PDA

View Full Version : Random Encounters

Elskidor
11-13-2010, 12:51 AM
Been replaying through some FF titles recently and realized one thing that didn't use to bother me, but now irritates me to no end. After playing Final Fantasy psp and moving on to FFIX I noticed one thing that annoys the hell out of me about the playstation titles. Rather than the classics and their quick BAM random encounter instant get sucked into fight load time yaddi yaddi, the playstation annoyingly makes you watch the atmosphere around each fight and slowly *YAWN* brings the camera into view of your characters, and eventually allows you to actually get down to fighting. When they get around to remaking 7-9 I really hope they can speed that up a bit, random encounters are not that much fun anyway, but when it makes you suffer a longer wait just to initiate commands it get more frustrating.

Del Murder
11-13-2010, 01:14 AM
IX is particularly horrible about the battle load time. Like you I never noticed it until I played the more modern games.

There was a recent thread found here (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-final-fantasy/134662-encounters-encounters-what-do.html) that discusses random encounters and their alternatives if you are interested.

ShinGundam
11-13-2010, 01:42 AM
Been replaying through some FF titles recently and realized one thing that I didn't use to bother me, but now irritates me to no end. After playing Final Fantasy psp and moving on to FFIX I noticed one thing that annoys the hell out of me about the playstation titles. Rather than the classics and their quick BAM random encounter instant get sucked into fight load time yaddi yaddi, the playstation annoyingly makes you watch the atmosphere around each fight and slowly *YAWN* brings the camera into view of your characters, and eventually allows you to actually get down to fighting. When they get around to remaking 7-9 I really hope they can speed that up a bit, random encounters are not that much anyway, but when it makes you suffer a longer wait just to initiate commands it get more frustrating.
The load times for battles were terrible only because FFIX has 4 characters in battle screen.

Del Murder
11-13-2010, 01:47 AM
I've never heard that. What's your source?

Elskidor
11-13-2010, 04:31 AM
So 4 characters made for bad load time? Would explain why they went back down the route of keeping 3 toons per battle sequence, but I really prefer the old school 4 routine. Fighter, healer, black magic attacker, and other of players choice. Honestly, I think they should try another game like IV and attempt another five person battle system. Still like 7, 8 and 9 but just noticed this nasty habit today after running some earlier titles. I can't remember X's fights atm, but ps2 is a faster system so I'm guessing it wasn't as harsh about that.

VeloZer0
11-14-2010, 03:38 AM
Even if having 4 characters in FF9 did slow the battle load time (I am going to assume they are higher detail than FF8 as well, though I am kind of handicapped in noticing such things), it still takes forever with the panning over once the battle has loaded.

I haven't played FF8 since release, but FF7 didn't seem to bother me at all, unlike FF9.

(I am also disgusted at your attitude that FF7-9 remakes are inevitable :p)

Elskidor
11-14-2010, 04:39 AM
lol, well I figure they all will eventually get remade and remade as long as the money continues to flow. I'm disgusted that FFV and FFVI has not been in the works for the remake, but when they do the hard core FFVII people will demand a remake of that and if 7 is remade the hardcore fans of 8 will demand the same treatment and onward toward 9. I don't see a reason for X and beyond to be remade because their graphics are already extremely well and unless we see a massive increase in gaming graphics I guess they'll stop at IX. I'm happy as long as they revisit V and VI before they tamper with th PS titles.

As for your comment on VII's load time though....I'm already adjusted to IX's now, and plan on going back through a few others before revisiting VII and VIII and when I do I'll post in here how the load time in those differs from IX. I think all of the PS ones are slower though just because of the updated graphics. I think after playing FF1 and skipping so far ahead is just a large jump and changes in load time is to be expected. Still doesn't make it any less annoying.

Raven Riley
11-14-2010, 05:53 AM
Oh my GOD the load time drives me absolutely INSANE!!! :argh:

I like it better when the battles are like FFXII or XIII!

Mo-Nercy
11-14-2010, 06:02 PM
VII - You get down to business quickly enough, so I'm not too bothered by the wait time.
VIII - I get Enc-None ASAP so also not an issue for me personally.
IX - Kind of annoying.
X - HATE the glass breaking thing.

Elpizo
11-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Meh, I'm not really bothered by the loading times in IX... Sure, it's long, but you get used to it, and it doesn't make grinding abilities a pain since you can earn so much AP per battle anyway...

Depression Moon
11-15-2010, 09:37 PM
I guess I really never noticed them or was bothered by them in IX since that was my first FF. I did feel like I was waiting for my turn too long though when you were playing with Zidane solo in the Evil forest briefly.

Elpizo
11-17-2010, 11:07 PM
Once you get auto-haste battles are much faster, anyway...