PDA

View Full Version : Krome Studios

Rostum
11-08-2010, 11:33 PM
Hey, so this year has been possibly the worst year for the video games industry in Australia. Which really sucks for me, because while I'm seeking for work the whole country is too. Every studio is flooded with resumes.

Krome Studios was a huge studio in Australia that recently went under (after Tantalus earlier this year and Transmission Games last year). So I thought this might be interesting to some of you guys.

Krome Studios: Things Fall Apart - Xbox360 Feature at IGN (http://au.xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1132899p1.html)

What are your thoughts? Keep in mind very talented people with 10+ years worth of experience developing AAA title games have been working in these studios. So it's a real low blow to the industry.

kotora
11-09-2010, 12:49 AM
my thoughts are that going by their track record, it doesn't seem much of a loss. These are hardly 'AAA titles' they've developed.

Depression Moon
11-09-2010, 01:23 AM
There was a studio named Tantalus? I have to weep.

JKTrix
11-09-2010, 02:03 AM
It always sucks when people lose their jobs.

Rostum
11-09-2010, 04:31 AM
These are hardly 'AAA titles' they've developed.

I never said Krome were developing AAA titles, but in either case you've pretty much missed the whole point of the article.

There was a studio named Tantalus? I have to weep.

Yes, apparently they are still going on. But they have been doing some dodgy things to keep afloat, but I still know a few people doing some short-term contract work for them.

It always sucks when people lose their jobs.
It's not just about people losing their jobs, it's about the whole industry going under in Australia. Which is a pretty big thing.

Roto13
11-10-2010, 02:39 AM
Have they made anything good? Like, ever? Not seeing anything in the list of games they developed on Wikipedia. (Blade Kitten almost makes me want to dance on their grave.)

Side note: Has Australia ever really produced a single great game? :P This isn't a taunt or anything, I'm genuinely curious. I can't think of any but I didn't even know Krome was an Australian developer until I saw this thread. The collapse of the Australian game development industry isn't that big of a thing if there's barely a game development industry there to begin with.