PDA

View Full Version : Do You Go For All the Trophies/Achievements in Games?

DMKA
11-12-2010, 04:16 AM
Honestly, I try to...I really do, but I've yet to achieve 100% in my trophy/achievement list on any game ever. It seems like some task are so painstakingly difficult to me and I've already finished the game by that point that I just lose interest and move on to a new game. I'm pretty determined to get 100% on InFamous though, and it's the closest I've came so far.

So have you ever gotten every trophy/achievement? In what game(s)? Do you find it pointless to do so? Do you find it fun to try?

Discuss.

Roto13
11-12-2010, 04:48 AM
Sometimes. I go for trophies I think I'll actually enjoy getting, and if all of them are like that, then sure. I don't obsess over it, though. Like I certainly wasn't going to collect all of those blast shards in InFamous.

I've gotten the platinum trophies in Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, Prince of Persia '08, Bayonetta, The Saboteur, and Assassin's Creed II. According to my trophy list, I've also gotten 100% in Blue Toad Murder Files, Gunstar Heroes, Critter Crunch (back before the easy patch :P), PixelJunk Shooter, Linger in Shadows, Echochrome, and Noby Noby Boy.

Apparently I also have 0% of the trophies in six games. :P I wish I could remove those.

ljkkjlcm9
11-12-2010, 04:52 AM
It really depends on what the achievements entail. I believe I only have the Platinum on God of War 2 and 3 (which can be earned only going through each game once) and Assassin's Creed 2, which I got after getting the DLC at which point I finally collected all those feathers.

Essentially, if I find an achievement ridiculous or too time consuming and I could play a different game, I move on. Demon's Souls is a prime example, where you have to beat the game 4 times to get a couple of the trophies, and it's already a painstaking game the first go through. Love the game, completely not worth trying to get the Platinum.

Oddly enough on the other hand, when I played some 360 games on my roommates 360, I had 5500 points and only played 6 games (no DLC). I got as close to maxing all those games, except for say, Modern Warfare and the stupid Plane mission at the end, or Lost Odyssey and opening every chest.... 980/1000 for both.

THE JACKEL

escobert
11-12-2010, 05:14 AM
no I dont.

Yeargdribble
11-12-2010, 06:07 AM
I'm a completionist whore and I really like the idea of going for every achievement in games. Sometimes they are well crafted and make you try different things and experience new styles of gameplay. Of course, sometimes they are decidedly terrible.

Realistically, I just don't really have the time, but when I'm not working on my extensive backlog of games, I'll sometimes work on trophies.

I have two games at 100%... Flower (most people won't count that one) and GoW I from the collection. I have a few others at 80-90%. I think Demon's Souls was one of those. I could realistically see myself getting all of the GTA IV trophies if there weren't any for multiplayer just because the game is fun to play.

I was really seriously gonna do Dead Space... but **** the ADS cannon... I have a save sitting right there and had just given up after hours of trying.

Seraphic
11-12-2010, 06:20 AM
If I'm going to try and do them, I'll usually look at the entire list and see if it's doable by my standards, and if it is then I charge ahead.
Unfortunately the only one I've reached 100% in is Blazblue: Calamity Trigger with about 3 or 4 other games that are in the 80-90% range.
It's always that ONE trophy that keeps me from finishing >[
Like Bayonetta, I have it at 94% or something, and the one I'm missing is finding all the witches resting places. So in order for me to find them all, I'd have to go and do all the ones I've already done all over again just to make sure they're done.
Too much to fuss with.

Levian
11-12-2010, 06:24 AM
Yes, I do. I love the extra challenge. I'm not going to get the most ridiculous trophies of course. For instance, in Megaman 10 there's a silver trophy where you have to beat the entire game without being hit a single time. It would take an asian to come up with a silly trophy like that.

The only Platinum trophy I have is for the Saw game, which is a fairly annoying game. It's probably one of the easiest platinums out there, though. I got around 80% by just playing through the game normally, so I decided I'd try for the last 20%, which proved to be very easy as well.

The Lego games are very completionistic games, so trophies are especially great there. I'm currently working on Lego Harry Potter, but a recent patch for fixing a glitch seems to have fucked up my savegame.

