PDA

View Full Version : Gran Turismo 5

Dreddz
11-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Turns out it wasn't vapourware after all. GT5 is totally in my PS3 right now. So far I'm having fun, even if it was slightly overwelming when I first started playing. No doubt this disc is overloaded with content. Also one classy game for sure. The sound of the menu's is so.....Japanese.

Anyone else bought or planning to buy the game?

Mirage
11-24-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm annoyed over the new level system. That was totally unnecessary. So, got any good money-making tips?

I never thought GT5 would be vaporware anyway.

Madame Adequate
11-24-2010, 07:44 PM
No you are lying I work at the largest Zavvi in London the flagship store in fact and a man from Sony came and told me that it was delayed until March of 2331 so you cannot have the game.

And even if you did Forza is better.

Mirage
11-24-2010, 07:46 PM
No it isn't! Forza doesn't have 30 different Honda Civics!

Dreddz
11-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Forza has better community features and more streamlined menus but GT absolutely dwarfs Forza in terms of content. And its not just down to more cars. GT5 has a fully fledged WRC and NASCAR game as well as the standard racing. Adds a lot of variety.

I do get the feeling people are going to be disappointed by GT5. The hype for this game has been staggering but to be honest its just like the previous four games in the series. People will tell you that the new weather effects change a lot but they really dont. The only significant thing GT5 has is online play but thats only because its the first GT with it. And to be honest the online is pretty bad, especially compared to Forzas. Its a shame because the AI in the single player is dreadful, same as the previous games. Even the AI at its hardest is a breeze. Winning races always comes down to who has the best car rather than who has the best skill.

Mirage
11-25-2010, 07:24 AM
I'm not dissatisfied. The game is more or less exactly as I imagined it would be, but I don't really buy into hype and stuff either.

Iceglow
11-25-2010, 07:37 AM
No you are lying I work at the largest Zavvi in London the flagship store in fact and a man from Sony came and told me that it was delayed until March of 2331 so you cannot have the game.

You know for a man who couldn't face thunderdome like a man you sure like to try and bitch about others a lot Huxley, maybe you ought to grow a pair in thunderdome some before trying to play a man's game with me.

Also, I know what happened having spent time talking it over with our Sony rep last week before I started nights. Basically they decided that public backlash over the proposed postponement to the post Christmas release would kill sales off more than them releasing no even with a new Need For Speed and with Black Ops and Brotherhood on the market, personally I pointed out that with the game being 5 years late I doubt releasing it now would hurt it's sales, considering the hype it's received every year at gaming cons. I admit GT5 from the bits I got to see from loading it on to a pod during the set up for it's release day visually it's stunning but then so is Forza, in terms of graphical sharpness, I've got to say I'm not as blown away as the hype for this game made it seem I should be, it's stunning yes though compared to Forza 3 it's not much better, certainly I feel the new need for speed looks as good perhaps it's just where the differences are now literally so small you'd need a 100" TV to just tell the slight differences between them.

Content wise, yeah sure it has over 1000 cars, Forza 3 came with in excess of 600 cars so really 400 cars difference but how much difference is that, is it merely they have every single model of car out there they could think of? Does this make much of a difference? For example would many people be able to tell the difference between a Nissan Skyline 32-R and a Nissan Skyline 33-R hell how many could tell the difference to the Nissan Skyline 34-R (hint, one is F-R two are 4x4 one of the two is more curvy than the other the remaining 2 visually look exactly the same, all of them handle pretty much the same) Aside from people who own these cars wanting to "own their own car" in the game (which is pointless really, these people really could just do what I point out about football games, go down a track day and put a few laps in for real, ok so some cars and they're always the more fun ones in GT games require uptuning but it's not like this is impossible irl too, hell my brother done it to several cars he's owned, then again he also used to do Rally Driving) there's not much point to this to be fair. Forza 4 will likely have in excess of 1000 cars too at launch, frankly the obsession Polyphony Digital had with the number of cars at launch merely served to push the game back in terms of release date 5 long years. A lot of GT series fan's have long since given up on the series, If GT5 had been released with 600 - 700 cars much like it's predecessor (full predecessor not prologue, we're talking GT4) but gained some DLC along the way putting in the new cars on time then well maybe it could have lived up to the hype.

