PDA

View Full Version : This is Not Music

Shiny
11-07-2010, 02:12 AM
Why My Hair (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymKLymvwD2U)

Discuss recent music (past decade) that you think completely blows.

kotora
11-07-2010, 02:40 AM
anything by Beyonce is fucking awful and yet they play it over and over again on the radio

then again most songs on the radio suck balls, but she just stands out among all the suckage.

Inferno
11-07-2010, 02:44 AM
50 Cent is by far the leader in this category, imo

Pheesh
11-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Kesha.

Roto13
11-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I think a lot of people need to learn to just shut up and enjoy a song because it's catchy and fun. I have long since moved past this "But is it ART" crap that prevents me from listening to the radio.

There's still quite a bit of :bou::bou::bou::bou: on there, though.

Clo
11-07-2010, 03:40 PM
Oh my god, that girl in the video with the heart hair -

Oh my god.

Pheesh
11-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I think a lot of people need to learn to just shut up and enjoy a song because it's catchy and fun. I have long since moved past this "But is it ART" crap that prevents me from listening to the radio.

Catchy and fun is fine, having millions of people idolize you and your auto-tuned voice while you sing about absolute crap isn't.

Jessweeee♪
11-07-2010, 03:50 PM

In the seven years I spent living in Texas I have trained myself to tolerate, and many times even enjoy music I'd normally not like. I can even almost enjoy Owl City. I am a much happier person than I was before, now that things I hear every day no longer send me into fits of rage.

EDIT:

The only song I can't at all tolerate right now is Journey's Don't Stop Believing :stare:

Roto13
11-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Catchy and fun is fine, having millions of people idolize you and your auto-tuned voice while you sing about absolute crap isn't.
Auto-tuned crap lyrics are fine with me if it has a beat and you can dance to it.

Rocket Edge
11-07-2010, 03:57 PM

A deserved mention, but Rihanna is by far the worst.

Pheesh
11-07-2010, 04:42 PM

Auto-tuned crap lyrics are fine with me if it has a beat and you can dance to it.

Fair enough... that's nothing to be proud of though.

escobert
11-07-2010, 04:44 PM
add Lil Wyane, Soulja Boy and T-pain and yeah.

Old Manus
11-07-2010, 05:23 PM
I went to Download festival this year, and while I meanly went to see AC/DC and Rage Against the Machine, I'm not into heavy heavy metal, and some bands were just :bou::bou::bou::bou:e. It just sounded like a guy throwing up violently into the microphone while guitarists shake their heads up and down.

I'm not going to name any names, but Lamb of God, Unearth, Deftones (Killswitch: Engage also did it, but their music was pretty good so that made up for it).

Yeah, flame me bitches. Metalheads are the worst type of fanboy.

Pheesh
11-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm not a huge fan (I have one album), but I never really thought you'd lump deftones in with screamo groups like the ones you listed. I hate all of that stuff as well (Attack Attack are so :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty that it's actually entertaining), so it's not like I'm biased. I know the deftones singer screams in some songs, but for a large majority he is singing fairly normally.

Old Manus
11-07-2010, 05:32 PM
I've never heard any of their studio stuff. Could have just been a poor live performance.

escobert
11-07-2010, 05:54 PM
out of the bands you named Deftones are the only one that's any good :p

Pheesh
11-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Dude, did you not see him say RATM!? They were the second best live show I ever saw, fucking awesome.

NorthernChaosGod
11-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Pretty much everything on the radio is garbage and I don't listen to it because I'm not poor and I have an iPod to play.

I'm not a huge fan (I have one album), but I never really thought you'd lump deftones in with screamo groups like the ones you listed. I hate all of that stuff as well (Attack Attack are so :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty that it's actually entertaining), so it's not like I'm biased. I know the deftones singer screams in some songs, but for a large majority he is singing fairly normally.

I do not think you know what screamo is, sir.

Madame Adequate
11-07-2010, 07:24 PM
The only song I can't at all tolerate right now is Journey's Don't Stop Believing :stare:

You are a horrible person and you should be flayed alive.

Oh also Deftones = overrated pap

Aydin
11-07-2010, 07:27 PM
Gurl! This is MAH JAM!!!!

Whip mah hurr!!! ♪♪♪♪

Madame Adequate
11-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Gurl! This is MAH JAM!!!!

