PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy IV + The After Years Go To PSP

Crossblades
12-13-2010, 03:17 PM
RPGFan News - Final Fantasy IV + The After Years Go To PSP (http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2010/783.html)

Final Fantasy IV has a lot of incarnations. It was released on the Super Famicon (SNES) in 1991, was one-half of the Final Fantasy Chronicles (the other half being Chrono Trigger) on the original PlayStation, saw a Game Boy Advance port and most recently, saw a Nintendo DS remake. If THAT wasn't enough, more recently a sequel, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years - originally a cell phone title - was released in episodic format on WiiWare.

If for some strange reason you haven't played FFIV yet, or want to play a fifth incarnation of it AND play The After Years, Square Enix's longtime classic and its sequel are now headed to the PlayStation Portable as one bundle. Square Enix is touching up the graphics and adding a chapter that will link up the two, and is set for a springtime release date in Japan. No announcement for North America yet, but unlikely that Square Enix USA will pass this one up.

Now all we need is for the game to come out on Xbox Live, and I'll have seen it all.

Roogle
12-13-2010, 10:35 PM
I heard about this. I noticed that the magazine scan had some enhanced imagery of Baron Castle and its city on the overworld map, but, other than that, I see no evidence of any changes to the games themselves.

Elpizo
12-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Will it be a port of the DS, or a 2D port with upgraded sprites like FF I and II anniversary editions?

VeloZer0
12-14-2010, 01:34 AM
Will it be a port of the DS, or a 2D port with upgraded sprites like FF I and II anniversary editions?

My question as well. Though I would think a 2D port, as converting the After Years to FF4 DS graphics is a little more than 'touching up'.

Interesting none the less, as this is probably the only possible way I will ever play the After Years.

ShinGundam
12-14-2010, 04:28 AM
FF4 Complete handled internally with sprites like FF1 and 2 and 3D effects that might be on bar with TO PSP. Any gameplay additions which is likely will be announced in Famitsu.

Wolf Kanno
12-14-2010, 07:55 AM
Just heard about this, I'm intrigued but question whether it will even get a release beyond Japan. Then again, SE has been awful generous of late. The question I have to ask myself is whether I really need another version of FFIV, and whether the answer to that question is going to be enough to convince me not to buy it. :eep:

Vyk
12-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Wow, I'm almost convinced Square loves this game more than its fans do :}

Yar
12-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Lets see I have this game in two languages for the SNES, had the horrible port for the PSX, and I have it for the GBA and DS.

Do I need it again with those GOD AWFUL graphics?? No. I don't. I love this game, but no.

Roogle
12-14-2010, 06:37 PM
I will pick up this game if there are any enhancements rather than a direct port. I was a big fan of The After Years.

Elskidor
12-14-2010, 10:07 PM
I was clueless on how to play The After Years, so this is good news for me. I think it's funny how many releases FF1 and FF4 have, and I'm getting pretty dang impatient for my FF5/6 revisits, but this will fun anyway. I am starting to think one of the top dogs on Square is obsessed with 4. Hell, can't blame them, but a new ff6 release better be here by it's 20th anniversary or I'll..I'll..'I'll throw a tantrum and be mad a bit longer.

Wolf Kanno
12-15-2010, 07:19 AM
IV is actually one of the more popular entries in Japan from what I've heard. It's apparently up there with VII and X for the Japanese fans, so I'm not terribly surprised.

Elpizo
12-15-2010, 12:03 PM
I believe in a poll once, it was the 6th most popular RPG (so not only FF) in Japan. To my great, pleasant surprise, III was 8th, and awsomely enough VI wasn't even in the top ten. :D VII and X were in the top five.

Roto13
12-15-2010, 05:51 PM
I believe in a poll once, it was the 6th most popular RPG (so not only FF) in Japan. To my great, pleasant surprise, III was 8th, and awsomely enough VI wasn't even in the top ten. :D VII and X were in the top five.

