PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Part 1)

Freya
11-19-2010, 09:54 AM
I saw it at the midnight screening with my mommy. It was awesome. They fixed some missing things in the first like five minutes "Hi i'm bill weasley, you never met me before but i'm risking my life for you." (paraphrased of course :shifty:)

Seraphic
11-19-2010, 09:58 AM
I was just about to make this,lol.
I also saw the midnight showing and I was fairly happy with how much they covered in the first movie since I thought it was gonna be a lot more camping,which I'm glad they omitted.
Although I was a bit upset about there being no closure between Harry and the Dursleys, I kinda remember them having some kind of talk with one another before leaving.
Overall, I liked it alot. Not the best, but certainly not as bad as Half-Blood Prince.

NorthernChaosGod
11-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Woo! Harry Potter!

I'm going to pass out now, I'm exhausted.

Kirobaito
11-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Overall, I liked it alot. Not the best, but certainly not as bad as Half-Blood Prince.
Which HP movie is better? Just wondering.

Not since Chamber of Secrets had they followed a book so to-the-letter. This time, though, because they had the time to do so, it worked very well.

Seraphic
11-19-2010, 06:25 PM
Which HP movie is better? Just wondering.

Not since Chamber of Secrets had they followed a book so to-the-letter. This time, though, because they had the time to do so, it worked very well.

If you mean between DH Part 1 and HBP then definitely the former. If you mean overall across the entire series, Prizoner of Azkaban has always been my favorite.

Peegee
11-19-2010, 07:04 PM
It's a double movie so while I'm excited I'd rather wait until the movies are both released. But what am I kidding?

I cannot believe they didn't show Bill earlier. Now his entrance will be awkward and pointless.

PS: is the pacing better now that they have 6 hours? Or is it still rushed?

Jessweeee♪
11-19-2010, 07:24 PM
I also saw the midnight showing and I was fairly happy with how much they covered in the first movie since I thought it was gonna be a lot more camping,which I'm glad they omitted.
Although I was a bit upset about there being no closure between Harry and the Dursleys, I kinda remember them having some kind of talk with one another before leaving.

Yeah, they sort of ceased to exist after the third movie (though I think they did briefly appear in the sixth?). I hope there is some closure in the final movie.

Also everyone has seen this movie but me :(

Does Part 1 end where Harry "dies"?

Seraphic
11-19-2010, 07:46 PM

Yeah, they sort of ceased to exist after the third movie (though I think they did briefly appear in the sixth?). I hope there is some closure in the final movie.

Also everyone has seen this movie but me :(

Does Part 1 end where Harry "dies"?

That would basically be the entire book,lol.
It ends right after Dobby dies and Voldemort visits Dumbledore's tomb to take the Elder Wand.

Rye
11-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Aside from leaving out my favorite part (the Dumbledore youth drama, which I understand would be difficult to portray), this movie was fairly spot on and beautifully shot.

Peegee
11-19-2010, 08:31 PM
If you need plot summaries to refresh your brain, try Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Harry Potter Wiki (http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Deathly_Hallows#Plot) instead of wikipedia :)

NorthernChaosGod
11-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Now that I'm not dead tired, I really enjoyed this one. I feel like it has the best pacing of any of the movies, which it damn well better have had.

Shlup
11-20-2010, 12:20 AM
I will say the same thing I've said for the other six movies: As someone who never read the books, I liked it. The only thing that bugged me was sitting next to Ashley, 'cause during every slightly inaccurate part she has to shake her head like someone's killing her baby in front of her.

Also, Dobby's funeral was too much. Dobby is great and all, but he wasn't in the movies much so so much focus on his death didn't feel right.

Kirobaito
11-20-2010, 05:18 AM
I will say the same thing I've said for the other six movies: As someone who never read the books, I liked it. The only thing that bugged me was sitting next to Ashley, 'cause during every slightly inaccurate part she has to shake her head like someone's killing her baby in front of her.

