PDA

View Full Version : Another Final Fantasy Tactics please

Yar
12-14-2010, 02:21 AM
But don't change anything too drastically k thx. :jess:

Maybe include a multiplayer option where you can fight over an Internet connection with friends or other people! :eek:

Vyk
12-14-2010, 07:58 AM
I'm pretty sure they did that in the PSP re-release of the original :} So I'd imagine it'll be standard fare now

Roto13
12-14-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm thinking Final Fantasy Tactics A3 will be a 3DS game.

Hollycat
12-14-2010, 06:07 PM
I'm pretty sure they did that in the PSP re-release of the original :} So I'd imagine it'll be standard fare now

The remake suks balls.
It is actually less fun than the original.
TA was good though

VeloZer0
12-15-2010, 02:10 AM
I would be really looking forward to a FFT2, not FFTA3. I can't say I enjoyed the TA games, so another entry doesn't mean much to me. (Not that I doubt it will happen).

That said, I don't really care about FFT2 being a full console release, just something more in line with the original.

Vyk
12-15-2010, 02:41 AM

The remake suks balls.
It is actually less fun than the original.
TA was good though

From what I read all they did was add stuff, other than the cut-scenes I was under the impression everything else was left the same. For better or worse. They didn't even fix the slow-down of spell animations and stuff according the review I watched on it

VeloZer0
12-15-2010, 03:08 AM
The PSP remake is what added the slowdown. Gameplay is identical, they just added some FMVs, and changed a bunch of names. There are also new items and multiplayer stuff. (Most of the new items are from multiplayer)

Wolf Kanno
12-15-2010, 07:52 AM
The port (its not really a remake) of FFT does have some obnoxious slowdown when you use certain attacks (usually big stuff like spell swords and high level magic) and it sadly did away with the occasional incantations for some of the abilities.

What it offers:

A re-translation and localization more faithful and accurate to the original. (Hokuten and Nanten are finally translated)

Animated cutscenes with full voice acting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Jhr9kikuNQ&feature=related)

Two new job classes (Dark Knight and Onion Knight)

Multiplayer mode

Additional story events (Actual closure to Beowulf's story, as well as a rematch with a certain well hated character...)

Two new optional characters to recruit (Luso and Balthier)

New equipment and abilities (Mostly exclusive to Dark Knight, though several pieces of equipment from FFXII were lifted like the Mirage Vest)

Removed the JP trick and made some minor changes to parts of the game (JP cost is back to the original, in the U.S. release it is apparently lowered cause we don't have patience. It's also impossible to steal some items in the story mode, like the Genji Gear)

Overall, I felt the port was excellent. Yes it has the obnoxious slowdown but after awhile I stopped noticing cause I don't use too many of the abilites that are affected anymore.

As for the topic, I'm down for an actual sequel to the original Tactics. I've had my fun with TA but the series does too many things that bug me and I realize these elements will never go away. I also feel the original Tactics deserves a proper sequel though I may be in the minority when I say I would prefer it not to be about Ramza. Instead focusing on a new character and scenario while just taking place in the same time period as Ramza. I've kinda realized sequel work better if you don't let the old cast reprise as starring roles but rather as backdrop characters or secret goodies. :cool:

VeloZer0
12-15-2010, 01:05 PM
As much as I love Ivalice, I would be perfectly content with them creating a completely new world, in the style of traditional Final Fantasy sequels.

The port (its not really a remake) of FFT does have some obnoxious slowdown when you use certain attacks (usually big stuff like spell swords and high level magic)
Really? I thought the slowdown affected everything. Just shorter moves like regular attacks weren't as noticeable because the animation doesn't take as long.

Biukin
12-15-2010, 10:37 PM
The Slow Down Feature Was The Only Thing I Didnt Like Of The Remake The FMV's Were Pretty Sweet and Also The New Characters Like Balthier Was F:save::save::save:ing Sweet

Roto13
12-15-2010, 11:06 PM
I can't think of a single action that doesn't cause slowdown besides standard attacking and moving. The PSP port of Tactics is really annoying to play. The slowdown sucks the fun right out of it. Especially if you use calculators/mathematicians.