That sounds like the dumbest list ever.

Elpizo
12-15-2010, 07:20 PM
Sounds good to me. No VI in the top 10 is brilliant, the game doesn't deserve it in any way, III gets the recognition it deserves, and IV scores high as well. Sure, X is a terrible game and VII merely average, and the lack of V and IX in the top ten is dissapointing, but hey, at least people over there have the brains to realize III belong in the top 10 of best RPGs ever. That's an achievement in itself.

Elskidor
12-15-2010, 09:48 PM

That sounds like the dumbest list ever.

Ditto.

Elpizo
12-15-2010, 10:56 PM
Seeing as neither give any reasons for that, we shall just ignore that.

Elskidor
12-16-2010, 03:39 AM
Was it an RPG poll or a Final Fantasy RPG poll? I am having a fun time replaying X after the better half of a decade, but so far I couldn't rate it in my top 10 RPGs of all time, and I wouldn't put VII there either, but I know 7 will get it's spot in any top 10 list due to the fan base. If FFIII is in a top ten Final Fantasy list it's is easily doable, but if ranked with all the other RPGs out there it gets beat out by most of it's own series so I can't see it making it in a top ten beyond that. No beef with the game at all, but overall I just don't think you can have a top ten list with 3,4,7 and 10 all being in it and 6 not being. It's just kinda comical to be. I'll go on a limb and suspect half the people who voted for FFIII on that particular poll were confused and thought they could be voting for SNES' FF3. Still curious if it was an FF top ten or a ton ten RPG of all time though.

Fynn
12-16-2010, 07:07 AM
If the list contains no VI, IX or XII, it is irrelevant to me... But lists are a stupid thing. These things are always subjective and all statistics do is lie.

Wolf Kanno
12-16-2010, 07:10 AM
Let's try to stay on topic people, I don't need this turning into a needless "VI is overrated cause I'm a hater" and "VI is super special awesome cause I'm a fanboy". This thread is about FFIV so stay on topic cause I'm snipping any posts not exclusively about the FFIV port from this point onward. :colbert:

Elpizo
12-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Was it an RPG poll or a Final Fantasy RPG poll? I am having a fun time replaying X after the better half of a decade, but so far I couldn't rate it in my top 10 RPGs of all time, and I wouldn't put VII there either, but I know 7 will get it's spot in any top 10 list due to the fan base. If FFIII is in a top ten Final Fantasy list it's is easily doable, but if ranked with all the other RPGs out there it gets beat out by most of it's own series so I can't see it making it in a top ten beyond that. No beef with the game at all, but overall I just don't think you can have a top ten list with 3,4,7 and 10 all being in it and 6 not being. It's just kinda comical to be. I'll go on a limb and suspect half the people who voted for FFIII on that particular poll were confused and thought they could be voting for SNES' FF3. Still curious if it was an FF top ten or a ton ten RPG of all time though.

It was a Japanese famitsu poll, so no, III =/= VI for them. III = III and that's that. It was also a top ten RPG, if I recall correctly. Also remember the Japanese got III when it first came out and when it was still a revolutionary game, unlike us who had to wait 17 years to get it officially released in the west. We've got no nostalgia for the game, they do.

Sorry Wolf, I just had to correct this, but I'll leave it at that now. Just straightening out some facts, no fanboyism. No harm in that, I hope.

To get back in topic, if they go the 2D route, it seems so ironic to me that the DS gets all the 3D remakes and the PSP gets all the 2D ones. That's just messed up.

Fynn
12-16-2010, 08:53 PM
I hope they keep the DS graphics, maybe update them a little. While I found FFI and II's quite charming, I feel this would be a step back. Though, from the screens I've seen, the After Years are getting a I/II treatment, so I get a bad feeling... Then again, they might as well have been fake.

