PDA

View Full Version : TRON

blackmage_nuke
12-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Tron Legacy was brilliant, great music and choreography as well as stunning visuals. Mind is still blown so cant formulate a more detailed response. Plot itself wasnt exceptionally spectacular but everything was presented so well throughout i could ignore it.

Only let down was Bit wasnt in it except for the figurine.

Opinions?

Bunny
12-17-2010, 08:53 AM
This seriously looks like a terrible movie.

JKTrix
12-17-2010, 02:51 PM
3 hours 'til I'm watching this in IMAX3D. Less excited about the 3D. More excited about the Daft Punk.

Already have the soundtrack.

blackmage_nuke
12-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Im not into the whole 3d thing but the 3D in this movie was done really well, certain scenes gave an amazing sense of depth rather than just things jumping out at you (though there were a few of those but they werent forced)

Depression Moon
12-17-2010, 07:20 PM
How does it compare to the original?

Shlup
12-17-2010, 09:16 PM
I keep hearing this is a great movie. I thought the original was completely unwatchable though, so I have no interest in seeing it. Even after hanging out at the Disneyland Tron nightclub, which was awesome.

The music is cool though.

blackmage_nuke
12-17-2010, 11:15 PM
The original has aged badly and I dont like it that much myself, so in my opinion this movie is a massive improvement.

And i cant believe you guys listen to music from a movie before watching it, thats like spoilers to me.

NorthernChaosGod
12-17-2010, 11:55 PM
I keep hearing this is a great movie. I thought the original was completely unwatchable though, so I have no interest in seeing it. Even after hanging out at the Disneyland Tron nightclub, which was awesome.

Disneyland has a Tron nightclub!? How do you get in????

DMKA
12-18-2010, 04:46 AM

You sell your soul to Cinderella and Pocahontas on the corner of Main St in front of Frontierland.

I kinda wanted to see this movie until I realized that it's sequel rather than a reboot, and well, I didn't like the original Tron at all. That followed by the reviews all pretty much agreeing that everything about the film aside of the masterfully done 3D sucks discouraged me from going to see it tonight.

The fact that Daft Punk is in it, and that they did the soundtrack (their first new material in ages) may just be enough to make me still see it though. :p

Ouch!
12-18-2010, 05:40 AM
The soundtrack is absolutely brilliant. Critics are tearing the plot, though, but viewer reviews are generally favorable. Seems to me to be another typical disconnect between critics and fans where they cannot take the step back and say, "Well that was fun."

I'll be seeing it soon.

Freya
12-18-2010, 06:21 AM
I heard it was a reboot not a sequel. o.o

I wanna see it soooo bad. But that's because i've come to the opinion that anything Jeff bridges is in, I'll love. Plus come on Daft punk did the soundtrack!

blackmage_nuke
12-18-2010, 08:04 AM
There are some movies you watch for plot and some movies you watch for immersion and Tron:Legacy has brilliant immersion. I guess I understand why so many people love James Cameron's Avatar now (though i still dont like it).

I should really stop since i might be overselling it though

G13
12-18-2010, 09:06 AM
I'm a huge fan of Tron. The plot might not have been the best but the concept captivated me. Tron: Legacy has made me an even bigger fan.

If you've seen the first then a lot of the stuff going on will make sense. I saw it with a kid who had never seen the first and he missed every throwback to the original. It's not imperative to watch the first but it might improve your viewing pleasure.

I don't want to spoil anything so I'll just say that even if you think it looks mildly interesting you should go and see it.

Shlup
12-18-2010, 09:45 AM

It's actually in Disney's California Adventure, which is the park attached to Disneyland. The one that serves booze.

It was outside; an entire "land." I assume they're gonna stop doing it soon. Maybe. It's pretty popular.

JKTrix
12-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Worth it for the experience, like Avatar. Story/plot (or at least the execution of it) was underwhelming, but I already had low expectations for that. They refer to things that happened in the extended universe, like the comics and video game leading up to the movie. Overall, it was miles more entertaining than the first movie, which really wasn't that hard to do. It's a fun ride.

At the beginning of the movie (IMAX3D) it says 'Parts of this movie were shot in 2D and were meant to be in 2D. But please keep your glasses on the whole time.' The 3D was pretty decent when it was used, but I don't know if I can recommend going 3D over 2D. IMAX only does it in 3D anyway, and I wanted to see it on that big screen.

Also it was surprisingly violent--I mean I know 'they're not real', but for a PG rated Disney movie seeing people get dismembered and stuff was kind of shocking.

People concerned about it being a 'sequel' are doing it wrong. Don't go for the story.

NorthernChaosGod
12-18-2010, 10:36 PM

It's actually in Disney's California Adventure, which is the park attached to Disneyland. The one that serves booze.

It was outside; an entire "land." I assume they're gonna stop doing it soon. Maybe. It's pretty popular.

That is amazing, I have to go. I love you.

Shlup
12-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Saw the movie in 3D. It was about what I expected... pretty boring. Seeing youngified Jeff Bridges was really cool though. I was kind of mesmerized by that aspect.

The way Jeff Bridges said "Yeah" kind of sums up why he's one of my favorite actors.

DMKA
12-19-2010, 03:08 PM

Oh god I want to go.

