PDA

View Full Version : Character-specific cut scenes?

ChaosPearl
11-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Hi folks,

I was wondering if there is a list anywhere of all the character-specific cut scenes in the game (GBA version). I mean, the ones where you only see the scene if certain characters are in your party at a specific point in the game. I'd like to see them all and I have no idea which ones I'm missing bc I always tend to use the same characters in my party. For instance I only just now saw the scene in Figaro Castle with the coin toss. Apparently you only see that if you bring Sabin and Edgar to the castle after Terra flies off, and I usually have Celes, Locke and Cyan at that point.

The only other ones I'm aware of are the scene when you bring Locke and Celes to Kohlingen, and the one in the WoR when Gau is getting his makeover; you only see the full scene if you have Locke and Edgar in the party and Celes and Terra on the airship.

Are there others? A list somewhere? I tried Googling but wasn't really sure what terms to try... "Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy 3, character, party, cut scene(s), extra, hidden" didn't turn up anything (using various combos of those words, not all at once).

blackmage_nuke
11-13-2010, 06:18 AM
I cant think of where to find a list but theres also the scene where you take Cyan to Miranda in the WoR to talk to the woman hes been sending letters to (and replace the letter on the desk)

And Theres also shadows four dreams which occur if you rest at an inn with shadow in your party.

Theres also one where you take Sabin to a small cluster of trees that form a + sign on a small island north of narshe in the world of ruin.

Wolf Kanno
11-13-2010, 06:53 AM
I can't think of specific character scenes but there are lots of missable scenes,

When you are fleeing Figaro castle in the beginning of the game, you have until you get to the South Figaro Cave to see the scene where Locke and Edgar freak out about Terra's Magic. If memory serves me correct that is the requirement not simply using it during the battle with the Magitech armors but I could be wrong...

Taking Edgar to the small house north of South Figaro, have him look around and he'll comment on how he recognizes the flowers and dishes which leads him to make a comment about his brother Sabin.

You get two different scenes depending on whether you agree to help the returners or not but you actually get more dialogue for refusing.

You get different dialogue from Celes depending on what Locke is wearing when he meets Celes. The best imo, is the soldier uniform cause you get a Star Wars reference. ;)

Most people I know miss out on doing the letter sidequest in Mobliz, you can actually help the poor soldier send letters to his girl and get more info about what's going on in the Empire, you also get a decent item.

There are several scenes in the cave where Gau's treasure is located a player can miss if they don't explore every square inch of the cave. Most of it is funny including Gau scaring Cyan costing the party a bit of gil.

Also, there is an amusing scene with Cyan if you talk to the show girl in Nikeahe

There's the Coin Toss scene if you bring the Figaro Brothers to Figaro Castle and spend the night.

Shadows dreams which can be seen from staying in the inns on the western continent.

There's the NPC that tells Kefka's backstory in Vector but he's located in a place most people don't bother looking. He's in the bar which is the building located just before the stairs leading to the Imperial palace. Its not a scene per se but I'm surprised how many people miss talking to this NPC.

There is a scene with Setzer that some people miss. After the espers level Vector and you are sent on the quest to find them in Thamasa; if you go back to the airship, you'll find Setzer and Cid repairing the ship. Cid is being a nuisance to Setzer but Setzer ends up talking about Darly and foreshadows the Falcon.

There are several scenes in Thamasa you can miss if you don't thoroughly explore the town before talking to Strago. Most involve the citizens trying (very badly) to hide the fact they can use magic.

Oddly enough, after the events of Thamasa but before you go to the Floating Continent, if you return to Thamasa with Strago and Relm in your party, you'll notice a new NPC. It's Gung-Ho who will berate Strago for giving up on the search for the Hidon, foreshadowing the quest in WoR.

You can miss Celes' suicide attempt by saving Cid (yes you can save him and no it is not worth it).

Obviously enough, everything pertaining to Shadow is changed depending on whether you waited for him at the Floating Continent.

There is the Gau scene you mentioned, and I suggest recruiting everyone before watching it cause its awesome seeing the whole party in the shop.

Taking Terra with you into Cyan's dream world allows you to get access to her full list of Magitech spells when you are riding the armor. ;)

The scene with Cyan talking to the girl who sends letters to the wounded soldier that BMN mentioned.

Then ending is altered if you don't recruit certain characters, Mostly if you don't grab Sabin, Locke, and Strago.

That's all I can think of though I'm sure you knew most of them.

Roto13
11-13-2010, 03:13 PM
I cant think of where to find a list but theres also the scene where you take Cyan to Miranda in the WoR to talk to the woman hes been sending letters to (and replace the letter on the desk)

I didn't know about this one.

Someone should write a proper guide for these things.

