PDA

View Full Version : So, what exactly was wrong with simply "Soul Edge II", "Soul Edge III", etc?

MJN SEIFER
12-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Soul Edge (or Soul Blade as it was later renamed in some countries) is the first game in the Soul Calibur series, SoulCalibur is really Soul Edge II, SoulCalibur II is actually Soul Edge III, and so one. I never really got that, it would be like having one "Tekken" and then calling Tekken 2 onwards something completly different (btw, it's the same company).

I get that both Soul Edge and Soul Calibur are supposed to be important swords in storyline, but for the most part the majority of characters are still after Soul Edge in one way or another, and in all games except SCIV Soul Calibur doesn't put in an appearance until the very end.

kotora
12-13-2010, 12:59 PM
"Soul Calibur" sounds more edgy I guess

Roto13
12-13-2010, 02:44 PM
When Soul Calibur was in development, it was supposed to be more of a spinoff than a sequel. There were only supposed to be a few returning characters, though almost all of them ended up appearing in Soul Calibur 1. (Minus Li Long.)

Really, Soul Calibur just plays really differently from Soul Edge. That's enough reason to make it its own series.

Oh, also, the fact that Tim Langdell decided that he owned the word "Edge" and started suing everyone who used it in anything. :P

Vyk
12-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Also the original had two names itself. It was also called Soul Blade, so the argument could also be "Why not Soul Blade 2"? But yeah, like Roto said. That's why most of the original characters were hidden and unlockable. Though I don't know why they wanted to do that in the first place. The original was really good. For a PS1 fighter. Kinda laggy. Sucked having to be almost psychic to counter a move. But it was fun, and set the groundwork for its predecessors very well

JKTrix
12-16-2010, 11:18 PM
Oh, also, the fact that Tim Langdell decided that he owned the word "Edge" and started suing everyone who used it in anything. :P

These jokes do not work here! I guess it's why I come here less.

Roto13
12-16-2010, 11:27 PM

These jokes do not work here! I guess it's why I come here less.

It's not a joke! Edge Games - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_Games#Other)

Jessweeee♪
12-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Soul Blade was the second PS1 game I ever played, and I didn't realize it was the same thing as Soul Calibur for the longest time. I didn't know it was ever Soul Edge!