Dreddz
11-12-2010, 10:32 AM
Trophies are rarely fun to get so I never bother. Nearly all of my games lie in the 40% range which is just from playing the game normally. I do have 1 platinum which is for Wipeout HD which I decided to get just out of boredom. It is kind of cool having it though as many regard it as one of the hardest platinum's to get.

G13
11-12-2010, 11:51 AM
I love getting Achievements. It adds to the replay value of the game for me. Some Achievements are incredibly retarded though and I will never attempt getting those but some of them are incredibly fun to get, like the If They Came To Hear Me Beg Achievement from Reach. It took a while to get but it made me squeal when I finally got it.

Mirage
11-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Rarely. If I have gotten almost every throphy in a game just from playing it normally, i might go out of my way to get the last ones just for the same of completion. If not, nah.

DMKA
11-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Like I certainly wasn't going to collect all of those blast shards in InFamous.
I got all but one and when I realized aside of the little HUD there's no freaking way to tell where it could possibly be in the whole freaking city, I gave up.

It would take an asian to come up with a silly trophy like that.
x] :heart:

Shattered Dreamer
11-12-2010, 03:07 PM
I've never been one to try to get all the achievements in a game. The closest I've come by just playing through the game was Arkham Asylum which sits at 71%. Lately though I've been considering trying for 100% completion on a few of my games, whether I bother now is another matter :P

Bunny
11-12-2010, 08:54 PM
When I play through a game, I am typically more interested in the storyline, characters, and gameplay than increasing an arbitrary score. If I play through the game more than once, I will usually go out of my way to get achievements or trophies.

Psychotic
11-13-2010, 12:38 AM
the If They Came To Hear Me Beg Achievement from Reach. It took a while to get but it made me squeal when I finally got it.From my FileShare:

"Sprunch - I Came While Hearing Him Beg" :D

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/photobucketamazingness/sprunch.jpg

For those who don't know and can't tell from my awesome screenshot, you get it by hurling yourself off a cliff, then using a lovely alien fella's skull to cushion your fall. It is not easy!

Anywho, yeah, I'll do them if they look fun or interesting. :bou::bou::bou::bou: like "Kill 10,000 in multiplayer using your big toe!" or "Find all 500 of the pointless hidden collection items" can smurf right off though.

JKTrix
11-13-2010, 01:33 AM
The only 'full' achievement I think I have is for the 360 Launch game for the King Kong movie. If I had more points in every game I had my gamerscore would probably quadruple.

Pete for President
11-13-2010, 09:55 AM
I got real close to the platinum on HAWX 1, but never made it past 97%. Lately I just don't have the time to bother with trophies, as I'm struggling to find the time to even finish a game. :choc:

Oh, and some trophies on 'create and play' games LittleBigPlanet and ModNation Racers are just ridiculous, like getting 10.000 people to download your creation for example. Only a handfull achieve that.

DMKA
11-13-2010, 01:23 PM
Oh, and some trophies on 'create and play' games LittleBigPlanet and ModNation Racers are just ridiculous, like getting 10.000 people to download your creation for example.

That's bullmalarky. You don't even have control over that.

Iceglow
11-13-2010, 05:38 PM
The main achievements I get are the ones what I find fun, however I happen to enjoy stupid challenges like completing veteran difficulty in CoD games or Legendary in Halo (I only need to bother getting the Mile High Club achievement in CoD MW for the complete set I just really can't be bothered to sit down and fry my brain for the hour or two it will take to complete the 90 second mission for 20g and a completed game award) Most of the time I find the not so fun achievements come along by doing the fun ones in anycase. I don't enjoy multiplayer achievements like the ones Paul mentions, they plain suck.

G13
11-13-2010, 06:19 PM
the If They Came To Hear Me Beg Achievement from Reach. It took a while to get but it made me squeal when I finally got it.From my FileShare:

Fucking hell that's beautiful. :love:

Anywho, yeah, I'll do them if they look fun or interesting. :bou::bou::bou::bou: like "Kill 10,000 in multiplayer using your big toe!" or "Find all 500 of the pointless hidden collection items" can smurf right off though.

I'd say the same but I've been known to do collection achievements because I am that big of an Achievement whore.

VeloZer0
11-14-2010, 03:20 AM
I've never collected achievements unless I think they are intrinsically fun to get in and of themselves. Stuff like get under 1:00 for the first level of Sonic 4 or killing any enemy by jumping on it in Borderlands is all good fun.

