PDA

View Full Version : Buffy Reboot

Freya
12-11-2010, 07:21 AM
I don't know if you lot have heard this or not but I thought I'd make a thread.

Buffy reboot. A movie. Without Whedon. Yup. Trying to cash in on the cash cow of teenagers and vamps.... again

I always hoped that Buffy would live on even after my death. But, you know, AFTER. I don't love the idea of my creation in other hands, but I'm also well aware that many more hands than mine went into making that show what it was. And there is no legal grounds for doing anything other than sighing audibly. I can't wish people who are passionate about my little myth ill. I can, however, take this time to announce that I'm making a Batman movie. Because there's a franchise that truly needs updating. So look for The Dark Knight Rises Way Earlier Than That Other One And Also More Cheaply And In Toronto, rebooting into a theater near you. (http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/rorschachsrants/news/?a=25541)

hehe Whedon

THOUGHTS?

Shlup
12-11-2010, 09:50 AM
I actually signed a petition last week stating that I had no interest in seeing a Buffy movie without Joss Whedon's involvement. That may change if the movie were to come out to rave reviews of old fans, but until then I just can't be arsed to care.

charliepanayi
12-11-2010, 10:01 AM
Seems a bit pointless really, though Whedon's response to it was very funny.

Roto13
12-11-2010, 10:15 PM
I actually signed a petition last week stating that I had no interest in seeing a Buffy movie without Joss Whedon's involvement. That may change if the movie were to come out to rave reviews of old fans, but until then I just can't be arsed to care.

How about rave reviews from normal people? Fans will just bitch about it forever and go see it fifty times no matter how good or bad it is.

Psychotic
12-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Can't see the harm of it. The Buffy mythology is an interesting one. If the new one sucks, then if anything it'd just make me appreciate the old one more.

Elskidor
12-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Bring it on. I had a feeling Buffy would be back, but not like this. I don't think it really matters because the fans of the series don't have to watch it if they feel that strongly about it. I liked Angel's show a lot more and was hoping that would return one day, but I find it highly unlikely under Joss. Wonder if these guys are gonna bring in Angel or Spike, or if it's just a Buffy thing.

Shlup
12-11-2010, 10:26 PM

How about rave reviews from normal people? Fans will just bitch about it forever and go see it fifty times no matter how good or bad it is.

Contrary to popular belief, hardcore fans do give props where props are due. Trekkers of all kinds said the new Star Trek movie was great, so I saw it, and they were right.

Seraphic
12-12-2010, 05:38 AM
My thing against this reboot is that it's a complete reboot, so as Joss has stated before, they can't use any of the characters from the tv series except for Buffy herself.
How the hell are you gonna have Buffy without Willow,Xander or the rest of the Scooby Gang? It just won't have the same feel to it.
And how many times can we see a Slayer origin story?
Furthermore, who else could play Buffy than Sarah Michelle Gellar herself? She IS Buffy.
I just can't.

I'm sure I'll watch it on tv or something one day.

Bunny
12-12-2010, 06:24 AM
This is stupid.

Applying the mythology behind the Slayer and putting it forward in a completely different storyline would be perfectly fine (if done right). There is absolutely less than zero need to reboot the Buffy story and character. It isn't like the last season of the show opened up a door to say "hey look, you can add more slayers whenever you want, we explained it already for you!"

Juliebrenna
12-12-2010, 03:25 PM
Can't see the harm of it. The Buffy mythology is an interesting one. If the new one sucks, then if anything it'd just make me appreciate the old one more.

It will most definitely suck lol. Now i have to get back to my <a href="http://eyesonff.com" style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255) ! important; text-decoration: none ! important; cursor: default ! important;">dvd printing</a> before I waste anymore time reading these threads :mad:

Madame Adequate
12-12-2010, 05:04 PM
Hard to see how it could credibly come up with characters as good as those in Buffy.

Vyk
12-13-2010, 05:14 AM
You people make it sound like the show started the mythology. The show actually was pretty much a reboot from a previous movie known as Buffy the Vampire Slayer :P

Freya
12-13-2010, 08:53 AM
Which was written by joss whedon, who's not writing the new one.

charliepanayi
12-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Whedon somewhat disowned the film after it came out, he wasn't happy with how they interpreted his script. Plus the TV series was great, and the film wasn't, hence why a reboot seems needless.

Breine
12-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Yup, Joss wrote the original movie, but the Kuzuis (who directed it) pretty much ruined his script. That is why he went on to make the TV series which was how he'd originally imagined it. Joss Whedon is Buffy, and Buffy is Joss Whedon. It's his baby, and in the hands of other people it just wouldn't work.

However, the character could have the potential to live on and become something big. Like e.g. Superman, Batman and many other characters/stories have gone through multiple reboots, versions and interpretations. But Joss's style is just so unique, personal and such a big part of the show and character that it wouldn't really work without him.

