11-06-2010, 08:35 PM

I'm negative because it was WAY too long and damn boring and it wouldn't have been nearly as successful if it wasn't 3D.

charliepanayi
11-06-2010, 08:38 PM
I'm not a huge fan (it's just not my sort of film) but at least Avatar is the one film so far to probably justify 3D and take advantage of the medium, rather than just being wholly a way to make more money from a film by doing a shoddy conversion into 3D after filming (*cough* Clash of the Titans, The Last Airbender *cough*).

And obviously sequels were inevitable, almost $3 billion of box office tends to make it so.

Chris
11-06-2010, 08:53 PM
I liked Avatar (still do), but I never quite understood the monumental hype, or the obvious protests coming from the "other side". It never seem to occur to either sides that it doesn't have to be either or. I think it's pretty, and despite its lackluster story and originality, I'll probably still go see both sequels. :D

Freya
11-06-2010, 10:44 PM
Can they make it Space Space Jam? :D

Wolf Kanno
11-06-2010, 10:49 PM
The fact I now have to wait even longer for a Battle Angel Alita movie just for a pair os sequels to a movie I didn't like makes me hate Avatar even more now. Smurf this movie, and the proverbial white horse everyone claim it came it on.

Please Cameron, for the love of god, you've had the rights to Alita for nearly twenty years now and have spent most of your time dicking around with Titanic documentaries, pet projects, and now your going to make a quick cash in for a recent successful film. Most anime nerds have never even heard of this series cause its that old. Are you seriously going to wait until even long time fans stop caring?

Roto13
11-06-2010, 11:10 PM
It's never happening. Let it go.

Dreddz
11-06-2010, 11:44 PM
It's never happening. Let it go.
I wouldn't go that far. You can mind numerous interviews with Cameron saying that its still on his radar. He was originally going to do it instead of Avatar but had to pull out at the last minute because of script issues. If Cameron does do another movie after he's finished with Avatar Batle Angel will most definitely be it. Its just that it'll be a LONG while till he's finished with Avatar. Best just not to think about it.

and now your going to make a quick cash in for a recent successful film.
Name me one movie by Cameron that can be regarded as a "quick cash in". He generally doesn't do stuff just for the money (he probably has enough anyway). I mean he decided to stop the Terminator series after the second which would seem crazy to most other directors.

Rianoa
11-07-2010, 01:21 AM
So they stole the Pocahontas storyline i wonder what he will do next for the storyline's steal Beauty and the Beast and Snow White for the two upcoming films storyline's just in 3D with blue people, Worst thing is its going to sell like hot cakes :\

Google Image Result for http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/012010/small_pocahontas%20avatar.jpg (http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/012010/small_pocahontas%2520avatar.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.blameitonthevoices.com/2010/01/disneys-avatar.html&h=584&w=600&sz=241&tbnid=dYGx_aj_-6KWIM:&tbnh=131&tbnw=135&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dpocahontas%2Bavatar&zoom=1&q=pocahontas+avatar&usg=__3oC-dt9iR1dt2UOS9EftLRnPbSM=&sa=X&ei=Xe7VTISdDM-C5Ablmb2wBw&ved=0CBkQ9QEwAA)

Elskidor
11-07-2010, 01:53 AM
Never thought of as stealing from Pocahontas, but that works too. Got a kick out of the first movies and the main character mirroring John Locke from Lost. Crippled dude ends up on an island and can magically walk and then meets the others and eventually becomes like a leader to them.

I'll watch them but I was not as crazy about Avatar as many were. I thought Terminator 1, 2, Titanic and a couple of his others were better, but I'd watch it again when ready to undergo a long film.

kotora
11-07-2010, 01:27 AM
I think it's not just Pocahontas that had that storyline. I could after a while predict exactly what scenes were going to follow and I've never even seen Pocahontas. The whole "dude gets friendly with the dude's he's supposed to kill but ends up fighting for them" plot is not exactly a rare trope in fiction and Avatar didn't do anything to keep it from being a cliche. Although it did look pretty.

