PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving NOM NOM NOM

Miriel
11-22-2010, 09:22 PM
I'm headed to the grocery store soon to pick up some stuff for Thanksgiving dinner.

Planning on making:

Brussel sprouts hash with pomegranate molasses, shallots and bacon.
Sauteed wild mushrooms
Pumpkin & shrimp bisque
Pecan pie!

Boyfriend's mommy will be providing the deep fried turkey and various other thanksgiving-y side dishes.

Are you doing any cooking for Thanksgiving? What are your favorite thanksgiving dishes?

Peegee
11-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Mashed potatoes! Or stuffing. My brother just dumps boxes and boxes of stuffing in a pot to cook and we just eat stuffing as its own dish.

I dislike turkey very much though. So instead I eat a lot of smoked salmon :D

escobert
11-22-2010, 09:31 PM
I never do any cooking for thankgiving! all the men sit around drinking beer and watching football!
I love it all! EVERYTHING! Turkey (dark meat plz thx) stuffing, homemade gravy, HOME MADE ROLLS YUM! it's all soooo good. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday! :bigsmile:

Also, one goodthing about parents being split up is I get two thanksgivings every year! I just had one dinner this last saturday with my dad but moms is where the best food is at :D

boris no no
11-22-2010, 09:46 PM
I do nothing because I have nothing to be thankful for and I am English. These two facts are related.

Bunny
11-22-2010, 09:56 PM
I get to go to Kansas and eat mass amounts of stuffing/dressing. I also have to read Machiavelli for one of my classes.

Madame Adequate
11-22-2010, 09:56 PM
I do nothing because I have nothing to be thankful for and I am English. These two facts are related.

Indeed. England earned her wealth and glory, we did not beg for scraps at the dinner table of God!

Raistlin
11-22-2010, 10:36 PM
I am not cooking, because I only have to show up at my mom's. I am not particularly thankful, though, as I will have to be preparing for exams and finalizing this legal brief over break.

My favorite classic Thanksgiving item would have to be pumpkin pie. I like turkey, but it's far from my favorite meat (chicken and steak are ahead of it). My mom doesn't particularly give a crap about turkey either (my anti-tradtionalism has worn off on her a bit), so we might not even have one this year, based on what she told me a while ago.

Miss_Lulu
11-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Generally there are around 20+ people who come to my house for Thanksgiving each year. It used to be that just the women adults would cook food, but the last couple of years, they've made my sister and I help cook. This year I'm down for making:
Two different kinds of potato salad,
Chicken stuffing,
deviled eggs,
and mashed potatoes.
Other than that, there will also be:
Corn, Green beans, rolls, biscuits, two chocolate pies, two cheesecakes, a butterscotch pie, chocolate cake, and of course, two hams and a turkey.

Peegee
11-22-2010, 11:40 PM
I find it lol worthy that anybody living in a 2nd world nation (like USSR or China lol china) or up can say with a straight face that they have nothing to be thankful for.

I'm incessantly aware of how ridiculously lucky and fortunate I am, but I find it actually easier to empathize with society by acting self important and entitled to said luck and fortune.

Thanksgiving for me is a constant reminder that not only do people get things they don't deserve, but that I too, can get things I don't deserve.

Just a little bit of self-righteous ranting in a food thread.

Clo
11-22-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm driving all over WNY and Ohio. Ugh! Although on Thursday I will be at my boyfriend's mother's house, and she's a wonderful cook. I can't wait! I'm most excited for sweet potatoes.

fire_of_avalon
11-23-2010, 01:40 AM
We have mostly the same thing every year but I love most of it.

Turkey, dressing (not stuffing!), cranberry sauce, fried sweet potatoes, homemade macaroni and cheese, fresh southern style green beans, biscuits, carrot souffle (my sister has lost her mind,) pumpkin pie, pecan pie and banana pudding. I also usually go visit my aunt and steal some of her sweet potato casserole and this year she's making a pumpkin cake. What? Yes. Must have it.

rubah
11-23-2010, 02:04 AM
cannot get enough of my mom's dressing.

I think I want to try to make sweet potato chips or fries this year to accentuate the sweet potato casserole, which I might eat, since I've developed a new taste for sweet potato!

Shlup
11-23-2010, 04:21 AM
I'm making sunomono and birthday cake.

~*~Celes~*~
11-23-2010, 06:02 AM
I have to work on both my family's thanksgiving (Thanksgiving day) and my boyfriend's family's thanksgiving (black Friday) so I don't get a thanksgiving this year. :( But at least I get extra money, time and a half on Thanksgiving Day!

Breine
11-25-2010, 04:10 PM
We don't celebrate Thanksgiving :(

Laddy
11-25-2010, 04:14 PM
I'm helping my mom cook! :bigsmile:

Rye
11-25-2010, 04:32 PM
My actual family Thanksgiving is going to be crap as usual. The turkey is dry and bland and there's nothing for me to eat.

HOWEVER, the Thanksgiving feast at work yesterday was fucking delightful. They had multiple Italian sandwiches, different salads (all delicious), a whole boat of sushi, lots of fruit, and chocolate dipped strawberries! Nooommmmm!

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/ryechuuu/150855_1706324775309_1153717228_1927084_3029056_n.jpg

http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv298/ryechuuu/feastnom.jpg

Jessweeee♪
11-26-2010, 01:36 AM
We ate next door with a few neighbors and ate the usual foods; turkey, stuffing, potatoes, green beans, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie. My boyfriend and I were the only people there under the age of sixty five. It was nice, though I got a little lost when they started to try out-olding eachother and the conversation drifted to lye soap. Then I called my family and most of them had a hard time keeping the disappointment out of their voices, and my grandma said she'd die before she got to see me again :(

Shlup
11-26-2010, 03:11 AM
I made a chocolate and mint marbled cake with butter rum glaze called "The Naughty Senator." It smells yummy.

Miriel
11-26-2010, 06:47 AM
Del Murder ate like 4 slices of my pecan pie. I'm gonna go ahead and say that it was a success!

Sauteed wild mushrooms was also a hit. Surprising since it was so god damn easy to put together. Took only 15 minutes!

Necronopticous
11-26-2010, 06:50 AM
http://www.necronopticous.com/upload/thanksgiving.jpg

Shlup
11-26-2010, 06:54 AM
I'm trying to decide if it's too soon to start busting out my tupperwares full of leftovers...

Madame Adequate
11-26-2010, 02:35 PM
We uh... we had a pasta bake. xD For Queen and Country!

Shiny
11-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Ah ha! See Del, she does say nom nom nom. I knew she was a nommer.

Anywayz, I didn't cook this year, but my father, grandmother, and mother made some dishes. My mom made an amazing banana pudding. I ate three plates of it last night. I will have to get the ingredients, but she uses these shortbread cookies and crushes them up.

Crop
11-26-2010, 07:27 PM
I had pasta! *slams fist on table* God Save the Queen!

Also, we have the same phones as you do in work, Rye.

Meat Puppet
11-28-2010, 05:51 AM
I drank beer.

Shlup
11-28-2010, 07:19 AM
I just had my second Thanksgiving. I'm pretty sure I've consumed three cans of cranberry sauce so far.

Shiny
11-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Also had a second Thanksgiving tonight at my friend's house. They served some traditional Cuban dishes along with traditional Thanksgiving food like fresh cranberry sauce and roasted turkey.