Whip mah hurr!!! ♪♪♪♪

Oh god I had repressed that somewhere deep and dark

Pheesh
11-07-2010, 08:07 PM

Is there screaming involved :roll2

NorthernChaosGod
11-07-2010, 08:21 PM

Is there screaming involved :roll2
"Modern music genres, such as post-hardcore, metalcore, powerviolence, deathcore and death metal as well as others are often incorrectly referred to as "screamo".[38] This is because many define screamo as any style of music that incorporates screamed vocals, claiming that the term "describes a thousand different genres."
Screamo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screamo#Misuse_of_the_term_.22screamo.22)

Pheesh
11-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Maybe instead of coming up with fancy names for all of their freakishly similar styles of music they could...oh, I don't know, learn to sing instead?

NorthernChaosGod
11-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Maybe instead of being a tool, you could... oh, I don't know, not be a tool?

Pheesh
11-07-2010, 09:10 PM
Aha, really? Look at my sig if you want to appropriately gauge my response to that 'come-back'.

Breine
11-07-2010, 09:28 PM

wat

Freya
11-07-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm guessing Jess doesn't like it anymore cause glee plastered that song everywhere. It use to be one of my favorite songs but now I'm so annoyed with it. Essentially that happens with most the songs I like :(

I like the slutpop or crappypop cause I usually can at least dance to it and I love dancing. I wont vouch for it being he best music ever but it is fun enough to shake my booty too and that's all that matters!

Momiji
11-07-2010, 10:12 PM

Discuss recent music (past decade) that you think completely blows.

It's repetitive, annoying, obnoxious, and unimaginative. How the smurf does that have over 10,000,000 views? :|

Hell, I liked 90's pop over this. As manufactured and cookie-cutter as many of them were, at least there were... y'know, melodies and lyrics beyond I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH I WHIP MY HAIR BACK AND FORTH :rolleyes:

Depression Moon
11-07-2010, 10:44 PM
YouTube - Soulja Boy Tell'em - Yahhh! / Report Card ft. Arab (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om4eqmF1hlM)

I despise the person who gave this boy a record deal.

Levian
11-07-2010, 11:07 PM
She's got something on her lips

Momiji
11-07-2010, 11:15 PM
YouTube - Soulja Boy Tell'em - Yahhh! / Report Card ft. Arab (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om4eqmF1hlM)

I despise the person who gave this boy a record deal.

I weep for humanity.

Old Manus
11-07-2010, 11:36 PM
"Modern music genres, such as post-hardcore, metalcore, powerviolence, deathcore and death metal as well as others are often incorrectly referred to as "screamo".[38] This is because many define screamo as any style of music that incorporates screamed vocals, claiming that the term "describes a thousand different genres."
Screamo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maybe instead of being a tool, you could... oh, I don't know, not be a tool?This is what I meant by metalheads being the worst kind of fanboy. I'm sorry bro, but when bands are creating genres (for themselves only) with names such as 'powerviolence' and having their rabid fans argue endlessly over whether their favourite band Bathtub :bou::bou::bou::bou:ter complies to the sounds of experimental doomcore or cyber-goregrind (I didn't make those up), it just makes me :|

Roto13
11-07-2010, 11:43 PM

Maybe instead of being a tool, you could... oh, I don't know, not be a tool?This is what I meant by metalheads being the worst kind of fanboy. I'm sorry bro, but when bands are creating genres (for themselves only) with names such as 'powerviolence' and having their rabid fans argue endlessly over whether their favourite band Bathtub :bou::bou::bou::bou:ter complies to the sounds of experimental doomcore or cyber-goregrind (I didn't make those up), it just makes me :|

See also: the fact that "crabcore" is an actual thing.

Madame Adequate
11-07-2010, 11:46 PM
If you mean to imply that anything known as "crabcore" could be anything except superlative, I think you didn't think your implication all the way through.

Laddy
11-08-2010, 01:19 AM
Screaming is retarded, learn to sing, skinny boys, while you and your 90 pound bodies still have functioning vocal cords.

Nickelback, Fall Out Boy, and Paramore as well as the lot of :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty metal that seems to be popular these days are awful. I think Indie Rock needs to get more poular, seeing it's the only subgenre of rock that has any hope of saving the genre.

