PDA

View Full Version : People with Abilities

Depression Moon
11-22-2010, 09:30 PM
I came across something interesting. I went to my adviser at my college to make sure my classes were in order because when I had looked at my status online it had me under a different major.

So I sat down in her office and I was lost at words at what she did momentarily. After giving her my ID number she opened the screen for the student database. I noticed it within a second when she was moving the mouse or cursor without the use of her hands. I had looked down at her lap and her hands were rested on it. There was no extra keyboard there of anything of the such. She had a very concentrated stare on her face and she moved her head slightly when making large movements of the cursor.

I was taken away and could only keep my eyes on her face and her hands in her lap. Whenever she asked me something I did not change. I just answered and she kept her eyes on the screen. Strangely enough this woman resembles Charlie from Heroes and she shares the same last name as me. She is white, but there is a good chance that we actually might be related. She jested when I first met her that we might be related. That might sort of explain where I got my abilities from.

Comments?

Roto13
11-22-2010, 09:32 PM
ugh

boris no no
11-22-2010, 09:37 PM
I see dead people

Peegee
11-22-2010, 09:37 PM
I'm sorry but I can't respond seriously. Is this a fanfic?

G13
11-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Suddenly I'm taken back to d2jsp when some kid said he had Naruto powers. That was a really fun thread.

Depression Moon
11-22-2010, 09:56 PM

What fanfic and the answer is no. This occurred earlier in the afternoon. I am still perplexed.

Bunny
11-22-2010, 10:10 PM
When I'm really angry, I turn green and spout clichés.

Agrias
11-22-2010, 10:12 PM
I can make cookies disappear.

Peegee
11-22-2010, 10:21 PM

What fanfic and the answer is no. This occurred earlier in the afternoon. I am still perplexed.

....ooohkay

I'm going to try my best not to go crazy and ask you go to go back to the councillor and ask her if she can move the mouse pointer without using the mouse. That way it will clear up any misunderstandings, which this ought to be.

Raistlin
11-22-2010, 10:31 PM
You are either oblivious/gullible, delusional, or making it up. Your call, but I think you can see that no one is buying it here.

Mirage
11-22-2010, 10:31 PM
She probably just had a different input device than what you're used to. Like a trackball in her lap. gawd wtf, no one use those anymore, it was probably a small external touchpad.

Depression Moon
11-22-2010, 10:49 PM
You are either oblivious/gullible, delusional, or making it up. Your call, but I think you can see that no one is buying it here.

I'm not trying to buy anyone and I don't say that it's gullible. Surely all of us have encountered strange events. Why is it that some people can dream the future and some can sense death? Science has no explanation to this. I was also merely speculating.

She probably just had a different input device than what you're used to. Like a trackball in her lap. gawd wtf, no one use those anymore, it was probably a small external touchpad.

I didn't really see anything her hands. I was in too much awe at the time to ask her. I'll make the attempt to do so tomorrow if she is there.

Raistlin
11-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Surely all of us have encountered strange events.

Sure. I don't attribute them to made-up fairy tales with no evidence, though. "I don't know" is a better answer than making up whatever you want.

Why is it that some people can dream the future and some can sense death?

Simple answer: they can't.

Modern science does not currently have he explanation for everything, no. But the scientific method (critical examination combined with empirical observation and testing) is the only rational way to go about figuring out those explanations.

EDIT: I was reminded of this great article (http://briancarper.net/blog/517/ufos-or-the-joy-of-skepticism-part-one-of-two) on skepticism by EoFF's own Dr Unne/God. Regardless of what he said, though, he definitely saw Sasquatch.

Pheesh
11-22-2010, 11:07 PM
It'd be cool if she was doing it with her feet. Now THAT would be an ability.

Raistlin
11-22-2010, 11:11 PM
Apparently people have actually done that (http://www.instructables.com/id/foot-operated-computer-mouse/). I love the internet.