Also, Dobby's funeral was too much. Dobby is great and all, but he wasn't in the movies much so so much focus on his death didn't feel right.
What part was even slightly inaccurate? They took out some things - like going into Dumbledore's youthful homosexual indiscretions - but I don't recall much of anything that was even changed. I don't see how anyone could be upset with inaccuracies, because it didn't feel like there were any. Of course, I haven't read the seventh book since the day it came out, which was over three years ago.

NorthernChaosGod
11-20-2010, 05:26 AM
It was like the most accurate movie of the series. :confused:

Shlup
11-20-2010, 05:34 AM
Well I don't know what was inaccurate.

Chris
11-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Overall, I was pretty satisfied with Part 1, however:

1. Way too little emphasis on Scrimgeour.

2. Kreacher. Why not show a flashback of how Kreacher escaped the cave with the Locket, instead of giving Dobby more screentime in the movie? Dobby's role in the movie was actually bigger than it was in the book.

3. Sad to see that there was almost no mention of Rita Skeeter's "Life and Lies of Dumbledore", which was almost completely left out, but hopefully they'll explore this a little more in Part 2, as it explains a lot about Dumbledore, and, in my opinion, pretty crucital to the entire story.

4. Tonks have been screwed over ever since the Order of the Phoenix, in which she had one freaking line. She is such a great and funny character in the books, and they have done such a poor job of even attempting to capture that in the movies. And her relationship to Lupin? Unless you have read the books, you would be hard-pressed to actually find out that they are a couple by watching the movies.

A couple of other things such as the nonexistent lines of Tonks, Lupin, Fleur, Bill and a couple more.

Seraphic
11-20-2010, 04:46 PM
I've seen people complain about the stupidest things. For example, Dean Thomas was supposed to stumble across the trio while they were camping, and then was supposed to show up again at Malfoy Manor with Luna, but he never showed up.
It's too bad they didn't have more of Dobby throughout the series along with Hermione's founding of S.P.E.W. as it would've made Dobby's speech of freedom more touching to those who hadn't read the books.
Having read the book, the ending was very emotional :cry:

Del Murder
11-20-2010, 05:47 PM
The camping stuff was done as well as it could have been. It was boring as smurf in the books and in the movie it was still boring but managed to be better paced.

All in all it was pretty decent. Much better than the last couple of movies, for sure.

Also Dobby. :(

Breine
11-21-2010, 02:13 AM
I liked it a lot. It's probably the best Harry Potter movie to date. The idea to split the last book into two movies was great, as it allows for the movies to go more in depth with the story, build up more suspense and thus be more intense.

Elskidor
11-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Never read the books, but liked the movie as much as I liked the others. Really thought it was weird that Mad Eye's death was like "whatever he died, too bad, let's move on.", and everyone freaked out for Dobby. I miss the lack of Snape and Dumbledore but maybe they'll be in more on part 2. It was an alright movie I thought.

Miss_Lulu
11-21-2010, 07:52 PM
Best one so far. Without a doubt.
I saw it with my friend Cassie and we both were in tears when Dobby died. Though I think they were a bit over dramatic with his death.
I really didn't like that the part that Dean stumbled across Harry, Ron, and Hermione whilest camping, because it was significant in the fact that, that is how Harry, Ron, and Hermione found out that Voldemort put that curse on his name, that if you said he name, the Snatchers could find you. I'm pretty sure that's how they get caught in the book, not by Hermione leaving her scarf. That part just really bothered me, because the movie didn't tell you at all why people weren't saying Voldemort's name, they just didn't and the one time they did the Snatchers came, but I thought that you'd have to know about the curse beforehand to connect those two incidents together.

Besides that, I thought everything was pretty spot on. I love the part at the begining when everyone is turning into Harry, and Fleur is like 'Don't look at me Bill, I'm hideous.' Good laughs. Plus the actor they picked to play Scabior was really pretty.

