PDA

View Full Version : so Does Anyone here like 80s Music?

livingandlearning
11-12-2010, 10:51 PM
Hey guys,
I was listening to the radio in my town (Kent) yesterday when they played this 'new' band called Memorial Beach - Memorial Beach (http://www.memorialbeachmusic.com) The music was really good but it sounded like it came straight from the 80s - it made me laugh cause I remember the time when no one would admit they liked 80s music and now its back in style.

Their website actually looks pretty rudimentary, not even a band photo on the site but I did like the song I heard - it reminded me of some bands I used to listen to a lot like the Cure, Human League, Cars, Smiths, etc.

So what kind of bands did you guys listen to back in the day? I think I'm gonna bust out my record collection again. :)

Madame Adequate
11-12-2010, 11:44 PM
The 80s was so great because of the music, quite simply. Best decade of music in human history. I love it. Human League, A Flock of Seagulls, Gary Newman, Duran Duran, Blondie, Nena, Frankie Goes to Hollywood, Cyndi Lauper, The Eurythmics, I could list people all night.

Bunny
11-12-2010, 11:53 PM
The only good thing to come out of the 80s was me.

Roto13
11-13-2010, 12:04 AM
I mostly listened to Fred Penner in the 80s.

Dreddz
11-13-2010, 12:10 AM
The 80's were THE decade. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3nPLoODtGU)

Psychotic
11-13-2010, 12:26 AM
I moved your thread to The Lounge as that's where music discussion goes :)

Anyway fuck yes 80's music. It's so cheesy and terrible that it is brilliant and I love it.

Huxley you are an awful man for not listing Tears for Fears :colbert:

Jessweeee♪
11-13-2010, 12:49 AM
No! I'm so glad I was born in the nineties and didn't have to suffer through it when it all began.

kotora
11-13-2010, 01:37 AM
Nothing is more awesome than 80s music.

Old Manus
11-13-2010, 02:11 AM
Apart from 70's music, of course.

Madame Adequate
11-13-2010, 02:23 AM
I moved your thread to The Lounge as that's where music discussion goes :)

Anyway smurf yes 80's music. It's so cheesy and terrible that it is brilliant and I love it.

If I had listed them you, or someone else, would have rightly lambasted me for someone else I missed. I could never hope to list something comrepehensive. :cry:

No! I'm so glad I was born in the nineties and didn't have to suffer through it when it all began.

This strikes me as more than a little Red. I think we need to call Joe McCarthy up.

charliepanayi
11-13-2010, 08:41 PM
There's some good 80s music certainly, stuff I can think of:

Kate Bush, The Cure, New Order (one of the best singles bands ever), The Smiths, Talk Talk, XTC, Beastie Boys, De La Soul, Galaxie 500, R.E.M., The Replacements, Paul Simon, Sonic Youth, Bruce Springsteen, Talking Heads, Tom Waits.

DMKA
11-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I like a good deal of 80s music. Much of it because it's so bad it's great.

The 80s was a great decade though, when you're talking about overall quality of life as an American.

Momiji
11-13-2010, 10:29 PM
I'm quite fond of The Cure.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
11-14-2010, 10:13 AM
Tears for Fears were horrible. The only good thing that came from them where when everyone else remade their songs. Thank god.

As for 80s in general, I can enjoy it, but it is getting harder, due to my coworkers only playing 80s. For hours. Every single day. Ugh.

Cuchulainn
11-14-2010, 04:34 PM
On the whole most 80s music was woeful. It's onedecade where it has not aged well at all. There are a few exceptions of course (The Smiths, The Cure etc) but it was mostly synth driving bollox.

Clo
11-14-2010, 04:59 PM
On the whole most 80s music was woeful. It's onedecade where it has not aged well at all. There are a few exceptions of course (The Smiths, The Cure etc) but it was mostly synth driving bollox.

Oh man, the Smiths. The best. The 80s would have been a total waste of time had it not been for them.

Madame Adequate
11-14-2010, 05:11 PM

I've heard the music you like and you're in no position to call anything else bollocks, least of all something as majestic as synths :doublecolbert:

kotora
11-14-2010, 05:14 PM
yeah Cuch, your stupid drum and bass songs wish they had that 80s synth sound. Synths are one of the biggest contributors of the awesomeness of the 80s.

Shiny
11-14-2010, 06:07 PM
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City made me appreciate 80s music. Before that, I was only listening to 80s music by Michael Jackson.

Elskidor
11-14-2010, 07:14 PM
Everything! 80's music still rocks.

Levian
11-14-2010, 11:35 PM
If I like the 80's? You bet your sweet child o' mine that I do! Many people consider the era to be absolute crap, but if I could spend one more day in Our house during the 80's I'd consider it Another day in paradise. Paradise city, to be exact. Eh, whatever, it's a Mad world, so just remember that Every breath you take might be your last, don't just remember pop trash like Wham when thinking of 80's music, there's so much more to the decade!

Whether you live Down under or in Africa, I hope you've enjoyed the 80's. I know I did, I might even go as far as to say that I've had the Time of my life.

Alive-Cat
11-14-2010, 11:37 PM
I like massive reverb on drums sometimes.