Crossblades
12-16-2010, 09:28 PM
Some scans I found. It definitely looks like they're getting the I&II treatment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/ff4cc_psp2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/ff4cc_psp.jpg

Elpizo
12-16-2010, 09:28 PM
That's kind of dissapointing, considering what the PSP is capable of. Seems like an attempt at quick buck to me. I'm not saying it's bad, IV's a good game, but even with TAY, it doesn't scream "effort!". Fun for the PSP owners who don't have IV yet, I guess, but not the game that'll make people buy a PSP. Unless those scans are only for TAY (which is possible). We'll have to wait for more info, I guess.

Will we ever see full 3D remakes of the first six, I wonder? It would be more fun than constant 2D upgrades, IMHO. The DS remakes in 3D for me proved that the early games can work in 3D, so why not in full console 3D? Maybe on the 3DS, for V and VI.

Crossblades
12-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Where can these screens be found?

You and I posted at the same time it seems :p I posted the scans

Elpizo
12-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Yeah, I was asking the White Wizard. :D

Fynn
12-17-2010, 06:37 AM
I just followed the link Wolf gave, and then some link there. Anyway, bummer. I guess I won't be getting this, since the DS version looks superior, and if I get a wii, I'll be able to play TAY anyway.

Roogle
12-17-2010, 06:36 PM
A newer article on this release says that there will be a new chapter to link Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy IV The After Years together. A chapter in Final Fantasy IV The After Years is roughly one to two hours of gameplay, so it looks like there will be a small amount of new content.

The translation should be improved slightly as the WiiWare release had flashbacks with the Nintendo DS script despite not having a similar script style itself, so characters would speak eloquently in flashbacks and speak colloquially in the present time.

ShinGundam
12-18-2010, 03:06 AM
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/jf11/titles/ff4cc/images/image1.jpghttp://www.square-enix.co.jp/jf11/titles/ff4cc/images/image2.jpg
????????2011 | SQUARE ENIX (http://www.square-enix.co.jp/jf11/titles/ff4cc/)

Elskidor
12-18-2010, 03:22 AM
Sweet pics!

Elpizo
12-18-2010, 12:54 PM
Rydia looks hot as always. How does she do it? :p
And Holy Dragoon Kain's cool.

There's just one problem: that looks fine for a GBA game, not a PSP one.

ShinGundam
12-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Direct feed :
http://i55.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/bdtxrs.jpg
http://i53.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/14b7sz7.jpg
http://i53.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2dkffqu.jpg
http://i52.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/cuf7r.jpg

Elpizo
12-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Well, it looks sharp, nice and clear, I suppose. Probably going to be the best 2D version of IV we're going to get.
Makes me wonder if the Lunar Trials will be added to this version again, or any bonus content at all (aside from TAY).

Crossblades
12-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Trailer

YouTube - PSP FINAL FANTASY IV Complete Collection (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgnIQo99mU8&feature=player_embedded)

Vyk
12-20-2010, 03:13 PM
For some reason those graphics heavily remind me of Sega Saturn RPG games. The light transparency in text boxes was pretty common there

Elpizo
12-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Trailer looks nice. Now why can't they remake the game in the style of the FMV shown in the trailer? It would look so good, and be a different experience altogether than a prettier 2D IV or even from the DS 3D version. XD

Elskidor
12-20-2010, 08:39 PM
I wonder if the psp intro cinematic can top DS' intro. That has to be one of the most epic intros for a game ever. Every time I see it it pumps me up ready to play FFIV all over again.

Evastio
12-21-2010, 01:05 AM
I'm really psyched up for this. If only I had a PSP. Yeah, I know that FFIV, along with FFI, FFII, and FFVII have been getting a little too much attention from Square Enix, but seeing how The After Years was Wiiware only outside of Japan, it's good to see that they're trying to expand it to other consoles. In addition, I really like the detailed sprites that the PSP versions of the old FFs have, since it maintains a good balance of the classic FF feel while taking advantage of the superior capabilities of the PSP.