One last thing I'd like to note, was Lucius, Narcissa, and Draco's acting at Malfoy Manor. They were spot on. You got the feel that they were just trying to stay alive too. Lucius looked wrecked, wornout and such, like everything was gettting to him. Draco looked like he was going to cry when he was fighting with Harry over the wands, and Narcissa looked really shocked when Hermione took her wand.

Okay, okay. I'm done.

Miriel
11-21-2010, 08:35 PM
I thought it was pretty good! And definitely one of the better Harry Potter movies, although that's really not saying much. I've found most of the movies to be utterly forgettable. Not great, not bad, just totally not worth remembering.

But I thought this movie had a great sense of tension that hasn't really existed in the previous films. They did a really good job of raising the stakes, especially by opening the film with Hermione erasing her parent's memory. The book had awful atrocious pacing issues and was boring as all hell for the first half, so I think that for the first time, the movie actually was more entertaining than the book.

I think the last movie will be pretty great now that everything is setup and all that's left is crazy fighting.

Shoeberto
11-21-2010, 08:59 PM
I've enjoyed all of the movies, but still haven't read the last book, so I went in pretty much with a blank slate. But I reallyyyyyyy dug it a lot. There were definitely some oddities (Bill/Fleur and Mundungus just sorta being all "o hai" plopped in there with no explanation, considering how big those played in 5-6). But it was super well done. The action scenes were brilliant, especially in the muggle world.

Can't say how accurate it was, since I'm still yet to read the last book, but it was very good. I really love all of the movies, though.

Bastian
11-21-2010, 09:15 PM
I was a midnighter. I arrived at 6pm and there was no one so was told I couldn't even get in line until 6.45pm; when I came back there were already ten people. :/ So I napped for a few hours in line. :P And then they let us in two hours before to get our seats and I napped for an hour in my seat. :P But this thread isn't really about our experiences of waiting for the movie, so I digress...

I read and finished the book the moment it came out (another midnight hoopla) and I could barely remember much of it.

The Bill thing bugged me. I know there are fans out there who would have cried foul had he been omitted from the movie... but it's a movie, not the book. It made no sense for him to suddenly be there. The movies-only audience were probably confused by this sudden new Weasley. And the Mundungus bit felt off, as others have mentioned, but I really can't think of a way to fix that.

I'm okay with Doby getting more screen time, because otherwise you would never have been able to feel the full weight of what happens to him otherwise. It might have been slightly too overplayed, though. But it made me cry, so it was clearly effective.

I'm miffed they omitted the whole story behind why people cannot say "Voldemort" . . . if they thought they made it clear by having Mr. Lovegood say it and the Snatchers appearing out of nowhere, they were wrong, because the movies-only friend I saw it with brought that up as a plot hole and I had to explain why it wasn't.

I also really, really, REALLY think they should have done the Dumbledore-youth stuff. I'm not exactly sure HOW they could have worked it in, but they should have. Or maybe they're saving that for the last movie?

Someone mentioned how they glossed over Mad Eye's death as a mistake, but I think that was perfect: it showed just how serious the situation was and that they didn't have time to mourn.

I was appalled that Draco didn't even have ONE line in the entire movie. Wait, no, I think he did have a line or two. But it felt like his part was pretty diminished, but I guess that makes sense.

Geeze, this "kids" are looking OLD. Draco looked middle aged, and so did Harry at a few points.

Seraphic
11-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Poor Draco, it's hard to play a 17 year old when you are actually 24,lol.

I was looking up domestic box office grosses for the movie, and it said that Deathly Hallows made 125,000,000 in it's first weekend so far!
Pretty amazing D:

Jessweeee♪
11-21-2010, 10:09 PM

The Dobby thing has been bugging the people who read the books for ages now. He interacts with Harry & Co. very often in the books (he even gets a nice job at Hogwarts!), so his death hits really hard. We've all been complaining "people who haven't read the books won't be sad because he's never in the movies omg what if he's not even there?!"

