PDA

View Full Version : For all Final Fantasy and Twilight Saga fans...

SuperMillionaire
11-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Check this out: I just found out that Cloud Strife's Japanese voice actor, Takahiro Sakurai, is also the voice of Edward Cullen in the Japanese dubs of the Twilight Saga films!

Sakurai Takahiro Sparkles in Twilight Japanese Dub | magnetic-rose.net: Japanese Pop Culture for Filipino Fans (http://magnetic-rose.net/2009/12/sakurai-takahiro-sparkles-in-twilight-japanese-dub/)

Deus Ex Escathon: Takahiro Sakurai voices Edward Cullen (http://deusexescathon.blogspot.com/2009/12/takahiro-sakurai-voices-edward-cullen.html)

This sparked my curiosity for finding Final Fantasy/Twilight Saga mashup trailers on YouTube, and I found that Edward is almost always played by Cloud. So I thought of a fun idea: what if I could pair Twilight Saga characters vith various Final Fantasy counterparts? I haven't come up with counterparts for all Twilight Saga characters yet, but here's what I've got so far:

Edward Cullen - Cloud Strife (VII)
Bella Swan - Claire "Lightning" Farron (XIII)
Jacob Black - Squall Leonhart (VIII)
Alice Cullen - Tifa Lockhart (VII)
Emmett Cullen - Snow Villiers (XIII)
Rosalie Hale - either Yuna (X) or Selphie Tilmitt (VIII) (I don't know which one to pick)
Jasper Hale - either Tidus (X) or Zell Dincht (VIII) (same problem with Rosalie)
Carlisle Cullen - Vincent Valentine (VII)
Esme Cullen - Lucrecia Crescent (VII)
James - Sephiroth (VII)
Victoria - Ultimecia (VIII)

If you've got any counterpart-pairings in mind, including for characters who I haven't mentioned above, feel free to post them here. In particular, I found Tifa and Alice to be very similar due to both having high-pitched voices, short heights, dark hair (although their hair lengths differ drastically), and very gentle and kind personalities. Of course, the counterpart-pairings above are only my opinions, so feel free to express your opinions too.

Note: This topic is ONLY for those who are fans of both Final Fantasy AND the Twilight Saga; if you don't like the Twilight Saga, DO NOT POST HERE. Thank you very much for your courtesy.

Roto13
11-25-2010, 09:27 PM
This makes me laugh.

Hard.

Mirage
11-25-2010, 09:42 PM
How insanely interesting.

MJN SEIFER
11-25-2010, 09:59 PM
I find it anoying how people insist on hating Twilight BEFORE they see it. Is "Hype" that important to you?

I haven't seen it yet myself, so I can't respond to the OP.

Vyk
11-25-2010, 10:58 PM
FYI: Half the people who hate Twilight, do so with valid reason. Not just because its trendy. The last Twilight thread I recall someone posted a blog where the author dissected the series, its movie counter-parts, and its fans that don't seem to register the abusive relationship red-flags throughout the stories

Not that I really care one way or the other anymore, because most fans I've known have woken up on their own. But you seem like you feel that Twilight hate is just trolling or something. Its not really

This makes me curious though, about how well Twilight was received in Japan and what kind of response they may have given to this. Probably nothing, but I'm slightly reminded of the American response to Lance Bass voice acting in Kingdom Hearts. But that's probably due to my own loathing. Knowing Japan they were either enamored, or didn't care one way or the other

MJN SEIFER
11-27-2010, 03:53 AM
Well, I'll have to reserve judgement until I see it for myself.

What I DO hate about it though, is how no one seems to be allowed to include vampires in anything anymore, without all the Twilight haters jumping all over them - did we all just forget that vampires were in stories BEFORE Twilight?! The way the haters carry on, it's like Twilight invented the concept of vampires.

I don't really care about vampires that much, but I reserve the right to use them if I choose to.

Vyk
11-27-2010, 05:36 AM
Twilight didn't invent the usage of vampires in fiction; but Twilight's popularity spawned the idea that vampires in fiction is very trendy. Which is now true. True Blood and Vampire Diaries probably never would have launched without the popularity of the Twilight saga. And because those three were all released so close together, people who weren't "trendy in love" with vampires got sick of them really quickly. The market got flooded with vampire material. And by most people's standard it wasn't even good vampire material. If someone can create good vampire fiction that doesn't break the boundaries of the mythos and doesn't look like it was done just because "vampires are cool" then I doubt there will be many people crying foul. But then there will always be the "YouTube commenter" type of people who get stuck on their own trends of criticizing everything they possibly can just to look smug, cool, or to troll. But those people don't matter anyway :)

blackmage_nuke
11-27-2010, 07:02 AM
What I hate about twilight is I really like the word twilight to refer to dusk and now I cant use the word without having to clarify my meaning. Many times ive said "I like twilight" and had to follow up with "not the book...or the movie"

On topic:
I havent seen the series but what i gather from what i can gather from parodies if Edward is Cloud then Zack is Jacob and Aeris is Bella.

