PDA

View Full Version : Chinese construction workers build a 15-story hotel in just SIX DAYS!

SuperMillionaire
11-13-2010, 09:58 PM
Yes, you read that right: SIX DAYS! Check this out:

Chinese workers build 15-story hotel in just six days | The Upshot Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20101112/bs_yblog_upshot/chinese-workers-build-15-story-hotel-in-just-six-days)

There's a time-lapse video on this article page that shows the construction from day one to day six! Incredible!

DMKA
11-13-2010, 10:08 PM
I wonder how long until the headlines about it falling down.

Or rather, how long until the headline that Walmart is now selling prefab real estate.

kotora
11-13-2010, 10:11 PM
would have taken them 6 years over here if this were a government project

escobert
11-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Damn that was nuts. The video showing it is awesome.

Peegee
11-13-2010, 11:09 PM
Well yeah, if you were to construct a fisher price model hotel, sure. Besides they're Chinese. I bet they didn't even sleep and worked over the course of a week. Or they hired 5x the amount of employees yet costing 50% of the cost of American workers.

DMKA
11-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Well yeah, if you were to construct a fisher price model hotel, sure. Besides they're Chinese. I bet they didn't even sleep and worked over the course of a week. Or they hired 5x the amount of employees yet costing 50% of the cost of American workers.

Yeah I was reading something about it somewhere how they would start at 4am and wouldn't stop until 10pm, so don't expect to see this happening in other parts of the world soon.

Despite the cynicism in my previous post, this is indeed impressive and they say it's actually sturdy and would meet all the requirements if it were built here in the US and it even has resistance to quakes. That's cool, but it just won't happen here because workers have rights. But I do think it's evidence that we could be more time and cost efficient in building.

blackmage_nuke
11-14-2010, 05:38 AM
And they say communism doesnt work.

Peegee
11-14-2010, 08:58 AM

Yeah I was reading something about it somewhere how they would start at 4am and wouldn't stop until 10pm, so don't expect to see this happening in other parts of the world soon.

Despite the cynicism in my previous post, this is indeed impressive and they say it's actually sturdy and would meet all the requirements if it were built here in the US and it even has resistance to quakes. That's cool, but it just won't happen here because workers have rights. But I do think it's evidence that we could be more time and cost efficient in building.

There should be some sort of upper limit where the benefits have diminishing returns, but we can do it with just more people.

Mo-Nercy
11-14-2010, 05:28 PM
I've been putting off washing my car for the past week. Now I feel really guilty.

Rodarian
11-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Earth was created in six days...on the seventh God rested....

Mirage
11-14-2010, 10:42 PM
It's amazing what a man can do when the life of his family depends on it.

Alive-Cat
11-14-2010, 10:47 PM
This is proof that there are actually many good, worthwhile benefits of crack. :greenie:

Crop
11-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Earth was created in six days...on the seventh God rested....

They probably started work on another building on the seventh day.

Mirage
11-15-2010, 12:12 AM
This is proof that there are actually many good, worthwhile benefits of crack. :greenie:

Idk, sounds more like an amphetamine-thing to do

Miriel
11-15-2010, 07:44 AM
As someone currently living in an apartment complex undergoing massive construction/renovation, I'd just like to say that this is the most amazing thing EVER. The estimated completion time for phase one of the construction project at my complex is 5 months. 5 MONTHS! For phase ONE!!

This is seriously what I wake up to every morning:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/Picture2-12.png

:crying2:

Rye
11-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Oh man, if that was in the US, those workers would have amassed a fortune in overtime.

Raven Riley
11-15-2010, 04:48 PM
This is crazy! You have to admire their spirits! :p

Old Manus
11-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Impressive, but most western buildings are built by contractors bringing in maybe 20-30 people for a building that size. You can see from the video that there are obviously hundreds and hundreds of workers, all no doubt being paid pittance (only way you could make money with so many employees).

Peegee
11-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Impressive, but most western buildings are built by contractors bringing in maybe 20-30 people for a building that size. You can see from the video that there are obviously hundreds and hundreds of workers, all no doubt being paid pittance (only way you could make money with so many employees).

lol china

Bunny
11-15-2010, 10:13 PM
As someone currently living in an apartment complex undergoing massive construction/renovation, I'd just like to say that this is the most amazing thing EVER. The estimated completion time for phase one of the construction project at my complex is 5 months. 5 MONTHS! For phase ONE!!

:crying2:

About 5 minutes after I had woken up, the construction workers started tearing apart the bathroom that is directly blow my bedroom. They are doing something with the plumping and making a hell of a lot of noise. It's been going on all weekend and it is terribly annoying.

Also amusing, I live near the college campus and they were building a new wall with the school lettering on it. Simple enough project that took about two and a half weeks, even though the weather has been nice for the most part.

DMKA
11-16-2010, 05:12 AM

lol china

I heard they get paid in Bok Choy. :D

SuperMillionaire
11-18-2010, 03:41 PM
Now if only they could replicate that progress here...

NorthernChaosGod
11-18-2010, 06:31 PM

They could, if they ignored basic human rights. :p

Peegee
11-18-2010, 09:50 PM

They could, if they ignored basic human rights. :p

Or just hired more people, hiring from a company that is not unionized. But what would be the point?

NorthernChaosGod
11-18-2010, 10:49 PM
They would have to pay them abysmal wages for that, so that goes back to what I said already. :p

SuperMillionaire
11-19-2010, 09:18 PM
How many workers do companies tend to hire, and how many SHOULD they hire if they want to replicate the pace of the Chinese workers?