Now that I think about it, California Adventure opened right before I moved and the couple times I've went back to CA I've never went yet. ;_;

Ouch!
12-20-2010, 05:20 AM
As others have said, if you're seeing it for the plot, you're seeing it for the wrong reason. That said, I thought the plot was still relatively well done and interesting enough to keep the movie going. The pacing was solid throughout, and I was never bored.

I went for light cycles and disc death matches. I was not disappointed.

Necronopticous
12-20-2010, 06:12 AM
At one point I put the hood on my jacket over my head because I was so embarassed to be sitting in that theatre. I went expecting disappointment, but nothing could have prepared me for what was on that screen.

Madame Adequate
12-20-2010, 05:23 PM
>see Tron for the plot
>mfw

:lol:

Shoeberto
12-20-2010, 05:27 PM
I liked it. One of the best hacker movies I've seen. Amazing visuals.

CG Jeff Bridges was too uncanny valley, though. They could've played it off had they made it seem like ONLY Clu was CG by some plot element, but they kept re-using it in place of actual Jeff Bridges for flashbacks. It was too creepy.

DMKA
12-21-2010, 03:28 AM
>see Tron for the plot
>mfw

:lol:

>talking greentext style when not on 4chan
>mfw

:stare:

Madame Adequate
12-21-2010, 03:40 AM
>complaining about talking greentext style when not on 4chan
>not complaining about text not actually being green
>mfw

:monocle:

Marshall Banana
12-22-2010, 09:57 PM
It could not have been more soulless and ridiculous. Oh, my God.

I am in awe. Jeremy told me everything that happens before I even watched it, but I still...oh, my God. I feel tortured.

Shlup
12-22-2010, 09:58 PM
By "everything that happens" you mean he told you "nothing of interest happens for almost two hours," right?

Marshall Banana
12-22-2010, 10:04 PM
No, he told me the ending and everything. =O

Seeing the original Tron is a must, man. It's so stylistic and awesomely awesome and cheesy and fun to watch.

G13
12-22-2010, 10:07 PM
This thread makes me :nonono:

Rase
12-23-2010, 07:21 PM
I had fun and enjoyed it. May also be a technophile now thanks to Olivia Wilde.

Shadowdust
12-24-2010, 07:58 AM
I saw it yesterday evening. I really enjoyed it. Like some people said, the plot isn't the most complicated but you don't watch Tron for the plot. I agree with blackmage_nuke about the whole immersion thing. That's what Legacy gave and the plot is simply there to help drive the movie forward. These kinds of movies are simply about sitting back and enjoying the ride. Besides, the original Tron was inspired by Pong, so how much story could you expect. xD

blackmage_nuke
12-31-2010, 01:03 AM
Seeing the original Tron is a must, man. It's so stylistic and awesomely awesome and cheesy and fun to watch.

Are you implying TRON: Legacy wasnt stylistic and cheesy? Because it had more style and cheese than you could shake a stick at (and awesome too)

Marshall Banana
12-31-2010, 01:26 AM

Are you implying TRON: Legacy wasnt stylistic and cheesy? Because it had more style and cheese than you could shake a stick at (and awesome too)
It's stylistic, but not in the same way that the original is. In Tron: Legacy, the grid is more reminiscent of a city in the Star Wars prequels; and some of the programs look more like programs you'd see in a sequel to The Matrix -- neither of which are good role models!

Also, Tron: Legacy takes itself very seriously. It's completely serious!

Rye
12-31-2010, 01:43 AM
Only reason to see it is for Quorra. Hucucucuucguogogughhhhh~~~ ;o~~~

Shorty
12-31-2010, 01:48 AM
She is a badass and I love her. <3

also, does anyone else hate seeing Jeff Bridges without shaggy, unkempt hair and a beard? Because I do.

Marshall Banana
12-31-2010, 02:00 AM
Only in CG form. His mouth doesn't move right. :stare:

He's really adorable in the original! He reminds me of Jeremy a bit in the beginning of Tron. :flirt:

blackmage_nuke
01-01-2011, 04:15 AM
Also, Tron: Legacy takes itself very seriously. It's completely serious!

What? Tron took it self a lot more seriously than Legacy. I think its just easily mistaken for humour becuase its aged so badly. Legacy was full of whimsy and fun for the sake of fun.

Marshall Banana
01-01-2011, 04:34 AM
Nah.

I Took the Red Pill
01-07-2011, 07:10 AM
yeah it was pretty bad lol.

Hollycat
01-16-2011, 03:22 AM
I just went and saw tron in Imax, and although I liked the movie, the Imax gamve me motion sickness, the first time I have ever had motion sickness. the ending of the movie

really fails in comparison to the rest of the movie, and also that wasnt really a spoiler, but you should know, that neither is this

Brunettepudding
01-16-2011, 04:27 PM
I saw it a couple of nights ago. While it all seemed really cool, and the story was touching and everything, I couldn't handle the 3D aspect of it. I got motion sickness, too.

NorthernChaosGod
01-16-2011, 08:28 PM
I forgot to post in here. I saw it a while ago in IMAX 3D and it was fucking awesome. I don't think the movie would have been the same in 2D, it really was quite a visual spectacle. The story was pretty cool, but not great. I still really liked the movie though. :jess:

I saw it a couple of nights ago. While it all seemed really cool, and the story was touching and everything, I couldn't handle the 3D aspect of it. I got motion sickness, too.

Poor baby.