Squall - Seifer - Riona isnt too much of a stretch either.

Seraphic
11-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Twilight indifference aside, Rosalie should be Lulu for sure.
Just sayin'.

SuperMillionaire
11-28-2010, 01:32 AM
What I hate about twilight is I really like the word twilight to refer to dusk and now I cant use the word without having to clarify my meaning. Many times ive said "I like twilight" and had to follow up with "not the book...or the movie"

On topic:
I havent seen the series but what i gather from what i can gather from parodies if Edward is Cloud then Zack is Jacob and Aeris is Bella.
Squall - Seifer - Riona isnt too much of a stretch either.

Bella is either Aerith or Tifa when drawing characters solely from Final Fantasy VII.

Also, what do you make of Takahiro Sakurai voicing Edward?

Jessweeee♪
11-29-2010, 06:50 AM
A lot of Twilight haters are people like me who enjoyed the series when they were fourteen and then grew out of it. (Also it's just one of those things that are fun to hate. Like new Final Fantasy releases?)

SuperMillionaire
11-29-2010, 03:28 PM
A lot of Twilight haters are people like me who enjoyed the series when they were fourteen and then grew out of it. (Also it's just one of those things that are fun to hate. Like new Final Fantasy releases?)

Of course, you may then grow back into it later...

And a lot of people who like "big, bad, and edgy" things apparently don't like "cute" things. I, however, happen to be a fan of both, which makes me an oddball.

Roto13
11-29-2010, 07:38 PM
Twilight is not something you grow into.

SuperMillionaire
12-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Twilight is not something you grow into.

What exactly do you mean by that?

Vyk
12-02-2010, 04:17 PM
Twilight love is either going to be a phase or an eternal thing. So if you grow out of it, you've left the phase. Not many people go back to phases once they've gotten over them

Bunny
12-02-2010, 07:44 PM
I am a closet Twihard.

DMKA
12-02-2010, 08:11 PM
I am a closet Twihard.

My Dear Bunny, I am disappoint.

blackmage_nuke
12-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Twilight love is either going to be a phase or an eternal thing. So if you grow out of it, you've left the phase. Not many people go back to phases once they've gotten over them

Thats what people in highschool thought about pokemon until college

SuperMillionaire
12-02-2010, 11:05 PM
You might get back into it later, though...

Jessweeee♪
12-02-2010, 11:25 PM

Thats what people in highschool thought about pokemon until college

Most of them never go back to the anime, and those that do never really grew out of it, they just pretended to!

Roto13
12-03-2010, 04:55 AM
Pokemon is legitimately awesome, though.

SuperMillionaire
12-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I never played the trading card game, but I liked the shows, and the movies, too.

Back to the main topic: What do you make of Takahiro Sakurai voicing Edward in the Japanese Twilight Saga dubs?

G13
12-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I am a closet Twihard.

*cough*Kristin Stewart*cough*

Elskidor
12-04-2010, 07:33 PM
I find it anoying how people insist on hating Twilight BEFORE they see it. Is "Hype" that important to you?

I haven't seen it yet myself, so I can't respond to the OP.

Saw the first one and thought it was a decent vamp flick, but the continued hype annoys me to no end. It's hard to walk into a store or turn on the tv without seeing something Twilight related and that makes me sick. My wife and I watch each movie as it's released, but I do think the amount of Twilight crap that's crammed down your throat year round can hurt just as much as it can help the franchise. Too much hype is a bad thing, and I don't think it deserves anything more than a slight nod and cheer around the release date of each movie. I'm not a big vampire fan, but I liked Angel, Vampire D and Interview with the Vampire a hell of a lot more than the vamps in love movies.

SuperMillionaire
12-06-2010, 02:28 PM
I am a closet Twihard.

*cough*Kristin Stewart*cough*
I like K-Stew too, but I think Ashley Greene is the hottest female vampire there.

Ouch!
12-08-2010, 01:59 AM
I feel very sorry for anyone who gets back into Twilight. For evidence as to why Twilight is trash, look no further than Reasoning With Vampires (http://reasoningwithvampires.tumblr.com/). Volumes of proof as to why Twilight is a poorly written smudge on the literary world.

If people like Twilight when they're fourteen years old and it gets them into reading better things, then great. But if they can't at some point take the objective step back and recognize trash as trash, then I don't have much I can say of them.

SuperMillionaire
12-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I feel very sorry for anyone who gets back into Twilight. For evidence as to why Twilight is trash, look no further than Reasoning With Vampires (http://reasoningwithvampires.tumblr.com/). Volumes of proof as to why Twilight is a poorly written smudge on the literary world.

If people like Twilight when they're fourteen years old and it gets them into reading better things, then great. But if they can't at some point take the objective step back and recognize trash as trash, then I don't have much I can say of them.

Sir, I said no haters in this thread!

Roto13
12-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Good thing you're a moderator.

Vyk
12-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Eh, though I loathe Twilight myself, it is possible to pose a negative opinion without bashing, trolling, inciting an argument, etc. That's pretty much all he's asking. I posted negatively on the topic, but it was more constructive than insulting the mentality of fans (which, don't get me wrong, I'd love to, but its still not appropriate :P) There's always room for mature, well-reasoned intercourse

Roto13
12-08-2010, 11:24 PM
Tee hee. "Intercourse."

Ouch!
12-10-2010, 03:05 AM
Sir, I said no haters in this thread!
I chose to ignore that statement. Feel free to add me to your ignore list if you can't handle adverse opinions.

Meyers' prose is objectively atrocious. The poorly composed narrative is distracting without any literary value. I don't require that a work be written in immaculate grammar, but I do ask that if an author wishes to be creative that the creativity serve a greater purpose for the narrative. Meyers has no such excuse. It's just bad writing. There are better romances and better vampire stories (and, no doubt, better vampire romances) out there than Twilight. I feel bad for the people who are so hard over Twilight that they never discover that.

SuperMillionaire
12-10-2010, 06:32 PM
The only issue I have with Twilight is that female vampires can't have babies.

Ouch!
12-11-2010, 03:16 AM
You're concerned that undead monstrosities aren't capable of giving birth? I'm bothered that somehow something which is neither quite living nor dead somehow has viable sperm.

SuperMillionaire
12-12-2010, 09:14 PM
I do have my own criticisms of the Twilight Saga, but I'm still a fan.

Man-oh-man, you and I are polar opposites...

Ouch!
12-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the compliment.

rubah
12-12-2010, 11:02 PM
Great, first post of this thread and I had lightning's real name spoiled for me? Thanks, jerk.

Also, your character choices from the other games don't even make sense. Alice is supposed to be a psychic who is in love with Jasper-- why not make *her* Ellone and Jasper like Doc Odine or something?

Rosalie is a mothering bitch, so she'd be like Queen Brahne, and Emmett would be someone hulky but not too stupid-- Raijin maybe?

Anyways, MJN Seifer, I would've said your post about not judging twilight before seeing it was pretty dumb, except the fact that the movies actually made the story much less painful.

Twilight is on the level of Dan Brown or John Grisham. Hack writing that serves only to tell some plot, and :bou::bou::bou::bou:s all over the language to do it.

Now, if we wanted to debate the importance of plot to writing or storytelling, that would be an interesting discussion. We of this forum have already done so many times with video games. Anyways, if such a discussion arises, I would posit that the authors I named, and their ilk, depend on the equivalence of HFCS to get their addicted bees to the flower, while literature will depend on clever spices, contrastive flavors, and lots of care in the process.

Pheesh
12-13-2010, 02:57 AM
Dan Brown makes a mean turd sandwich, though.

SuperMillionaire
12-14-2010, 05:02 PM
Great, first post of this thread and I had lightning's real name spoiled for me? Thanks, jerk.

Also, your character choices from the other games don't even make sense. Alice is supposed to be a psychic who is in love with Jasper-- why not make *her* Ellone and Jasper like Doc Odine or something?

Rosalie is a mothering b****, so she'd be like Queen Brahne, and Emmett would be someone hulky but not too stupid-- Raijin maybe?

Anyways, MJN Seifer, I would've said your post about not judging twilight before seeing it was pretty dumb, except the fact that the movies actually made the story much less painful.

Twilight is on the level of Dan Brown or John Grisham. Hack writing that serves only to tell some plot, and :bou::bou::bou::bou:s all over the language to do it.

Now, if we wanted to debate the importance of plot to writing or storytelling, that would be an interesting discussion. We of this forum have already done so many times with video games. Anyways, if such a discussion arises, I would posit that the authors I named, and their ilk, depend on the equivalence of HFCS to get their addicted bees to the flower, while literature will depend on clever spices, contrastive flavors, and lots of care in the process.

What games are Ellone and Doc Odine from?

Jessweeee♪
12-18-2010, 08:23 PM
Ellone and Odine are FFVIII characters.

Shiny
12-18-2010, 09:12 PM
You know many people say Stephen King and J.K. Rowling are bad writers when in truth they probably aren't. What makes a writer good? Obviously they have a knack for good writing even though that don't include fanciful words. They make interesting and unique stories that engage the readers. That's really the only thing to me that defines a good author other than completely changing someone's way of life for the better and causing them to reflect on life itself -- which only really good writers were able to do. Can you ask yourself something...has Meyer managed to do that? No. The only thing that engages the readers who are mostly women that have lacking love lives, if none at all, is the shallowness of the characters and the sexuality involved.

With that said, Emmet Cullen would be Wakka because of the whole brute masculinity and strength thing.

SuperMillionaire
12-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Hey, I said no haters here!

Roto13
12-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Go to a Twilight forum, then. Most people here are too well read for this stuff. Also stop posting only to bump your own threads.

SuperMillionaire
12-30-2010, 02:38 PM
You know, I just don't get it; why do you guys only like such "big, bad, and edgy" things?