Flying Arrow
11-14-2010, 04:54 AM
I usually just grab some of the ones that come through a normal play-through. But I also tend to gander at the trophy list so there are times when I'll try to nab certain obscure ones when the opportunity arises just to spice things up. For instance, I kept failing and re-trying a certain boss fight in Batman: AA so I could get the silver trophy for winning with a prohibitive tactic (take down a Titan without a batarang). It's one of those ones that seems like it was thrown in to pad out the trophy list, but it actually ended up making me a better player by forcing me to use tactics I wouldn't normally use. My repertoire was deadly from then on out.

As for completing a trophy list, I don't have a single PSN Platinum yet, although I'm pretty close on a few (Batman: AA and Bayonetta) and getting up there with a couple others too (Fallout 3, SSF4). I also have 100% on a few downloadable titles like Flower, echochrome, and PJ Shooter, but none of those offer Platinums.

Raven Riley
11-14-2010, 04:58 AM
Only if it's a favourite game of mine. Getting more trophies is fun not a chore then. :)

asukaevaunit02
11-14-2010, 07:46 AM
Nope, never been interested in them or saw the point of them.
Some are just silly, ie. kill x enimies with x weapon in Uncharted 2. Some games just have too many, like Burnout Paradise.

My highest is 61% on God of War 3 after playing through twice, on normal and hard modes.

Meat Puppet
11-14-2010, 09:33 AM
If I enjoy the game, or if I'm really bored. Like Levian, I enjoy the extra challenge. I'm not sure how many games I've got 100% in, because my account is bugged out and thinks I'm missing 1 achievement in every retail game, but it looks like I got at least 12 arcade games.
Big titles include GTA IV (which was the most work), Halo Reach, ODST (I got close with both 3 and Halo Wars, but I got bored on the home stretch) L4D2, BioShock (I did clock BioShock 2, but then they brought out DLC and I just could not be bothered), uhh... what else. I'm close with a couple. I've beat RDR a few times, and now I'm shaving off the last few multiplayer DLC achievements. Also... L4D1 has this whorish problem with the Sacrifizzled achievement where NOBODY can get it unless they hack their achievements, so I am missing that one.

Mo-Nercy
11-14-2010, 05:45 PM
I never go for trophies or achievements unless they come out of something in-game. I went and collected all the costumes for RDR, for example, but really only because I wanted to see what all the alternate costumes looked like.

NorthernChaosGod
11-14-2010, 09:23 PM

For those who don't know and can't tell from my awesome screenshot, you get it by hurling yourself off a cliff, then using a lovely alien fella's skull to cushion your fall. It is not easy!

I still don't have that one and I just tried it on Pillar of Autumn like 15 times. :(

Crop
11-14-2010, 10:42 PM
I love getting plats. Me and an online friend of mine have had about a 2 year long trophy contest going too.

I currently have 7 platinum trophies on:
InFamous
Dead Space
Fallout 3
Sega Megadrive: Ultimate Collection
Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
CoD: WaW
Godfather 2

I am 1 trophy away from getting a plat on GoW3...I just CAN'T beat that giant scorpion on Spartan mode, I know if I did that I'd be able to finish the rest of the game. No doubt I'll get the platinum for Fallout: New Vegas soon too. I also almost had Assassins Creed 2 platinum but I had to give the game back and can't be bothered to get it again.
I'm also 1 trophy away from getting plat on Tomb Raider: Underworld, but I lost my save and I'm never going to look for ALL of the treasures again....I was only about 3 away from winning too.

Iceglow
11-15-2010, 02:00 AM

I still don't have that one and I just tried it on Pillar of Autumn like 15 times. :(

I don't have it either, tempted since it's right at start of level to try and get it on my solo legendary run when I finish it off. Yes I do intend to look even more badass than Paul.

NorthernChaosGod
11-15-2010, 02:12 AM
Man, I just want to get the achievement. Why do you have to try and one-up Paul?

Roto13
11-15-2010, 02:57 PM
Apparently there's a trophy in Uno where you have to reach the top of the leaderboards or something like that. That's just dumb.

Jessweeee♪
11-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Uuugghh it depends. In games like Assassin's Creed where it's like, "collect 5000 flags" and there is no reward other than that little "woohoo achievement" thing popping up, then no. But in Assassin's Creed II where it's like "collect 5000 feathers" and I get a super cool cape then sure! I have yet to do that though. Also games like Mirror's Edge where the achievements are really fun to attempt. "Be super cool! Do a wallrun, turn and knock out that guy with a kick to the face!"