Carl the Llama
11-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Though I have yet to watch the movie I do know of one thing they did change, and that was Harry being Harry at the wedding rather then using Polyjuice Potion to change into that ginger haired muggle boy.

I will hopefully be able to go see it on Sunday as it is the only time when I am not working a long day.

Shiny
11-21-2010, 11:38 PM
like going into Dumbledore's youthful homosexual indiscretions
Wait what?! I gotta go see this movie.

Miriel
11-22-2010, 12:41 AM
Oh and was anyone else forcefully reminded of Lord of the Rings throughout the movie? Didn't help that Dan Rad has a certain Elijah Wood-ness about him. Traipsing around the forest with this evil thing around his neck. Unable to destroy the thing. It must be taken to Mt. Doom!

Chris
11-22-2010, 01:05 AM
Geeze, this "kids" are looking OLD. Draco looked middle aged, and so did Harry at a few points.
This, and it's not only Tom. Yes, Dan looked disturbingly...well, "mature" in many scenes. If I hadn't known his real age, he could easily be passed off as being at least 30+ in my book.

I sincerely hope that they elaborate on the entire Dumbledore thing in the second movie. It is just way too essential a part of the book to be completely ignored.

And the mirror part must have left people who haven't read the books completely confused.

Shlup
11-22-2010, 01:28 AM
I don't even remember a mirror part.

Peegee
11-22-2010, 04:22 AM
Harry was carrying a mirror fragment throughout the film

I particularly liked it when they were making fun of the Twilight Series. Quite overtly too. Bonus points if you know what I'm talking about.

Shlup
11-22-2010, 05:34 AM
Oh yeah, that mirror chunk. I wasn't confused by it at the time, but I can't say I got it either.

I did not catch any Twilight jokes.

Bunny
11-22-2010, 06:11 AM
I'm miffed they omitted the whole story behind why people cannot say "Voldemort" . . . if they thought they made it clear by having Mr. Lovegood say it and the Snatchers appearing out of nowhere, they were wrong, because the movies-only friend I saw it with brought that up as a plot hole and I had to explain why it wasn't.

Your friend is not smart. I have never read the books and I was not confused at this part or any other part of the movie.

Good movie. The camping bits were long and drawn out, overly boring, but I guess that's how it was in the books or something. Less drama, more Dobby.

Peegee
11-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Ron is 'supposed' to explain it after he comes back, but he doesn't, because you're smart viewers who understood inception on first viewing

Kirobaito
11-22-2010, 04:40 PM

I particularly liked it when they were making fun of the Twilight Series. Quite overtly too. Bonus points if you know what I'm talking about.
They mention 'Twilight' when Hermione is talking about the story of the three brothers at Xeno's house. I don't remember the exact lines, but I remember at the time I caught some kind of a reference to Twilight.

Seraphic
11-22-2010, 05:10 PM

They mention 'Twilight' when Hermione is talking about the story of the three brothers at Xeno's house. I don't remember the exact lines, but I remember at the time I caught some kind of a reference to Twilight.

When she starts the story she says that the three brothers were walking down a road at twilight,and Ron corrects her saying it was midnight because that's how his mom always told the story. Hermione gives him the evil eye and Ron says fine,twilight, it's better that way anyway.
How this is a jab at Twilight, or has anything to do with Twilight other than using the word, still eludes me.

Freya
11-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Oh and was anyone else forcefully reminded of Lord of the Rings throughout the movie? Didn't help that Dan Rad has a certain Elijah Wood-ness about him. Traipsing around the forest with this evil thing around his neck. Unable to destroy the thing. It must be taken to Mt. Doom!

Ironically my friend w ho hasn't read the books who went with us, when they said it can't be destroyed he quoted "Unless you take it to the fires of mount doom. Only there will it be destroyed."

Bunny
11-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Any connection to Twilight is an immense stretch.