Hollycat
11-22-2010, 11:12 PM
When I was a kid, I used to see... lines...
I swear I am not joking, I would see thin purple, red, and white lines... smoking? off of people.
I would also see lines that were like those heat waves you see over a grill connecting people, to other people, but never more than 3 people.

It wasnt annoying, they were all see through, even more so than those shapes you see when you look away from a bright light.
Anyways, Im thinking it may have just been an eye condition or my imagination, I havent seen any lines since I had my vision fixed

Mirage
11-22-2010, 11:17 PM
Apparently people have actually done that (http://www.instructables.com/id/foot-operated-computer-mouse/). I love the internet.

However unlikely it is that the lady DM mentions has one of these, I would say it is still more likely than her having the ability to control computers with her mind.

Peegee
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Was this moved to GC or did I just miss like 4 chances to maek poast?

this one time I woek up but i couldn't move. so iwas like omg i'm getting raep by a incubus waaahw ahhh but then i realized my motor system hadn't turned on

imoasl humans and their stupid imagiantion leads to the most bizarre fantasies - but thats wat they are - fantasies liek you know ya mean?

Depression Moon
11-22-2010, 11:28 PM

Sure. I don't attribute them to made-up fairy tales with no evidence, though. "I don't know" is a better answer than making up whatever you want.

Who made up what and you say that as if you know that as a fact. There is no absolute for you to know for sure unless you were within that person. I have dreamed the future about three times in my life span. You would deny it although you have no knowledge of me, the dream, the situation, or the events that occur afterward. Saying things just because doesn't make it true.

There are more ways of thinking than one and none are superior to the other only thinking makes it so and there are people who think on both sides. Art is another example of how there is no wrong way to do it. We are all individuals free to think as we are and created ultimately equal.

Clo
11-22-2010, 11:38 PM
I have the ability to discern reality from nonsense.

Go me! :jess:

Peegee
11-22-2010, 11:43 PM

Who made up what and you say that as if you know that as a fact. There is no absolute for you to know for sure unless you were within that person. I have dreamed the future about three times in my life span. You would deny it although you have no knowledge of me, the dream, the situation, or the events that occur afterward. Saying things just because doesn't make it true.

There are more ways of thinking than one and none are superior to the other only thinking makes it so and there are people who think on both sides. Art is another example of how there is no wrong way to do it. We are all individuals free to think as we are and created ultimately equal.

In the television show Heroes, there were a couple of super heroes who had the uncanny ability to speak Japanese.

Jessweeee♪
11-23-2010, 04:02 AM
There are devices that allow people to move computer cursors with their brains. Mostly used by people who can't move them otherwise.

Shlup
11-23-2010, 04:24 AM
You really, really should not have put this thread in General Chat.

escobert
11-23-2010, 05:42 AM
I have the ablility to commit crimes on a daily basis and not be arrested :D

Raistlin
11-23-2010, 05:45 AM

Yeah, he would have been met with much more approval in EoEO. :p

Shlup
11-23-2010, 05:53 AM

Yeah, he would have been met with much more approval in EoEO. :p

Yeah but there would have been less sass.

Bunny
11-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Yeah, just multi-paragraph posts about why the OP is wrong.

Peegee
11-23-2010, 05:59 AM
I think there was a guy in heroes with the ability to eat curry. But then he went crazy and started to sweat out wasabi from his pores. His name was watashi desu iirc.

Bunny
11-23-2010, 06:06 AM
You are talking

I have a problem with it

Stop now

Clo
11-23-2010, 06:07 AM
Yeah, it's like, such a tragedy this thread wasn't taken seriously.

Peegee
11-23-2010, 06:16 AM
what are you talking about clo i am serious. op is talking about the anime 'heroes' and i'm talking about the people with abilities tehre - the japanese asian, the other japanese asian, the man with wasabi powers, the girl with no powers, and the flying rabbit called jack who takes over brasil in the 5th season.
gosh.

