PDA

View Full Version : The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Flying Arrow
12-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Scrolling through my favourite sites while taking a break last night, I was blown clear across the room when I saw the news that Bethesda had announced ESV at the VGA.

For those who haven't seen the trailer: YouTube - The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim Debut Trailer from Spike TV's VGA 2010 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNLKLCZN8wc)

This is easily my most anticipated game of the last few years. Until last night, I was really hyped up for DX: Human Revolution and Batman: Arkham City, but now I really couldn't really care less about either.

ELDER SCROLLS.

escobert
12-13-2010, 12:51 AM
I can't wait for then next Elder Scrolls game. :D

Psychotic
12-13-2010, 12:58 AM
I am excited. I think I read something about vikings and dragons vs an undead horde? Sounds promising.

Madame Adequate
12-13-2010, 01:26 AM
I'll withhold judgment until I have details. Oblivion was stunningly mediocre, but if they can capture the magic of Morrowind, well boy howdy are we in for a wild ride.

Meat Puppet
12-13-2010, 01:45 AM
Dear bethesda

remember when you would make awesome rpgs like Daggerfall and Morrowind? Those were the days
please make your next game like that
we don't need another elder scrolls adventures title like Redguard or Oblivion

also:
fire todd howard

then I will be excited

Madame Adequate
12-13-2010, 02:27 PM
also:
fire todd howard

also:
fire todd howard

also:
fire todd howard

also:
fire todd howard

also:
fire todd howard

I am quoted this five times to demonstrate the strength of my agreement.

Yeargdribble
12-13-2010, 05:09 PM
I think if we face reality we'll admit that it's more likely that the game will be, on the spectrum, more Oblivion and less Morrowind/Daggerfall. The console yuppies whose first ES was Oblivion crooned at the wonderful graphics. The game that exploded on the consoles (ESIV) will likely cause ESV to be even more heavily console-ized and made to fit the demographic that made Bethesda a household name. That gameplay style will also be more likely.

It's just more difficult to make a Morrowind on a console. The UI is a huge hurdle. This was the same thing that happened with Deus Ex and largely demolished Invisible War.

escobert
12-14-2010, 02:15 AM
So, I played Oblivion before I played morrowind adn I found morrowind to be a much more pain in the ass to do things in. Which, made me give on the game after a very short time. Oblivion just seemed much smoother to me. However liek I said, I never played the others before I played Oblivion.

Shadowdust
12-14-2010, 07:42 AM
I prefer Oblivion to Morrowind. Anyway, I'm really excited about the news that we'll be having a new ES game at last! I guess I'll be saving my pennies in the next year so I can actually afford newer hardware. I couldn't run Morrowind or Oblivion with my old PCs back in the day when they came out. I'm sure Skyrim will be no exception. By next year, my Radeon 5850 will probably be mostly mid-range in terms of performance anyway and I want the eye candy. :p

Vyk
12-14-2010, 08:34 AM
I only played the Xbox version of Morrowind, which is ugly and slow. I've seen videos and read a lot of wiki in regards to Morrowind as a whole, and on the PC it seems it was actually a wonderfully realized game. So Oblivion is also the only ES game I've played (through). But I gotta say, originally it was astounding how much there was to do, and how big the world was. And the graphics were impressive. Originally. But these days I just can't stomach it. All the side quests are the same. All the characters have the same voice. Everything's almost too stream-lined. And lonely. Which was the original reason I quit playing. I recently tried to play again. And used a cheat for not finishing certain quests with people to keep them with me. And that was amusing, but not really any more fun. They were just silent fighters. The mod world on PC has morphed the game into something really good. But console owners don't get to enjoy that. So the game just kinda falls flat anymore. It had a lot of good ideas. But none of them are perfected the way people originally thought they were

G13
12-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Morrowind was a beautiful game in that the story was absolute perfection. The visuals not so much but I don't really care about that. I enjoyed Oblivion but, like MILF, I feel it was mediocre. Morrowind's retarded little brother. It was fun to play and had alright graphics but the story stinks, and that's a major deal to me.

Regardless of how I feel about Oblivion, I'm pretty stoked for a new Elder Scrolls.

Yeargdribble
12-14-2010, 12:44 PM
It's not that there's anything wrong with liking Oblivion more, but the games are almost apples and oranges. Oblivion is ridiculously dumbed down in comparison. To be fair, I've put far more hours into Oblivion. I love how pretty it is and I end up abusing the fast travel system. There are so many fantastic mods that every time I install it I can put 100 hours into a totally different game than the last time and still feel like I'm playing in Tamriel.