Ke$ha's pretty bad. 303 (I refuse to type anything else) is godawful. Lady Gaga isn't too bad, but she's not the savior of music people say she is.

Jessweeee♪
11-08-2010, 02:37 AM
Perhaps someone can explain shoegaze to me?

EDIT:

I'm guessing Jess doesn't like it anymore cause glee plastered that song everywhere. It use to be one of my favorite songs but now I'm so annoyed with it. Essentially that happens with most the songs I like :(

Glee didn't plaster it everywhere (though it is Glee's fault that I was forced to listen to the choir sing it at graduation). Everyone plastered it everywhere. When I was in high school, every year the senior class was allowed to choose a song to be "their" song, it was always this song. Every fucking time. I can't turn the TV on without hearing it, I can't go out with friends without somebody blasting it on their iPod, I can't even go into a fucking Wal-Mart without hearing it. And every time I mention the fact that I'm not fond of the song everyone tells me what a horrible person I am.

Do any of you hate even the best of Christmas music just because you have to hear it everywhere you go during the month of December every single year? Well that's what it's like with this song. Every fucking day.

Marshall Banana
11-08-2010, 03:48 AM
Hahahaha (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjSG6z_13-Q)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Kirobaito
11-08-2010, 03:53 AM
*Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" comes on at the bar*

Man: Hey, I love this song!

Woman: Really? I love this song! Let's smurf!

I also don't like that song. I just don't get it, but that goes along with the fact that I don't get the eighties at all. As a friend of mine said, the purpose of the eighties is to keep people from wishing they were around for the sixties.

I'm also not a fan of Christmas music.

NorthernChaosGod
11-08-2010, 04:08 AM

I do a copy and paste insult and I get serious responses? :lol:

Seriously though, I don't come up with the names nor do I use most of them.

DMKA
11-08-2010, 05:24 AM
I LOVE "Whip My Hair". Willow Smith is adorable and it's a catchy uplifting song that's great to drive to. Haters gonna hate, etc.

Honestly I think the worst thing about the last decade's music is not the music itself, but is all the hipster "SOOOO DEEEEEPPP NO ARTISTIC MERIT BECAUSE HOW SOMETHING IS CREATED NOT WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS DETERMINES WHETHER I LIKE A FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT OR NOT AND THEREFORE I REFUSE TO LISTEN TO A SONG I WOULD OTHERWISE LIKE BECAUSE OF THIS I HATE ANYTHING THAT IS POPULAR MAINSTREAM IS EVIL NO FUN ALLOWED BRB NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL PRIMORDIAL SOUP WEEN YEEEAAAAAABAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111" crap that I constantly listened to in high school and still constantly read online, even on this very forum.

It's an idiotic way of thinking and the fact that people past age 16 still have that mentality disappoints me.

Mirage
11-08-2010, 04:05 PM
Going around saying x is not music because whatever subjective reason you've got is pretty dumb though. It's music, just not your type of music, and I think people who has a need to constantly go on about how his own music is better, more technical, more complex and more whatever is just an attention needy douchebag with superiority complexes.

I didn't really like that willow smith song. most stuff on the radio is things I would never actively seek out on my own, simply because I've got things that I think are better to listen to. It is rare that I ask someone to actually turn off a song that has already gotten on just because I don't like it all that much.

Bunny
11-08-2010, 04:33 PM
This thread gives me a boner. That is how awesome this thread is.

Madame Adequate
11-08-2010, 05:53 PM
I also don't like that song. I just don't get it, but that goes along with the fact that I don't get the eighties at all. As a friend of mine said, the purpose of the eighties is to keep people from wishing they were around for the sixties.

The purpose of the 80s is the be the paragon of decades to which all other decades should aspire. It is the Holy Grail for any other time period to seek regardless of their inability to find it.

nik0tine
11-08-2010, 06:06 PM

Post of the mothersmurfing year.

Honestly I think the worst thing about the last decade's music is not the music itself, but is all the hipster "SOOOO DEEEEEPPP NO ARTISTIC MERIT BECAUSE HOW SOMETHING IS CREATED NOT WHAT IT ACTUALLY IS DETERMINES WHETHER I LIKE A FORM OF ENTERTAINMENT OR NOTAlthough, this one is pretty good too.