Raistlin
11-23-2010, 06:21 AM
Yeah, it's like, such a tragedy this thread wasn't taken seriously.

Magic powers, much like the internet, are serious business.

NeoCracker
11-23-2010, 07:39 AM
This is clearly a job for MENTOK! THE MIND TAKER! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC4jZKSU8G4)

Meat Puppet
11-23-2010, 09:03 AM
You need to contact <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjhoIZwjYUo">this gentleman</a>.

Mirage
11-23-2010, 10:10 AM
He's a perfectly sane person who has a firm grasp on reality.

blackmage_nuke
11-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Theres actually a controller that can be cotnrolled by your eyes but i cant remember the link

Mirage
11-23-2010, 12:57 PM
I think you're talking about so-called neural impulse sensors for use with home computers, which are actually not using neural impulses, but just measures movement of certain small muscles around your skull.

blackmage_nuke
11-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Thats the one

Psychotic
11-23-2010, 02:38 PM
I wanted to keep this secret, as you never know who (The government? Freemasons? THE JEW????) is reading this forum but you've made me feel safe to identify myself. Here is my ability:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/photobucketamazingness/bird.jpg

Iceglow
11-23-2010, 04:10 PM
I wanted to keep this secret, as you never know who (The government? Freemasons? THE JEW????) is reading this forum but you've made me feel safe to identify myself. Here is my ability:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e373/photobucketamazingness/bird.jpg

your ability to be a turkey is an astounding thing of beauty you should never be ashamed of your accent with that! :D

I have the ability to come out with the most inventive your mom insults on xbl when playing halo with the guys

Roto13
11-23-2010, 05:01 PM
My superpowers include finishing JRPGs really really fast and predicting which Simpsons episode will be on TV soon.

Hollycat
11-23-2010, 06:24 PM
I have seen every episode of futurama, american dad, family guy, southpark, the simpsons, and monk. does that count?

Peegee
11-23-2010, 06:43 PM
sometimes when I get pokemon I make them forget certain abilities so they can get better abilities. You haven't pikachu'd your first raichu until your pikachu unlearns thundershock for quick attack. You know what I mean?

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/d/d7/417.png

Mirage
11-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I have seen every episode of futurama, american dad, family guy, southpark, the simpsons, and monk. does that count?

Well, it is an ability.

Depression Moon
11-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Now I am always respectful to each of one you here when you express a view point or an opinion. There are times when things are in jest like when I say something like "FFIX wasn't rememberable? You have to be crazy," in response to someone who felt differently, but like I said I didn't mean it. If I did happen to cause offense, I would apologize for it, but the situation never occurred. If I am respectful to you then I only expect for you to do the same. By doing the opposite that is present here, you are only showing narrow mindedness, self-contradiction, and immaturity.

Do not ask me for explanations or evidence for those as you all are capable of doing the research if you are a member of this site and have access to your account.

Bunny
11-23-2010, 10:13 PM
"FFIX wasn't rememberable? You have to be crazy." is a far, distant cry from "I met a lady who could move things with her mind."

I'll give you the immaturity bit, but the other two aren't really prevalent in the thread. Your inability or more aptly, refusal to provide proof (citing asinine reasoning that "we're capable of doing the work ourselves") doesn't really help your argument either.

Don't rely on the kindness of strangers.

Raistlin
11-23-2010, 10:23 PM
If you open your mind too much, your brain will fall out. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBUc_kATGgg)

The veracity of your wild claims would disprove almost all of modern science, which has thousands and thousands of people devoting their lives to researching and studying and coming up with falsifiable explanations for observable phenomenon. Not only is there no evidence for the existence of such psychic abilities, but they are impossible based on everything we know about how the universe operates. A lot more than anecdotes is required to dismantle all of that knowledge and experiment-backed conclusions.

Opinions and views deserve only that respect which they merit. Your beliefs in this particular thread deserve none -- hence, all the fun everyone is having in this thread.

