PDA

View Full Version : Math of Role Playing Games

Depression Moon
12-02-2010, 08:00 PM
I was deciding to do a presentation assignment on a math topic and I decided to do it on Role Playing video games. I was wondering if I could get some advice on it. I have the ideas to include these topics in my discussion.

Player stats such as (HP, MP, Str, etc.)
Items
Combat

That's it so far.

Roogle
12-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Final Fantasy Tactics has a Battle Mechanics Guide on its page at GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/197339-final-fantasy-tactics). The battle mechanics use simple and advanced mathematical formulas. This would be a good starting point for you to begin to understand the amount of math that goes into the programming and logic of various role-playing games.

Depression Moon
12-02-2010, 08:10 PM
No I'm not trying to do anything in programming as I hate programming. I meant more as the math involved in playing RPGs.

JKTrix
12-02-2010, 09:08 PM
What Roogle was talking about was the kind of math you should be talking about in the game. People have figured out the exact formulas to calculate damage and stuff for this game and others like Pokemon. By 'programming' he means 'this is exactly how the game was designed to work'.

Apart from that, the math involved in just playing an RPG isn't complex enough for a class on the level that I assume you're at. Just basic addition/subtraction.

You like fighting games, I'm sure guys like Roogle and Lionx and maybe me can guide you in the ways of frame data.

Ouch!
12-03-2010, 12:12 AM
As the others have mentioned, you're, at the very least, going to need to engage damage formulas. Discussing the stats as numbers is useless unless you can describe how they interact with one another. I would recommend looking into the mathematical formulas involved in MMORPGs. More so than other titles, I feel that the community actively engages knowledge of these formulas in order to maximize their damage output. My personal experience lies almost exclusively with Final Fantasy XI, but I imagine that most other communities are similarly neurotic about the data.

Roto13
12-03-2010, 04:39 AM
I have a mental image of you standing in front of a slide of a character status screen with a laser pointing saying "Look! Numbers!"

blackmage_nuke
12-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Im not sure how advanced this maths has to be but you can use damage forumales to calculate probability distribution and the such.

Though I cant imagine any class where a presentation about math is applicable

VexNet
12-03-2010, 05:59 PM
and here I was thinking of something simple like the math involved in a D&D game, where a simple role of the dice would let you know how much damage you have inflicted. I had always imagined that's how Video Game RPGs kind of worked. Your weapon would have a top set of HP it takes off while your STR would act as your bonus buff points and a number is chosen at random to decide how effective the final hit would be.

like if a weapon has 20HP it takes off tops.
and your STR is +40 (in this case let's say the amount this adds to the weapon is half of the +40 so it would be 20HP)
then a number is chosen at random between one and twenty at how efficient that attack would be.
Lowest/weakest attack would be 20HP taken off, while strongest attack would be 40HP taken off.
(20 + (40) 20) w/ (R) = Attack

and then on top of that you can add armour and equipment buffs or de-buffs.

or am I totally wrong in this way of thinking?

Goldenboko
12-03-2010, 06:12 PM
At the very least, you're going to need to go into the math of equation-based damage calculation. It's pretty god damn simple still, so don't worry about needing to know programming math.

More importantly than all of this is, what class are you presenting this to?

If I had to do a presentation for my Calculus class, I'd probably go into something more complex, probably not even something based in an RPG, something like projectile motion in Angry Birds and how using derivatives in programing assigns characteristics to the motion.

If I was making a presentation to an Algebra class, than RPG's would do nicely, but I'd have to at least look up the equations that decide how stats base damage for attacks and how equations differ for different attacks.

If you don't want to go as deeply as number 2, then you better be in an arithmetic class! :lol:

KentaRawr!
12-03-2010, 07:09 PM
I made a blog post about this on omgmygame!!

RPGs and their numerical nonsense! | omgmygame (http://www.omgmygame.com/node/149)

Depression Moon
12-03-2010, 07:46 PM
I appreciate the help from everyone. I will take a look at the damage formulas.

and here I was thinking of something simple like the math involved in a D&D game, where a simple role of the dice would let you know how much damage you have inflicted. I had always imagined that's how Video Game RPGs kind of worked. Your weapon would have a top set of HP it takes off while your STR would act as your bonus buff points and a number is chosen at random to decide how effective the final hit would be.

and your STR is +40 (in this case let's say the amount this adds to the weapon is half of the +40 so it would be 20HP)
then a number is chosen at random between one and twenty at how efficient that attack would be.
Lowest/weakest attack would be 20HP taken off, while strongest attack would be 40HP taken off.

