PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Cross

escobert
11-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Well I just dug out my old PSone since my PC craped out. and the only games I seem to have besides cool boarders and Tony Hawk are Final Fantasy Origins and Chrono Cross. So I'm thinking I'm going to get going on CC since I never really played it before. I'm not a HUGE RPG fan I mainly only really liked FFVII and a few random other RPGs. So, Should I put my time and effort into playing this game?

Roogle
11-30-2010, 08:42 PM
Chrono Cross has a unique cast of characters and takes place in the same world as Chrono Trigger.

If you liked Chrono Trigger, then you may enjoy playing this game. If you did not like Chrono Trigger, then you probably will not enjoy playing this game unless its quirky gameplay mechanics appeal to you.

The truth is that Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross play very differently. You can't necessarily base your enjoyment of one off of the other, but it certainly helps you if you are a fan of its predecessor. Why don't you try playing through a part of it and seeing if it works for you?

Vermachtnis
11-30-2010, 08:48 PM
I vote play it. I personally like it, the music was awesome. It had a huge cast. An interesting battle and level system. And among the giant cast is a giant pink poofy dog, an animated voodoo doll, a "fun guy," a baby dragon, and whatever the hell Pip is.

escobert
11-30-2010, 08:58 PM
I never really played Trigger very much so I can't use that as to if I want to play or not. I did play Cross for around 30 hours way back when it came out and I believe I enjoyed it. I'm going to give ti a shot tonight. Thanks guys.

Del Murder
11-30-2010, 09:35 PM
What Roogle said.

Roto13
11-30-2010, 10:39 PM
I was like "This should be in the Chrono Trigger/Cross forum" but then I looked and it WASN'T THERE. Where did it go? This is terrible.

Clo
12-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross are so different I can hardly connect the two.

Personally, I really didn't care for Chrono Cross outside of aesthetics (because it was a very, very pretty game, both visually and musically). I really didn't enjoy the battle system. It's been a while since I've played it so I can hardly remember what it was exactly -- I remember the magic system being annoying, and then your field changed element, and all that.

Also, the storyline makes little to no sense.

Necronopticous
12-01-2010, 06:54 AM
If you liked Chrono Trigger [...]
Is there an alternative?

Wolf Kanno
12-01-2010, 08:56 AM
I liked Cross, though not to the same fervor as other members of the forum. I liked Chrono Trigger better but Cross did answer a few nagging questions left from CT (at the same time, it created a massive amount of new questions concerning CT) and I liked the story and world as a whole. Though, you should be warned that some of the team had worked on Xenogears before this, so CC is definetly more heavy handed in terms of philosophy and idealism. CT is kind of "kid friendly" while CC is definitely appreciated by an older crowd. At the same time it also takes some of Xenogears bad habits such as being overly convulated and preachy at times but I personally never had much problems with it in this case.

I'm with Clo about not caring for the battle system, it was sort of a weird mixture of Xenogears Combo attacks, VII's materia, and CT's skills and Dual/Triple techs. It sounds great on paper but didn't work as well as I would have liked. Though the Elemental Field Effect was pretty nifty. Also the final boss fight was really interesting since it involved more of a puzzle than a straight up fight. Oddly enough it makes the final boss harder as you go through more New Game+.

The game also has a mostly superfluous cast. There are over 40+ characters to recruit but only 10 of them are actually important to the story and even then I feel only a handful of them are actually well developed. The rest are just gimmicky characters who join you just for the lulz. Not to mention if you want to actually acquire the whole cast it takes three playthroughs.

The endings are also not as funny or interesting as the ones from CT but I blame a lot of that on the less focused cast of characters. Still this is all irrelevant if you never played CT and even then its still opinion.

I still feel you should play Cross, it was one of Squares better games in the PS1 era and though it wasn't the game some Chrono fans wanted, I feel in the end, it went in the proper direction by taking a completely radical turn from its predecessor.

Biukin
12-01-2010, 10:38 AM
I Love Chrono Cross The Only Problem I have With It is How Easy It Is To Beat

Elskidor
12-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Great little game for sure, and won't hurt to give it a try. Worst thing that can happen is you hate it so much you turn it off and play something else.