Roto13
11-15-2010, 06:44 PM
The feathers weren't so bad because it told you how many feathers there were in each city (and how many you had collected) and there were only 100 of them. I thought the hug you got from Ezio's mom was a better reward than the cape. Especially since the cape makes you instantly notorious. xP

Those Mirror's Edge stunt trophies are awesome.

Bolivar
11-16-2010, 01:50 PM
I have Platinums in inFAMOUS, Godfather 2, Killzone 2, and Damnation (not my game though). Like Dreddz, I got a lot of the usual 40%'s from just playing through the game once. Usually on a second playthrough or if it's a really long game, then half way through, i'll look at the trophy list and see what's doable. Easy ones I'll definitely go for. Hard ones, if it's a game I really like and it's a decent challenge, I'll go for as well. My last trophy for the KZ2 platinum was being in the top 1% of the worldwide leaderboards at the end of a week. Tried 2-3 times and finally got it, so that's my crown jewel of trophies.

It does bother me a little bit ones that I just can't get - I'd love to Platinum Battlefield Bad Company 2, but killing 20 enemies by dropping a house on them just comes down to luck really.

I really like games that got retroactive trophies, though, like GTA IV. Definitely gives me an incentive to go through that game again and get everything.

Roogle
11-16-2010, 09:29 PM
I find that the requirements for getting all of the trophies or achievements in a game are far too time consuming for someone like me.

If I really liked a game, I would play it in a way that might allow me to get all of the trophies or achievements that the game offers, but I would not make that a specific focus. I could not care less about those types of things, personally.

Peegee
11-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Sometimes achievements are worthless. But I've only played achievement games for left 4 dead and for starcraft 2..

in l4d the achievements have to do with versus mode or single player campaign achievements. Like survive the entire game without getting damaged by special zombies. Or killing the tank without getting hurt. Or beating the game on the hardest difficulty. For versus it's silly things like tapping two different people with the same life, or killing all of them with one life. It's fun and challenging and if you can do them all legit, you become a better player.

For starcraft 2 I don't know if the achievements for single player are anything but irritating. I have them all except for the mini game, and it cost me dozens of hours of game play and about 3 keyboards (I'm shocked I didn't break any mice). And I still have to do the stupid achievements for multiplayer. Beat insane AI 1000 times?? Do it for 7 FFA opponents?? FORGET IT

Jiro
11-17-2010, 10:11 AM
I try to go for everything, but I don't have LIVE so there are so many :bou::bou::bou::bou:s I can't get. The only one I've maxed is Oblivion, but I've almost done a few others. Both AC and ACII are almost done sans collecting flags/feathers, which is a bitch but I will do at some point with a guide.

Roto13
11-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Collecting the feathers is less annoying than it seems if you use a guide. Games Radar is good for something besides stupid lists (http://www.gamesradar.com/f/assassins-creed-ii-feathers-and-treasure-chests-guide/a-20091118131317820094).

Necronopticous
11-17-2010, 06:45 PM
Viva Piņata was the only game I ever got all of the achievements on.

Loony BoB
11-22-2010, 02:17 PM
I also enjoy the challenge of it and also believe it adds to replayability for a lot of games. I have Platinum for FFXIII and Uncharted 2 at the moment (Uncharted 2 doesn't require 100% as a lot of the multiplayer things were added at a later time). I'm more likely to get trophies that are in single player games because I don't feel I have to play 5,000 multiplayer games just to get some of the trophies. I don't like the idea that "well, if we want people to play multiplayer for years, then we better make there be a trophy that will take years to get...". Bleh to that. Single player trophies seem much more achievable within a month if you really want them, so yay. They should have seperate platinums for online and offline activity.

Nifleheim7
11-28-2010, 09:07 AM
I completely ignore them.I continue to play my games normally as if i was still in the PS1 era.I replay them if i enjoy their gameplay not because someone somewhere decided when the game should be "complete".
I prefer to play a new game and have a new experience rather than continue playing an old one that i ceased to enjoy.

Shiny
11-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Nah, I don't try to get them. I just get them based on what I do during the game. The only one I actively sought out was the kill about 53,000 zombies or whatever insane number it was to get the Mega Man Blaster.