Pheesh
11-23-2010, 10:28 PM
If she can move :bou::bou::bou::bou: with her mind, then why is she a college advisor? Surely her talents could take her places.

Depression Moon
11-23-2010, 10:43 PM
"FFIX wasn't rememberable? You have to be crazy." is a far, distant cry from "I met a lady who could move things with her mind."

Those two aren't even related, re-read my post again as it seems that you didn't get my message.

I'll give you the immaturity bit, but the other two aren't really prevalent in the thread. Your inability or more aptly, refusal to provide proof (citing asinine reasoning that "we're capable of doing the work ourselves") doesn't really help your argument either.

What is asinine about it? Again re read my posts.

The veracity of your wild claims would disprove almost all of modern science, which has thousands and thousands of people devoting their lives to researching and studying and coming up with falsifiable explanations for observable phenomenon. Not only is there no evidence for the existence of such psychic abilities, but they are impossible based on everything we know about how the universe operates. A lot more than anecdotes is required to dismantle all of that knowledge and experiment-backed conclusions.

Opinions and views deserve only that respect which they merit. Your beliefs in this particular thread deserve none -- hence, all the fun everyone is having in this thread.

Claims? Re-read my posts. Also what was the point of stating things we both are aware of? You are wrong on the last part, as I said respect is exchanged with courtesy and it is not limited to it.

Don't rely on the kindness of strangers.
What is wrong with that? My conscience bothers me if I only expect the worse of people and not the inclusion of the best as well.

Peegee
11-23-2010, 10:46 PM
I'm a pokemon master. But don't try to make me prove evidence. Blessed art thou who believe without seeing.

Bunny
11-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Maybe you should reread your post. Or maybe rewrite it, as it obviously didn't come across as intended.

Depression Moon
11-23-2010, 11:23 PM
I reread it and I don't see a purpose for a rewrite. Also what is obvious to some is not obvious to others which is why I asked for you to reread it.

KentaRawr!
11-23-2010, 11:51 PM
There must be a logical explanation concerning why she could move the cursor in that way. You should catch her E-Mail and ask her about it and see if she has an alternate input device. You said that she was moving her head, so maybe it had something to do with that.

Peegee
11-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I reread it and I don't see a purpose for a rewrite. Also what is obvious to some is not obvious to others which I asked for you to reread it.

Sometimes a cat eats my candy but I use the force to stop her. Then we fight pikachu for the pokemon championship

Jessweeee♪
11-24-2010, 01:22 AM
Do not ask me for explanations or evidence for those as you all are capable of doing the research if you are a member of this site and have access to your account.

I did the research and I came across a device that allows you to move a cursor with your brain, usually by doing slight movements with your head as described in your original post. Perhaps she is paralyzed from the neck down and you didn't notice, or she's just using one for the hell of it :confused:

Madame Adequate
11-24-2010, 01:55 AM
Yeah we do now have man-machine interfacing sufficient to permit this. However, it's still experimental and expensive so they only put them into paraplegics.

My only inborn power was the uncanny ability to detect twinkies within my line of sight, but I was bitten by a radioactive bandicoot and now I can transform into lightly golden toast on full moons.

Depression Moon
11-24-2010, 04:08 AM
There must be a logical explanation concerning why she could move the cursor in that way. You should catch her E-Mail and ask her about it and see if she has an alternate input device. You said that she was moving her head, so maybe it had something to do with that.

I already found out what it was this morning. I didn't mention this earlier because people still wanted to argue about something I had never said and I was hoping that they would catch that.

I did the research and I came across a device that allows you to move a cursor with your brain, usually by doing slight movements with your head as described in your original post. Perhaps she is paralyzed from the neck down and you didn't notice, or she's just using one for the hell of it

What I was particularly talking about research was concerning the last line I had written before that sentence. Research about your own traits of immaturity, self-contradiction, and narrow mindedness. Also after more thinking I am also finding double standards.

