PDA

View Full Version : Raistlin FUUUUUUUUU

Peegee
11-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Apparently "asians" are anyone who knows anything about math.

Speaking of which, we haven't had a "does 0.999... = 1?" thread in a while.

If you subtract 0.999.... from 1 you get an infinitesimal value { x | x > 0 && x < { http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/6/9/a/69a45f1e602cd2b2c2e67e41811fd226.png } }

I'm not going to waste your time with limits and other crap. 0.999.. = 1 is an equation. I am disproving the equation by defining 0.999.. differently.

QED

Raistlin
11-10-2010, 06:27 PM
If you define 0.999... differently then it's no longer 0.999.... If it's not a decimal followed by an infinite series of nines, then of course it doesn't equal one. You could redefine any number to equal whatever the hell you want it to. But with that definition, if you subtract it from 1, the answer is 0, and therefore they are equal.

Peegee
11-10-2010, 06:44 PM
If you define 0.999... differently then it's no longer 0.999.... If it's not a decimal followed by an infinite series of nines, then of course it doesn't equal one. You could redefine any number to equal whatever the hell you want it to. But with that definition, if you subtract it from 1, the answer is 0, and therefore they are equal.

nop I'm not defining 0.99... differently I'm saying 1 - 0.99... is infinitesimal QED asians!

Raistlin
11-10-2010, 07:10 PM
If by "infinitesimal" you mean "zero," then you are correct. Otherwise you are clearly and objectively wrong, and you know that because you're just an azn troll. Quod erat demonstrandum.

qwertysaur
11-10-2010, 07:36 PM
.9 repeated is not one. However, they both act as the same number unless pushed to extreme circumstances. For example .9 repeated raised to an infinite power would be 0, while 1 to the infinite power is an indeterminate form, and while it may be zero as well it must be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Here is my reasoning that .9 repeated to the infinite power converges to zero.
Given that k >= 0
If that n is a real number -1 < n < 1 and n =/= 0
Then n<sup>k</sup> > n<sup>k+1</sup>
The first 5 iterations of this with n =.5 are as follows.
.5, .25, .125, .0625, .03125 .....

A love math :quina:

Peegee
11-10-2010, 07:39 PM
If by "infinitesimal" you mean "zero," then you are correct. Otherwise you are clearly and objectively wrong, and you know that because you're just an azn troll. Quod erat demonstrandum.

I'm not a troll.

And no I already defined infinitesimal as a real number that is less than all real numbers and greater than 0.

Raistlin
11-10-2010, 07:45 PM
A real number minus a real number cannot be a non-real number, at least in our current number system. You can invent another one if you want.

Here is my reasoning that .9 repeated to the infinite power converges to zero.
Given that k >= 0
If that n is a real number -1 < n < 1 and n =/= 0

This is where your assumption breaks down, because 0.999... is not less than 1. It is exactly 1, and you have not demonstrated otherwise. This has been firmly established (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/0.999...) for a long time. Raising it to an infinite power is no different than raising 1 to an infinite power.

Skyblade
11-10-2010, 08:04 PM
The real question is, that if the two numbers are identical, and work indentically in every circumstance:

Why do people continue to use .999... when 1 is so much easier to type, and why does this discussion continue to pop up?

If those two symbols are proven to mean the same thing, then just use the simpler one. That's why we use Leibniz's notation instead of Newton's. The only reason you have to use .999... over 1 is because you are wanting to cause pointless discussion and commentary of the subject.

Raistlin
11-10-2010, 08:14 PM
Why do people continue to use .999... when 1 is so much easier to type, and why does this discussion continue to pop up?

This is a remarkably pointless question. What do you mean "continue to use"? I'm pretty sure no one writes out "0.999..." instead of "1" when working on a basic problem. Of course, it can be the first answer reached in certain other problems. Why do people ever use 2/2 or 5/5 for 1? Or 0.3-bar instead of 1/3? Just because an answer can be "simplified" to a different symbol which means the same thing doesn't mean the original number is invalid. If you are using calculus working on an infinite series, or working with rational infinitely-repeating decimals, 0.999... may well be an answer you get to first before "reducing" it to 1 -- although the decimal or fraction form may be easier to work with in some of those calculations.

And this discussion continually becomes up because some people are too irrational to accept something that goes against their initial knee-jerk reaction. And this can be entertaining for the rest of us.

qwertysaur
11-10-2010, 08:15 PM
.9 repeated is used in number theory.

Also Raistlin have you ever attempted to solve the birthday problem?

What is the smallest group of people required so that it is more likely than not that one person has the same birthday as another?