...if only I could find a clear picture of Paladin Cecil's battle sprite (non After Years).

I'm really curious as to if they're going to include all of the After Years' Chapters, the bonus dungeons of FFIV Advance, and perhaps give Cecil a downloadable costume for Dissidia Duodecim.

Bastian
12-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Gorgeous new graphics!

Great, so I need to get the graphics improved version of Secret of Mana for iPhone (which I don't have) and now this FF IV upgrade for the PSP which I also don't have. :P The things I'll do for retro gaming.

Actually, I was going to get the PSP for Ys 7 and Ys I & II Complete anyway...

I do have to say, though, that as gorgeous as these improvements are, I would rather have them spent time on doing a complete remake for the Wii or PS3 or even the 3DS. But that's absurd, I know.

Red Hero
12-26-2010, 11:55 PM
While part of me is interested because it's FFIV, part of me is annoyed because...it's FFIV. We've played this game how many times now? And good grief, I will flip if Square relocalizes the script a fifth time for the US.

That, and it feels like a slap in the face to people who shelled for TAY, in its entirety, on WiiWare. Since you're getting it, the original, AND redrawn sprites and bonus content for around $40, which is also what the WiiWare one just about costs if you get the whole game.

It also confounds me that Squeenix shows apparently no love for the other 16-bit FFs, instead rehashing IV AGAIN.

Elskidor
12-27-2010, 12:39 AM
While part of me is interested because it's FFIV, part of me is annoyed because...it's FFIV. We've played this game how many times now? And good grief, I will flip if Square relocalizes the script a fifth time for the US.

That, and it feels like a slap in the face to people who shelled for TAY, in its entirety, on WiiWare. Since you're getting it, the original, AND redrawn sprites and bonus content for around $40, which is also what the WiiWare one just about costs if you get the whole game.

It also confounds me that Squeenix shows apparently no love for the other 16-bit FFs, instead rehashing IV AGAIN.

I agree with this too. FFIV is right next to VI for me, and I've always loved the game but I really hope VI gets a full blown ps3 game remake for be ignored again and again. FFV and FFVI were suppose to get the loven after IV and not umm errr IV AGAIN! Atleast they didn't jump the gun and begin project FFVII remake......yet.

Bastian
12-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Well, it IS the 20th anniversary. And FFIV deserves it. It is absolutely my favorite FF game and exemplifies everything I love about FF. And TAY was pretty darn good as well. It will be fantastic to see these two games (and the new connecting chapter!) with these new glorious graphics.

However... I have to say I would rather they have done something completely different than redrawing these sprites for the THIRD time. For instance: a full 3D remake for the Wii or 3DS. Or something with a brand new style, like cel-shaded based on Amano's art.

Roogle
12-27-2010, 06:56 PM
I am not sure if Square Enix even has the ability to do a full scale remake of an existing Final Fantasy title right now. Their development times are far longer than what they used to be, and one of the officials of Square Enix claimed that it would take up to ten years to remake Final Fantasy VII with high definition graphics like Final Fantasy XIII. I am not sure if I believe that, but I think their overall attitude is to try and make smaller titles rather than the larger productions of the past.

Red Hero
12-27-2010, 07:35 PM
A remake of a 15+-year-old game isn't a resource drain. FFV and VI wouldn't need graphics like Advent Disappointment; maybe models like the FFIV DS remake but with higher poly counts and some gameplay tweaks. I s'pose the big hurdle with V is the job system...but III also had one and got a full remake! FFIV is great and all, but Squeenix neglects V and VI. Even I and II get more attention from them.

Rase
12-27-2010, 08:07 PM
I've never been a fan of this style of graphics. Didn't like it for FFI/II, not a fan of it here. Or well, already have the game four times, that's good enough for me.

VeloZer0
12-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Of everything they could have done, upgrading The After Years to FF4 DS level would have been my preferred choice.

Elskidor
12-28-2010, 03:05 AM
Even I and II get more attention from them.