But it's s seriously watered down game. Morrowind makes me enjoy walking and exploring. There is more to see. There's more happening in the world. It's not just the same C&P grass, trees, and rocks everywhere. You can really go in different directions with conversations and finding out about things. In Oblivion there is a very specific flag you need to hit.

Oblivion is kinda like taking the Dragon Age Origins model and boiling it back down to a Fable 1 level morality system where you have an option either save the girl's cat or decorate her house with its entrails. Kinda obvious what's good and bad, eh?

Jiro
12-14-2010, 12:54 PM
There were a handful of things in Oblivion that I felt were better than in Morrowind. The only one I remember is that the journal/quest organisation was far easier to work with. However after playing a couple old text-based adventure games I suddenly love the idea of having to keep my own physical journal for the game.

I agree with the general sentiment of the thread though. If they can capture Morrowind's magic then we're set.

Loony BoB
12-14-2010, 02:23 PM
If they made Oblivion without the "enemies level up with you!" and without the "The whole world looks pretty much these same, so you don't need to explore!" then I'd be happy. Basically more like Morrowind when it comes to those two things, but everything else I'm not heavily bothered by. Then again, I never played Oblivion long enough once the portals opened because everything was exactly the same and I felt no real point in doing anything. I loved Morrowind for how learning how to walk on water would allow you access to previously unaccessable areas, etc.

Roto13
12-14-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty sure Oblivion's world was randomly generated. It definitely feels like it.

Laddy
12-16-2010, 12:26 AM
Morrowind was gorgeous. Musically, visually, and from a gameplay and plot perspective, awesome. It was deeper, prettier, and just overall magic.

Oblivion was cliche and overly simplistic. Morrowind didn't require suspension of disbelief, it did it for you. The world is one of the most vividly original and breathtaking I've ever seen. It just felt bigger and more epic.

This tune. This world. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXFmBAIcXQY)
Magic.

Yeargdribble
12-16-2010, 03:14 AM
This tune. This world. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXFmBAIcXQY)
Magic.

I love sitting around and messing with that theme at the keyboard. It rocks this really heavy dorian feel but tricks you at the end of the phrase and that subtle turn gives it so much majesty and not too much of that clichéd Renaissance sound.

Laddy
12-16-2010, 03:18 AM
It's a feeling of passion and heroism. True heroism, not recognition or fame, but courage and goodness.

kotora
12-16-2010, 04:31 PM
this thread inspired me to download Morrowind. I kinda liked Oblivion but I could never be bothered to finish it. It just wasn't that interesting anymore after a while.

Rase
12-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Hopefully whatever new engine they develop can make decent people and animations. That, along with a removal of the "monster level up" system and a bit more variety and I'll be set.

Either way I'm buying it though. I've sunk too many hours into the previous games to doubt that happening.

Vyk
12-17-2010, 12:34 PM
I'm led to believe it wasn't the engine that kept them from making good looking people. Its just how they decided to model them. I've been told there's mods and patches that make people look a lot better. Really wish I had it for PC

Meat Puppet
12-21-2010, 08:23 AM
^ It was actually the one goddamn UGLY guards in Anvil that sparked my murder spree that ran parallel to completing the storyline. It's kind of weird how you can simultaneously save and destroy the world. And I'm not even talking about some kind of alter-ego deal where I would be good by day and evil by night; I was running to destinations and murdering everything in my path. I'd even beat down the quest essential characters a few times, for good measure.

Yeargdribble
12-22-2010, 07:35 AM
I'm led to believe it wasn't the engine that kept them from making good looking people. Its just how they decided to model them. I've been told there's mods and patches that make people look a lot better. Really wish I had it for PC

Yeah, you can certainly make a vast number of improvements with some mods. It's nowhere near perfect, but you can do a lot of good. I couldn't imagine not playing it on PC. I play it 1-2 times a year and each time I start with a new handful of mods on top of my old classics. I'm up to around 100 mods. Most are tiny things just for making stuff prettier, but stuff like OOO and Better Cities make it a whole new game.

