PDA

View Full Version : Proposition for games series

Madame Adequate
12-02-2010, 04:04 PM
I propose that if you have a game series which has multiplayer, which has levels in a meaningful sense (i.e. not just backgrounds like in Street Fighter, but play spaces as in Halo), the sequels include all previous levels and only add to them.

Dreddz
12-02-2010, 05:06 PM
That would probably have been the case if Microsoft hadn't stuck with the DVD format.

JKTrix
12-02-2010, 06:03 PM
A good idea in theory, but a 'seriously competitive' game like Halo wouldn't work like that. Hang 'Em High (http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Hang_%27Em_High) just isn't balanced for jetpacks and dual-wielding. They have been going back and tweaking old popular stages to fit a little better with the new gameplay enhancements, but to do *everything* might be a little much, resource-wise. They could just throw them in there for fun, and have people recognize "these are gifts, we didn't spend a lot of time on it" like Gran Turismo 5's legacy cars and tracks.

In fact, GT5 is a great example. I think they have every car and every track that's been in a GT game. However, the cars and tracks from the earlier games are not rendered with the same 110% polish that the brand new ones are. This is something more feasible for a racing game where the layouts are less complex than a shooting game would be (i.e. you don't have to worry about three dimensional line-of-sight and weapon locations, not saying anything about the quality). So there's one for you.

In any case, Halo kind of has a way out since it has Forge, and their crazy userbase can just recreate their old favourites. Like Hang 'Em High (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYMbYi7Vvw8).

Bolivar
12-02-2010, 06:55 PM
No. Previous maps should be sliced into smaller chunks and re-sold as DLC.

Seriously, though, it sounds like you'd be better off playing shooters on the PC.

And Sony nearly breached their fiduciary duty to their shareholders to let a studio spend that much time making a game that damn good. If GT5 had flopped, I wouldn't be surprised if they were sued in a derivative action.

kotora
12-02-2010, 07:50 PM
No. Previous maps should be sliced into smaller chunks and re-sold as DLC.

true that, how else are they going to milk their franchises for everything they're worth by making you pay twice for the same thing?