Which is pretty confusing. I understand FF I being the original and a fun little game, but FF II is one of the weaker titles, and doesn't have a large fan base backing it up. It's a better game than a lot of others, but as an FF title it's not in demand by the majority of fans.

Crossblades
12-28-2010, 04:13 PM
JP release date announced and a special bundle

RPGFan News - Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection Gets A JP Date (http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2010/854.html)

Just two weeks after announcing the Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection for the PlayStation Portable, Square Enix has already set a Japanese release date... and a special bundle. This latest version contains the original game with updated graphics, The After Years sequel and a scenario which connects the two. An Ultimate Pack includes the game, a guidebook, a soundtrack CD and an original book all tucked away inside an Amano illustration-themed box. This edition runs for 9445 yen ($114.58 US), with the regular UMD costing 5980 yen ($72.54 US) and the download version 4980 yen ($60.41 US).

Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection will be released in Japan in all three forms on March 24th. This latest port has not yet been announced for North America, but fans shouldn't worry too much - surely, it'll come.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/Crossblades/ffiv-u.jpg

Roogle
12-28-2010, 06:21 PM
If Square Enix were to release a Final Fantasy title on the main consoles, then they would undoubtedly have high definition graphics like Final Fantasy XIII. It appears that anything less than that is being sent to the DS or the PSP which explains their large number of handheld titles compared to console titles as of late.

Bastian
12-28-2010, 06:30 PM
I guess that bundle sounds KIND of interesting... but not really. A guide? Who needs a guide to that game anymore? If you're buying this bundle chances are you know the game forwards and backwards. I guess the soundtrack will be interesting since it will be newly arranged with new instrument samples. I wish they would orchestrate the score and do that in-game or at least for the included CD.

The Amano artbook has me intrigued, though. But not for $115. :/

Dignified Pauper
01-01-2011, 02:05 PM
This game looks gorgeous, and I would totally buy it if I had a PSP. This looks far better than the DS remake, though, I assume they will leave out the abilities they added in the DS and keep it more faithful to the original, but those are such good sprites and tilesets.

Wolfen
01-07-2011, 09:13 AM
Any reason they skipped III?

Elpizo
01-07-2011, 01:57 PM
Tradition?

Hollycat
01-07-2011, 03:43 PM
they REALLY need to just forget 4+afteryears and make a 3 in english, there are already somewhere around 5 remakes of 4. and they are all pretty much exactly the same. also, they put adds on the box for the ds saying how it had great cgi cutscenes. there was ONE and it wasnt a cutscene, it was an intro. samething with anneversary 1+2

ShinGundam
01-08-2011, 07:25 AM
Tradition?
It is Tokita's tradition as producer/director of this game to remake it on every portable system :p while Tanaka don't seems care about FF3 :confused:

Elpizo
01-08-2011, 11:06 AM
they REALLY need to just forget 4+afteryears and make a 3 in english, there are already somewhere around 5 remakes of 4. and they are all pretty much exactly the same. also, they put adds on the box for the ds saying how it had great cgi cutscenes. there was ONE and it wasnt a cutscene, it was an intro. samething with anneversary 1+2

There was a III in english, on the DS. :p But if you mean a 2D remake of III in english, I fully agree.

Tradition?
It is Tokita's tradition as producer/director of this game to remake it on every portable system :p while Tanaka don't seems care about FF3 :confused:

Which is a shame, since in Japan III is a highly loved FF game. In one poll of Famitsu, it came out on the 8 place of favourite RPGs, and it was the 5th or 4th (I don't recall exactly) FF in the top 10 (IV came in the place above it, VII and X made the top 2). So III really deserves more love.

