PDA

View Full Version : FFX's "Suteki Da Ne" vs. Chrono Cross's "Radical Dreamers"

The Fat Bioware Nerd
11-18-2010, 04:19 AM
YouTube - Final Fantasy X-Suteki Da Ne (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlwSPMwAqbM&feature=related)

YouTube - Chrono Cross Ending - "Radical Dreamers" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NuU3YF41QE)

I suppose you're wondering why I'm pitting Chrono Cross up against Final Fantasy X...Well, the answer is quite simple really, both songs are sung in Japanese, you see, it wouldn't be fair to pit Suteki Da Ne up against Melodies of Life or Eyes on Me because both of those songs were sung in English. And there is a world of smurfing difference between the English language and the Japanese language.

blackmage_nuke
11-18-2010, 04:42 AM
Well Melodies of Life was initially in Japanese

The Fat Bioware Nerd
11-18-2010, 04:48 AM
Well Melodies of Life was initially in Japanese

I know but I'm from the United States and here in this country, Melodies of Life is probably more widely recognized for it's English song as opposed to it's Japanese song. But Sutek Da Ne and Radical Dreamers weren't given any official English translated songs so that's why I decided to pit them up against each other.

VeloZer0
11-18-2010, 06:03 AM
Radical Dreamers is probably the only vocal video game piece I like, so this isn't really a tough choice.

Wolf Kanno
11-18-2010, 04:11 PM
Suteki De Na is a very forgettable and boring song. Really the only song in FFX that was worth anything was Hymn of the Fayeth and possibly Overworld. Radical Dreamers on the other hand is a gorgeous piece of music with really touching lyrics (if you ever read a translation or speak Japanese that is). So this was a no brainer. Hell, I'm with VeloZer0 on the notion that Radical Dreamers is probably the best song from Square's games with possibly mentions from Xenogears (I have a soft spot), Legend of Mana, and Parasite Eve 1.

Roogle
11-18-2010, 06:00 PM
Radical Dreamers and its various attempts at dubbing across the world seem far more beautiful and memorable to me than Suteki da Ne. The powerful ending of Chrono Cross leaves an impression, but Suteki da Ne is first heard and played during a romantic scene in the middle of Final Fantasy X, so I think that has something to do with it, too.

The Fat Bioware Nerd
11-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Hey have you guys ever listened to the Chinese version of Suteki Da Ne?

YouTube - Final Fantasy X Suteki Da Ne (Chinese Version) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_VCxqUhPPQ)

I think the Chinese version is a little bit better but it's still kind of forgettable in my opinion.

Tokimadoushi
02-11-2011, 01:54 PM
Tough one! Two beautiful songs that I absolutely love. I think Rikki is the better vocalist of the two, but the execution of Radical Dreamers surpasses even the majestic orchestral version of Suteki da Ne. Why am I choosing Radical Dreamers? The end piece with the chorus of voices. It brings me to tears every time.

Fynn
02-11-2011, 10:51 PM
Definitelly Radical Dreamers. And it's not just because Rikki's voice makes my ears bleed. Radical Dreamers was just... well, dreamy ;) I loved the way it was basically a solo guitar and vocal. The simplicity and beauty of the theme made for an unforgettable song. And, like Tokimadoushi, I just love the choral part ;) Suteki da ne - while a beautiful composition as well, has simply abysmal vocals. I get that Rikki is a folk Japanese singer and many people may consider that way of singing cute, but I just find it wrong and hurtful. What is more, it seems like with every performance she gets worse. While she was decent in the original and the 20020220 concert album, in Dear Friends she was starting to get a bit off-tone, while the More Friends concert album was completely unbearable to listen. Seriously, the "da" in the chorus was just soo off-tone I thought I would die. No wonder they replaced her for the Distant Worlds albums...