DMKA
11-22-2010, 10:31 PM
I also went the midnight showing (which I regretted immensely the next morning) and really enjoyed it. I, like Mandee, never read the books. I felt they spent way too much time/emotion on Dobby's death seeing as we haven't seen or heard of him since Chamber of Secrets and he really wasn't overly important in that film either.

I also felt like the movie was going a great job being grimdark and grown up for it's quickly maturing audience but then all of a sudden Dobby showed up and started going on about his friends like something out of a dubbed Pokemon episode and it totally killed the buzz I was getting off the movie for a few minutes.

Every instance of Dobby in the film just felt completely out of place but aside of that, and the incredibly ackward Harry/Hermoine dancing scene, I felt it was fantastically done.

Peegee
11-22-2010, 10:47 PM
"Twilight's good; Twilight's better actually."

Hollycat
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Its a good thing for the kid who plays Draco that he doesnt look that way in real life, or he would never get a job again because his character is so irritating. I cant believe they took out the part where Wormtail's arm kills him, or the part where Kreacher becomes a good guy. Or the part with the attic ghoul and Ron, or the part with the encrumpet's horn. hee hee, that would have been a great picture. Also they took away some of Luna's creepiness when they didn't show her room.

Miriel
11-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Every instance of Dobby in the film just felt completely out of place but aside of that, and the incredibly ackward Harry/Hermoine dancing scene, I felt it was fantastically done.

Omg, I was DYING from the awkwardness in that scene. Honestly, I could hardly stand the second hand embarrassment.

Hollycat
11-22-2010, 11:35 PM
You mean the scene where they dance? I almost left right then and there.

Peegee
11-22-2010, 11:52 PM
I didn't mind it, but I didn't see the point. The way it ended, it almost seemed like Harry would've tried for a kiss when the two of them have NEVER felt anything like that before.

Hollycat
11-22-2010, 11:54 PM
It was... awkward, to say the least

Seraphic
11-23-2010, 02:35 AM
I thought it was cute at first, but I'll agree that the way it ended alluded to some sexual tension between the two which just felt wrong.
But what really made me turn away was that horrifically awkward horcrux make out scene.

Hollycat
11-23-2010, 02:50 AM
that was awkward, and they actually did that.... poor Ms. Watson...

Miriel
11-23-2010, 08:00 AM
Oh and the animation for the Tale of the Three Brothers was absolutely gorgeous. Probably my favorite part of the whole movie.

blackmage_nuke
11-23-2010, 12:14 PM
The entire cinema started laughing at the dance scene.

Other than that and the fact that so many minsitry workers were wearing muggle clothing instead of wizard robes/hats (though to be honest i hate the wizard hats without brims in earlier movies), I felt the movie was remarkedly well done, and for all the parts i wanted to see that were emitted there were parts that were slightly changed to be remarkably well done, such as the horcrux destroying scene and the escape from privet drive.

Shoeberto
11-23-2010, 03:13 PM
Oh and the animation for the Tale of the Three Brothers was absolutely gorgeous. Probably my favorite part of the whole movie.
Agreed! I was completely enchanted during that whole scene.

Oh, and I thought the dancing scene was sweet. SO STEP OFF YA'LL.

Hollycat
11-23-2010, 04:52 PM
The three brothers thing was awesome. Also awesome was the part where SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they break through the clouds and theres like a billion death eaters.

once again: why would they take out the part where Pettigrew's ghost hand kills him....?

charliepanayi
11-23-2010, 08:07 PM
The Pettigrew stuff was probably omitted because the third film never had the bit in the book where Dumbledore tells Harry that he did a good thing in saving Pettigrew, that he's now in Harry's debt etc, so it would have come out of nowhere in this one and been a bit of a non-sequitur moment.

blackmage_nuke
11-24-2010, 02:23 AM
Also I hated Voldemort's speech patters in the fourth movie (possibly the 5th as well but i cant remember) and im glad it was changed for this movie.