Raistlin
11-07-2010, 01:27 AM
Dancing with Smurfs was certainly pretty, but not much beyond that. I am very apathetic towards the sequels.

Rostum
11-07-2010, 01:35 AM
I think it's not just Pocahontas that had that storyline.

It's not. Avatar basically just sticks really tight to the Hero's Journey structure, as do pretty much all movies out there. Just some hide it better than others, and Avatar didn't need to hide it since it had amazing visuals. No one simply goes in to Avatar for the story, but for the overall experience.

NorthernChaosGod
11-07-2010, 02:00 AM
Dancing with Smurfs was certainly pretty, but not much beyond that. I am very apathetic towards the sequels.

:lol:

Elskidor
11-07-2010, 03:11 AM
Well he could pull off a sequel that bests the original if anyone could. As much as like the original Terminator, T2 beats it hands down. It's incredibly rare when a sequel film surpasses it's origin.

Shlup
11-07-2010, 03:43 AM
Avatar was one of the lamest movies I've ever seen. I was not impressed by the "pretty." I have seen pretty things before; the Avatar pretty was not special. The story was unbearably lame. Unbearably.

Which means the sequels can't get much worse, so maybe I'll watch them.

Madame Adequate
11-07-2010, 04:49 AM
It seems that Raist is the only person to recognize that Avatar is Dances with Wolves IN SPACE, not Pocahontas IN SPACE

Maybe NCG

And honestly I don't need every single movie to be Citizen god damn Kane, I can watch something with a predictable plot if it's fun. Hell, I hated Avatar's dumb environmental anvils (Mainly because it's easy to be in tune with the planet when your planet is literally a living God and you can neurally interface with everything on it :monster:), doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I mean, not saying anyone else has to enjoy it, just saying I'm tired of seeing criticism of movies because they're not original or they stole a plot or whatever.

Bunny
11-07-2010, 05:33 AM
I disliked the movie because it was terrible, standard plotline aside.

kotora
11-07-2010, 09:39 AM
lack of originality was not the problem, the problem was the movie failing to make up for it.

charliepanayi
11-07-2010, 10:16 AM
Well he could pull off a sequel that bests the original if anyone could. As much as like the original Terminator, T2 beats it hands down. It's incredibly rare when a sequel film surpasses it's origin.

As good as the sequel is, The Terminator is better than Terminator 2. Terminator 2 certainly doesn't beat it 'hands down'.

Psychotic
11-07-2010, 11:03 AM
can't james cameron remake final fantasy vii with this tech it would make a great movie and I guarantee there wouldn't be a dry eye in the house when legendary swordsman sephiroth betrays his dear old friend cloud strife by plunging his masamune through the heart of innocent aeris gainsborough

or pokemon

pokemon'd be good too

Pheesh
11-07-2010, 02:24 PM
It seems that Raist is the only person to recognize that Avatar is Dances with Wolves IN SPACE, not Pocahontas IN SPACE

Or everyone else who watched that South Park episode...

I was glad I saw the movie in 3D, because it was visually stunning. But aside from that it really wasn't all that great.

Madame Adequate
11-07-2010, 03:31 PM

As good as the sequel is, The Terminator is better than Terminator 2. Terminator 2 certainly doesn't beat it 'hands down'.

Objectively wrong.

Rocket Edge
11-07-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm negative because it was WAY too long and damn boring and it wouldn't have been nearly as successful if it wasn't 3D.
I can't grasp the fact that you can call a film like Avatar boring, but hey. Deserves to be mentioned that I never seen it in 3D either.

It annoys me sometimes in this site that so many people purposely go against the grain to be different, by saying the movie is :bou::bou::bou::bou:. If Avatar was some underground gem that few people would have seen, and you somehow managed to come across it, I'm sure your opinions of it would be different, if even a little.

Roto13
11-07-2010, 03:59 PM
I can't grasp the fact that you can call a film like Avatar boring, but hey. Deserves to be mentioned that I never seen it in 3D either.