Pheesh
11-25-2010, 08:01 AM
Whether people want to let hype ruin a gaming experience or not is their own business and fault. By the looks of it, Polyphony have made the best driving simulator out there and the people who love tuning and tweaking cars they'll never own will obviously love it. The comments I've read under every review for this game so far have been insanely pathetic, just because these people play video games doesn't mean they have to act like fucking children.

Dreddz
11-25-2010, 10:30 AM
frankly the obsession Polyphony Digital had with the number of cars at launch merely served to push the game back in terms of release date 5 long years.
I'm sure Polphony wanted even longer to finish the game seeing as the games content is uneven. You have 200 Premium cars which look insanely good and around 800 standard cars which just look ok. I don't think Polyphony managed their resources particulary well to be honest. They should have notched down the quality of the premium cars so they could have spent more time with the standard cars. The difference is very noticeable as it stands.

Also one thing that baffles me is the damage modelling. It simply isn't there from what I have seen yet we have seen videos of it on the internet for a while. People are saying that it arrives when you hit level 20 but that just seems ridiculous.

Mirage
11-25-2010, 10:36 AM
It arrives when they make an update that fixes it

Iceglow
11-25-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm sure Polphony wanted even longer to finish the game seeing as the games content is uneven. You have 200 Premium cars which look insanely good and around 800 standard cars which just look ok. ... They should have notched down the quality of the premium cars so they could have spent more time with the standard cars. The difference is very noticeable as it stands.

I cut a sentence out due to it being personal opinion. But this quote as it stands above is interesting to me, I hadn't been aware that there was the divide in terms of graphical quality with the cars. The fact that there was only 200 or so "premium cars" as you call them to over 800 cars in lower quality graphics is something noticeably wrong with the game. It clearly shows Polyphony was over ambitious these last 5 years in how many cars they should have focused getting in to the game for launch. This is especially clear when we compare them to games such as Forza (the most inevitable comparison ofcourse though equally we could use Need For Speed here too) what had all of the cars in the same high quality graphics and has since had dlc packs containing yet more cars in the same graphical level. I think your personal comment that Polyphony haven't managed their time well with this is completely accurate.

Roto13
11-25-2010, 03:13 PM

<3

And it's still going.

Madame Adequate
11-25-2010, 09:22 PM

You know for a man who couldn't face thunderdome like a man you sure like to try and bitch about others a lot Huxley, maybe you ought to grow a pair in thunderdome some before trying to play a man's game with me.

I don't play chess with five year olds either, Steve. The only thing it demonstrates is that I don't feel the need to waste my time crushing those who are massively inferior to me.

That said, because you are patently a sucker for punishment and are absolutely begging for this due to your being an utter gobshiet on this and various other topics:

Halo Reach
Iceglow - Games played 199. K/D = 0.89. K/D higher than 1 in no playlists. (Highest is 0.98)
Mister Adequate - Games played 203. K/D = 1.36. K/D less than 1 in one playlist. (0.977)

Your best is 0.003 better than my worst.

Sorry to have derailed your thread, GT5 fans. I've not got a PS3 but I do hope you enjoy the game and whilst it's not the sort of racer I generally enjoy, I'll admit that if they made a WipeOut with Gran Turismo levels of customization and tweaking and general depth, I doubt I'd ever play anything else.

Iceglow
11-26-2010, 10:10 AM

I don't play chess with five year olds either, Steve. The only thing it demonstrates is that I don't feel the need to waste my time crushing those who are massively inferior to me.

That said, because you are patently a sucker for punishment and are absolutely begging for this due to your being an utter gobshiet on this and various other topics:

Halo Reach
Iceglow - Games played 199. K/D = 0.89. K/D higher than 1 in no playlists. (Highest is 0.98)
Mister Adequate - Games played 203. K/D = 1.36. K/D less than 1 in one playlist. (0.977)

Your best is 0.003 better than my worst.

