PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Clones! Zelda Clones everywhere!!

KentaRawr!
12-11-2010, 05:41 PM
I like Zelda clones! Neutopia, Crusader of Centy, Final Fantasy Adventure, I love it all!

Do you like Zelda clones too, EoFF? :3

escobert
12-11-2010, 06:27 PM
I've only played FFA of the ones you mentioned so I don't know if I do or not!

Dreddz
12-11-2010, 06:39 PM
Alundra is, for my money, better than all the Zelda games that inspired it.

Vyk
12-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Alundra was definitely the shizz. Only other one I recall was Golden Axe Warrior for Master System / GameGear. Though the play style of Zelda games like Ocarina of Time were the inspiration for most of the play style for Beyond Good and Evil. And if that's considered a Zelda clone, then it has to be the best one :}

Rase
12-11-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm not a big fan of the term "clone", but sure.

Unless we can all agree to call every FPS a "Doom Clone" now. :jess:

G13
12-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I couldn't really get into Alundra. I gave it a lot of chances too. Final Fantasy Adventure was a good one.

Roto13
12-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Just because Zelda defined the Action Adventure genre, that doesn't mean every Action Adventure game is a Zelda clone. :P

Okami is amazing.

Depression Moon
12-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Okami is amazing.

QTF. I also want to try that 3-D Heroes game.

Crossblades
12-13-2010, 12:16 AM
I like Zelda clones! Neutopia, Crusader of Centy, Final Fantasy Adventure, I love it all!

Do you like Zelda clones too, EoFF? :3

You forgot to mention Bomberman Tournament :p Which is a fun Zelda clone-type game to play

Roto13
12-13-2010, 12:18 AM
3D Dot Game Heroes really is a Zelda clone. :P

KentaRawr!
12-13-2010, 12:37 AM
I've never played this 3D Dot Game Heroes thing, but it can't be much more of a clone than the Neutopia games.

Roto13
12-13-2010, 02:43 AM
Seriously, it's Zelda 1.

http://ps3media.gamespy.com/ps3/image/article/108/1089134/3d-dot-game-heroes-20100512004038658.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2009/11/3ddgh1117.jpg

KentaRawr!
12-13-2010, 03:22 AM
Neutopia 1 has pretty much all of the items from Zelda 1 and they're used in the same way. You even find a map and a compass in each dungeon. And you bomb walls to find secret passages. :cool:

Edit: Well, wait, not quite all the items. I think there wasn't a bow and arrow, and the sword's beam ability was replaced by a fire rod you found early on, which was basically like the magic rod from Zelda 1, except how powerful it was depended on your health. Also, the bridge was also an item, but they called it the rainbow drop instead.

Flying Arrow
12-13-2010, 09:15 PM
The most obvious Zelda clones that leap to mind for me have already been mentioned in this thread. Thing is, Alundra and Okami are both pretty good games, but ultimately I feel they don't nail things as well as most Zelda games do.

For instance, Alundra is profoundly frustrating because of its stupid not-quite-overhead platforming. Sometimes I'm not even sure where the game wants me to go, but after attempting the same jump over and over I find out I needed to be standing on a specific pixel to advance. Why is this necessary? It's not a platformer dammit! The not-quite-overhead perspective even kills more than a few of the game's puzzles. And don't get me started on the bosses, which are just endurance runs forcing you to see how long you can evade and attack with awful controls. They are nowhere near the excellent patterns and strategies in a good Zelda game.

Okami, on the other hand, and I hate to say it, is mostly style. It has all the worst tendencies of modern Zelda games. Most notably, the stupid bug who hints at or outright tells you the solution to every puzzle in the game. The combat isn't difficult either, so at this point the player is just kind of going through the game instead of actually being challenged by it in any way. Boring. Oh, and having a million things to collect or revive in each new area isn't fun. It's busywork. It's pretty, but Zelda's better.

LTTP & OOT FTW.

Loony BoB
12-14-2010, 02:49 PM
I really enjoyed Alundra. It was awesome. And if every FPS is a Doom clone then Doom is a Wolfenstein 3D clone!

Vyk
12-14-2010, 03:02 PM
I wish more FPS games were DOOM clones. There's something about that formula I truly enjoy. And DOOM 64 is probably still my all-time favorite shooting game

Rase
12-15-2010, 05:28 AM
I really enjoyed Alundra. It was awesome. And if every FPS is a Doom clone then Doom is a Wolfenstein 3D clone!
No, that just doesn't roll off the tongue as well. Plus Doom causes you to kill people at random, haven't you heard?

DMKA
12-22-2010, 12:57 AM

And Wolfenstein 3D is a Halo clone.

kotora
12-22-2010, 02:27 AM
I wish more FPS games were DOOM clones. There's something about that formula I truly enjoy. And

yeah like the level design

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RIM2MAMg-DQ/TOtJuLx4mcI/AAAAAAAAA6s/-4vjzmRuYOE/s1600/fpsdesign.jpg

DMKA
12-22-2010, 03:32 AM
I wish more FPS games were DOOM clones. There's something about that formula I truly enjoy. And

yeah like the level design

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_RIM2MAMg-DQ/TOtJuLx4mcI/AAAAAAAAA6s/-4vjzmRuYOE/s1600/fpsdesign.jpg

That applies to Final Fantasy now too. :[

Vyk
12-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Hahaha ouch, that's sadly too true. Man.. No wonder retro gaming is taking off so well in a lot of communities

Del Murder
12-22-2010, 11:07 PM
3D Dot Game Heroes really is a Zelda clone. :P
Yeah it is literally Zelda 1 with updated graphics, bigger swords, and some humor. It was really fun though.

I don't mind Zelda clones in general. If there was any style of gameplay to copy, it should be that. Or Metroid. Not really sure why there are less Zelda clones and more Doom clones out there. =/

KentaRawr!
12-23-2010, 01:51 PM
Until I've played 3D Dot Game Heroes, I shall hold the belief that there is no game that could be more of a Zelda clone than Neutopia. :p