Meat Puppet
11-24-2010, 08:21 AM
You're only lying to yourself.

blackmage_nuke
11-24-2010, 08:34 AM
I have The power of mint and berries, with a satisfying, tasty crunch

Shablagoo!

Loony BoB
11-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Foot-controlled mice are actually more prominent than you may believe. I work in an IT company and of the 8,000 or so users I've been ordering kit for over the past eight years (and I do all the kit ordering), I'd say around 10-15 of them have wrist controlled mice, 20 or so of them have rollerball mice (wrist/palm-controlled) and a few of them have foot-controlled mice. Admittedly, I don't know of anyone with a mouse controlled by anything but their limbs - so no head controlled mice here. :p There are however some very powerful pointer devices and wireless mice that can be used even from our bathroom... which is always amusing due to the tiny receiver they have. You put it into someone's desktop, sit some distance away, wait for them to sit down and then begin messing with them. :D

Moon: People have no solid reason to believe in mind control much like people have no solid reason to believe in the Loch Ness Monster. They aren't saying they have proof that it does not exist, but rather to say that there are far more likely explanations which you have not yet discounted. You can be no more stunned that people don't believe in mind control than a member of the KKK can be stunned that people believe a black president is OK. Basically, those that believe in the power to control a computer input device with their mind and mind alone have always been in the minority. If you thought otherwise, you are clearly mistaken.

Peegee
11-24-2010, 03:56 PM
Yeah we do now have man-machine interfacing sufficient to permit this. However, it's still experimental and expensive so they only put them into paraplegics.

My only inborn power was the uncanny ability to detect twinkies within my line of sight, but I was bitten by a radioactive bandicoot and now I can transform into lightly golden toast on full moons.

omg did you died???

Madame Adequate
11-24-2010, 04:04 PM
No, it wasn't a very big bandicoot.

Rodarian
11-25-2010, 06:10 AM
I have the ability to mimic realistic sound effects.....

complicated ones take time.....I once had the ability to mimic an aircraft from the departure gate right till take off....

And btw she might have been using a new software to track the movement of the eye onto the screen....

I believe Wii has developed something similar to it.

Jiro
11-25-2010, 01:25 PM
She's just really really really goddamn fast. I mean like jedi reflexes. She moves but you don't see her move she's just too quick. That head movement is a tick she got from a training saber back in the academy.

Peegee
11-26-2010, 03:50 PM
One time I woek up and was like 'i'm tired' but then I forced myself tow ake up because i have special pwoeers like i can absorb energy from the sun you know?

i think i can be as powerful as superman if I could only move to the tripics?

Alive-Cat
11-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Depression Moon, remember that time we teamed up to destroy the mighty warrior Monxertronic-Man and then all sorts of crazy shenanigans went down and you died I didn't die because I'm Alive-Man but then I used my Live-Powers to bring you back to life, since that day you can't remember my middle name but you can trace the date of my family heritage back to ancient times, where, despite moderate general public opinion and sustained rates, my ancestors lacked the gene in which to produce sweat, which lead to the decrease in apathy of young people over issues such as minced meat, and all that came of it basically is that we opened up a door that could never be closed. Is that what you're doing now? Opening doors? Forever?

Peegee
11-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Depression Moon, remember that time we teamed up to destroy the mighty warrior Monxertronic-Man and then all sorts of crazy shenanigans went down and you died I didn't die because I'm Alive-Man but then I used my Live-Powers to bring you back to life, since that day you can't remember my middle name but you can trace the date of my family heritage back to ancient times, where, despite moderate general public opinion and sustained rates, my ancestors lacked the gene in which to produce sweat, which lead to the decrease in apathy of young people over issues such as minced meat, and all that came of it basically is that we opened up a door that could never be closed. Is that what you're doing now? Opening doors? Forever?

Christmas
09-13-2022, 11:36 PM
Did you inform Nick Fury? :bigsmile: