PDA

View Full Version : Call of Duty: Black Ops

Iceglow
11-09-2010, 08:12 PM
Ok, so it seems I'm going to have to make a thread about this, possibly the biggest game launch of the year. Call of Duty: Black Ops was released today across multiple formats and is expected to be one of the fastest selling games of all time. Who has it? Who is getting it? Who is thinking about it?

Personally I wasn't sure about getting it because Treyarch are the team behind it. Treyarch games have generally been ok but they're never the best let's face it we all remember World at War compared to Modern Warfare (the engine it was built on) it looked worse, handled worse and generally wasn't as good a game certainly the online apart from zombie matches was never really as cool as the Modern Warfare matches. However I managed to get one for free today from my boss as a thankyou for the massive amount of effort I put in to my job on a consistent basis which is pretty nice of him.

kotora
11-09-2010, 08:58 PM
most overrated game of the year, like MW2 before it. I'll probably download it to check out if the singleplayer is any good but seeing how it still hasn't evolved past the gameplay from the first game I highly doubt it. Then again I also don't doubt it will be a massive success.

Madame Adequate
11-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Vaguely interested, but CoD games come along too often for me to get excited about each one. They don't make enough improvements and I don't know when it became acceptable to have a five-hour campaign.

Meat Puppet
11-09-2010, 09:30 PM
I was watching the 24 hour live stream and everyone was saying WHERE IS SEANANNERS and then I noticed myself also saying WHERE IS SEANANNERS because seananners was nowhere to be found

Pete for President
11-09-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't know when it became acceptable to have a five-hour campaign.

Agreed. However, the first Modern Warfare campaign was very memorable and I think that counts too.

I'm interested, but I'm gonna check it out somewhere first. I really don't like zombies or zombierelated games of any kind so that's something I'm sceptical about. Especially since zombie mode is being completely hyped already.

Madame Adequate
11-09-2010, 11:18 PM
Zombie mode is the biggest thing making me want this game. :(

Shoeberto
11-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Vaguely interested, but CoD games come along too often for me to get excited about each one. They don't make enough improvements and I don't know when it became acceptable to have a five-hour campaign.
I haven't played any of them to any significant degree since the first Modern Warfare, and this has been my rationale. Now I'm kinda thinking they might've added enough to make it worthwhile.

Not at $60 new, though!

Nevermore
11-10-2010, 01:48 AM
As I understand, most people got it for Zombie Mode. Upon first view, I was a little disappointed that the zombies, visually and auditory, are recycled from the previous one.
I'm not playing it though, so don't take my word for it.
My roomate however, has been on it since he got back from work. He took a whole week of vacation just for this.

Beyond such, I've no interest in this.

Bolivar
11-10-2010, 02:04 AM
I'm actually pretty excited, after a year of MW2 I feel like it was like a giant experiment in how diverse and varied you can make the equipment options in a game without the balance utterly caving in on itself. While it was terribly unbalanced once the exploits were found, they did patch it up nicely and it's still a really fun game to play. Now Black Ops is adding even more variety, challenges, an insane, mod-community-based take on Free-For All, split screen online, offline w/ bots, and apparently an even bigger zombies mode.

That being said, I'm actually getting a free copy to review (better late than never) and I honestly can't say if I would get it if I had to buy it with my own money. I feel like I'm at the point in this generation where the games I want to play the most are older ones I want to revisit and explore every nook and cranny.

Nevermore
11-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Doesn't this game have remote control homing race cars that explode when they reach their target?

Bolivar
11-10-2010, 02:42 AM
Doesn't this game have remote control homing race cars that explode when they reach their target?

I think you have to manually drive them *shrugs*

NorthernChaosGod
11-10-2010, 02:48 AM
So CoD games are the new Madden, huh?

Nevermore
11-10-2010, 03:44 AM

I think you have to manually drive them *shrugs*

I wouldn't expect any less from anything that has Fidel Castro in it.

DMKA
11-10-2010, 03:52 AM
From what I hear it's just Modern Warfare 2 with more graphic violence.

It's no wonder people are raving about it.

Bolivar
11-10-2010, 04:24 AM
So CoD games are the new Madden, huh?

pretty much, even down to the odd-numbered years being generally better.

Or is the other way around in Madden?

Rocket Edge
11-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Really looking forward to it. Interested to see what the Zombies mode is like.

Bolivar
11-10-2010, 10:16 PM
Been playing the multiplayer for a little bit and it's kind of insane. They definitely ditched whatever the curse was that made Modern Warfare 2 such a campfest and it's just plain fun. The levels have a lot of personality, everything's just genuinely a lot more interesting.

Most importantly, with the introduction of spendable CoD points to unlock everything (which you still have to unlock its availability by leveling up), I would say this is a pretty big turn for the series. Contracts add in a lot more spice, and voting for maps is a pleasant addition. I could go on and on about the little things that really made a difference, but if you liked CoD and have grown sick of it, you might want to check this game out.

Rase
11-10-2010, 10:17 PM
I'll play my friends copy eventually, after it makes the rounds. I haven't really enjoyed a CoD since the original MW though, so my expectations are decently low.

