PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting FFX

Elskidor
12-10-2010, 03:42 AM
Replaying the entire series in a ransom order, and just hit 7 hours into X. After wrapping up 1,9 and 13 I had an urge to go through X following XIII. They have a lot of similarities, or so I thought. In comparison to XIII, I am enjoying X more than I remember, but that might be because I just finished a title I found to be one of the worst in Final Fantasy history. I was never a big X fan at it's release. I'll keep this thread updated as I go. Still not fond of Tidus, and relearning the leveling system is interesting. But yeah that's about that. 7 hours in and enjoying it this go around after nearly a decade.

Pete for President
12-10-2010, 09:51 AM
I'm getting the urge to revisit X again too. Though it's only been a year or 2 or 3. Have fun though! It's my favorite.

FFIX Choco Boy
12-10-2010, 11:19 AM
I revisit X about every 3 months or so. I personally love it every time through, and usually try a different challenge every time, too.

Elskidor
12-11-2010, 04:53 AM
Just entered the annoying thunder plains, and wondering why I have not seen a jecht sphere yet. I must have passed up a few. I enjoy the flashback sequences, but I can't remember when you start to see them. At it's release I guess I was really mad at some of the choices they made and extreme changed X had, because this time around I'm really enjoying the game play and able to look past it. The lack of world map is still a downer, but the story and play is enjoyable enough to look past. X-2 really should have been about Yuna's dad and the pilgrimage rather than a Charlie's Angles game we got that kinda hurt the ending to the original.

FFIX Choco Boy
12-11-2010, 12:19 PM
You start seeing Jecht Spheres after you kill Spheremorph in Macalania.

Elskidor
12-17-2010, 11:46 PM
Speeding through this game quicker than I thought, but I'll make up for that with the mini games, grinding and side stuff. Just took out Yunalesca and MAN was she one tough chick. As soon as I reached her domain I remembered she was a tricky pony, and wondered if I needed to grind some more. Luckily, I beat her on the first time, but it was one hell of a looong battle. Choosing between reflect and curing her or taking the cure as a zombie was the fun part. Probably could have gotten through it faster if Yuna and the rest of the toons had their overdrives up and ready, but I wasted them all on the boss fight prior.

Kyros
12-18-2010, 12:19 AM
The only part that seemed to drive me crazy sometimes in FFX was getting all the right butterflies when maxing out all the ultimate weapons. Are you doing everything or just running through the story?

Elskidor
12-18-2010, 03:28 AM
So far just strolling through, but once I get the airship I plan on doing a lot more. I'd like to max out the sphere grid and obtain most of the extra goodies. I prefer doing as much as I can until I get bored and wrap up the game. Another bad thing about XIII was it didn't let you advance much until after game completion and at that point you kinda lose the ambition to go back and do more after knowing your done.

edit: Dang it dang it dang it! Just realized had to get the destruction spheres for Anima and Magus Sisters. That truly sucks! Ack. Was really looking forward to the Magus Sister too. Makes me wanna break down and beat the game in hopes of remembering to do this on the next go around.

Nebulance
12-19-2010, 01:57 AM
So far just strolling through, but once I get the airship I plan on doing a lot more. I'd like to max out the sphere grid and obtain most of the extra goodies. I prefer doing as much as I can until I get bored and wrap up the game. Another bad thing about XIII was it didn't let you advance much until after game completion and at that point you kinda lose the ambition to go back and do more after knowing your done.

I feel the same way too, I keep telling myself I want to go back and level up some more in XIII, but I find myself more interested in playing through X again -- X is my favorite; I think the story of X is brilliant, and is the main reason why I keep going back to it. Even just listening to the music is good stuff too, when you're not playing :)

Elskidor
12-19-2010, 03:53 AM
Well yeah FF music has always been one of the greatest aspect to the games in my opinion, and the story is a pretty damn good one. I have to say I have grown to like this game a hell of a lot more now than at it's release. Quite mad that I missed the chance to get the Magus Sister and Anima, but out of the four Final Fantasy replays I've done this year (1,9,13first play, and 10) I've had more fun with this one, with IX lingering not too far. At launch I was really bent on how much it strayed from it's previous installments but I think enough time has passed that I've been really able to enjoy it even with it's differences. I am still considering maxing out the sphere grid, but I realized it's a lot bigger than what I thought it was. Sheesh, read that it's possibe to get 99,999 hp. Although very temping I'm not sure if I am gonna spend that much time on on it. Have FFV in waiting for a replay unless EOFF gets something going with Tactics or XII.

Chris
12-23-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm currently in the middle of replaying this game myself, although I'm taking a break at the moment. It is still my favorite FF game, and it never ceases to thrill me. Yeah, I know. But it's just so damn good, right?

FYI: I have just reached the Calm Lands. :p

DMKA
12-24-2010, 02:59 AM
I've been wanting to replay it for the last year but sadly my old TV broke so now I've joined the world of HDTV users, where playing FFX will make your eyes bleed. ;_;

Remon
12-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Bah. After replaying it like 10? times when I was low on PS2 game cash, I don't really feel like playing again.

EMX
01-01-2011, 12:13 PM
I'm on a play-thru at the minute. I never realised how deep this game was until now. The plot is really messed up and Tidus's relationship with his father is a hard one to gauge. But all this strangeness about the nature of Tidus's existence gets to me a little bit. Did he ever exist at all? If Jecht exists as Sin then I refuse to accept that Tidus is fully a dream. But the ending seems to argue against this point of view.

Elskidor
01-01-2011, 03:47 PM
I take it as neither of them truly existed. They were creations for the loop hole to end the madness.