Elskidor
11-15-2010, 05:14 AM
If I like the 80's? You bet your sweet child o' mine that I do! Many people consider the era to be absolute crap, but if I could spend one more day in Our house during the 80's I'd consider it Another day in paradise. Paradise city, to be exact. Eh, whatever, it's a Mad world, so just remember that Every breath you take might be your last, don't just remember pop trash like Wham when thinking of 80's music, there's so much more to the decade! Whether you live Down under or in Africa, I hope you've enjoyed the 80's. I know I did, I might even go as far as to say that I've had the Time of my life.

Nice job sliding songs into your post. ;) GN'R is still one of my top bands of all times, but they continued to rock in the 90's and while not as good now, since it's just Axle and new randoms, new Guns are still alive and kicking. Love most of the 80's anyway though...soft, hard, pop or even country. Good decade for music. Music has really taken a turn for the worse in these last 10 years. Dunno what to call this last decade of music, but I'm not impressed.

charliepanayi
11-15-2010, 09:07 AM
The last decade of music has been terrific, and Guns n Roses have been a joke since pretty much after their debut album.

Carl the Llama
11-15-2010, 10:20 AM
How could you guys forget In The Air Tonight? The only song ever to reach No.1 over 3 separate decades... a testament to how awesome 80's music was.

kotora
11-15-2010, 10:30 AM
Phil Collins is on my "super awesome" list, among Bon Jovi, New Order, Chris the Burgh and a few other artist who are super awesome.

Chris
11-15-2010, 12:34 PM
Not crazy about '80s music to be perfectly honest. But there are some artists that managed to grab my attention. Grace Jones, obviously. That being said, not crazy about the fashion, style or the synthesizers. :eep:

The best decade of music is in my opinion the '50s.

Elskidor
11-15-2010, 03:17 PM
The last decade of music has been terrific, and Guns n Roses have been a joke since pretty much after their debut album.

Never understood the people that just like the debut album when the following three were every bit as good. There is a cult of Metallica fans that loathe anything Black Album and beyond and I never really understood them either. Anyway, 23 years later and GN'R's Appetite for Destruction still remains crowned as the top selling debut album of all time. I wonder how many more years it will take for a band to beat that record.

Cuchulainn
11-15-2010, 04:53 PM

I've heard the music you like and you're in no position to call anything else bollocks, least of all something as majestic as synths :doublecolbert:

gab:bou::bou::bou::bou:e...

Madame Adequate
11-15-2010, 05:07 PM

gab:bou::bou::bou::bou:e...

:love: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju2UTJPbTGM)

Heath
11-16-2010, 11:48 PM
80s pop music is very good and very easy to listen to, I find. Duran Duran, Human League, Spandau Ballet, 80s Bowie, The Smiths... there was an awful lot going for it as a decade.

Why, just this afternoon I was listening to Duran Duran as I worked on an essay. What a life I lead!

Depression Moon
11-17-2010, 02:19 AM
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City made me appreciate 80s music. Before that, I was only listening to 80s music by Michael Jackson.

Same except it reminded me of Jackson's songs back then and I had forgotten some of the rap back then too like Jungle.

Elskidor
01-16-2011, 02:29 AM

Had to dig this back up after learning musicradar voted Axl Rose as number one lead singer of all time. But I forgot that tid bit about this last decade of greatness, but it did give me a good laugh.

Shattered Dreamer
01-16-2011, 02:35 AM
I hate night clubs in general but my favorite night club in Dublin is called Madonna's & it plays nothing but 80's music. 80's music in general is god awful but when you've had a few drinks 80's pop music rocks so much harder than anything of the utter crap excuses for music that's forced upon the masses nowadays!

Elskidor
01-16-2011, 02:39 AM
We just need a new revolutionary sound to help kill the overload of crud that's swarmed in and WON'T go away.

charliepanayi
01-16-2011, 09:54 AM
Or you could just ignore it and listen to some good music instead, which is probably more realistic, Simon Cowell et al won't be vanishing any time soon.

Aerith's Knight
01-16-2011, 11:35 AM
I listen to Hotel California and Stand by me. I guess that's something?

Bunny
01-16-2011, 07:22 PM
God no, why would I torture myself like that?

LunarWeaver
01-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Total Eclipse of the Heart gave me the best music video that has ever happened.

Shoden
01-21-2011, 01:14 AM
New Wave of British Heavy Metal, but some of them metal bands were American actually, Motley Crue, Metallica, Manowar, KISS. Judas Priest were really kicking assage round this time :D

You had Michael Jackson, AC/DC with Brian Johnson was a bit of a roller-coaster as well, because to me AC/DC is Bon Scott, that's their sound and Brian Johnson's stuff is a bit, meh...

You had Black Sabbath with their 80's stuff, even after Dio left they went so deep into 80's cliches, reverbed drums ftw.

Who else... Er, The Who's album "Its Hard" without Keith Moon and its amazing just for the song Eminence Front, Rush had Moving Pictures.

Queen were unreal during this period, Sheer Hear Attack... Actually everything by Queen released in the 80's was. Wow.

But yeah, 80's is win. Definitely win.

theundeadhero
01-21-2011, 04:09 AM
Gotta agree with Shoden.