Hollycat
01-08-2011, 07:23 PM
4 really was kind of lame to me, I liked 5 much better, and 6 better than that, and all the 3-d ones are better than 6 except 8... and x-2

Hot Shot
01-11-2011, 06:22 PM
I often think that SE milk VII for all it's worth but at least they are adding more to the story. Save for the after years, SE aren't adding much to the overall game, they're just doing ports. Having said that, I don't own a wii and i need to get a new psp anyways. This (alongside dissidia duodecim and 3rd birthday) gives me more reason to get another one.

Wolf Kanno
01-11-2011, 08:10 PM
^ I'm actually on the opposite end of the spectrum from you, the stuff they added to the VII compilation really mucked up the games world and designed and I often felt like SE weren't even trying to keep all the stories in line with stuff the main game actually spoke of and that's why I felt it was poorer than better.

While SE is certainly milking IV they have at least tried to keep the basics in place. My main issue with After Years is that I seriously never felt like it was necessary. IV ended beautifully and I never saw a reason to make a sequel to it and as I play through it, I have yet to be presented with a reason beyond making money off of IV fans who desperately wanted to see the cast again.

As for the PSP collection, I've decided I'll let it pass, I really hate the new cartoony sprites they used like the ones from the PSP versions of I and II. The spell effects don't look as cool either, but maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy who thinks it was damn good back in the old days and didn't need to be fixed in the first place.

Roogle
01-11-2011, 11:19 PM
I agree, Wolf Kanno. Final Fantasy IV ended conclusively with the events in its ending and there seemed to be no indication that there would be a need or a reason to return to that world from a storyline perspective. Final Fantasy IV: The After Years does seem overly gratuitous especially in its last chapter in which the full cast of characters go up against every single boss from the original game followed by various bosses from Final Fantasy to Final Fantasy VI.

I would prefer the storyline of games to be made with a sequel in mind whether it eventually lives up to it or not rather than a story tacked onto a complete, conclusive story.

Hot Shot
01-14-2011, 01:07 PM
That's a good point Roogle, but I still think that SE were being very ambitious with their most successful title (although a bit) and are trying to expand the story. I'm personally not a big fan but I do like the VII compilation. If SE had all of this in mind when they made the first one I'm pretty sure the compilation would be amazing. It was kinda stupid going back to game several years after it was released. And, unfortunately, this was after the end of SE 'Golden Era' (Post FF X).

Hollycat
01-14-2011, 06:53 PM
How about putting the whole of ff7 series into one revamped game!

Bastian
01-14-2011, 11:35 PM
TAY does feel a bit... tacked on... But it's still enjoyable. And the ending is a bit of a shocker. Yes, the addition of all of those previous bosses from various FF games feels a bit much, but at least there is a perfectly logical reason for it. Besides, it makes it feel as if finally all the FF games are connected in some way. Or at least all the "old school" FF games. I had geeky giggles of fan-ish-ness when those bosses spoke of the other FF characters and stories.

I'm really looking forward to this new "bridge" chapter.

Hell, I would play ANOTHER game set on this world using the exact same dungeons if need be. Just so long as it either took place during KluYa/FuSoYa's time or millenia after TAY where Cecil and the rest are but legends.

Hollycat
01-14-2011, 11:46 PM
I hopee they add costume changes. That'd be sweet

VeloZer0
01-15-2011, 01:59 AM
I feel one of the reasons the 'golden age' (as you put it) FF titles were so good is because they created them as stand alone titles that were completely self contained.

IMO the idea that they can just create sequels or just tack on to an existing work is leading to lazy writing.