Vyk
12-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Speaking of which, the last time I played I decided it might be interesting to try it on a harder difficulty. I only put the bar up about 75% instead of trying out the most insane difficulty. And found out pretty quick, the difficulty settings are insanely broken. I guess the designers had no idea what "difficult" or "challenging" meant, so they took a boring and tedious route. Having to strike an enemy 100 times before it dies is not really difficult, its just boring and monotonous. And getting killed in 3 hits isn't really challenging as much as it is ridiculous and unreasonable. I heard there was a mod for PC that changed that, and instead of nerfing your character and putting all the enemies in god mode, it instead just added more enemies during encounters and possibly made them smarter. Now that's a reasonable upgrade in challenge difficulty. Hopefully Skyrim addresses issues like this

Yeargdribble
12-23-2010, 07:39 AM
The problem is that you are almost guaranteed to get weaker the more you level up. The only way around this is to avoid sleeping... ever. Or, judiciously count stat increases to make sure you can get +5 all of your upgraded stats at level up time.

My favorite part about OOO is the static world. There are places I will walk into and immediately get my ass handed to me by dudes decked out in top notch armor. There are also places that are reasonable at level 1. But when I hit level 5 those places will be a joke and the armor on the dudes inhabiting that place will still be crap. Meanwhile, I start to be able to explore places that scared the crap out of me when I was low level. I actually feel myself getting stronger and more able to do things in the world.

Also, there's loot in chests in the caves. If I am skilled enough to stealth through or have some other way of making my way safely into an area that's too high for me, I could potentially walk out with epic loot that is fitting to my endeavor and will serve me well for an extended period of time.

This alone makes an amazing change to the game. I suggest if you have a PC anywhere near being able to run it you keep a heads up for a Steam Sale (potentially one between now and Jan. 2) that will likely put Oblivion up for a song.

I got Oblivion for something like 7 bucks in the summer (even though I already own the box GOTYE) and got Morrowind for something like 3 bucks (also had boxed copy). It's just damned convenient.

EMX
01-01-2011, 12:43 PM
There's a healthy middle ground to be found between Morrowind and Oblivion. Morrowind felt like going out and having a big adventure. It was raw and dark and scary - around every corner it felt like you could get hurt. Oblivion was art over gameplay. It was an enjoyable game because it created a world of depth and beauty, but there was unfortunately very little depth or variation to the gameplay. If Bethesda can create another beautiful game that runs as smoothly as Morrowind then they'll be on to a winner. Oh, and no Cliff Racers. Personally though, I think they're going to get it this time. I think this is the game that will blow people away. Oblivion received a lot of criticism from fan-boys. It was a commercial success but I think Bethesda will aim for something that's both brilliant and successful this time. I'll probably play it and enjoy it either way - I enjoyed Oblivion and Morrowind, even if I preferred the latter.

Vyk
01-01-2011, 03:27 PM
I don't know.. Fallout 3 was awful bland in its atmosphere and characterizations and stuff. It seemed very much like Oblivion in those regards. Hopefully they buck the trend and take the route you're surmising

Christmas
01-02-2011, 11:30 AM
I hope this one won't hang or freeze every now and then! :(

Actually maybe it is because I installed a lot of external mods, but then again, who dun! I mean, the flying mount and stuffs!!! :bigsmile:

kotora
01-02-2011, 12:12 PM
nah the engine used by Bethesda is pretty buggy in itself

Madame Adequate
01-08-2011, 05:15 PM
I think Bethesda are just massively trolling those of us who like Morrowind now.

darkchrono
01-09-2011, 04:22 PM
I never played Morrowind but from the sound of it it seems like it concentrated more on battling then Oblivion did (where Oblivion mainly concentrated on questing and the battling was pretty simple).

That didn't bother me that much at all though since the battling is what turned me off from the MMOG and you had a difficult time getting into the quests because you had to constantly worry about leveling yourself up for monsters.

I do wonder though if the Skyrim world will be even bigger then Oblivion since on the Tamriel map Cyrodil is about twice as big as Skyrim.

Laddy
01-09-2011, 06:16 PM
No, it's just Morrowind is an all-around better game. In fact, I'd say you battle less in Morrowind.

Madame Adequate
01-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Combat in Oblivion was better. Physics was better in Oblivion. In every other respect Morrowind was better. And to say that Morrowind was less focussed on quests is ridiculous - please do play the game before you make such monumentally incorrect assertions :p

EMX
01-09-2011, 08:36 PM
Apart from the Cliff Racers, Morrowind had the number of battles just right. It was a good, fun game, better than Oblivion and with a feeling of being less 'safe'. Daedric ruins were scary and you could turn a corner and run into a Golden Saint that would mess you up. Oblivion was okay, I enjoyed it well enough but it wasn't Morrowind.