Wolf Kanno
12-16-2010, 07:13 AM
I seriously don't remember the slowdown beyond the sword skills and a few spells and abilities. :confused:

Vyk
12-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Would it help to run the game from the memory stick? PSP games have an install-type feature don't they?

Elpizo
12-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Isn't the father of Ivalice, Matsuno, gone from SE now? He wasn't involved in TA2 either, and that game was such a letdown compared to the excellent TA. I'm not sure where this confidence a FFT2 without him can do the original justice is coming from, to be honest... :(

Vyk
12-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Was he also in charge of the Front Mission games? I've never played one for some odd reason. But I hear the first couple were some pretty good strategy games. And if he didn't make them, then somewhere inside Square someone still knows how to make good strategy/tactical games. Also, wasn't Bahamut Lagoon a little strategic? I've never done more than dabble in that game, but I remember some strategy. Unless he was involved in that too. But regardless, Ivalice based tactical games aren't the only good ones out there. Its definitely possible someone could do something worth while

Wolf Kanno
12-16-2010, 04:24 PM
Would it help to run the game from the memory stick? PSP games have an install-type feature don't they?

It doesn't feature an install option. I think Dissidia was the first SE game to use that trick though FFT could have used it more.

Isn't the father of Ivalice, Matsuno, gone from SE now? He wasn't involved in TA2 either, and that game was such a letdown compared to the excellent TA. I'm not sure where this confidence a FFT2 without him can do the original justice is coming from, to be honest... :(

It's true Matsuno is no longer an employee of Squenix but SE has hired him as a freelancer to come back and work on the Tactics Ogre Remake/re-imagining, so I feel it might be safe to say he could be hired on to work on another Ivalice title.

Roto13
12-16-2010, 05:14 PM
I don't see how TA2 can be considered a let down compared to TA. It uses most of the same gameplay mechanics except all of the annoying stuff is gone. All of it. Dispatch missions that force you to fight without key party members, laws that contradict the goal of the mission, prison, stat reducing penalties, etc.

Unless you're a story whore, in which case, just don't be.

Elpizo
12-16-2010, 06:44 PM
I happen to like TA's laws and dispatch missions. I liked everything about TA, and all I liked was stripped away in TA2.

Good story? TA2 didn't have one. The thrown together mess that tells you nothing doesn't count as a story. Few characters were developed or fleshed out at all, some were just there. Adelle probably was the most interesting, and even she was handled so badly it ain't even funny.

Laws? A useless optional thing, and more often than not you end up breaking them anyway because you don't care. The laws in TA were great. They represented the unfairness of Ivalice's system, with the queen and prince having absolute control over the laws. Every time that judge gave you a card, you knew you could blame Remedi and Mewt for your troubles. Laws in TA were both a gameplay thing as a political story thing. In TA2, they were dumb. And I know nobody will agree with me.

Music? Few new tracks. Most recycled from TA or FF XII. If I wanted to hear that music, I'd play those (better) games.

Only thing TA2 improved upon was probably graphics, and more balanced classes. The addition of slopes made battlefields more realistic and pleasant to the eye. At the same time, I disliked the big influence XII had on this game. The bazaar, ultimate weapon (Tournesol) were all ripped right out of XII. Same with the Espers. What's the difference between Espers and summons? Prettier animation. In TA, they were Totema, and totally different entities all together. In TA2, they were summons, had no story purpose whatsoever and basically, were just there. Kind of like everything in the game.

It's passable to play, but the entire game screams mediocre, unlike FFTA (my first FF game, so I guess I'm biased) which I consider a little underrated masterpiece. I see it as a mistake to set TA2 in XII's Ivalice, it makes it more a (bad) XII-sequel than a TA sequel. People complained FFTA was kiddy compared to FFT. Well, in that case, FFTA2 was for toddlers.

I know everybody's going to disagree with me anyway, so if you're going to bring out the big guns to say I'm wrong and you're right and that TA's laws sucked and the stuff, please don't. It won't get either of us anywhere, since I'm not going to change my opinion. Let's just leave it at this. I know why people think TA2 > TA, and I can see where they're coming from, but I don't agree with it. At all. That's all there is to it.