Sorry to have derailed your thread, GT5 fans. I've not got a PS3 but I do hope you enjoy the game and whilst it's not the sort of racer I generally enjoy, I'll admit that if they made a WipeOut with Gran Turismo levels of customization and tweaking and general depth, I doubt I'd ever play anything else.

Oh no, it's mister high and mighty MILF with his k/d ratios on a game what is nothing to do with this thread, who has to be all serious business and win on halo games rather than dick around and have fun, yesterday I had great fun using nothing but a turret to slaughter an entire enemy team (4v4 streak of 6 carrying the turret, 11 kills total using it, picked up a triple kill doing so) and then sending each and everyone of the enemy team a msg quoting the character Vulkan Raven from Metal Gear Solid for FUN, you on the other hand tend to sit there playing halo on your own or when you do join us you don't often join in being a dick or having fun you just go off to win, hell I'm not going to be surprised if when the MLG playlist comes up you are seen continuously creaming your pants whilst wiping your sweaty palms down your legs, wet with anticipation and joy. My K/D could be 0.002 so long as I have fun I couldn't honestly give a crap, I mean I can play swat games and go +K/D in 9 in 10 games by buckling down, focusing and getting the job done as it's meant to be done and before you start to open that mouth or move those fingers gleefully to the keyboard to type up a response of "sure yeah with Paul watching your back" lets point out a few games I had the other day at around 7am (server times are american, I know this for sure because at 1am I was working) this is after being on a night shift, this is like the equivalent of playing halo at 19:00 having woken up at 03:00 and worked solidly from 09:00 til 18:00 with an hours travel either side:

Here (http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=333665467&player=Iceglow)
Here (http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=333597680&player=Iceglow)
And Here (http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/GameStats.aspx?gameid=333604238&player=Iceglow)

But like I said, K/D means nothing to me, sorry but it's a game I play it to have fun it's not serious business. You sound like an arrogant ass to be very blunt in the above quote so aside from an obsession with K/D and sounding like an arrogant ass what was your point with the initiall post and the subsequent derailment of this thread what I had purposefully left alone? Yes I had heard from a Sony Representative that GT5 was pushed back again, yes Sony didn't follow through pushing it back, I'm not surprised they didn't. No I do not think GT5 quite lives up to the hype they generated to keep people interested for 5 years of set backs and delays, I don't think any game could live up to that period. You've picked a dick waving contest here with no provocation or reason to have picked one other than you're upset about something clearly, or maybe you think picking a brawl in a public thread with me for no real reason will restore your "credibility" after you point blank wussed outta facing me in the thunderdome. News flash, it hasn't, it won't and nothing you ever do will. You don't play chess with 5 year olds, no you don't because you're too scared the 5 year old will win and make you look like a loser. You claim you're massively superior to me but your arrogance here proves how blind you are to your failings. How long did it take you to think up how to get me back? How long did it take you to think up a reply the last time we went at it in the Halo thread what lead to the thunderdome in the first place? I'm done with you mate, I'm now actually going to talk on topic here :P

I actually enjoy racing games and up until GT4 loved the Gran Turismo series in particular though have since developed a liking for Forza too having tried Forza 3 whilst working pretty extensively over the course of lunch breaks ect. I probably would still count GT5 as going on the hot list of games I would definitely buy if I got a ps3 but I'm now more than a little put off by the game not because I'm fed up of racing games, they're hell of a lot of good fun just I am put off by the fact that it's been 5 years since they said it'd be out. The hype reached overkill by the 3rd year and frankly whilst I rarely agree with Dreddz, the features I've seen (managed to compare a premium and normal car today for myself at the end of the shift I worked) I'm going to have to agree with him about the cars, the standard doesn't even come close to the premium and frankly as I stated before I'd have been much happier with 400 cars at the same level as the Premium cars than 1000+ at 2 levels of graphics. Also and this is something I'm going to need to test better but I think the latency between pad input and action in game is nowhere near as sharp as the latency and sensitivity of Need For Speed. Still Gran Turismo is Gran Turismo and it is a fun game. I've not tried the online or community features of Forza out but I will say theres very little difference apart from the "rewind" function on Forza in terms of gameplay. GT5 is so far ahead only on content alone, though I don't think the mere fact it has over 1000 cars makes it any better, sure theres more diversity but that don't mean it's more replay options.