Fuzakeru
11-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Mmmm. I dislike songs at times cause maybe I'm not in a Single Ladies mood or in a Bubba Shot the Jukebox mood but I don't typically hate any song.

Alive-Cat
11-08-2010, 06:42 PM
What Roto said, at some point, in the beginning of this thread.
But also right, I'm definitely one of those arty type people, I prefer music that's meaningful and just basically not crap. But at some point while I was growing up I stopped hating everything that I thought wasn't creative enough. Music just being music is okay. Does it really matter? If it sounds good then that's alright as well.
Something that made me laugh once - my girlfriend is massively into Mcfly, like most girls seem to be. When I was like thirteen or whatever I would of been one of those kids like "omfg i hate mcfly theyre so gay and cheesy and childish". Now, I don't really give a :bou::bou::bou::bou:. I really don't care, and some of the tunes are actually alright, I don't mind listening to them. But the actual point of the story - this guy I know is massively into You Me At Six, Fall Out Boy and all that sort of music. And we were all having a conversation once about Mcfly and he was like "Mcfly are just not for me, they're pop and just stupid. When you get older you won't like them anymore." And I was like WTF. You listen to You Me At Six. They're the same thing as Mcfly. It's all pop music marketed towards teens. There's no difference. And there's actually nothing wrong with the music. The truly grown up thing to do would be to just accept that. :p

So I guess, eventually, my long-winded point, BASICALLY, in the end, is what Roto said, at some point, in the beginning of this thread.

EDIT: although in a way, this kind of proves that I'm victim to this as well, because I just wanna say for my own pride's sake that I don't listen to Mcfly. Ever. But if it's on, I can tolerate it.

NeoCracker
11-09-2010, 04:01 AM
I will state right now my issue with 'I dont' care as long as I can dance to it'.

Finding music that can be danced to isn't hard. It has and always will be in abundance. You know what else isn't hard? Finding music that you can dance to AND isn't complete and total drivel. Contrary to popular belief, catchy and dancable music is not in any kind of contradiction with quality. Get some fucking higher standards.

[/oldmanrant]

fire_of_avalon
11-09-2010, 05:52 AM
I don't really give a crap about a crap but microgenres like powerviolence, anarcho-punk, cyber metal, skunk etc. were around before most of you were born.

There's lots of stuff I hate but somebody out there likes it. As long as it makes somebody dance it's okay.

Pheesh
11-09-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't really give a crap about a crap but microgenres like powerviolence, anarcho-punk, cyber metal, skunk etc. were around before most of you were born.

I don't see how that makes them any less stupid...

Alive-Cat
11-09-2010, 10:55 AM
The thing I find with music like Grindcore and all the many subgenre's of subgenre's similar to it, is that you can't dance to it.
I really like Hardcore - the original bands from the 80's and hardcore bands from recent years, like F****d Up. Trash Talk. Sometimes The Dillinger Escape Plan. Refused are not only one of the best hardcore bands ever but I think one of the most creative bands ever.
Except for some 'Dillinger, those bands have a beat that you can feel, you can listen to it, nod your head and think 'this sounds cool.'
The other types of 'core's that are going round, most of the time it seems like the beat is so fast and pounding, it doesn't have a groove or rhythm. At all. I know sometimes this is because the band's are experimenting with creating really complex rhythms that are based on maths or whatever (Mathcore) and you have to use your brain to work it out...In my opinion that sort of thing would be better suited to a science lab but w/e. You can't dance to it and you can't listen to it quietly while thinking some introspective thoughts, so therefore it has no use to me. Except live. But putting live performance into the mix will make all of this even more complicated so for now we'll stick to talking about recorded music.
So as for all the genre's with CORE on the end, I have no problem with the music existing and for it to even exist people must like it. So yeah. Indifference.

Meat Puppet
11-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Anyone who likes the music they listen to has a good taste in music.

Madame Adequate
11-09-2010, 06:08 PM

I don't see how that makes them any less stupid...

I don't think anarcho-punk fits in with the others. Nor does skunk for that matter (Seeing as it's just another way of saying ska punk, which is a pretty big and distinct genre).

NorthernChaosGod
11-10-2010, 02:38 AM
Anything I don't like is stupid

Fix'd

Shiny
11-10-2010, 02:41 AM
Hahahaha (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjSG6z_13-Q)

Not only is the song horrible, but she has bird wings. What the eff.