Vyk
12-13-2010, 04:36 PM
I never fell under the Whedon spell. And really I only know of Buffy fans who have fallen under that spell. The only thing Joss has done that I've adored was Firefly. Dollhouse was extremely "meh". Buffy was just okay in my book, but not okay enough to make me want to check out Angel. Buffy just didn't do it for me, so Joss isn't all that magical to me. Though I wouldn't trust Hollywood with -anything- these days. So its not like I'm saying they'll likely do better because I hate Joss. I don't hate Joss, I just don't think he's that special. And the potential is definitely there that someone could do a competent job with Buffy. But I doubt they will

Push Shyamalan in charge, and guarantee ruination!

Freya
12-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Better love Joss! He's in charge of The Avengers movie!

Vyk
12-13-2010, 08:59 PM
Eh, last time I enjoyed a comic book superhero movie was the original Batman movies. Though I enjoyed most of Hancock. I don't think that was based on a comic book. Comic books + movies just don't translate well in Hollywood. And like I've said, Joss doesn't impress me in the slightest, so I have no faith that he'll do a better job than the rest. Especially considering Raimi couldn't pull it off very well :/ Him I would have had faith in, had I cared about Spiderman

Freya
12-14-2010, 04:09 AM
You didn't like the Ironman movies? Really?

I love joss. I love Toy Story and he was a writer on that. And Dr Horrible is :love:. I have a soft spot for Titan A.E and Atlantis. Of course I love Buffy and Angel but I grew up with it always being on. The fact that he's not part of a new buffy movie is heart breaking. :(

Roto13
12-14-2010, 04:41 AM
His run in Astonishing X-Men was a lot of fun.

Vyk
12-14-2010, 07:55 AM
He was on Titan A. E.? I did like that movie. Though that was more to do with my love of Don Bluth. I usually like anything he has a hand in that isn't some fever-induced psychedelic childish head-trip. (In other words: mostly just his work in the 80s). I haven't seen the second Ironman because I didn't enjoy the first one. I'm honestly not sure what it is about comic book superhero movies that turn me off. Its gotta be something about the plot or characterizations. Even the good movies don't appeal to me. Also have yet to see the new Toy Story. But honestly, unless he worked on the first two, I doubt they highly needed Whedon for it to be good. Pixar's got almost a perfect record anyway. Only movie they've made that I didn't like was Finding Nemo. Which wasn't even bad, it just wasn't my thing

I've never read Whedon's adaptations of other comics. But I have read his own comics. Fray, and that one MySpace comic about the inter-galactic rockband. Both were really good

Freya
12-14-2010, 08:18 AM
He was a writer for Toy Story 1 and Titan A.E.

Miriel
12-15-2010, 08:50 PM
I have to say that there are some shows that age well and some that don't. I'm rewatching all the Buffy seasons again and while they're still enjoyable and very often brilliant, Buffy is not a show that has aged all that well. Shows heavy on the slang and pop culture references rarely do. I think anyone who watched Buffy in its first run will almost always love it more than people who watch it today. It just doesn't pack the same punch a decade or so later.

So I wouldn't mind seeing a reboot, but not in movie form and not really without Whedon's involvment. The movie was so god awful, and the first season of Buffy was hilariously bad. Buffy was one of those shows that got better and better, the more it built on top of itself. You can't really do that with a single movie.

And I agree with Bunny, why can't they just apply the Slayer mythology on top of a new story rather than reworking Buffy? I'd definitely be interested in seeing that. I hate how so many of the Vampire shows/movies today have such weakass human females who can't protect themselves. Even Sookie Stackhouse who was supposed to be fairly intelligent and capable of defending herself is constantly screaming for BEEEEL!! Or ERIC!! HELP ME!!

Vyk
12-15-2010, 09:02 PM
I have to say that there are some shows that age well and some that don't. I'm rewatching all the Buffy seasons again and while they're still enjoyable and very often brilliant, Buffy is not a show that has aged all that well. Shows heavy on the slang and pop culture references rarely do. I think anyone who watched Buffy in its first run will almost always love it more than people who watch it today. It just doesn't pack the same punch a decade or so later

Good point. Maybe that's why it doesn't jive well with me. I only just met people obsessed with the show within the last year or so

Del Murder
12-17-2010, 06:21 AM
Buffy season 1 sucked butt, but I'm really enjoying season 3. And the latter half of season 2 was pretty good.

Bunny
12-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Even Sookie Stackhouse who was supposed to be fairly intelligent and capable of defending herself is constantly screaming for BEEEEL!! Or ERIC!! HELP ME!!

Yeah but she wasn't anything special until the last season finale and she was stuck in a world full of really messed up stuff. I would be screaming for Beeeeel or The Norseman if I were her too!

Marshall Banana
12-17-2010, 10:33 AM
I really like the first season of Buffy, because it's cheesy, simple, and kind of cute. Season two is good, too. Season three is okay. Season four is "meh." Afterward, Buffy was an increasingly awful parody of itself. I can't even watch the later seasons again without cringing.