Elskidor
11-13-2010, 10:45 PM
I can't think of specific character scenes but there are lots of missable scenes,

When you are fleeing Figaro castle in the beginning of the game, you have until you get to the South Figaro Cave to see the scene where Locke and Edgar freak out about Terra's Magic. If memory serves me correct that is the requirement not simply using it during the battle with the Magitech armors but I could be wrong...

Taking Edgar to the small house north of South Figaro, have him look around and he'll comment on how he recognizes the flowers and dishes which leads him to make a comment about his brother Sabin.

You get two different scenes depending on whether you agree to help the returners or not but you actually get more dialogue for refusing.

You get different dialogue from Celes depending on what Locke is wearing when he meets Celes. The best imo, is the soldier uniform cause you get a Star Wars reference. ;)

Most people I know miss out on doing the letter sidequest in Mobliz, you can actually help the poor soldier send letters to his girl and get more info about what's going on in the Empire, you also get a decent item.

There are several scenes in the cave where Gau's treasure is located a player can miss if they don't explore every square inch of the cave. Most of it is funny including Gau scaring Cyan costing the party a bit of gil.

Also, there is an amusing scene with Cyan if you talk to the show girl in Nikeahe

There's the Coin Toss scene if you bring the Figaro Brothers to Figaro Castle and spend the night.

Shadows dreams which can be seen from staying in the inns on the western continent.

There's the NPC that tells Kefka's backstory in Vector but he's located in a place most people don't bother looking. He's in the bar which is the building located just before the stairs leading to the Imperial palace. Its not a scene per se but I'm surprised how many people miss talking to this NPC.

There is a scene with Setzer that some people miss. After the espers level Vector and you are sent on the quest to find them in Thamasa; if you go back to the airship, you'll find Setzer and Cid repairing the ship. Cid is being a nuisance to Setzer but Setzer ends up talking about Darly and foreshadows the Falcon.

There are several scenes in Thamasa you can miss if you don't thoroughly explore the town before talking to Strago. Most involve the citizens trying (very badly) to hide the fact they can use magic.

Oddly enough, after the events of Thamasa but before you go to the Floating Continent, if you return to Thamasa with Strago and Relm in your party, you'll notice a new NPC. It's Gung-Ho who will berate Strago for giving up on the search for the Hidon, foreshadowing the quest in WoR.

You can miss Celes' suicide attempt by saving Cid (yes you can save him and no it is not worth it).

Obviously enough, everything pertaining to Shadow is changed depending on whether you waited for him at the Floating Continent.

There is the Gau scene you mentioned, and I suggest recruiting everyone before watching it cause its awesome seeing the whole party in the shop.

Taking Terra with you into Cyan's dream world allows you to get access to her full list of Magitech spells when you are riding the armor. ;)

The scene with Cyan talking to the girl who sends letters to the wounded soldier that BMN mentioned.

Then ending is altered if you don't recruit certain characters, Mostly if you don't grab Sabin, Locke, and Strago.

That's all I can think of though I'm sure you knew most of them.

And I remember each of those. I was hoping maybe GBA added some new ones that the SNES version didn't have. When I first played this in 94 I remembered saving Cid, but every play through after that I failed keeping him alive and thought I had imagined it all. Eventually I saved him again, and it's a real shame they didn't give either a reward or a later cut scene when bringing back the crew. I always thought it would have been cool to have the reformed group meet up on that island and receive some Magicite or a weird invention weapon that Cid created to pass down for the final fight. Or even if they just turned that island into their home base while gathering their old team. Kinda like how Breath of Fire 2 slowly created a town of refuge throughout the course of the game.

Roto13
11-14-2010, 02:11 AM
I always try to save Cid because I'm weird and I don't like letting people in games die when I know they don't have to. >_> It's why I can't play Pikmin.

Elskidor
11-14-2010, 04:28 AM
That's funny. Now I have an urge to play Pikmin Cube!

ChaosPearl
11-14-2010, 05:03 AM
Wow, thanks for the detailed replies. I did know about most of those at one time or another but I'd forgotten them over the years. It's good to have a reference here so I can be sure to see all of them during this playthrough. And I did not know about Celes making different comments when you save her! I'm gonna take a guess here, if Locke is wearing the soldier outfit she says something akin to "A little short for a storm trooper?" LOL.

I'm sad now that I missed most of the scenes in Crescent Mountain with Gau... I kinda thought (half remembered somewhat foggily) there were more scenes there, but unfortunately the game is set up so that the instant you walk onto the square near the treasure, it automatically cuts to the party jumping into the trench and you aren't given the opportunity to go back into the cave and explore it. I hadn't played in years and had no idea where to go in the cave so I just stumbled around and sadly I walked right into the treasure before seeing any of the other scenes at all. Grrr. I wonder if I can still see those scenes if I bring Gau, Cyan and Sabin back there in the WoB. I may be misremembering but I'm almost certain there is a time in the WoB after the opera house where you've got the airship and aren't automatically cut-scened to the next plot location, so you can go anywhere you want.