Bunny
11-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Dear Everyone Who Has Posted In This Thread; Past, Present, Future:

Fuck you. Sincerely, a giant fuck you. I hope something terrible happens to you. However, I'm going to extend that desire to your entire family and circle of friendship as well. I hope a meteor made entire of :bou::bou::bou::bou:, dropped from a 747, bursts into your home while you are sleeping, dreaming of puppies and kittens, or some other cute :bou::bou::bou::bou:, and completely destroys everything you love and value. I hope, beyond hope itself, that a centaur magically appears out of some fucking fairy tale, and violates you with it's giant human-horse dong. There is also a small desire that you lose a leg or two, in addition to your left arm and most of the fingers on your right hand, in an accident possibly involving a beaver. I sincerely wish this upon all of you dickbags for what travesties you have committed by being involved in this, or any form of this thread.

Triple Sincerely Yours (with love in my heart and a hate-fueled rifle in my hand),
Bunny von Trapp

P.S. Math sucks.

Raistlin
11-10-2010, 08:54 PM
And here are the entertaining reactions I was speaking of. http://www.thegamersalliance.net/forums/images/smilies/pimp.gif

Also Raistlin have you ever attempted to solve the birthday problem?

What is the smallest group of people required so that it is more likely than not that one person has the same birthday as another?

Yes, I've heard of this probability problem, but it doesn't really have anything to do with this issue. Are you just posing it as another interesting math problem? I prefer the Monty Hall problem if I wanted to blow people's minds.

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?

You always switch doors.

Madame Adequate
11-10-2010, 09:02 PM
violates you with it's giant human-horse dong

I hope this happens to me too :love:

Also hahahahaha the Monty Hall problem is going to make people rage, Wes.

Peegee
11-10-2010, 09:12 PM
To add to the 0.99.. thread here:

Please to tell me the value difference of the following numbers:

What do you mean they mean the same? BUT THEY ARE DIFFERENT NUMBERS LOSAFLSDJO ASL

I wasn't being facetious in the other thread but I am here.

Raistlin
11-10-2010, 09:12 PM
I know, that's why I love it so much. Wikipedia says the magazine that first published it got thousands of letters saying how wrong it is. I hated statistics class for some of its largely arbitrary equations, but I love some of the counter-intuitiveness of probabilities.

EDIT: in response to MILF.

Peegee
11-10-2010, 09:14 PM
violates you with it's giant human-horse dong

I hope this happens to me too :love:

Also hahahahaha the Monty Hall problem is going to make people rage, Wes.

1/2 > 1/3

ergo you switch doors.

Raistlin
11-10-2010, 09:42 PM
It's actually 2/3 > 1/3 (the probabilities have to add up to 1, remember), but yeah, you're right in the result. It's a little bit more intuitive if you think that the odds of the car being behind door number 2 equal the odds that you were wrong in your first choice (2/3).

Peegee
11-10-2010, 09:50 PM
It's actually 2/3 > 1/3 (the probabilities have to add up to 1, remember), but yeah, you're right in the result. It's a little bit more intuitive if you think that the odds of the car being behind door number 2 equal the odds that you were wrong in your first choice (2/3).

damnit now I have to relearn math. This thread is not asian friendly :aimmad:

Pheesh
11-10-2010, 09:53 PM
What if you change but it's behind door number 1 and then everybody laughs at you?

Peegee
11-10-2010, 09:54 PM
What if you change but it's behind door number 1 and then everybody laughs at you?

lol asians and their math still failed to get the prize.

escobert
11-10-2010, 10:43 PM
why don't you just make a thread called "LoL aznz luvz teh mathz" and just put all your nonsensical math crap in there? :D

Peegee
11-10-2010, 11:05 PM
why don't you just make a thread called "LoL aznz luvz teh mathz" and just put all your nonsensical math crap in there? :D

Friends and I are joking about going to VT to go skiing :D

Madonna
11-10-2010, 11:13 PM
0.999... is clearly an infinite .000...with a 1 tacked on the end away from 1 itself.

Shorty
11-10-2010, 11:26 PM

smurf you. Sincerely, a giant smurf you. I hope something terrible happens to you. However, I'm going to extend that desire to your entire family and circle of friendship as well. I hope a meteor made entire of :bou::bou::bou::bou:, dropped from a 747, bursts into your home while you are sleeping, dreaming of puppies and kittens, or some other cute :bou::bou::bou::bou:, and completely destroys everything you love and value. I hope, beyond hope itself, that a centaur magically appears out of some smurfing fairy tale, and violates you with it's giant human-horse dong. There is also a small desire that you lose a leg or two, in addition to your left arm and most of the fingers on your right hand, in an accident possibly involving a beaver. I sincerely wish this upon all of you dickbags for what travesties you have committed by being involved in this, or any form of this thread.