Vyk
12-16-2010, 07:18 PM
I haven't played either. But even though you may be biased or nostalgic, you argued all your points pretty well. Even if they're just personal preference, you're not just blindly loyal to your first game. You have your reasons

Roogle
12-16-2010, 08:28 PM
If I remember correctly, the multiplayer function in Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions cannot be played over the Internet like the opening post requested. To my knowledge, Square Enix has not yet created a title with online netplay with friends over the Internet rather than requiring the person to be in the same room.

VeloZer0
12-17-2010, 12:42 AM
I haven't tried it, but shouldn't it work with AdHock Party? Quite a pain in the ass, but theoretically doable.

(For those of you who don't know what that is, it essentially connects your PSP to your PS3 using WiFi, then your PS3 must be hardwired to the internet [as WiFi is connected to PSP] and you can then play PSP games with people also connected to the same service.)

Elskidor
12-17-2010, 08:02 PM
We need a new Tactics game as bad as we need a new Chrono game. Not a quick tossed together prequel, sequel short play either. Hmm.. maybe they could just Make A quick Chrono Tactics game and merge the old teams from the originals.

VeloZer0
12-18-2010, 02:15 AM
...Chrono Tactics game...
My friend and I had a discussion about this a few years ago, mainly pertaining how I would probably keel over and die from overexcitement upon reading about this.

In all truthfulness though, I don't think SE has the capability of making a game that lives up to Chrono or FFT. I would much rather them do nothing than make a sub par entry to crush my soul.

El Sid
12-21-2010, 08:55 PM
I happen to like TA's laws and dispatch missions. I liked everything about TA, and all I liked was stripped away in TA2.

Good story? TA2 didn't have one. The thrown together mess that tells you nothing doesn't count as a story. Few characters were developed or fleshed out at all, some were just there. Adelle probably was the most interesting, and even she was handled so badly it ain't even funny.

Laws? A useless optional thing, and more often than not you end up breaking them anyway because you don't care. The laws in TA were great. They represented the unfairness of Ivalice's system, with the queen and prince having absolute control over the laws. Every time that judge gave you a card, you knew you could blame Remedi and Mewt for your troubles. Laws in TA were both a gameplay thing as a political story thing. In TA2, they were dumb. And I know nobody will agree with me.

Music? Few new tracks. Most recycled from TA or FF XII. If I wanted to hear that music, I'd play those (better) games.

Only thing TA2 improved upon was probably graphics, and more balanced classes. The addition of slopes made battlefields more realistic and pleasant to the eye. At the same time, I disliked the big influence XII had on this game. The bazaar, ultimate weapon (Tournesol) were all ripped right out of XII. Same with the Espers. What's the difference between Espers and summons? Prettier animation. In TA, they were Totema, and totally different entities all together. In TA2, they were summons, had no story purpose whatsoever and basically, were just there. Kind of like everything in the game.

It's passable to play, but the entire game screams mediocre, unlike FFTA (my first FF game, so I guess I'm biased) which I consider a little underrated masterpiece. I see it as a mistake to set TA2 in XII's Ivalice, it makes it more a (bad) XII-sequel than a TA sequel. People complained FFTA was kiddy compared to FFT. Well, in that case, FFTA2 was for toddlers.

I know everybody's going to disagree with me anyway, so if you're going to bring out the big guns to say I'm wrong and you're right and that TA's laws sucked and the stuff, please don't. It won't get either of us anywhere, since I'm not going to change my opinion. Let's just leave it at this. I know why people think TA2 > TA, and I can see where they're coming from, but I don't agree with it. At all. That's all there is to it.

YAY! I FOUND JOO!
umm yeah, I agree, TA2's laws were hollow - the story I forgive them due to deadlines being :bou::bou::bou::bou:.
But TA2 was TA, for idiots.

(and balanced classes? I digress, ninja/seer, red mage/summoner w/ bloodprice, heritor, mastermonk/defender, Parvier/White Mage are all just nasty, and all seeq/gria are piss weak).

sure the all mighty sniper / assassin thing was removed, but a lot more problems were added.
you couldn't lose any unit in TA2, hell even dying in battle's a task - at least in TA the enemy had use of the op :bou::bou::bou::bou:.

yeah nope, TA>TA2.