PDA

View Full Version : Distance edumucation

Peegee
12-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Even when I try to talk about something semi-serious it has to be in GC cuz omg hobbitseeeex

*ahem* so anyway I'm looking at college distance education courses (because universities teach you experience and college teaches you practical application) - course prerequisites aside, it doesn't tell me I am limited to x amount of courses at a time (there is a 120 day course 'timeline' where I need to complete the course though).

Given that - and because a lot of you are super duper smart, if there were suddenly no limitation to how many courses you can concurrently enroll, how many courses would you take at a time? 6? 7? 10?

I'm hoping I can finish some courses super fast, like in a month, and then I can focus on the courses that (lol) actually challenge me. lol....

(TBH this entire debacle is just so I have a piece of paper justifying my experience)

desudesu desudesu desudesu desudesu desudesu desudesu
masu masu

Juliebrenna
12-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Taking alot of courses at one time is difficult, not only because you have to live too, but focusing on too many <a href="http://eyesonff.com" style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255) ! important; text-decoration: none ! important;cursor:default ! important;">specific courses</a> at once will inhibit your focus on any one <a href="http://eyesonff.com" style="color: rgb(255, 255, 255) ! important; text-decoration: none ! important;cursor:default ! important;">individual</a> class.

Jessweeee♪
12-13-2010, 06:35 PM
Slightly off-topic, but do you know what I hate? Courses that only count half of the time you actually spend in class. I spend three hours a week for one course and it's credited as one, forcing me to take more classes I don't need and have no interest in and spend more tuition money to satisfy a degree requirement. How does that work? :nonono:

Peegee
12-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Slightly off-topic, but do you know what I hate? Courses that only count half of the time you actually spend in class. I spend three hours a week for one course and it's credited as one, forcing me to take more classes I don't need and have no interest in and spend more tuition money to satisfy a degree requirement. How does that work? :nonono:

How does that even work? I have a hard enough time understanding the concept of half credits (this course is worth 0.5 credits - you need 30 credits to graduate; so you have to take another course to make up the 0.5 credit you missed) - is it the same/similar thing?

Shlup
12-13-2010, 11:30 PM
I usually took extra courses anyway. Even though there's a cap on how many units you can take a semester, you can get permission from your admissions person or whatever to go over that limit. I often did double course loads so that I could get two BA's in five years.

To be fair, though, I am a highly independent learner and my majors were both easy subjects.

I Took the Red Pill
12-14-2010, 03:47 AM
It depends on the courses in question. I'm taking four math classes next semester; any more than that and I think my head might actually implode.

Rodarian
12-14-2010, 06:52 AM
I usually took extra courses anyway. Even though there's a cap on how many units you can take a semester, you can get permission from your admissions person or whatever to go over that limit. I often did double course loads so that I could get two BA's in five years.

To be fair, though, I am a highly independent learner and my majors were both easy subjects.

The first time round I did back to back courses and I completed my requirements in three years.

Second round I took it easy and did the four years...But yes I understand Jess's plight of taking courses which are friggin time consuming , only to be counted as one credit.:mad2: