PDA

View Full Version : Why did Yuna have an "Americanese" accent?

MJN SEIFER
11-27-2010, 03:57 AM
The game isn't set in Japan, it's not even on our planet, but Yuna's American voice actress is clearlytrying to do a stereotypical Japanese accent, which sounds so bad because of the American accent. "Ahm Sohry Ahm Soh Sorhy!"

Jessweeee♪
11-27-2010, 06:07 AM
It sounded to me like she was leaning towards British if anything un-American at all. If that is what the voice actress was going for, I think it would be because Yuna is pretty Japanese, even if Japan doesn't exist in her little fictional universe. But uh... she sounded pretty American to me.

Vyk
11-27-2010, 06:27 AM
I'm more curious about why her voice was so whisper'y. I realize the character is supposed to be perceived as meek, but the mousey voice sounds pretty forced, whatever accent she's going for

Mirage
11-27-2010, 05:45 PM
Didn't sound american-japanese at all to me. You must be hearing things!

Rianoa
11-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Thats how the voice actor actually speaks

Roogle
11-29-2010, 10:26 PM
One of the reasons that the dialogue sounds stilted or forced at some points is because the voice actors of the game had no control over the lines in the script, and they are forced to fit a certain time length because the localization process does not change the dynamics of a scene. Yuna, in particular, was prone to saying things like "はい" in Japanese forcing the English voice actor to quickly say "yes" without any pause or additional dialogue. Also, keep in mind that all of the voice actors that recorded dialogue typically recorded their lines alone without the interaction of other voice actors working on the game. It is difficult to develop a worldly accent without interacting with other inhabitants of the world.

Shiny
12-03-2010, 06:02 PM
She clearynot. Godpeople can't you even. Nah, just playing. I see what you're saying. I think they were going for a more demure tone of voice that Japanese women tend to have because Yuna herself was a symbol of innocence and purity.

Dr.M
01-16-2011, 05:39 AM
One of the reasons that the dialogue sounds stilted or forced at some points is because the voice actors of the game had no control over the lines in the script, and they are forced to fit a certain time length because the localization process does not change the dynamics of a scene. Yuna, in particular, was prone to saying things like "はい" in Japanese forcing the English voice actor to quickly say "yes" without any pause or additional dialogue. Also, keep in mind that all of the voice actors that recorded dialogue typically recorded their lines alone without the interaction of other voice actors working on the game. It is difficult to develop a worldly accent without interacting with other inhabitants of the world.

thats a good point. i have notice that they do speak rather fast sometimes. like when tidus says "a city dead for a thousand years". but another reason they could try and have a combined accent is to appeal to the gamer playing

Remon
01-16-2011, 11:05 AM
She IS wearing a kimono. Her eyes ARE a bit asian.
But yeah I never noticed anything about their accents :\

Brunettepudding
01-16-2011, 04:25 PM
She seriously just talks like that. I wondered the same thing before, and looked it up.

Dr.M
01-17-2011, 05:55 AM
and then again its hard to know what a spira accent sounds like since its a fictional place :P

Hot Shot
01-19-2011, 06:32 PM
There was a bonus DVD which came with it and it had interviews with Yuna's and Tidus' English voice actors. They both sound pretty much like their characters. She only made her voice sound a bit timid and reserved to match Yuna's character. I personally didn't think that she sound anything like an 'Americanese' as you put it.

MJN SEIFER
01-19-2011, 09:17 PM
This kind of like when someone in a TV show (English one) got slated online for playing a gay character with a stereotypical "camp" accent - when in actual fact this was actually how his voice sounded in real life.

I had no idea that Yuna's actress had this voice - it must have just come across as "Americanese" to me. Thanks for explaining it everyone.