Triple Sincerely Yours (with love in my heart and a hate-fueled rifle in my hand),
Bunny von Trapp

P.S. Math sucks.

*applause*

You're all nerds.

Peegee
11-10-2010, 11:39 PM

smurf you. Sincerely, a giant smurf you. I hope something terrible happens to you. However, I'm going to extend that desire to your entire family and circle of friendship as well. I hope a meteor made entire of :bou::bou::bou::bou:, dropped from a 747, bursts into your home while you are sleeping, dreaming of puppies and kittens, or some other cute :bou::bou::bou::bou:, and completely destroys everything you love and value. I hope, beyond hope itself, that a centaur magically appears out of some smurfing fairy tale, and violates you with it's giant human-horse dong. There is also a small desire that you lose a leg or two, in addition to your left arm and most of the fingers on your right hand, in an accident possibly involving a beaver. I sincerely wish this upon all of you dickbags for what travesties you have committed by being involved in this, or any form of this thread.

Bunny von Trapp

P.S. Math sucks.

*applause*

You're all nerds.

I'm too stupid to be one :(

Shorty
11-10-2010, 11:40 PM
It's okay. You're azn, so you make up for it.

Madame Adequate
11-11-2010, 12:22 AM

Bunny von Trapp

P.S. Math sucks.

*applause*

You're all nerds.

Hahahahaha I love how you talk as though you can judge. You unwashed hippy.

Shorty
11-11-2010, 12:35 AM
Hippies are superior to the rest of you. We don't need math in our daily lives.

Psychotic
11-11-2010, 12:41 AM
Hippies are superior to the rest of you. wasn't going to post in this thread after Bunny's perfect post but I'm sorry, this kind of bollocks is not going to be posted on my Eyes on Final Fantasy.

Shorty
11-11-2010, 12:47 AM
You're just going to have to come to terms with reality.

Bunny
11-11-2010, 12:51 AM
In which "reality" is a fantasy version of the real world that exists in Shorty's mind.

NorthernChaosGod
11-11-2010, 02:00 AM

Then you got smurfed by probability and you just take it like a good boy.

I don't understand the issue with these two problems, unless you suck at math. :p

rubah
11-11-2010, 04:08 AM

What do you mean they mean the same? BUT THEY ARE DIFFERENT NUMBERS LOSAFLSDJO ASL

Different levels of precision. Each additional zero, inherently a significant figure, indicates a greater certainty about the value.

Peegee
11-11-2010, 04:10 AM

Different levels of precision. Each additional zero, inherently a significant figure, indicates a greater certainty about the value.

Incorrect - 1 == 1.0000000000....

Raistlin
11-11-2010, 04:17 AM
Trailing zeros are significant figures in that they signify a higher level of precision. But that additional precision does not change the value. Also, that precision is not relevant in doing hypothetical calculations, because when you say "1" it clearly implies "1.000...." They would be much more relevant in practice when doing calculations based on measurements.

Really, PG, if you're going to be azn you should be able to counter some trolling attempt from someone who's not only non-azn, but also has female parts. You shame your ethnicity.

rubah
11-11-2010, 04:22 AM
very good, westlin! You pulled out the measurements word!

Peegee
11-11-2010, 04:48 AM
very good, westlin! You pulled out the measurements word!

make me a sammich you baby making woman

>But that additional precision does not change the value

THAT

>measurement

THAT IS ALSO TRUE

I am not contending that 5.58333583 * 2 = 11. You specified that many decimal places, your answer has that many decimal places.

I'm condending that 1 = 1.00000000 = 1.0000000... and you cannot disagree that the value of the numbers are the same.

derp a herp.

NeoCracker
11-11-2010, 05:07 AM

Or soap.

escobert
11-11-2010, 05:22 AM
stfu hippies = god ;)

Clo
11-11-2010, 05:49 AM
I was worried this thread was about Wesley sex. Thank god.

Madonna
11-11-2010, 11:31 AM
I am really concerned when people bring up Welsey's sex life in a discussion about math. My only conclusion can be this: someone is trying to distract us from the math, the math where he is wrong and where .999... and 1 are two disparate numbers.

.999.. is infinitely not 1, but instead infinitely close but never 1. It needs a .000...1 to make it 1, but can never get it. Thus, 1 =/= .999...

Rantz
11-11-2010, 11:35 AM
.999... = nonsense^2

Yeah well solve this!!!

G13
11-11-2010, 01:26 PM
Speaking of which, we haven't had a "does 0.999... = 1?" thread in a while.

Why in smurf's name did you bring this up? I blame you for all the world's problems.