Hollycat
01-15-2011, 03:11 AM
i remember when the gamesa used to feel sooooooo long, but now they feel soooo short. except 12, which may be too long

Bastian
02-01-2011, 11:30 PM
I just bought a PSP in preperation for this... Yes, I'm that obsessed with FFIV.
Okay, that's a lie. I also bought it for Ys 7.

black orb
02-06-2011, 04:59 PM
>>> Cool, more Princess Luca goodness now for my PSP..:luca:

Depression Moon
04-16-2011, 04:13 AM
A Conversation With the Creator of Final Fantasy IV from 1UP.com (http://www.1up.com/features/final-fantasy-iv-creator-conversation)

What's So Great About Final Fantasy IV, Anyway? from 1UP.com (http://www.1up.com/features/whats-great-about-final-fantasy-iv)

Bolivar
04-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Been playing this for a few days and I have to admit I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The most amazing aspect is that the complete, original score is available in the menu, SNES filters and everything, to play through the game with. I like leaving it on for a while but when I go back to the new arrangement... it's hard to go back. I'm a purest, I'll always love FFIV as it was, but the new arrangement is amazing.

The press kit I got says that it's in high-definition. They may be using some stretch of the term for that, but it does look amazing. I was really skeptical because I didn't particularly like the I & II PSP remakes, even though I didn't play through them, but I'm totally loving the new style here. Seeing how detailed the castle walls are is insane, and having little effects like shadows, rays of light in open towns, and all the little things is crazy. The PSP has a great screen and it really comes through here with how amazing the battle effects look, especially stuff like Fira. I don't think watching a youtube vid could do it justice.

I don't know for sure if it's the best version. The GBA was my first and I think I'll always like it the most because it really just is a tuned up SNES version. But this is really giving it a run for its money.

I haven't tried The After Years (never played before) or the Interlude but I'm looking forward to them. I don't know if I would buy this if I didn't get a review copy, but at $30 and 2 extra games, it's a pretty great deal.

Yar
04-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Not surprisingly, this PSP remake is as hideous as the other two.

It looks like it was made in RPGMaker or something. My eyes are actually bleeding.

Hollycat
04-23-2011, 11:18 PM
I just went ahead and put the ds version on my psp. yes you can do that.

VeloZer0
04-23-2011, 11:36 PM

It looks like it was made in RPGMaker or something. My eyes are actually bleeding.
I don't have much to add to this.

Roogle
04-24-2011, 01:03 AM
The press kit I got says that it's in high-definition. They may be using some stretch of the term for that, but it does look amazing. I was really skeptical because I didn't particularly like the I & II PSP remakes, even though I didn't play through them, but I'm totally loving the new style here. Seeing how detailed the castle walls are is insane, and having little effects like shadows, rays of light in open towns, and all the little things is crazy. The PSP has a great screen and it really comes through here with how amazing the battle effects look, especially stuff like Fira. I don't think watching a youtube vid could do it justice.

Well, which is it? It doesn't sound like the two of you are talking about the same game.

VeloZer0
04-24-2011, 01:51 AM
I don't know about Justy, but for me it is a reflection of the art style, not the quality of graphics.

Yar
04-25-2011, 06:34 AM
Yeah basically. Just look at the characters faces in the menu.

...ummm what?

Kaie
04-30-2011, 03:00 AM
If they keep doing this, they might as well make all the pre-FFVII games look REALLY good by might as well re-release them on the PS3 :love:

Bolivar
05-01-2011, 03:38 PM
Yeah basically. Just look at the characters faces in the menu.

...ummm what?

Are you talking about playing the actual game or looking at screen caps on the internet? Because I was real dismissive of the PSP ports, but seeing the way it's presented on the PSP screen it looks great, even artistic wise. The combat effects especially, casting a spell like Firaga on all enemies looks like water is cascading across the battle screen.

Those character portraits are pretty ugly, though. I think they're different from the GBA version, which were actually pretty good. Not sure why they did that. Maybe to bring it more in line with the After Years style? Isn't a new Character Designer/Art Director now? The portraits look more like the chick who did the DS designs, and not Amano, which I admit is pretty sad.

Goldenboko
05-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Square literally knows how to always, always, always steal my money. I'll be purchasing this game. ;-;

Bolivar
05-04-2011, 09:14 PM
Just started The After Years, feel kinda bad for writing it off, I'm fairly impressed so far.

Roogle
05-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Just started The After Years, feel kinda bad for writing it off, I'm fairly impressed so far.

