PDA

View Full Version : SEX... in books that is

Freya
12-10-2010, 08:58 PM
So I joined goodreads (http://www.goodreads.com) which is a site where you basically can list and review books and what not. It's like a social networking site for readers. Anyway so I recently just finished Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin and so I rated it and wrote a short little review. Well I thought I'd read some of the other reviews.

A lot of the reviews that gave negative comments were about the sex in it. If you've read it, there really isn't that much and if you have, you'd notice that it goes with the world. The compliant was that it was sexist, how it was always kinda misogynistic blah blah. It was like these reviewers were wanting an equally sexually satisfying scene in a world where that isn't too common. It mentions earlier in the book how the young girl isn't suppose to fight because it's un-lady like. That's the kind of book it is, the world, yet these reviewers are giving it negative points because it... stays true to that? I get if it was in a more modern setting, but it's not. It's in a Men rule all and girls are married off to make ties for political reasons, kidna setting.

Now i'm not all "PRO SEX!" in books, it has to fit. If you've ever read or even know about the Anita Blake series you'll know that the later novels are really smut books with little plot. It's a shame because they started off strong, story wise. Now i'm not against smutty books but it's the fact that her sex scenes are horribly written and just seem to be there because the author wants sex in her books. That's when I have a problem with it. But in the Martin case, they fit.

What's your opinion on sex in books?

kotora
12-10-2010, 09:07 PM
it's horrible and it ruins our children

no seriously why do americans always have to make a big deal about sex and nudity

Bunny
12-10-2010, 09:20 PM
no seriously why do americans always have to make a big deal about sex and nudity

because we were founded by prudish nerds who probably couldn't get laid with a thousand dicks in a room full of loose vaginas

Shlup
12-10-2010, 09:29 PM
I like smut.

Roto13
12-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Once I thumbed through a western my grandfather had been reading and there were like 5 explicit sex scenes in it. It was kind of hilarious. And gross. Because my grandfather was totally into those books.

Jessweeee♪
12-11-2010, 12:45 AM
If it doesn't feel like it was put in there just for the sake of having a sex scene then sure! I flipped through an erotic novel once and the word "boobalicious" was in it like sixty times, each time in bold font. It was weird.

Shlup
12-11-2010, 12:53 AM
Please try your very hardest to remember the title of that book.

Jessweeee♪
12-11-2010, 12:55 AM
I think it had a Christmas theme to it.

Bunny
12-11-2010, 01:27 AM
A Very Boobilicious Christmas by Stephan King

kotora
12-11-2010, 01:31 AM

because we were founded by prudish nerds who probably couldn't get laid with a thousand dicks in a room full of loose vaginas

people still accomplished great things before the advent of internet message boards

Pheesh
12-11-2010, 03:04 AM
Yeah, it's okay. Basically my two favorite authors are Stephen King and Bret Easton Ellis so I kind of have to be okay with it. If it's done in a way that makes it fit the book then it's all good. Pro tip: it's virtually impossible to read and masturbate.

Ouch!
12-11-2010, 03:13 AM
They should have stuck past Game of Thrones. Sounds like these people would absolutely love Breine. Also, Daenerys and Arya start to kick some serious ass. I can imagine that Sansa would frustrate the hell out of any feminist, though.

Characters having sex in books is like characters taking a piss in books. If we're going to follow characters into their world of the mundane and real life, there better be a compelling reason.

blackmage_nuke
12-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Yeah, it's okay. Basically my two favorite authors are Stephen King and Bret Easton Ellis so I kind of have to be okay with it. If it's done in a way that makes it fit the book then it's all good. Pro tip: it's virtually impossible to read and masturbate.

Not with that attitude!

Pheesh
12-11-2010, 08:15 AM
Characters having sex in books is like characters taking a piss in books. If we're going to follow characters into their world of the mundane and real life, there better be a compelling reason.

To be fair, there's a lot more (or at least the prospect of a lot more) emotional investment in the act of sex than there is in taking a leak. Even a character having sex with someone who they're not emotionally attached to, or having the most boring sex ever tells you more about that character than the most exciting of trips to the bathroom ever could.

Heath
12-11-2010, 01:39 PM
I don't have a problem with it, in the same sense that I don't have a problem with sex in films. That said, I can't really think of any sex scenes I've read and thought 'my word, what a literary triumph.'

Shiny
12-11-2010, 11:41 PM
Tropic of Cancer anyone? I was searching for information on a book about closeted gay rap and R&B artists and for some reason Google Books took me to a book about a woman who has sex with a famous actor to get him to be in the movie she's producing, but the book is written so distastefully that it makes it seem like it's a twelve year old writing it. It's like you don't need to say anything got inserted. It can be assumed...nor do you need to go in graphic detail on the "moisture" and "texture". People have imaginations. With that said, I don't have a huge issue with it if it's done tastefully and makes sense within the context of the novel.

Breine
12-15-2010, 10:28 PM
They should have stuck past Game of Thrones. Sounds like these people would absolutely love Breine.

:bigsmile:

rubah
12-16-2010, 12:01 AM
I was uncomfortable with all the sex (and wincest) in Game of Thrones when I read it, but that was many years ago now.

Rye
12-16-2010, 01:14 AM
Some of the best books are sexual in nature! Lolita, anyone? Every single one of Haruki Murakami's novels and short stories?!

With that said, it has to be done well. I don't want to pick up a serious novel and have it read like a cheesy housemother romance novel. No talking about her moist "valley of sex" or anything of the like.

G13
12-16-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't mind it. All of my favorite books have quite a few sex scenes in them... not that the two are connected in any way! If those people can't deal with it then maybe they should be reading something else.

No talking about her moist "valley of sex" or anything of the like.

:lol:

The Summoner of Leviathan
12-16-2010, 05:43 PM
As long as it is tasteful, I do not mind. I had not problem with the sex in A Game of Thrones.

Madame Adequate
12-19-2010, 03:24 AM
I do not like sex scenes in books. If I want that I'll go and read a sex book or a Snape x Harry fanfic. If it's just a regular book then the sex is likely to be awkward and ineptly written. Though that's my experience with sex in all entertainment media, tbh.

Peegee
12-19-2010, 04:16 AM
It's been a while since my early 20s but does Winston fap in his secret corner?