Dreddz
11-26-2010, 01:24 PM
I think people, including myself, have been too hard on the game. Its clear Polyphony's goal was to create the most realistic racing sim and they have done that. Its just the stuff surrouding that stuff, ie the stuff that makes a good game, is lacking. But at the end of the day, clumsy menu's aren't going to deter GT fans and I doubt they are going to be too disappointed.

Its also worth mentioning just how good the NACAR, WRC and go-karting is. NASCAR is surprisingly fun and has more strategy than I originally thought. And go-karting can be very intense, especially online when you aren't going against useless AI. Now that the online is functioning better I was having alot of fun last night. When your up against good competition GT5 really shines.

I'll admit that if they made a WipeOut with Gran Turismo levels of customization and tweaking and general depth, I doubt I'd ever play anything else.
That would probably be my dream game. I played Wipeout HD religously even though it was still a bare bones arcade racer.

Mirage
11-26-2010, 01:45 PM
GT5: Future Racers DLC.

Also, where are the god damned pickup trucks? I need one.

Pete for President
11-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Played it at my friends' house yesterday and liked it a lot, though part of it may have been the extremely sophisticated steering wheel which added up to the experience. And oh yeah, drunk driving is fun in this game!

Mo-Nercy
11-27-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm currently more excited about getting my hands on Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, as that's more the kind of racer I'm into. When it comes to simulation, I prefer games that simulate a specific class of racing like F1 2010 or Dirt 2.

But seeing as I'm about to get handed down a steering wheel controller from a friend, I think I might as well buy GT5. The last GT I bought was 3, so I expect to be impressed. I haven't really followed it through development so these NASCAR, WRC and karting simulation modes are news to me. It sounds great!

Bolivar
11-28-2010, 09:57 PM
I can totally understand how the reviewers are calling it a disappointment, and quite frankly I only see it getting worse b/c not everyone's review is up.

After 5 years of effort, you kind of expect the second coming. So, first, you realize Jesus Christ isn't inside the car with you in interior view. You say 'alright, that's understandable, can't really expect Christ to be riding shotgun in this game...' But then you realize that most cars don't even have interior views at all. Then you realize that the damage is nowhere near anything resembling "realistic." And then you notice how little upgraded from GT4/GT on PSP the Standard cars are and a lot of the environments don't look that great, even cartooney at 60 frames per second.

Then you hit the windshield wipers and realize the game isn't running at 60 frames per second.

But somewhere along the line, of unlocking new cars to participate in different racing challenges, you have the game paused and it does indeed look beautiful. The truth is, this game isn't "the last racing game you'll ever have to buy" but it probably is hands down the best sim ever made. For me, playing GT4 on the PS2 and GT on the PSP wasn't enough, I needed that HD version and they've clearly delivered. The game does seem like it could have been released a year earlier at the least, but when you factor in the diversity of content, it becomes clear why this game took 5 years to make.

I'm level 11 and I've just barely begun to scratch the surface of things like Kart Racing, NASCAR, and AMG Mercedes driving school. I can't wait to check out the Top Gear challenges and see what Rally Racing and "Gran Turismo" special events are like. I watched an episode on Gran Turismo TV about this car show at Pebble Beach where Polyphony Digital selected a car to be in the game. Plus I have this insane new wallpaper that i took in photo mode of a car that I actually got in the game.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs485.ash2/75872_710776076986_10512411_38918781_5271849_n.jpg

Anyway, between this game and Black Ops I feel like I have enough to play for the rest of this generation :)

Even the AI at its hardest is a breeze. Winning races always comes down to who has the best car rather than who has the best skill.

I've found the default physics to be pretty easy and not too "sim"-ey to put off any casual players, but I think the real challenge comes in when you play with Professional settings. They had it on the Time Trial Demo a few months ago and it's pretty intense, but highly satisfying.

DMKA
12-02-2010, 08:16 PM
After five years of development there's just no way anyone's expectations would be met.

It looks great to me, but what do I know? I don't play racing games that aren't like Mario Kart and Crash Team Racing.