I still like the original Buffy movie. XD I watched it a lot when I was a kid, so maybe that's why. I especially love the villains!

http://ginavivinetto.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/bvs.jpg

Roto13
12-17-2010, 02:40 PM
I've been forcing my husband to watch Buffy with me. I saw it when it aired and he's never seen it before.

The first season was pretty painful to watch a lot of the time. The last few episodes in that season were ok. The one with the living dummy was so bad and then so good right at the end. :P

When I say I'm forcing him, I kind of mean it. Season 2 is pretty good and I know it only gets better from there (Banana by name, bananas by nature) so we're actually at the point where we're both enjoying it and I don't really have to force it on him any more. :P

Raistlin
12-17-2010, 04:12 PM
I really like the first season of Buffy, because it's cheesy, simple, and kind of cute. Season two is good, too. Season three is okay. Season four is "meh." Afterward, Buffy was an increasingly awful parody of itself. I can't even watch the later seasons again without cringing.

I still like the original Buffy movie. XD I watched it a lot when I was a kid, so maybe that's why. I especially love the villains!

You prefer the first season of Buffy and the awful Buffy movie? Ok, now I know you're completely crazy.

Elskidor
12-17-2010, 04:16 PM
The cheesiness would often make me cringe enough to sterr clear from it, but I've seen bits and pieces of it all. I'm meaning to get around to rewatching it from beginning to finish is I can. I got past the cheesiness of Angel, and have watched all 5 seasons of that multiple times, but maybe it's the characters of Angel I like more than those of Buffy. Oz, Willow and most of Spike were my favorites of Buffy and Seth Green is only in it but a season or 2. I also thought Dracula could have been portrayed better and should have had an entire story arc or season rather than the one episode thing.

Madame Adequate
12-17-2010, 05:14 PM
I have to say that there are some shows that age well and some that don't. I'm rewatching all the Buffy seasons again and while they're still enjoyable and very often brilliant, Buffy is not a show that has aged all that well. Shows heavy on the slang and pop culture references rarely do. I think anyone who watched Buffy in its first run will almost always love it more than people who watch it today. It just doesn't pack the same punch a decade or so later.

Aside from the occasional episode here or there, I've been watching Buffy for the first time recently (We just reached season 7) and I've absolutely loved it completely and I don't agree with what you say here.

Roogle
12-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Personally, I liked the first season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I keep in touch with some of the fan community of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel and they seem to have a lot of issues with the way Joss Whedon controls his shows.

One instance that comes to mind is Season 4 of Angel where Cordelia Chase is revealed to be possessed by an otherworldly entity after over a dozen episodes of sporadic behavior: according to Charisma Carpenter and other sources, the events in Season 4 happened because Charisma Carpenter became pregnant and the entire storyline arc had to be rewritten to accommodate that. Joss Whedon was angry with Charisma Carpenter because of this, and Charisma Carpenter did not appear in the following season with the exception of a single episode.

To my knowledge, the overall mythos of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel came from Joss Whedon, so I think that he should have at least been involved as a creative consultant or something like that.

Marshall Banana
12-17-2010, 07:37 PM

You prefer the first season of Buffy and the awful Buffy movie? Ok, now I know you're completely crazy.
I feel no shame! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCOzKufIIzs)

The last half of the Buffy series is just... mopey, melodramatic dialogue and awkward romance that I can't stomach (XanderxAnya, WillowxTara, BuffyxSpike). Season one is full of cheesy '90s goodness! Season two has a good villain/final boss.

Edit: Oh, yeah, I forgot about Dawn. Do I even have to say it?

charliepanayi
12-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Season 5 of Buffy is second only to Season 2 in my opinion - great villain, one of the best TV episodes ever in The Body and great ending. Plus Dawn wasn't too bad (in stark contrast to Season 6). I like the last two seasons but they could have ended it there and it would have been pretty much perfect.

And only Buffy and Spike was annoying in my opinion, Xander and Anya/Willow and Tara were both great couples.

Miriel
12-18-2010, 05:26 AM
I loathed almost everything Dawn related. Although I do admit that it led to one of the best Buffy episodes ever in The Gift. But man, just thinking about Dawn annoys me.

I love Season 2 & 3, thought Season 1 was just funny in it's outrageous campy 90s-ness. And then didn't care as much about Season 4 onward, although there were individual episodes that are amazing like Season 4's Hush, Season 5's The Body & The Gift, Season 6's Once More With Feeling & Bargaining, and I really liked the Series finale too.

Yeah but she wasn't anything special until the last season finale and she was stuck in a world full of really messed up stuff. I would be screaming for Beeeeel or The Norseman if I were her too!
What I mean is that the book Sookie Stackhouse is much more intelligent and self-sufficient than the TV version. Which is a shame. It's not like she doesn't rely on Beel & Eric in the books, just that she's not as helpless as she is in the show.

Madame Adequate
12-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Season 5 was the best season of Buffy.

Also, Monda is drane bamaged if she thinks something is wrong with Willow x Tara and Xander x Anya.

DMKA
12-21-2010, 03:40 AM
I never got into Buffy but there were some gorgeous actors in it. :D