Jiro
01-13-2011, 07:04 AM
Morrowind had so many fucking quests I couldn't keep track. The Fallout games are getting praise for all these "random encounters" that they have lying around but Morrowind :bou::bou::bou::bou:s all over them.

Rase
01-13-2011, 01:29 PM
I'm digging what I read somewhere about how they are doing the leveling with you system in Skyrim, where each new area (dunno if there will be visibly different on a map or not) will make enemies that are appropriate to your level the first time you enter it and lock them to that. While this does mean you'll never wander into a high-level place and get your ass kicked (which is a little :(), it still mean you can return to places from earlier ten levels later and just lay waste and feel good for having gotten noticeably stronger. Also, this means I will make a place on the map surrounded by level 1-5 monsters, and in the middle with be level 30's.

Loony BoB
01-13-2011, 01:49 PM
I really, really, really hope that's not true. If you felt like it, you could just walk through the entire map early in the game and never be challenged ever again. That's stupid.

Talk about catering to the audience who don't want a challenge. I want to feel accomplished for finally being able to beat [tough monster]! >=( Sick of this "you can beat everyone the moment you first see them" bullcrap. There is no sense of achievement in these games anymore.

Jiro
01-13-2011, 01:53 PM
I can see the logic in this, but they'd really have to scrap the free roam aspect to make it work.

Blue Harvest
02-01-2011, 02:49 PM
I never really got into Morrowind and I love Oblivion. I'll be counting down the days until Skyrim comes out.

Madame Adequate
02-01-2011, 06:27 PM
I can see the logic in this, but they'd really have to scrap the free roam aspect to make it work.

They didn't get rid of it in Oblivion.

And it didn't work.

But this rests on the spurious proposition that Bethesda can learn from their mistakes.

Shattered Dreamer
02-01-2011, 07:25 PM
I love Oblivion so I'll definitely be getting Skyrim

edczxcvbnm
02-04-2011, 08:30 AM
I had never played Morrowind but I did attempt to play Oblivion and I just could not do it. I had played Fallout 3 and the jump backwards in terms of general gameplay was something I could not do. Simple things like stealing an item from a house immediately brought down the whole fucking world onto me. Is everyone a Seer and watching my everyone move? The guy I was stealing from was sleeping!

That and I really liked the dialog options in Fallout 3 and hated the ones in Oblivion. I know it shouldn't matter but I like to know exactly what I am saying. I was actually shocked to see basic dialog choices when games like KOTOR had full dialog options years earlier.

I am curios to see what they do with this upcoming game despite never having been a fan of the series. I am not a big fan of the medieval fantasy worlds but awesome gameplay and quests can go a long way. I hope something like the reputation system from Fallout New Vegas makes it way into Skyrim. A blatant good vs evil karma system is so boring. We need factions and an improvement upon quests affecting reputation with multiple factions. Help one guy out and get disapproval from everyone else instead of just positive for the person you helped out. A deeper use of that system would be fun and more consequence oriented.

Heck, this game might not be for me in the end anyway but I can always hope that it finally fits my taste and style. I am not so concerned about combat options or the level of monsters. Isn't that what the difficulty setting is for? Can't I just set the game to easy and have fun doing the quests and consider the combat as a means to an end?

Loony BoB
02-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Heck, this game might not be for me in the end anyway but I can always hope that it finally fits my taste and style. I am not so concerned about combat options or the level of monsters. Isn't that what the difficulty setting is for? Can't I just set the game to easy and have fun doing the quests and consider the combat as a means to an end?
Difficulty settings are fine, but I want to feel achievement when I can finally beat a monster that mauled me earlier. Sort of the equivalent of finally being able to beat a difficult enemy in a Final Fantasy game. Oblivion had it set so that when you leveled, so did everything else. I don't like that kind of game because it means every area is accessable from the start, every monster is beatable from the start, etc. That's kind of... boring. I could crank up the difficulty but I don't want every monster to be hard from the start, either.

theundeadhero
02-04-2011, 05:12 PM
I very much enjoyed being an axe-murdering lizardman during my travels through Morrowind. Afterwards, I never got into the hype of Oblivion so I never played it. Who knows what's in my future.