Yes, the plot may leave something to be desired, but it is thematically similar to its predecessor in nearly every way.

Wolf Kanno
05-05-2011, 04:50 AM
TAY definetly brought in some great gameplay tweaks, I love the moon mechanics and the bands. Some of the new cast members are a pleasant surprise as well. One of the only things I'm curious about with the PSP release is whether it toned down the difficulty curve cause hot damn if TAY didn't mind showing you who was in charge. Challenge Dungeon can sometimes be an understatement. :D

Roogle
05-06-2011, 12:06 AM
As far as I know, the game remains unchanged from its WiiWare incarnation in terms of gameplay.

Ceodore's Tale and Kain's Tale have been unbundled, so the first time player is no spoiled to some plot twists throughout the game. It allows the player to access Ceodore's Challenge Dungeon. Also, a new boss was added, but I don't have any information on it.

Hollycat
05-06-2011, 01:33 AM
um... i dont know if it will be on there, but psn should be up in the next 36 hours

black orb
05-07-2011, 07:18 PM
>>> Out already? LOL, I`ll get this game after I get bored of Dissidia, and that doesnt seem to happen soon so you wont be able to steal my money yet SE..:luca:

Bolivar
05-09-2011, 05:23 PM
it may not be back up until May 31 (http://www.warpzoned.com/?p=7320). But it is available on the Store.

Hollycat
05-10-2011, 01:44 AM
doesnt that just grind your gears, you should make a thread about it

Evastio
05-10-2011, 04:27 AM
The new superboss is Lost Babil. It's a failed prototype of the Giant of Babil
that went berserk after completion. The battle consists of three parts (chest, head, core), and you need to construct three parties as a result. To face him, you need to go to ??? on the moon, talk to a purple Namingway (you can also apparently talk to one of the Namingways here and do Challenge Dungeons, so they're no longer lost forevers like in the Phone and Wiiware versions), pay him 500,000 gil, and you get 3 Silver Apples and 2 Soma Drops for winning all three fights (as well as whatever experience and gil the boss parts give). There's a youtube video of it here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVlrmLfAke4).

Though the maker of the youtube video said that the battle is rather easy, I think they did that because they want to account for the fact that most people won't have 15 well trained characters, since it's not as important to train all your characters as it in, say FFVI.

Hollycat
05-10-2011, 04:26 PM
thats not new....
wait, Im thinking protobabil arent I

Roogle
05-11-2011, 10:24 PM
The new superboss is To face him, you need to go to ??? on the moon, talk to a purple Namingway (you can also apparently talk to one of the Namingways here and do Challenge Dungeons, so they're no longer lost forevers like in the Phone and Wiiware versions), pay him 500,000 gil, and you get 3 Silver Apples and 2 Soma Drops for winning all three fights (as well as whatever experience and gil the boss parts give).

What is the deal with the reward? Silver Apples and Soma Drops are not impossibly difficult to come across. 3 Silver Apples and 2 Soma Drops only equates to +150 HP and +20 MP which is around the amount of HP and MP gain per level for some characters. Really, they should have just given another power up like the Dualcast ability for beating Doomgaze. The game is nearly finished at that point, so why not put a sweetened reward in rather than forcing the player to pay 500,000 Gil to get 3 Silver Apples and 2 Soma Drops. The only characters that those items would make any noticeable difference on are FuSoYa and Tellah, and they cannot make use of it because they are not in the game aside from brief chapter appearances.

Bolivar
05-13-2011, 09:22 PM
the end of TAY is such a dungeon crawl, and definitely not the good kind

Roogle
05-13-2011, 10:16 PM
the end of TAY is such a dungeon crawl, and definitely not the good kind

I agree. I am really glad that they tried to commit to a new storyline scene between all of the characters traveling down the dungeon every few floors or so, or else it really would have become unbearable similar to Pharos Lighthouse in Final Fantasy XII.