PDA

View Full Version : Exam Topic Help

Shiny
12-14-2010, 08:15 PM
So, I have an exam term paper to write, and I'm not entirely sure what externalization means in regards to a piece of Literature we read. I'm sure if I knew what it meant I could apply the definition to the text. I tried merriam webster and other dictionary sites, but they don't really give a clear-cut definition.

kotora
12-14-2010, 08:46 PM
wiki: Externalization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Externalization)

basically it means taking something and then applying it to something outside

like how people are unable to make a proper argument, and then take this inability outside themselves by putting up straw men that misrepresent the view of the opposite side

Depression Moon
12-14-2010, 08:50 PM
Externalization is like putting the non physical into physical form. Say you have an idea for a paper that you're excited about. Putting it onto actual paper or typing up, is taking that internal thing and placing it outward where it's visible. Another example is having a deep love for someone that you have no problem spending the rest of your life with. Proposing to that person is externalizing that emotion.

Shiny
12-15-2010, 04:54 AM
kotora: I try to read everything you say, but my brain immediately refuses to when you start sounding like Raistlin. Come back and try again. But thanks anyway, for linking me to a wiki article which is totally not something I could find myself on the first page of Google.

Depression Moon: So it's essentially taking an emotion and reflecting it outwardly in our actions?

Depression Moon
12-16-2010, 12:06 AM
Yes. An emotion or an idea.