It annoys me sometimes in this site that so many people purposely go against the grain to be different, by saying the movie is :bou::bou::bou::bou:. If Avatar was some underground gem that few people would have seen, and you somehow managed to come across it, I'm sure your opinions of it would be different, if even a little.Yeah, that's right. If people hate something popular it's because they're hipsters. Great.

It was boring in the way the third Matrix movie was boring. Plenty of special effects, but at that point, I just wanted to go home.

Dreddz
11-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Both are quite different in tone so I reckon its just down to personal preference. Do you like dark gritty sci fi movies or fluffy blockbusters (not that T2 is tame but you know what I mean). I prefer T2 although I always liked Arnie more as a bad Terminator rather than a good one.

It annoys me sometimes in this site that so many people purposely go against the grain to be different, by saying the movie is :bou::bou::bou::bou:. If Avatar was some underground gem that few people would have seen, and you somehow managed to come across it, I'm sure your opinions of it would be different, if even a little.
Completely agree. If Avatar was a commercial failure or if its story was based on a book people wouldn't be nearly as harsh on it. It suffered the same fate as Titanic. Both Avatar and Titanic have their flaws but they can be admired on some level that people choose to ignore just because they made billions.

Bunny
11-07-2010, 05:30 PM

It annoys me that, when a few people dislike a movie based on solid reasons, the people who actually enjoyed the movie come up with some over-to-top explaination that usually involves the movies popularity somehow. I dislike the movie because I dislike the movie, your enjoyment or dislike of the movie has absolutely no bearing on anything that I will ever do. Get over it.

NorthernChaosGod
11-07-2010, 07:17 PM
It annoys me that, when a few people dislike a movie based on solid reasons, the people who actually enjoyed the movie come up with some over-to-top explaination that usually involves the movies popularity somehow. I dislike the movie because I dislike the movie, your enjoyment or dislike of the movie has absolutely no bearing on anything that I will ever do. Get over it.

It really bears repeating.

Raistlin
11-07-2010, 07:21 PM
Or everyone else who watched that South Park episode...

Yeah it was a South Park reference, which was funny because it was so true. I've seen it compared tons of times to Dances with Wolves before that, though.

Madame Adequate
11-07-2010, 07:28 PM
HIPSTERS EVERYWHERE

charliepanayi
11-07-2010, 07:52 PM

Yeah I mean everyone here hated Inception and Toy Story 3 after all.

Depression Moon
11-07-2010, 07:58 PM
I don't think Avatar needed a sequel let alone two.

Rocket Edge
11-07-2010, 08:56 PM
Haha, relax. The term wasn't directed individually. It's just a typical thing that people tend to do.

Bunny
11-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Yeah, you didn't say anyone in particular, but you still directed the comment towards the people on this forum that disliked the movie, which includes only a handful of members and only a couple people that have already posted in this thread.

Also, I'm completely relaxed. You couldn't make me angry if you tried.

NorthernChaosGod
11-08-2010, 04:08 AM
Go Bunny.

Mirage
11-08-2010, 05:06 AM
I won't be seeing these. Or any other 8-hour James Cameron movie. Or any other movie in 3D.
Cool, so you'll be watching the sequels then?

That's not negative. Pocahontas was cool and lion king was even better. Putting them in space is just icing on the cake.

DMKA
11-08-2010, 05:19 AM

I'd buy ten copies.

Elskidor
11-08-2010, 05:39 AM

Ok not "hands down", but it's labeled as one of the rare sequels that beat it's predecessor. So while many still find the original the best, the sequel is well known for being just as good and for a lot of people even better. I love them both! Just saying the dude has it in him to make a sequel into a masterpiece.

Shiny
11-08-2010, 05:57 AM
Ugh, Hollywood constantly milking things with sequels or remakes. Too little originality in American cinema these days. I enjoyed Avatar in terms of special effects only. The rest was mediocre or crap. They don't need to make sequels to this. Come up with something new Cameron.

lol Yeah that's why people dislike it. "To go against the grain." There's plenty of underground movies that suck just as much as Avatar -- if not more.

EDIT: I also liked Titanic and Terminator, so yeah. I fail to see how the money or popularity something has is any reason to hate it. Sometimes movies are hated because they're garbage. Plain and simple. I will at least admit that Avatar was pretty garbage.