I just hope I didn't double screw up the Sabin scenario by missing the item you can get from the wounded soldier. I sent all his letters and packages for him but after a couple go-rounds he just started saying "I want to get better, I want to see Lola" and I didn't get an option to send anything else for him... maybe I just didn't wait long enough after sending the last letter? I'll head back to Mobliz once I get the airship and hopefully it isn't too late to still get the item from him before the world goes to hell.

Wolf Kanno
11-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Just keep checking back with him and Lola. I don't think you can complete the quest unless you read every letter so just keep going between the two locations and you will eventually get the item.

After you get Terra back, you have the option to wander the world with the airship but after you start the plot again you won't have the option again until the Floating Continent appears.

As for Cid, I feel the reason why there is no reward for saving Cid is because Square canonically believes he dies and the reward-less scenario of saving him is to tell players its okay to kill him off.

As for the island being a haven for the party, the party already has their base of operations in the Falcon so I don't see it being necessary.

Elskidor
11-15-2010, 05:15 AM
As for the island being a haven for the party, the party already has their base of operations in the Falcon so I don't see it being necessary.

Not necessary but still woulda been neat.

SkyRender
03-01-2011, 07:56 PM
There is an other scene I can think of that wasn't mentioned. I think it's right after Celes is kidnapped by Setzer and you are trying to convince him to help the cause. If Edgar/Sabin is in your party on of them will give Celes the double headed coin (priority goes to Edgar). If they are both omitted from the party, if I remember correctly, Celes will just pull the coin from her pocket and thank Edgar in her head before scamming Setzer.

mr. papercuts
11-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Great list everyone! I had not known about the Cid and Setzer scene, and I've been playing this game for 16 years now :P

The only one I didn't see on that list:

When Cyan is dreaming in the WoR, after you "wake up" in the dream Doma, before going to the throne room to fight Wrexsoul, walk all around the castle. There are memories of Cyan and his son playing out in three different locations of the castle.

I think three, at least two.

Wolf Kanno
11-11-2011, 06:09 PM
I just remembered another one. Terra gets an extra piece of dialogue, if you take her to the Ancient Castle and read the Queen's diary.

espritduo
11-14-2011, 09:36 AM
A couple others...

While you are in the Returner's hideout, if you check the bucket in the main area, you'll get a message saying you found a scrap of paper. If you choose to leave it there, Banon will mention it during the meeting(if Terra chooses to help). Small and pointless, but it exists...

If you back track all the way back to South Figaro directly after recruiting Sabin and talk to Duncan's wife, Sabin and her will have a little chat about Duncan.

On the Phantom Train, you can get different dialogue and reactions during the little meal the ghosts serve you, depending on who your lead is. This includes the Ghosts and Shadow.

During the big battle at Narshe with Kefka, you can talk to each of the heads of the other parties for some optional dialogue. Buy changing the leaders, you can hear what every single character has to say about the battle.

Talking to each of the characters while they roam Arvis's house after the Narshe battle also yields bits of dialogue.

Each character has something different to say about the opera performance, depending on who you take.

You can also talk to all of the characters while they roam Vector after the meeting with the Emperor. Gau is easily missed, since he is in the bar, which he says reminds him of his father. Perhaps the crazy old man is just a drunk old man?

Similarly, always make sure you talk to everyone on the Blackjack after any major event. What each person says changes accordingly. Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to the WoR, and everyone will say the same thing throughout the rest of the game.

And as for the whole wounded soldier/Lola side-quest, there's several ways to do it, with pros and cons to each. You can choose to do the entire sidequest the first time you enter Mobliz, but this means you will miss out on Lola's responses to the things you send her, since you don't have access to Maranda. You still get the Tintinnabar, and you get it much earlier than if you waited until you get the Blackjack, but if you want to see every scene, you need to wait until you get the Blackjack.

Also, what determines when the response comes back so that you can send the next letter is sleeping at an inn, not actual game time. You can also save some gil and a tiny amount of time by choosing to talk to the guy that tells you about the Serpent Trench. For some odd reason, talking to him also moves the sidequest forwards, and lets you send the next letter for the soldier.

blackmage_nuke
11-14-2011, 01:31 PM
If you back track all the way back to South Figaro directly after recruiting Sabin and talk to Duncan's wife, Sabin and her will have a little chat about Duncan. Didnt know about this one, i'll have to check it out