PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Raider reboot?!

Jessweeee♪
12-07-2010, 12:52 AM
TOMB RAIDER | SQUARE ENIX (http://release.square-enix.com/na/2010/12/06_01.html)

Seems like it's gonna be more than a mere remake. I'm eager to see how this unfolds; I'm not sure if it can top the joy of playing Anniversary.

Depression Moon
12-07-2010, 01:02 AM
Doesn't it feel kind of weird that Square Enix is publishing Tomb Raider now?

Jessweeee♪
12-07-2010, 01:09 AM
I suppose this thread technically goes in the Square Enix forum, but since they have no part in development I dropped it here.

Vermachtnis
12-07-2010, 02:08 AM
Didn't they just have a reboot?

Depression Moon
12-07-2010, 02:10 AM
Anniversary was several years ago. I'm not really feeling the take they have going from that little description. It'll show up in the next issue of GI so I'll wait for my issue in the mail and read the article on it.

Jessweeee♪
12-07-2010, 03:25 AM
Didn't they just have a reboot?

The plot of Anniversary was almost exactly the same as the original (if I remember correctly, it's been like a decade since I've played it without skipping the cutscenes). Since this one is supposed to be about the origin of Lara Croft, I imagine it'll be more similar to Chronicles than the original Tomb Raider.

So basically the selling point of this one is "we put more plot in it this time and it'll be awesome promise." We'll just have to wait and see!

Vyk
12-07-2010, 03:12 PM
I liked Legend and Underworld. So its nice to know its still being developed by Crystal Dynamics. Though I agree, a remake is still a little soon. But they've done a really good job fleshing out her past. So I trust them

Madame Adequate
12-07-2010, 09:25 PM
The fact that they were willing to reduce the size of her boobs bodes well. That is the most dramatic possible shift and doing it indicates that they are able to look at anything else with a critical eye and hopefully change what doesn't work.

Breine
12-08-2010, 11:49 AM
I liked Legend and Underworld. So its nice to know its still being developed by Crystal Dynamics. Though I agree, a remake is still a little soon. But they've done a really good job fleshing out her past. So I trust them

It's not a remake. It's an origin story as Jessweeee said.

Anyway, I'm a big Tomb Raider fan and so I'm naturally looking forward to this. But, does this mean that they're changing the Tomb Raider story and canon?

EDIT: I found some pictures from the new game.

http://gfx.newz.cdn.zfour.dk/95/19595-670x800crop0.jpg

http://gfx.newz.cdn.zfour.dk/94/19594-1354x800crop0.jpg

Dreddz
12-08-2010, 12:55 PM
Something tells me that the execs from Square Enix pointed at Uncharted 2 and said "Make that".

I hope I'm wrong.

Vyk
12-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Crystal Dynamics has been in charge of Tomb Raider and its story for the last three games. Canon has already been changed, and for the better in my opinion. And I highly doubt they'd try to ape much from another franchise. They might take cues and inspiration. But the Tomb Raider games have been good enough to stand on their own for a while now. Legend was great. Underworld and Anniversary were really good. They just didn't hit it big in the public. But the mechanics the designers have are sound, though possibly dated. All they really did was perfect the original formula. It could probably use some updating. Though their idea behind the reboot originally was to go back to the tomb raiding feel. Uncharted may have caught some Indiana Jones feel, which was obviously a huge inspiration for the original Tomb Raider games. But I'm not sure lots of action would fit the Tomb Raider formula well. Its not really their original passion. But we'll see I suppose

Depression Moon
12-08-2010, 01:17 PM

Anyway, I'm a big Tomb Raider fan and so I'm naturally looking forward to this. But, does this mean that they're changing the Tomb Raider story and canon?

EDIT: I found some pictures from the new game.

http://gfx.newz.cdn.zfour.dk/95/19595-670x800crop0.jpg

http://gfx.newz.cdn.zfour.dk/94/19594-1354x800crop0.jpg

So Jessica Alba is now Lara Croft?

Breine
12-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Crystal Dynamics has been in charge of Tomb Raider and its story for the last three games. Canon has already been changed, and for the better in my opinion. And I highly doubt they'd try to ape much from another franchise. They might take cues and inspiration. But the Tomb Raider games have been good enough to stand on their own for a while now. Legend was great. Underworld and Anniversary were really good. They just didn't hit it big in the public. But the mechanics the designers have are sound, though possibly dated. All they really did was perfect the original formula. It could probably use some updating.

Oh yeah, I completely agree. The change of canon in the last three games was definitely for the better. I was just wondering if they were gonna change it once again, now that they're rebooting and stuff. I highly doubt it, though, since it would be stupid. But it's gonna be interesting to see where they'll fit in the story of this next game.

Madame Adequate
12-08-2010, 07:21 PM
It'd be pretty sweet to see Lara having to fight off Prana Devils.

Jessweeee♪
12-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I read the Game Informer feature today. It looks promising! (But if my taste in Final Fantasy games is any indication, that means many many people will inexplicably hate it :confused:)

kotora
12-08-2010, 10:15 PM
I read the Game Informer feature today. It looks promising! (But if my taste in Final Fantasy games is any indication, that means many many people will inexplicably hate it :confused:)

actually I'm sure it will be very well explicable, as with the recent Final Fantasy games. Though I'm pretty sure the new Tomb Raider game is gonna have a better story and character development than those !