What bothers me the most about that Smith song is that she's saying whip. It's like no little Smith, you're not whipping anything at your age. Sit down and eat your Cheerios.

Pheesh
11-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Anything I don't like is stupid

Fix'd

I can still appreciate plenty of music I don't like or wouldn't listen to. I don't like dreamtheatre but I can still appreciate the talent those guys have, I hate meshugga but some of the drumming/guitar in their songs is really awesome, same with jazz and blues and heaps of other stuff.

But that doesn't mean that I should pretend to act like a crabcore (seriously, what the fucking fuck?) band is any different from all those other pointless metal genres. If they want to be so different and unique why don't they put a little bit more effort into their music, as opposed to trying to define themselves with a name. Also, screaming for a whole song does not hold the same musical merit as actually using your vocal chords to sing.

NeoCracker
11-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Unrelated, if that bird wing outfit was on someone who was actually hot, It would be sexy.

Saddly it's on that shrill woman.

NorthernChaosGod
11-11-2010, 03:34 AM
I can still appreciate plenty of music I don't like or wouldn't listen to. I don't like dreamtheatre but I can still appreciate the talent those guys have, I hate meshugga but some of the drumming/guitar in their songs is really awesome, same with jazz and blues and heaps of other stuff.

But that doesn't mean that I should pretend to act like a crabcore (seriously, what the smurfing smurf?) band is any different from all those other pointless metal genres. If they want to be so different and unique why don't they put a little bit more effort into their music, as opposed to trying to define themselves with a name. Also, screaming for a whole song does not hold the same musical merit as actually using your vocal chords to sing.
While we're at it, let's get rid of guitar distortion. All those parents in the 40s and 50s were right, rock and roll isn't music. :roll2

Shiny
11-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Anyone can yell into a mic (unless they're mute), but not everyone can make their voice sound like buttah harmonically.

Rodarian
11-12-2010, 08:28 AM
I find actors turning into singers are usually terrible!!!

NorthernChaosGod
11-12-2010, 09:39 PM
Anyone can yell into a mic (unless they're mute), but not everyone can make their voice sound like buttah harmonically.
Not if you'd like to retain use of your vocals chords afterward. :roll2

Shiny
11-14-2010, 06:12 PM
I find actors turning into singers are usually terrible!!!

Hahah, pretty much. I saw something mocking that on SNL yesterday. They had the Bacon Brothers, Bruce Willis, James Gandolfini, Keanu Reeves, and Kevin Spacey. xD

I guess the only exception is Jared Leto and Hennifer Hopez, but I'm not sure if they're even that good at singing.

Rianoa
11-14-2010, 07:37 PM

"TheSmilingDJ
2 days ago 3
OMG This guy is AMAZING! The next Michael Jackson of REAL RAP and HIP HOP! Justin Bieber is already the new king of POP! This guy will be even better than Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley combined. This guy will bring new meaning to REAL HIPHOP AND RAP! Soulja Boy YUUUAAAAA!!!!!"

Thats a real comment on the video and it has likes, I worry for humanity....... :(

Madame Adequate
11-24-2010, 08:57 PM
Oh wow Rye just reminded me of someone who is genuinely deserving of serious slurs and has no right to be called a musician by any standard on this earth. Nicki Minaj. Chriiiiiisssstttt it's like getting your teeth pulled out THROUGH YOUR SMURFING EARS.

Cuchulainn
11-24-2010, 09:31 PM
Anyone who doesn't like Lamb of God is a fucking asshole.

Brennan
11-25-2010, 02:16 PM
add Lil Wyane, Soulja Boy and T-pain and yeah.

:up:

NorthernChaosGod
11-27-2010, 07:26 AM
Anyone who doesn't like Lamb of God is a smurfing asshole.

kotora
11-28-2010, 12:29 AM

"TheSmilingDJ
2 days ago 3
OMG This guy is AMAZING! The next Michael Jackson of REAL RAP and HIP HOP! Justin Bieber is already the new king of POP! This guy will be even better than Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley combined. This guy will bring new meaning to REAL HIPHOP AND RAP! Soulja Boy YUUUAAAAA!!!!!"

Thats a real comment on the video and it has likes, I worry for humanity....... :(

I worry for humanity and its inability to recognize irony