Rocket Edge
11-08-2010, 05:15 PM
Yeah, you didn't say anyone in particular, but you still directed the comment towards the people on this forum that disliked the movie, which includes only a handful of members and only a couple people that have already posted in this thread.

Since when was I attempting to make you angry? Was it my first or second post? I'm gonna leave this debate because some people here don't see my point of view, and never will. I know how stubborn people are on the net.

@Shiny - I never said it was the sole reason why some people disliked the movie.

Roto13
11-08-2010, 07:13 PM

Since when was I attempting to make you angry? Was it my first or second post? I'm gonna leave this debate because some people here don't see my point of view, and never will. I know how stubborn people are on the net.

@Shiny - I never said it was the sole reason why some people disliked the movie.

I don't usually use this particular acronym, but:

lol

Roogle
11-08-2010, 07:23 PM
How interesting. I wonder what the plot of the sequels will be. I agree with DMKA that Avatar seems like a very standalone title.

Bunny
11-08-2010, 09:09 PM

"Haha, relax."

I really like how "we" are stubborn for not accepting your point of view but you are almost completely unwilling to accept one that differs from your own. That was a nice touch on your 'exit'.

McLovin'
11-08-2010, 09:45 PM
If they can recreate some of the epic fight scenes from the original than it should still be interesting to watch.

Meat Puppet
11-09-2010, 12:17 PM
Can't wait to see

Aliens in THE WILD WEST, directed by Jonathan Mostow
is this how we do it, I am not too sure

Rocket Edge
11-10-2010, 04:42 PM
"Haha, relax."

I really like how "we" are stubborn for not accepting your point of view but you are almost completely unwilling to accept one that differs from your own. That was a nice touch on your 'exit'.
If I'm being honest I never mean't to tick you off by saying that. When you said 'get over it' i just thought you were getting yourself a little worked up.

As for the point at hand, i'll try to explain it better. When Avatar came out, it was both a critial and (obviously) commercial success. Everyone I asked about the film said it was beyond great. After a while some of the same people who said it was great started saying it was over-rated and so-on. It's a bit typical. You would have to be stupid to think along the lines of; the only people who didn't like it think it's overrated, but you can't deny that there is a section of people who purposely say that something commercial is lower in their eye just to say "hey, I'm not like everyone else who said they loved it!". I come to this website and see a fair chunk of people saying they hate the film. Some may genuinely dislike it, that wasn't what I was arguing against. But when I see a film that done so well and which so many people loved to see it bashed over on this site I just think, how typical. Maybe its just a rare co-incidence.

Skyblade
11-10-2010, 08:16 PM
"So well done"? Are we talking about the same movie here? The plot was bogus, the characters were horrible, the entire premise made no sense.

It had nothing going for it but the graphics (which, frankly, didn't impress me much either), and those will be outdated soon anyway, if they aren't already.

Peegee
11-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Meh Titanic made like 1.8-1.9 billion dollarados and there's no sequel about that (youtube videos heavily using basketball diaries doesn't count) - and this movie makes no space for a sequel. Also even if I really like a movie (say Iron Man for example) sequels tend to suck. Could you imagine if Dark Knight wasn't as engrossing as it was? The Joker wasn't supposed to last - it was two face who was supposed to live. God I would hate the franchise if they killed the Joker and I had to put up with that idiot of an actor for another movie.

The point is I don't see a point to a sequel other than a cash grab, which is all I can see it as. Will I watch it? Ugh....fffuuuuuuu

And that's why I'm mad. I probably will.

Rocket Edge
11-11-2010, 04:40 PM
"So well done"? Are we talking about the same movie here? The plot was bogus, the characters were horrible, the entire premise made no sense.

It had nothing going for it but the graphics (which, frankly, didn't impress me much either), and those will be outdated soon anyway, if they aren't already.
I said 'did so well'. Don't take my word for it, just look at the box office draw.

Eslocklier
11-11-2010, 08:06 PM
like the original, I'll see em both in theaters for the visual effect, but won't have much interest past that.