I was actually thinking about including this. Along with items I was planning to include equipment such as weapons and armor. I know for example in some RPGs like FFIX there is both an attack and a Str stat.
The ATK stat is the one that does the actual damage and I know in some RPGs I've seen the ATK stat increase because of the Str stat so I was wondering if a certain amount of str points equals 1 ATK point and you also have some attacks in RPGs that do damage based on amount of HP like Demi.

More importantly than all of this is, what class are you presenting this to?
Survey of Math (Probability, Geometry, Trig, Number theory, etc.)

Crowseye
12-03-2010, 08:14 PM
RPG math is probably a bit more suited to discussion in a Probability & Statistics class where you can talk about modeling, expected values, distributions, min-maxing, etc.

Still, my own fascination with RPGs is largely due to the underlying mathematical concepts and associated problem solving. I love questions such as "What are the best talents/feats/abilities to select?" or "Which weapons should I use?"

RPGs all have the quality of inherently trying to model fictional/imaginary scenarios using mathematical concepts. Some such "models" are very loose and are aimed at fun and ease-of-use, and others are so complex that they could loosely be considered a "simulation."

Ouch!
12-03-2010, 09:00 PM
See, when I said damage formula, I was talking about something like this (http://www.freewebs.com/vzx-01/dmgcalc.htm).

blackmage_nuke
12-04-2010, 06:39 AM

or am I totally wrong in this way of thinking?

A few wrpg's do work this way like Baulder's gate and the such but more often than not since computers can do calculations so much more precise their random number generators go beyond a dice system. Or so Is my knowledge

Mirage
12-06-2010, 02:25 AM
Nothing wrong with a dice as a random number generator though. They're as random as you need them to be anyway.

Depression Moon
12-07-2010, 02:12 AM
I think I have the info I need for this. I will probably include probability into somehow. I thinking for in predicting the outcome of a fight and including slot attacks like Cait Sith and Setzer's.

I want to include a video. What kind should I show?

Roto13
12-07-2010, 02:18 AM
I think I have the info I need for this. I will probably include probability into somehow. I thinking for in predicting the outcome of a fight and including slot attacks like Cait Sith and Setzer's.

I want to include a video. What kind should I show?
YouTube - Tidus and Yuna laugh...out loud? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5FTJxfV3pc)

Shoeberto
12-07-2010, 03:06 AM
RPGs are pretty much ALL statistics and probability, so that should be the basis for your whole thing. The math beyond that is only really "okay, that enemy is weak to fire so the damage will be 2x."

Rase
12-08-2010, 12:57 AM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/20/Catch_formula_1.png

:D

Peegee
12-08-2010, 03:31 AM
It's [the topic] predictable but at least fun. You can talk about for example the deflection algorithm in world of warcraft (luluuulz)

i'm too lazy to look it up, but if it's not a straight miss I think it becomes parry, dodge, shield block value (absorbs damage), then armor reduction and other things I forgot. Your level versus the mob's level also matters and factors into how much avoidance statistics you get. For hit, there's an algorithm where (aside from level disparity) there's hit, expertise, armor penetration, and um.. that's it.

Then you have weapon speed and haste, which factors into the frequency of attacks for each character.

So you have two ways that two characters in the game, when engaged in melee combat, will interact (assuming they stand still and swing).

I've simplified it but since you're talking about math, you just have to grab the percentage values and plot them out. It's boring but if you play the game it's fun!

Depression Moon
12-08-2010, 02:22 PM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/2/20/Catch_formula_1.png

:D

What is that formula for?

Roogle
12-08-2010, 10:42 PM
You like fighting games, I'm sure guys like Roogle and Lionx and maybe me can guide you in the ways of frame data.

The mathematics used in fighting games differs from the mathematics used in role-playing games. Essentially, a level of math exists in most video games that players can incorporate into their own mental math skills. I attribute my ability at being able to process numbers mostly to my time with video games.

Depression Moon
12-09-2010, 08:51 PM
I did my presentation today. My teacher seemed impressed and interested. Said she hasn't played RPGs since D&D. RPGs nowadays are too involving and expect you to do all these calculations.

Rase
12-10-2010, 11:15 PM
What is that formula for?
The catch rate (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Catch_rate) of a Pokemon.