Flying Arrow
02-05-2011, 05:40 AM
So far everything I've heard about this game sounds excellent. I am becoming unreasonably excited.

And this had better be the complete version of one of the dragon songs: YouTube - enslaved - havenless (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWyfnp-ghaE)

Loony BoB
02-06-2011, 10:51 AM
To follow up on that, here's another YouTube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY).

Jiro
02-06-2011, 10:58 AM

They didn't get rid of it in Oblivion.

And it didn't work.

But this rests on the spurious proposition that Bethesda can learn from their mistakes.

But in Oblivion, every enemy levels up with you. It's supposed to make it a challenge, but it just fails. If they level-locked the enemies each time you entered a new area, you could just walk around the map straight from the get go and fight piss weak enemies until the end of time. Then there is absolutely no challenge. Either way, Bethesda needs to find a way to not suck ass at that.

EDIT: by just having a normal level system where as you get stronger you can go places because things can no longer rape you. It's pretty simple really. You're not limited if you're a psycho ninja that sneaks past everything, or a brute with a big axe who beats down :bou::bou::bou::bou:. I 'unno

Ultima Shadow
02-06-2011, 12:27 PM
To follow up on that, here's another YouTube link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9eGtyqz4gY).
Sums up my reaction when I first heard of Skyrim pretty well. :p

As for the leveling system, it's apparently supposed to be similar to the leveling system in Fallout 3. I've never played Fallout 3 though, so I have no idea how it works.

Loony BoB
02-06-2011, 01:00 PM
I guess you're in the same position as me. I looked up a few sites that spread that news and... none of them explained the difference. Journalism not at it's best these days!

Psychotic
02-06-2011, 01:45 PM
I smurfing hope it's not like Fallout 3's levelling system.

You're running about, merrily fighting raiders who are armed with tire irons and pool cues, laughing at their ineptness as you pump the silly banzai charging bastards with lead. After an hour of gruelling combat with super mutants in the DC ruins, you return to the Wasteland and spy more Raiders, having a jolly old time hanging out in some ruined house in the middle of nowhere, as Raiders are wont to do. "Ah ha, this sounds like a lark!" you think, looking forward to smashing some bat-wielding ponces after having fought off heavily-armed and incredibly tough super mutants for so long. Flash forward thirty or so seconds. There are bits of Charon spread within a three mile radius. You are cowering behind a dumpster with a broken leg, begging for it to stop while missiles come crashing down all around you.

in summary, when I play Skyrim I do not want to go in to grab an easy kill on a couple of mud crabs, only to find they've got missile launchers or death rays.

Psychotic
02-06-2011, 04:30 PM
You go on living in your fantasy dream world, because I've seen the future (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poWMaWJ0w6U&feature=related).

Madame Adequate
02-06-2011, 05:06 PM
But in Oblivion, every enemy levels up with you. It's supposed to make it a challenge, but it just fails. If they level-locked the enemies each time you entered a new area, you could just walk around the map straight from the get go and fight piss weak enemies until the end of time. Then there is absolutely no challenge. Either way, Bethesda needs to find a way to not suck ass at that.

EDIT: by just having a normal level system where as you get stronger you can go places because things can no longer rape you. It's pretty simple really. You're not limited if you're a psycho ninja that sneaks past everything, or a brute with a big axe who beats down :bou::bou::bou::bou:. I 'unno

Someone misunderstood someone here, because I am in total and complete agreement with this :o

I smurfing hope it's not like Fallout 3's levelling system.

You're running about, merrily fighting raiders who are armed with tire irons and pool cues, laughing at their ineptness as you pump the silly banzai charging bastards with lead. After an hour of gruelling combat with super mutants in the DC ruins, you return to the Wasteland and spy more Raiders, having a jolly old time hanging out in some ruined house in the middle of nowhere, as Raiders are wont to do. "Ah ha, this sounds like a lark!" you think, looking forward to smashing some bat-wielding ponces after having fought off heavily-armed and incredibly tough super mutants for so long. Flash forward thirty or so seconds. There are bits of Charon spread within a three mile radius. You are cowering behind a dumpster with a broken leg, begging for it to stop while missiles come crashing down all around you.

in summary, when I play Skyrim I do not want to go in to grab an easy kill on a couple of mud crabs, only to find they've got missile launchers or death rays.