Vyk
12-01-2010, 03:24 PM
One of the many games I acquired for my PSP to catch up on a back-log of missed greats. And I've yet to check it out myself. Someday though

VeloZer0
12-02-2010, 12:47 AM
Though not great when viewed in the context as a Chrono Trigger sequel I found the game to be extremely good on it's own. (Gamespot gave it a perfect 10, fyi)

On my first playthough I beat the game in 24 hours, so if you were at 3 before you quit you were probably damn close to the end.

blackmage_nuke
12-02-2010, 01:16 PM
I just finished Chrono Cross for the first time a few hours ago :D It's definitely worth it but I prefered Chrono Trigger. Also for a game that only gives you a 3 character party I feel it had too many characters. I also found the leveling system annoying since you miss out on stats unless you take time to train everyone

it went in the proper direction by taking a completely radical turn from its predecessor.
I see what you did

I was like "This should be in the Chrono Trigger/Cross forum" but then I looked and it WASN'T THERE. Where did it go? This is terrible.
Saddest moment in EoFF history, be glad you werent here to witness it

escobert
12-02-2010, 04:42 PM

Yes Roto I know how to read forum descriptions :p

I've played up to viper manor or whatever and the lack of a save point pissed me off. So I shut my PS off since I had friends over. So I'll have to go back and do all that again. Otherwise it's pretty much what I remember.

Red Hero
12-27-2010, 05:20 AM
Rant time!

I feel CC was a mess that ultimately failed in its task as a successor to CT. A pretty, competently made mess that falls apart where it matters most for an RPG. The weakest point was the characters, 80% of whose characterization revolves around lame accents/speech impediments. While the combat was interesting with its balancing of attacks and strength, and the soundtrack was pretty good, although I still highly prefer its predecessor's. The biggest issues were that for one, exploring two dimensions that were nearly identical didn't have the same wonderment as exploring multiple time periods with significant differences.

That, and the plot hinges on the same BS pseudo-sciencey-technobabble apocalyptica as FF7 and Xenogears, which is not surprising given that they all share a writer. Add to that the tenuous connections to CT, a lame series of fake-outs as to who the real "villain" is, the literal butchering of most of CT's cast, and several plot points that outright contradict CT, and you get the idea.

Yeah, I felt scorned by the game, but it is worth p?laying to at least get glimpses of the potential they had - they are there, but mired under lots of Chocobo dung.

Just my two pennies.

Yar
12-29-2010, 11:02 PM
When you play it you have to remember that it is about as much of a sequel to CT as FFII is to FFI.

Personally, I love this game. The accents can drive me nuts, but I just pick the least annoying characters.

NeoCracker
12-31-2010, 03:55 AM
Actually no, Cross is the direct sequel to Trigger, not like FF II was to FF I, but more like Majora's Mask to Occorina of time, meaning they happen in the same time line.

McLovin'
01-01-2011, 02:46 AM
Chrono Cross is awesome. Great atmosphere. Just playing it for the first time and not knowing what the hell is going on and then finding Chronopolis is just so rewarding because you're like "omg this is talking about stuff from CT, but what does it mean!?" Not to mention all the other references to CT make it so cool. Plus crazy time travel stories are what the fans love most! :D

Rostum
01-02-2011, 10:31 AM
I love this game, and have been waiting since time began for it to be up on PSN for me to download and cherish forever then. Especially since it was never released here, and I don't have anything to play my original imported copy on.

Roogle
01-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Rant time!

I feel CC was a mess that ultimately failed in its task as a successor to CT. A pretty, competently made mess that falls apart where it matters most for an RPG. The weakest point was the characters, 80% of whose characterization revolves around lame accents/speech impediments. While the combat was interesting with its balancing of attacks and strength, and the soundtrack was pretty good, although I still highly prefer its predecessor's. The biggest issues were that for one, exploring two dimensions that were nearly identical didn't have the same wonderment as exploring multiple time periods with significant differences.

I agree that the large amount of playable characters led to a dilution of character development in the storyline. The number of playable characters was more akin to a Suikoden game than a Chrono Trigger game, and I think that there would have been a much better reception if the amount of playable characters was reduced to only those with an absolute role in the storyline. I believe on my last playthrough, I only used Serge, Kid, Harle, Glenn, Riddel, and related storyline characters, anyway. What is the deal with silly characters like Funguy or Skelly? If I wanted this type of humor, I would watch a Saturday morning cartoon.