Loony BoB
11-11-2010, 01:33 PM
I prefer the Monty Hall problem if I wanted to blow people's minds.

Suppose you're on a game show, and you're given the choice of three doors: Behind one door is a car; behind the others, goats. You pick a door, say No. 1, and the host, who knows what's behind the doors, opens another door, say No. 3, which has a goat. He then says to you, "Do you want to pick door No. 2?" Is it to your advantage to switch your choice?
Surely the answer is "No, it is not to your advantage"? The chances of the car being behind door one or door two are the same. If you stay with door one, you have a one in two chance of it being a car. If you go to door two, you still have a one in two chance of it being a car. Equal chance? No advantage.

I'm only asking because it seemed really easy to figure out. Waiting for some kind of trick question surprise to show I'm wrong somehow. =|

EDIT: Just read up on it on Wikipedia, very interesting! Never thought about it that way. :)

qwertysaur
11-11-2010, 01:54 PM
I prefer the Monty Hall problem if I wanted to blow people's minds.

Surely the answer is "No, it is not to your advantage"? The chances of the car being behind door one or door two are the same. If you stay with door one, you have a one in two chance of it being a car. If you go to door two, you still have a one in two chance of it being a car. Equal chance? No advantage.

I'm only asking because it seemed really easy to figure out. Waiting for some kind of trick question surprise to show I'm wrong somehow. =|

EDIT: Just read up on it on Wikipedia, very interesting! Never thought about it that way. :)
Probability questions are often much more than what they seem. Also it is more advantageous to switch because before a door is opened, each door has a 1/3 probability to have the car, making it a 2/3 chance it does not have the car because it is behind door 2 or 3. Opening an incorrect door does not change the fact that there is a 2/3 chance the car is not behind 2 or 3. You know that there is no car behind 3, so there is a 2/3 chance it is behind door 2.

Raistlin
11-11-2010, 03:11 PM

You're... not going to argue about it for 3 pages like in the first 0.999... = 1 thread? I am so proud of you. *tear*

I am really concerned when people bring up Welsey's sex life in a discussion about math. My only conclusion can be this: someone is trying to distract us from the math...

It is no surprise that people are more interested in me naked than in math. Just look at the mileage pictures of me have gotten around here.

Alive-Cat
11-11-2010, 05:44 PM
naked > math

NorthernChaosGod
11-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Naked + math = awesome

Peegee
11-11-2010, 08:03 PM
cat cat cat cat cat cat cat cat
mushroom mushroom

KentaRawr!
11-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Why would I ever need to know that .999... = 1? What will that help me with? How often do you get .999... in an equation instead of 1 anyway? Is it just to let me know that I can round up to 1 if I ever see .999...?

Should this be taught in schools? D:

Edit: Or maybe it's just for fun. :3

Peegee
11-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Why would I ever need to know that .999... = 1? What will that help me with? How often do you get .999... in an equation instead of 1 anyway? Is it just to let me know that I can round up to 1 if I ever see .999...?

Should this be taught in schools? D:

Edit: Or maybe it's just for fun. :3

1/3 = 0.3333...
0.333...*3 = 0.999...
1/3 * 3 = 1
0.999.. = 1
QED

Shiny
11-16-2010, 04:25 AM

Apparently you guys don't need deodorant either, but we both know that's not true.

DarkBahamut
11-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Naked + math = awesome
Depends what type of math ;O

qwertysaur
11-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Naked + math = awesome
Depends what type of math ;O
Differential calculus. :quina:

Peegee
11-21-2010, 01:47 AM
Anything more precise than a planck unit is meaningless.

Jojee
11-21-2010, 06:39 PM
I agree with the title of this thread. Wesly, where the hell are you, get online and entertain me :\ I'm procrastinating so hard I'm posting here~

Raistlin
11-21-2010, 06:43 PM
You certainly don't need my help to procrastinate, twerp.

Denmark
11-22-2010, 11:47 AM
pi = 22/7

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-22-2010, 12:29 PM
In high school, I struggled my way through Algebra and Geometry.

Derp.

Iceglow
11-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Proposition to rename wonder square to "nerds paradise" and to lock Qwerty, PG, Raistlin and any others who seriously tried to answer the maths problem in there permanently where no other members dare to go and they can never get out of.

Peegee
11-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Proposition to rename wonder square to "nerds paradise" and to lock Qwerty, PG, Raistlin and any others who seriously tried to answer the maths problem in there permanently where no other members dare to go and they can never get out of.

and put Steve in there for being a snitch.

NorthernChaosGod
11-24-2010, 05:40 PM

and put Steve in there for being a snitch.

Seconded.