PDA

View Full Version : Any animals that foxes can make friends, or at least be on neutral grounds with?

MJN SEIFER
12-07-2010, 10:23 PM
I'm actually asking this for something fictional, but just to be more believable, are there any animals that could at least spend a given amount of time with a fox, and not be in any risk, or be any risk to the fox? If there aren't any in real life, are there any that you think could believably be used for this in works of fiction? Like I say, the animal can't be anyone who is either likely to cause harm to a fox, or is likely to be harmed by a fox.

If the "make friends" part confuses you, that's more of a fictional device, as in reality they probably only "make friends" with other foxes, so it could also just be an animal that is mainly on neutral ground to the fox, and is neither food nor threat. Any help, would be greatly appreciated.

kotora
12-07-2010, 10:33 PM
a hound would make a great friend according to disney

Psychotic
12-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Did you never watch the Animals of Farthing Wood as a kid?

Vermachtnis
12-08-2010, 03:53 AM
A kitty cat. Kitty cats get along with everything. Even monkeys.

blackmage_nuke
12-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Maybe some kind of herbivore it cant reach, that way neither hunts the other. Like a Koala (though Koala might be a geographical stretch depending on where your story is set.)

Bat maybe?

escobert
12-08-2010, 05:05 AM
bigfoot duh.

Rodarian
12-08-2010, 06:20 AM
A moose!

blackmage_nuke
12-08-2010, 06:33 AM
A rabbit, a toad and a falcon, with a dog as their leader.

Vyk
12-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Foxes hunt small animals and scavenge off larger things or whatever's convenient. Garbage or at camp sites and whatnot. They're in the canine family, but they're not like wolves or anything. But they would be hunted by wolves and coyotes. So that's out. Any larger herbivore would be too big for the fox to hunt, and probably wouldn't consider the fox much of a threat. So in that regard I'd say a deer or moose or something

On a side note, if the fox happens to be a pet, its interesting to note that they can easily be domesticated if not tamed. This has been done many times in the past (its even more interesting to note that the more generations of domesticated foxes come by, the more their attributes take on that of dogs; their fur changes and lightens, they sometimes start to develops patches or spots like hounds or dalmatian mixes). But like dogs, in the proper environment, they can be friends with anything

Laddy
12-08-2010, 12:14 PM
I wanna be friendly we a fox! :bigsmile:

Chris
12-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Did you never watch the Animals of Farthing Wood as a kid?
One of my favorite shows as a youngling. Also, I agree. :D

Rantz
12-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Unicorn. Or if you have a farmer at hand, the fox doesn't eat sheep. Then you can cross the river safely.

But yeah I'd listen to Vyk.

12-08-2010, 03:02 PM
We had a fox den at the back of our garden. Seem to be fine with cats.

MJN SEIFER
01-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Oh my God, guys - I really didn't mean to be this late in replying, I realize this thread maybe locked soon, but I appreciate all you responses, and I will see what I can do, thanks for your help, particulaly Vyk as that was very detailed, and you've helped me with something else as well as my initial question - so I got bonus help as well. :)

Laddy
01-10-2011, 07:07 PM
Best thread ever?

Peegee
01-10-2011, 08:48 PM
We had a fox den at the back of our garden. Seem to be fine with cats.

I'm shocked at that. Foxes would easily hunt cats just as raccoons would be a danger (if anything the rabies). Mostly they hunt mice though... hm

Do Fox hunt in packs? 13 lbs... and no, not in packs. So anything bigger than they are would not be a threat.

Old Manus
01-10-2011, 10:45 PM
Solid Snakes

NorthernChaosGod
01-10-2011, 11:24 PM
Solid Snakes

What if the Fox isn't Gray?

Peegee
01-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Solid Snakes

the fox could be a star and then Baloki would be solid snake.

Old Manus
01-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Solid Snakes

They're still more dangerous than jackals (when cornered)

blackmage_nuke
01-11-2011, 07:54 AM
I need scissors! 61!

sharkythesharkdogg
01-11-2011, 04:03 PM
I see it as something as clever as a fox, like an owl or a raven. Perhaps they'd always have that tension of respecting each other's tactical nature, but never fully trusting each other. Always trying to one up one another.

Or perhaps something the fox can manipulate with his wit. Perhaps a weasel or a turtle.

The weasel because he's too A.D.D. catch what's going on. The turtle because even though he knows he's being manipulated he's too low key and non-confrontational to say anything.