PDA

View Full Version : "Press Start" WTF?!?!

VeloZer0
11-22-2010, 12:58 AM
I just have to vent. Why the heck do they need a press start screen before you can get into your video games menu? I fail to see what possible purpose this serves.

Psychotic
11-22-2010, 01:41 AM
Frankly I think it's the best thing in videogames and I've actually sold a lot of my games if they didn't have that feature. That you do not love it is one thing, that it seems to actively irk you, well...I think I've lost faith in humanity. I am sickened to my stomach.

Jessweeee♪
11-22-2010, 01:43 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about games where you can not pause. Like Phantasy Star Universe. Okay, I get that you can't just stop everybody ever when playing online, but can't I at least pause in Story Mode?!

VeloZer0
11-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Frankly I think it's the best thing in videogames and I've actually sold a lot of my games if they didn't have that feature. That you do not love it is one thing, that it seems to actively irk you, well...I think I've lost faith in humanity. I am sickened to my stomach.
I see now that there is no way we could ever co-exist. I will have to take the preemptive step of having you killed.

kotora
11-22-2010, 01:55 AM
always seemed to me like some kinda tradition that has carried over from the NES days when they only had a few pixels on the screen to show off the game logo.

Roto13
11-22-2010, 02:12 AM
"wtf" indeed.

Depression Moon
11-22-2010, 02:21 AM
You don't have to press start in all games. Some let you use the X or A button.

JKTrix
11-22-2010, 02:23 AM
I like when games say 'Press Start' but you can actually press anything to get past it. I hate when only the Start button registers, though.

Honestly, bigger issues for me are unskippable company logos that come before the start screen, and the 'Choose Your Memory Device' screen that pops up on lower-end Xbox 360 games.

Roto13
11-22-2010, 02:27 AM
Honestly, bigger issues for me are unskippable company logos that come before the start screen,

There have been games I've been in the mood to play but realized I'd have to sit through a million years of developer logos and couldn't be assed.

Jessweeee♪
11-22-2010, 03:20 AM
Ten seconds of logos are nothing compared to literally twenty minutes of unskippable previews on a DVD!

kotora
11-22-2010, 04:01 AM
Ten seconds of logos are nothing compared to literally twenty minutes of unskippable previews on a DVD!

not to mention the warnings by various shady agencies about how they're gonna kill you if you make a copy of the DVD. which you ironically only get on DVDs you actually bought.

Vyk
11-22-2010, 03:23 PM
I hate everything that can be hated :[

Bolivar
11-22-2010, 04:17 PM
always seemed to me like some kinda tradition that has carried over from the NES days when they only had a few pixels on the screen to show off the game logo.

winner, it's from a time where games would just go once you let them know, unlike today where you already get taken to a menu.

Honestly, bigger issues for me are unskippable company logos that come before the start screen,

There have been games I've been in the mood to play but realized I'd have to sit through a million years of developer logos and couldn't be assed.

Lol, really?

Really?

Roogle
11-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Maybe it is a throwback to original arcade games? Arcade games display quick demonstrations of the game to attract people to spend money on it. Appropriately, this is called its Attract Mode.

Pete for President
11-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Honestly, bigger issues for me are unskippable company logos that come before the start screen

Very very true.

ModNation Racers takes the cake in all this: having a loading screen to load the company logo's, after which you'll be taken to a 'press start screen', only to go back to another loading screen which finally loads the game. :eep:

Meat Puppet
11-22-2010, 10:23 PM
I think Roogle is right. It's kind of like the punt of a wine bottle

Carl the Llama
11-23-2010, 12:22 AM
I honestly prefer having the press start button at the start of a game, I can appreciate the art with minimal text on the screen.

VeloZer0
11-23-2010, 01:45 AM

I've never given up, but I will often look up something on my computer while the game loads and end up getting completely distracted.