PDA

View Full Version : CD-I Games Going On Virtual Console for the Christmas Season

Evastio
12-15-2010, 04:19 AM
...no, not really. And even if they did, people would only buy and play them for the lulz.

Now before you guys threaten to "toast" me, tell me to get off of your cloud, say "you dare bring some light on the CD-I games?!", or tell me that "I must die", let me at least say what the thread's topic is.

I know it's generally accepted that the CD-I Mario and Zelda games were awful. But, in what kind of way do you find them awful? Do you find them "funny" awful with the cutscenes, or do you absolutely despise them and don't even think they're good for laughs or youtube poops?

For me, it's definitely the former. There's just so many amusing and ridiculous lines. Plus, Gwonam happens to be my most favourite Zelda character of all time (Squadala!!). Though that's mostly because of his lines, he has a turban, and because I hardly even like the Zelda series.

Vyk
12-15-2010, 07:54 AM
I'm with you. They were a hilarious un-intended insult to the franchise and probably the fans. I'm not sure what the creators were smoking, but if you're going to make a bad game, that's how you make a bad game. Make it the worst piece of humorous trash you possibly can. Unfortunately not enough people even know these games exist. The Nerd did a review of all of them that was pretty in depth. I'd never waste the money on them, or bother trying to hunt down a worthwhile emulator and spend the time downloading the games. So its nice to get a taste of them without having to get my hands dirty :} Good for youtube pooping and going MST3k on

Evastio
12-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Agreed. Though I really wonder if they could actually be deemed "good" by fans, by tweaking the gameplay mechanics, controls, and the cutscenes.

Actually, maybe keeping the cutscenes intact would be a better choice in order to maintain the "charm" of the CD-I Zelda and Mario games. I mean, you can't have Nintendo CD-I games without spaghetti, toasters, dinner, and dodongo bombing.

Vyk
12-21-2010, 04:21 AM
I'm sure its possible. The concepts aren't completely broken. Its like the only two games in the franchise where you get to play as Zelda. I kinda liked the one with live actors. But of course it was horribly done. Controls and loading times would need some major re-working, and the rest of it would need tweeked out the wazoo. But I'm sure it'd be possible to mold them into something enjoyable

It'd be funny if someone did it, and treated them like the new Monkey Island remakes, where you can switch between new and old, on the fly, so people can see how horrible they were originally