McLovin'
11-24-2010, 03:17 AM
Maybe they're putting Wormtail in the next part? Don't see why they can't kill him the exact same way as he should have died but in a different setting. Something was bugging me though, Ron said that they only needed 3 more Horcruxes to go, but haven't they only destroyed 3 by that point not 4? The Diary, the locket, and the ring. ERROR!

Del Murder
11-24-2010, 03:30 AM
There are only 6 horcruxes (well 6 that Harry & co are looking for), with the 7th being Voldemort himself.

blackmage_nuke
11-24-2010, 10:04 AM
"Hi i'm bill weasley, you never met me before but i'm risking my life for you."

Well it's what Ron said, they werent risking their lives for Harry, they were risking it for the world.

*Devore*
11-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Massize spoiler! I thought the 7th was Harry.

But anyway, this is my favourite film so far, which is an easy title to get because I hated the others for missing out so much important scenes. I'm also glad because its my favourite book too.

Did any of you solely film watchers find Dobbys death sad? I cant understand how people can build some kind of connect with him, when he only appeared in the second, I think, at the most he was barely in it. While in the book, he's there from 2nd to last with sizable story. I also didnt feel that Harry was sad enough, but that could be down to poor acting.

Spiffing Cheese
11-25-2010, 04:04 AM
I liked it! I'm not a huge fan of the movies as most of them have like 6 billion moments that are so cringe-worthy I want to walk out of the cinema, but I actually really enjoyed this one.

I was more upset by Hedwig's death than Dobby's and I was sad they didn't elaborate on it more. :( The super emotionally-charged Dobby death seemed to come out of left field to me - I can't even remember the last time Dobby was IN one of the movies! It was so over the top. I get people being sad if they know the books well but it just seemed silly in the movie.

I didn't mind the dance scene, it was kind of sweet, but yeah, Harry totally looked like he was gonna kiss her and it was weird.

I got really mad at the whole OH YEAH BTW TONKS AND LUPIN ARE MARRIED moment. They utterly ignore that storyline (which played kind of a major part in the last 2 books) but then shove it in for no apparent reason? Unless they did it just so they can have Teddy in the epilogue? Ergh, I don't know. Lupin SUCKS in the movies, what a waste of an awesome character.

Scabior was HOT. I said this after it finished and everyone thought I was disturbed. :D

On a random note, was that Dave, Dave Coaches, Dave from Gavin and Stacey? :p

Chris
11-26-2010, 11:44 PM
If my memory serves me right:

Yes, Harry is the final Horcrux, which is partly why Voldemort's killing curses keep bouncing right off Harry, and finally killing Voldie the Moldie in the end when it bounces off Harry and right back at Voldemort. Only this time, there are no more Horcruxes left, thus finally killing him.

It's been a while since I've read it, so I could be imagining things. oO

blackmage_nuke
11-27-2010, 07:29 AM
Harry is the final horcrux but they do not know that yet in the movie. Thus at the moment they only think they are searching for 6 horcruxes. When Voldemort killed Harry near the end he killed the horcrux part of Harry. In the end it was because Malfoy "owned" the elder wand by disarming it from dumbledore and malfoy's wand that caused the elder wand to backfire when it was used against it's owners wand finally killing him since all the Horcruxes were destroyed.

Or so is my understanding

NorthernChaosGod
11-27-2010, 07:34 AM

Yeah! That was fucking amazing, I completely loved it.

Heath
12-11-2010, 02:00 PM

I quite agree. It was very well done.

I enjoyed the film and would go as far to say it's the best in the series. I expected to like it, as I've found the films have gotten better as they've gone along, probably with Order of the Phoenix being my previous favourite. One thing I liked was that - as in the other films - I wasn't sat there ruing bits from the books that I'd liked and had been cut out. The dance scene, which others have chalked up, was the only real low point.