Iceglow
11-15-2010, 12:57 AM
I'm going to admit the one thing I give treyarch on this is that when you use something powerful like a shotgun or a grenade against someone they do get a lot of damage common sights include soldiers wounded in grenade blasts with severed limbs ect which is far better than the crumpled and tossed but very much intact bodies of MW2.

Crop
11-15-2010, 01:07 AM
I didn't like MW 1 or 2 but I liked WaW, which one is it most like?

Iceglow
11-15-2010, 01:19 AM
It's a Treyarch game so it feels like World at War in terms of how it runs. However the game in terms of technology levels ect because of the era it's set in (a lot takes place in the vietnam era of the cold war though theres a flash back mission to a just post ww2 artic circle mission between russians and nazi's) ties it quite closely to the modern warfare games, a lot of the guns and technology is present especially since you're using special ops stuff. Some of the "cooler" stuff from Vietnam made it in too, China lakes, dragons breath rounds, napalm, reapers ect. It's done pretty well and in my humble opnion is the best of the Treyarch entries to the Call of Duty series. It's not as good in my opinion as MW1 or 2 but thats just my opinion.

Raven Riley
11-15-2010, 04:43 PM
I played my bro's copy of this, the zombie mode is fun! :zombie:

Iceglow
11-16-2010, 01:35 AM
I played my bro's copy of this, the zombie mode is fun! :zombie:

It's a pity the zombie mode is a straight port pretty much from the World at War zombie mode. There's very little difference between the two. The only real difference being your character tends to speak with a russian accent and comes out with the worst lines in history seriously I think one of the lines I heard was "I want to kill them with my breath"

kotora
11-16-2010, 01:53 AM
played the singleplayer for a bit, the setting is kinda interesting. Too bad it's still a rehash of the previous games gameplay-wise. They didn't even bother updating the graphics which are still on the level of the first Modern Warfare and look kinda :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty when played at a high resolution.

Bolivar
11-16-2010, 01:31 PM
played the singleplayer for a bit, the setting is kinda interesting. Too bad it's still a rehash of the previous games gameplay-wise. They didn't even bother updating the graphics which are still on the level of the first Modern Warfare and look kinda :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty when played at a high resolution.

The graphics definitely are a step-down, and the game isn't even locked at 60 frames per second. They use some effect to make you feel like it is when you turn the camera, looking at the foreground, but if you look at the background it's clearly not as smooth as previous Call of Duty games.

However, I think this game is a great example of how art style can trump graphical fidelity. The maps are a lot more interesting, the game is just a lot cooler in some regards.

Iceglow
11-17-2010, 12:36 AM
played the singleplayer for a bit, the setting is kinda interesting.

Agreed on that the cold war setting is interesting after all there have always been rumours that both sides in the cold war performed numerous black ops to sabotage the other. Story wise I will say it's probably the most interesting game so far in the series (the rest of this sentence is spoilered because it could ruin someone's fun) because the perspective that your character is actually recounting his memories of various events during some kind of interrogation is very different from how the storyline of say MW or MW2 works where the characters are experiencing the events as they unfold

Too bad it's still a rehash of the previous games gameplay-wise.

Same could be said of all FPS games though or all games in a given genre especially with games in the same series, gameplay wise God of War 3 is just a rehash of God of War 2 and 1, Gears of War 2 is a rehash of Gears of War 1 and 3 will undoubtedbly be a rehash of Gears of War 2 and 1 together, you could stretch this to incorporate even the pokemon or command and conquer game series. You can't really point out a game in the same series as another is merely a rehash of previous games in the series as a bad thing. Call of Duty is an FPS series set in a realistic world (not a spoiler but lengthy don't want some idiots going tl;dr... namely our world's history or working on stories what could take place in a modern world though I'll note whilst MW2 does put America and Russia at war with each other and early in the game you seem to be fighting a war out in Afghanistan or some other middle eastern country Modern Warfare 1 essentially is a counter terrorist organisation and mission as is much of MW2) If we account for this then we must acknowledge there is only so much in a realistic world soldiers are capable of, they are after all only human. Your argument about the rehashing of previous games therefore is really rather moot and pointless, especially if you like sequels what deliver much of the same. Which I would argue you definitely do, after all look at the very site you're posting on it's dedicated over all to a particular game series and they rehash their own content over and over just in a way you don't always recognize.

They didn't even bother updating the graphics which are still on the level of the first Modern Warfare and look kinda :bou::bou::bou::bou:ty when played at a high resolution.

I'm going to give you this one, the game doesn't look as good as MW2 but it is built upon the MW2 engine. I put this down to it being a Treyarch game, they've never looked as good as their Infinity Ward counterparts. World at War for example was built using the MW engine but looked more in line with Call of Duty 3 graphically than Modern Warfare, theres some nice touches to it as I pointed out in previous posts but yeah it's not graphically up to scratch even against the previous entry to the Call of Duty series it's also more stylized in terms of colour pallete and design too.