PDA

View Full Version : They're More Than Meets The Eye....

BG-57
11-06-2010, 06:18 PM
So, what did you think of the Eidolons in the game? Did you have a favorite? Was their ability to transform into a vehicle mode a nice addition or a cheap gimmick?

My favorite was Brynhildr, because she looked awesome in both humanoid and car modes. I also liked her interplay with Sazh in combat, his casual oh hai there when she appears behind him was neat.

Rianoa
11-06-2010, 06:46 PM
I have to say Bahamut but hes been my Favorite in all the games :P

Wolf Kanno
11-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Alexander was my fave even if he was attached to one of my least favorite characters in the cast.

I found vehicle mode to be really gimmicky. I didn't mind the summons being machines but I never really liked the idea they turned into vehicles and I was pretty annoyed the game fails to explain why so it just makes the whole thing feel even more B Movie cheese. Course I felt the summons were pretty useless in this game except their little habit of restoring your whole party after they are summoned.

Jessweeee♪
11-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Alexander was pretty awesome. He's a giant fort!

VeloZer0
11-07-2010, 04:33 PM
The whole vehicle thing seems extra stupid when you see them constantly being used as vehicles in FMVs yet the only way you can get around expediently is on a chocobo.

I personally had no use for them. I'm not a fan of summons introducing a whole new game mechanic.

Roogle
11-08-2010, 07:08 PM
I agree. I had little use for the Eidolons in combat, and I did not like their presentation in the game or in the story.

Bolivar
11-08-2010, 10:56 PM
I think their presentation was inherently flawed because they were each tied to a separate character, but in practice, you really need a tank (Commando/Sentinel) to be your party leader because a few wrong hits to someone weak like Hope, and it's game over. So the only GFs I really got to see were Odin and Shiva sisters, Bahamut I never used because I just didn't care anymore by the time I got The Dragon King.

People complain about the Phantom Beasts being useless in FFXII, but I think this game took it to a new, indefensible level.

Still enjoyed it, though!

Raven Riley
11-14-2010, 05:12 AM
I voted for Hecatoncheir because of the funny noise Vanille makes :lol:

[.Pearl.]
12-08-2010, 05:22 AM
I really like Alexander, because of how symbolic he is as the incarnation of Hope's true inner strength. And I've always liked Alexander lol.

Lamia
12-09-2010, 02:37 PM
I think summons being able to turn into vehicles makes sense in the world of FFXIII considering Fal'cie are spiritual machines (machine in flesh, but with a life essence/soul/spirit/concioussness).

Wolf Kanno
12-09-2010, 03:45 PM
I would disagree, I feel your theory works on the concept that they are organic machines but it fails to give a satisfying reasoning to why they transform into vehicles. The fal'Cie may have been organic machines as well but they didn't really transform beyond Barthandelus, and certainly not into vehicles. ;)

Elskidor
12-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Ooops. Just realized I forgot to try them all out. Lightning was my main so saw plenty of Odin, but I think that's the only one I saw. Will have to try it out later if I remember.

Loony BoB
12-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Eidolon: A tool used to bring adamantoise to it's knees.

That's how I played the game, anyway. I never really used them more than once each outside of that, and that was only to see what they were like. I feel summons have lost importance over the years, the last time I regularly used summons was probably FFVIII. Oddly, the more interactive they are, the less I want to use them... go figure.

DMKA
12-15-2010, 03:53 AM
I use the summons in this game to save me from certain death.

My favorite is probably Odin because he saves me from dying the most. :p

Aside of FFX and FFXIII, summons aren't particularly useful to me, though the first few times I played FFVII and FFVIII I would summon constantly...now I'm not sure why I did that. But X's were lots of fun to play around with and could really help you win some of the tougher battles, and XIII's are great if you need to replenish your party and have no easy means to do it, not to mention basically all the hits you get in with them are free.

I agree with the sentiment about the driving/gestalt mode aspect being dumb though. It makes no sense that I can find, and it just looks incredibly silly to see Odin transform into a horse and Bahamut into a hoverboard. But nothing looks quite as ridiculous as when you're fighting enemies by doing wheelies with Snow's Shiva cycle and spinning your tires to make sparks with Sazh's flaming racecar.

Vyk
12-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Guessing one of the execs' 6-year-old son just got done watching one of the Transformers movie and said "Daddy, wouldn't it be cool if your game had transformers?"