PDA

View Full Version : Are people today worse than ever?

Lone Wolf Leonhart
11-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Inspired by Roto's thread (http://forums.eyesonff.com/general-chat/135089-curtis-got-slapped-white-teacher.html).

I was recently reminded of a video I saw a few years ago where a kid on Dr.Phil slaps his mom for not "giving him a turn to speak". Fast forward to around 1:58 in the video...

YouTube - Kid pimp slaps his mom on the dr.phil show (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9BEsJPGTYI)

I had originally thought about titling this something along the lines of "Are kids worse than ever?" but it's clearly not just the kids. Flipping through the television channels I see commercials for a whole bunch of shows starring pretentious conceited grown women acting like teenagers.

So is it all downhill from here? What are your thoughts?

Bunny
11-18-2010, 08:09 AM
If my kid talked to me like that, I'd beat the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of him. Fat little bastard.

Roto13
11-18-2010, 03:11 PM
Talk show dirtbags don't count as people. And people in general are a lot less savage today than they were in the past. At least in civilized countries.

kotora
11-18-2010, 03:15 PM
Talk show dirtbags don't count as people. And people in general are a lot less savage today than they were in the past. At least in civilized countries.

at least they didn't bitch about everything on the internet back then

Roto13
11-18-2010, 03:28 PM

They were too busy *insert horrible thing people did to each other at some point in the past*

Madame Adequate
11-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Nope. Every generation thinks the "youth of today" are going to be the downfall of civilization. This dates back at least as far as Aristotle.

In reality nope (http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/steven_pinker_on_the_myth_of_violence.html). We're less violent than before. We're more wealthy and developed. We're more enlightened. We're not perfect and still have a hell of a long way to go, but any reasonable examination of the evidence will conclude that we're better than we've ever been.

Psychotic
11-18-2010, 04:18 PM
I like those dramatic gunshot sound effects whenever he makes a stabbing motion with his elbow.

blackmage_nuke
11-18-2010, 04:31 PM

Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal (http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db=comics&id=1789#comic)

rubah
11-18-2010, 04:53 PM
People are also better than ever.

Peegee
11-18-2010, 05:19 PM
Remember we used to have rampant unprotected sex a few generations ago leading to AIDS (damnit, I want rampant unprotected sex). And before that we were dancing to music and being unkempt, and before that we were looting and pillaging and killing and burning.

We're a bunch of wimps

pic related

http://www.makemymood.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/japan-then-and-now.jpg

Jessweeee♪
11-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Ehhh like others have said every generation is supposedly going to be our downfall. When you look back at the past you tend to remember things more fondly than they were. That and people are more publicized and connected now than they ever have been.

Not to mention nobody wants to watch a show where a reasonably, responsible person has a normal and uneventful day.

EDIT:

Also like PG said past generations gave us AIDS. They're the bad guys :colbert:

Old Manus
11-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Well at least he knows how to treat his women

Shiny
11-18-2010, 05:59 PM
I like those dramatic gunshot sound effects whenever he makes a stabbing motion with his elbow.

:lol:

This kid probably gets teased in school and/or doesn't have a father figure around. His behavior is certainly not the norm for humanity.

NorthernChaosGod
11-18-2010, 06:33 PM
If my kid talked to me like that, I'd beat the :bou::bou::bou::bou: out of him. Fat little bastard.

On national TV too. Smug little fat fuck. :colbert:

Clo
11-18-2010, 07:29 PM
I agree with MILF and so on. Also, we need to keep in mind that awful television shows like Dr. Phil are putting together things for the ratings, and there may not be much of a truth to what is seen, or it's exagerrated for the most appalled reaction they can receive from their viewership.

Shlup
11-18-2010, 08:19 PM
It wasn't even kind of okay for the kid to slap his mom, but it's clear the kid is desperate to be heard and have his feelings validated. He's not the only brat in the room.

Humanity is fine right now. Society has a pretty large population of dregs--the anti-education culture and welfare queens--that we could stand to cut off like an infected limb, but most of us are fine. If the worst example you can come up with is an over-emotional and improperly disciplined fat kid then I think we're pretty well off, actually.

Dreddz
11-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Did that mum call her son dude? If so then yes, people today are worse than ever.

Meat Puppet
11-19-2010, 03:27 PM
We're just soft

Freya
11-19-2010, 08:09 PM
I think it's the tech of today that lets us see all the stupidity going on. Before you couldn't youtube anything and find stupid people doing stupid :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Now we can find it anywhere!

fire_of_avalon
11-19-2010, 10:25 PM
While I agree the mother is pretty much an idiot there too, I would snap off that kid's arm and beat him to death with it.

People have always simultaneously sucked and ruled. You move on.

Jiro
11-20-2010, 10:17 AM
I would have floored that kid. I would have taken him out to lunch and gave him a healthy serving of knuckle sandwich.

Psychotic
11-20-2010, 10:56 AM
You talk a good fight, Dakoda, but we all know that kid could easily kick your ass.

Jiro
11-20-2010, 11:02 AM
There are two things he has over me: being fat and being angry. I like to think that a swift kick to his balls would sort his attitude problem. Failing that I would've probably just hit the little prick with the chair I was sitting on. Let's see his fat arse swallow that before it starts to sting.

Psychotic
11-20-2010, 12:09 PM
Do you often have these wholesome and not at all sociopathic thoughts of inflicting extreme violence upon children, or is this just a one time dealie?

Pheesh
11-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Someone needs to brush up on their Australian culture.

Psychotic
11-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Penal colony more like penile colony.

Meat Puppet
11-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Russell Crowe

Roto13
11-20-2010, 04:34 PM
Russell Crowe

Fuck that guy.

Mirage
11-20-2010, 08:08 PM
No, people of today aren't worse than ever. Also, one of my biggest fears is that I'll start thinking they are when I get older. I hope I never grow up *that* much.

NorthernChaosGod
11-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Penal colony more like penile colony.

Evastio
11-23-2010, 12:58 AM
Well, in general I'd say that in some ways people are getting better (less physical violence and brutality running rampant, people trying to solve problems by talking rather than fighting) and in some ways people are getting worse (people have become insanely lazy, morality is valued much less).

DMKA
11-23-2010, 03:49 AM
I'm far more concerned with the fact that there's a show exploiting situations like this and people are contributing to it and keeping the douchebags behind it rich. Seriously, Dr. Phil needs to be kicked in the ass several hundred times.

And no, people are not worse than ever. In fact people are probably better than ever. We allow other people we don't like to stay alive far more than we ever have and allow people more freedoms to live their lives the way they see most fit.

We are also wimpier than ever though. The fact that so many college aged guys are as girly as they are now scares me.