Hahaha, and Fallout 3 was a massive improvement over Oblivion, too.

Unbreakable Will
02-17-2011, 01:44 PM
I'm incredibly excited for ESV, I loved Oblivion.

Yeargdribble
02-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Video Game, Debut In-Game Trailer HD | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-in-game-elder-scrolls/710872)

I cried. Seriously. When he shouted I was so emotionally overwhelmed that a chill went down my spine and spilled over into tears.

Ultima Shadow
02-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Video Game, Debut In-Game Trailer HD | Video Clip | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/debut-in-game-elder-scrolls/710872)

I cried. Seriously. When he shouted I was so emotionally overwhelmed that a chill went down my spine and spilled over into tears.
I... freaking... came.

kotora
02-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Meh still looks too much like Oblivion. I hope they at least reworked the gameplay.

Loony BoB
02-25-2011, 06:44 PM
The humanoid monster seemed a bit stiff. I'm glad that there are at least three different kinds of terrain rather than the two we experienced in Oblivion. The shout seemed kind of boring to me, personally. Perhaps that's because I was expecting more based on what was said by Yearg. :p

I like the look of the terrain but not the creatures. But I'm sure it'll look better when I play it, and even better after the mods come out.

Yeargdribble
02-25-2011, 09:13 PM
I think it was just extremely well put together, like the Dead Island trailer, but perhaps more effective mostly because it is more representative of the game (as in there's actually in game footage). From a reductionist standpoint, yeah, it's a lot like Oblivion, but I expected as much. It still raises hair on the back of my neck. The music is the biggest part of it for me.

Unbreakable Will
02-25-2011, 10:03 PM
...I just had the most satisfying nerdgasm upon watching that trailer. :bigsmile:

Loony BoB
02-26-2011, 09:25 AM
The music is the biggest part of it for me.
Ahahahaha, I couldn't listen to it without thinking of that YouTube video/song. "...and goodbye girlfriend's breasts ;_;"

Ultima Shadow
03-01-2011, 06:20 PM
I've been watching the trailer like 12 times a day for the last couple of days, and it's just as epic every time. I... can't... wait!!! =(

Vyk
03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
That trailer was loads better than the teaser that was available on XBox Live. Even though they started the same. The game footage looks good in here. That humanoid monster looked like a troll or something. Considering they showed archery, I hope they fixed up the archery mechanics so you don't get raped for using it in higher difficulties. And again I re-iterate, they need to re-think how they handle difficulty adjustments. And I'm not a graphics whore, but I was pleased with what I saw of the world

Iceglow
03-02-2011, 02:11 AM
I always saw archery more as a stealth attack if you're an assassin class character (or a good set up thief) to use from a distance but once the element of surprise was gone it's on to close quarters weaponry.

The only other usable use for archery in Morrowind or Oblivion imho was hunting wildlife that wouldn't fight back.

Yeargdribble
03-02-2011, 02:32 AM
I always saw archery more as a stealth attack if you're an assassin class character (or a good set up thief) to use from a distance but once the element of surprise was gone it's on to close quarters weaponry.

The only other usable use for archery in Morrowind or Oblivion imho was hunting wildlife that wouldn't fight back.

I think used a mod to fix that (maybe Stealth Overhaul) and I could easily be a stealthy guy that could shoot and then slip back into the shadows quickly. Made a world of difference in making the game fun.

Laddy
03-02-2011, 02:39 AM
I felt Oblivion lacked some soul both in gameplay and "experience," so I'm hoping Skyrim ameliorates that.

The trailer was good, though. Not Yeargdribble Now Believes In God good, but good.

Christmas
05-20-2022, 02:34 AM
Yes, a Skyrim thread!!! Slaughter the townfolks, download the brothel mods & jump off the mountains! Let the mayhem begins!! :bigsmile:

Quindiana Jones
05-20-2022, 02:17 PM
I'll withhold judgment until I have details. Oblivion was stunningly mediocre, but if they can capture the magic of Morrowind, well boy howdy are we in for a wild ride.

Nearly 12 years on, but I have bad news for you :D

Christmas
05-20-2022, 02:45 PM
Oblivion was relatively average I would said. Those weird faces still scare me. :(

Spuuky
05-21-2022, 04:10 AM
The one (and only) thing I will say in Skyrim's defense is that at least it was better than Oblivion.