Nebulance
01-01-2011, 05:01 PM
I take it as neither of them truly existed. They were creations for the loop hole to end the madness.

I think that Jecht and Tidus 'existed' only as a dream -- in the fictional (prosperous) Zanarkand of 1000 years ago -- created by Yu Yevon. Somehow through the interaction with the then-current Sin, it brought Jecht to the real world of Spira. In a similar manner, Jecht wanted his son to free him from being Sin, and hence brought Tidus to Spira.

EMX
01-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Yet Bahamut's fayth makes a pretty fair point in that, now that they have existed in some form, they do in fact EXIST in a tangible form. Consider that Jecht was a dream of the fayth, it makes him no less real than the aeons. Having become an aeon himself and then having been used firstly as a final aeon then as Sin, has he not transcended the dream to become real? I personally would have liked it if Tidus had been the dream of Jecht's fayth (even though he doesn't have one). It would have been interesting had the angle been more that he wanted to destroy and then save himself. In a way, the storyline touches upon that possibility but never fulfills the promise that it showed. I think Final Fantasy X does a lot of that; there's a lot of promise, a lot of questions half-answered, but somewhere in between the glue was missing that would have made it that 10% better. X is a great game in my opinion because it changed the FF gameplay and produced another interesting, intriguing plot. But it missed the chance to be the best game of its genre by not going a few steps further.

Final Fantasy X-2 should have also been more decisive and conclusive. The question should have been answered - Is Tidus real? And personally, for closure, I would have liked the answer to be yes. The whole Yuna - Tidus 'thang' feels like a complete waste of time on this play-thru because I know it's complete and utter fallacy. I feel more attached to other characters because Tidus just isn't there.

Tai-Ti
01-01-2011, 10:54 PM
I replayed X a few months ago for sheer nostalgia, and not that I'm trying to impress you, but I beat the SHEET out of that game. It's one of the few games I'm better than my brother at and it will always hold a special place in my spleen for that.
However :
Final Fantasy X-2 should have also been more decisive and conclusive is an understatement.
X-2 could have also been more....... good.
Don't think I'll ever re-visit it. HA!

Nebulance
01-02-2011, 01:28 AM
The whole Yuna - Tidus 'thang' feels like a complete waste of time on this play-thru because I know it's complete and utter fallacy. I feel more attached to other characters because Tidus just isn't there.

I don't think it was -- I actually appreciate that the whole story is somewhat of a question, it lets us decide what it all means for ourselves -- and shouldn't art do that?

Those feelings Tidus or Yuna had weren't a waste -- they were real for Yuna -- and for Tidus, well, one can argue what those 'feelings' even mean on the level of reality... But to say that their romance (or whatever you want to call it) was a waste is to deny Yuna of having human qualities (as much as a videogame or movie character can have). I think it makes Yuna and Tidus that much more relatable, considering we all know how complicated relationships can become in general. The mystery of what they're going through makes it that much more intriguing.

Think about when you wake up from a dream that felt so real that you're baffled when you wake up -- is it not the same type of feeling? Would you call those reactionary feelings you had 'fake'?

(I'm not trying to shoot down your opinion and say you're wrong, I just think it's a nice topic to discuss)

FFIX Choco Boy
01-02-2011, 06:53 AM
I think that the fayth that needed no summoner to control at Gagazet was for both Sin and Dream Zanarkand. I think that Jecht, Tidus, and every other resident of DZ was as real as Sin and the Aeons, and that whether they had been touched by Sin or not, they could exist and manipulate the real world in the same way as the Aeons. It's not confusing to me to think about when I put it this way, because it means they are real. The only question that springs to mind, though, is that after the fayth "dismiss" Tidus, if they had procreated, if at all possible, what wold happen to his offspring? Would they suddenly lose half of their chromosomes, be unaffected, disappear themselves, or what? How would a relationship with an Aeon really work?

Tai-Ti
01-02-2011, 07:27 AM
if at all possible, what wold happen to his offspring?

I doubt it would be possible. Tidus is shooting blanks.

Christmas
01-03-2011, 01:47 AM
I ALWAY REPLAY IT WITH CHEATS AND HACKS! I LIKE PWNING :bou::bou::bou::bou: AND HAVE MAX OUT STATS WITH NO EFFORT AT ALL.

Karifean
01-07-2011, 10:36 PM
I think that the fayth that needed no summoner to control

I think they do; (Yu) Yevon is their summoner, isn't he?

FFIX Choco Boy
01-08-2011, 04:09 AM
No, I don't think he controls anything but the weaving of Sin. After that, it's the guardian's choice what to do as Sin, not Yu's.

Yliette
07-26-2011, 06:21 AM
It's been nine years since I first played and beat this game and now that I've read this thread, I suddenly have the urge to play it again.

The things I liked about the game is the deviation from the previous games. It was the first in the series to have voice-acting, have no world map and use a completely different battle system where tactics and careful planning are required, not reflexes and quick-thinking. The Summon system too was top notch.

I also admired that it based its themes and designs from Asian features, unlike the previous ones with elements of sci-fi and Medieval Europe.

Overall, this game will be one of those that will remain in my heart and I daresay I'll never grow tired of it.

Jessweeee♪
07-27-2011, 07:11 PM
I ALWAY REPLAY IT WITH CHEATS AND HACKS! I LIKE PWNING :bou::bou::bou::bou: AND HAVE MAX OUT STATS WITH NO EFFORT AT ALL.

I'm a little late to the party, but that's exactly what I did last time I replayed it. 99 EVERYTHING.