PDA

View Full Version : Do you like the direction FF games are going?

Rocket Edge
12-17-2010, 03:20 PM
With the release of Final Fantasy XIII, we seen the game break away from a lot of things associated with a typical FF game. I've yet to play FFXIV, so I can't comment on that. Do you think the games are getting better for these changes, or do you think the games before XIII were better?

Fynn
12-17-2010, 03:50 PM
It's kind of hard to say, because of the directions said changes can go to are very different. Compare FFXII and FFXIII. I have not played the latter, but people say it's they're vastly different compared to each other. Personally, I kind of like the fact that essentially each entry is different, though I can't say there's one clear direction where the series is headed.

Flying Arrow
12-17-2010, 04:17 PM
^ Yes. The 'directions' are so erratic that it's hard to pinpoint an actual direction at all. XII and XIII are so vastly different. Not to mention they are punctuated by MMOs. Since X, there really hasn't been a 'direction'. Hell, even X was a huge shift from IX, while IX itself was a huge shift from VIII. I'd say the last time the series felt like it was following a direction was in the VI-VII-VIII days when it seemed like the series was slowly evolving each piece from the previous game (combat, graphics, setting, characters, etc). I'm in the vast minority here, but IX let me down a bit - I liked how Square was slowly modernizing the settings.

Rocket Edge
12-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Maybe I should have inputted - the linearity & battle system that FFXIII brought.

Fynn
12-17-2010, 06:54 PM
I can't make an opinion on that, since I haven't played the game. Yet, from the screens from Versus and all the details we got up till now, we can safely assume, that even the approach to this game's style differs. So, generally, with FF it's like this - hate this FF? No worries! Wait for the next installment - it'll be totally different! :D

Levian
12-17-2010, 08:23 PM
There's one similarity between FFXII and FFXIII at least, more automated battle sequences. I definitely don't like that direction.

Yar
12-17-2010, 09:23 PM
There's one similarity between FFXII and FFXIII at least, more automated battle sequences. I definitely don't like that direction.

Yeah, games that want to play themselves. What a snoozefest.

The reason I love the older ones is because there are so many meticulous details that you yourself are responsible for. Final Fantasy V and Tactics are two of my favorites because of this. (Also, with more customization comes a great amount of replay value.)

In the two most recent entries, you don't even get to tell your characters what to do. Believe it or not, I don't mind if I have to hit "Attack" over and over again. At least I'm the one in control.

ShinGundam
12-17-2010, 09:40 PM

Active time battle system is semi-realtime turn based, the more realtime it gets the more you need to Ai-partner.

VeloZer0
12-18-2010, 02:10 AM
I think one of the problems with the series is it lacks direction, so this is a somewhat flawed question.

Anything they changed or kept the same for one entry does not constitute direction for the series.

Jiro
12-18-2010, 02:15 AM
The newer entries are falling flat compared to older ones. It's almost impossible to compare them but I'm less than amazed.

Bolivar
12-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Yeah XII, XIII, and XIV are so different it's hard to call out a direction. I kind of wish they would have kept going where XII was heading, but such is life I guess.

As far as Rocket Edge's question on XIII's direction, I like the game, but I prefer the older ones much more. It's like people have been saying about the automated combat in the last few posts.

I feel RPGamers are different from other gamers. We like a lot of control in our games. I honestly want to have a battle menu, within which i can sort my own abilities, spells, and items (actually that's another thing I like about White Knight Chronicles, especially getting to name your combos!). I personally want a return to that, but it's not going to happen so I'll just keep myself content with other RPG's and merely "enjoying" the next Final Fantasy.

Elpizo
12-23-2010, 05:27 PM
I didn't mind XIII, and XII is one of my favourites, but if XIII is any indication of where the series is going, I think I'd quit the series. I wouldn't mind another pure classic entry on a next gen console. Random battles, ATB, worldmap... Golden Sun: Dark Dawn proved to me that such kind of RPGs are still amazingly fun to play, and another FF in that style as the next entry would be great fun, and a nice change of pace.

I know it'll never happen, especially with all those random-battle haters out there in the world. Go play Dark Dawn and see how fluid and fast it actually is. If FF did it like that, I doubt many would mind the RB.

Remon
12-26-2010, 12:58 PM
No.

Bolivar
12-28-2010, 02:40 PM
You just kinda sold me on the new Golden Sun, Elpizo.

Wolf Kanno
12-28-2010, 07:38 PM
I don't feel there is anything wrong with random battles but then again I never cared. I've seen both handled awful so as long as you avoid that its good.

I feel NeoCracker pretty much hit this on the head, the issue with XIII's linearity is that its freaking obvious and the only choice is going forward. In reality the only true options the player is given in the game is having to manually upgrade the stats and choosing A.I. scripts for the battles. There is no exploration, there are no minigames, no optional dungeons or boss fight... nothing until you get to Pulse

By the time you get to Pulse most people are bored and frustrated with the game. Past FF titles were not this bad. Sure the series as a whole is mostly linear but not to the extent that most people claim it to be. Its possible to go out of order and skip sections of the game in FFI and III. IV and V both had several locations and dungeons that were completely optional, VI's entire second act is left to the player to choose what order the events transpire, VII had mini-games and a few optional areas to shake up its linear design and both VIII and IX have quite a bit of optional content to explore if you actually just stop for a moment and get off the ride known as the "plot" and just looked around a little bit. So I would argue that while the storylines for most of the FFs are linear and set in stone, I would argue the gameplay isn't and that's what's missing from XIII.

This isn't about creating options to let the player really mold the story and cast to their liking. This is just about being able to stop the plot occasionally and blow off some steam elsewhere in the game world. To be able to let the player feel like they have a bit of control and let them actually get out there and see the world for themselves instead of having the plot spoon feed them content. It doesn't have to be extensive freedom, I felt Chrono Trigger itself hit a major sweet spot in terms of telling a great linear story while still maintaining a semi-non-linear gameplay approach. The story doesn't really suffer from being broken up in the second half and left to the players discretion to tie up all its loose ends, its incredibly well done in comparison to FFVI, which did this idea first. The minor tweaks it does to the game's two major endings are enough to make players feel satisfied with bringing choice into the storyline. This is the title I feel SE should follow in terms of direction for gameplay content. A happy medium for both sides that want a great story and others who would like to stretch their legs a bit.

Of anything I feel SE just needs another visionary for the company. I feel Kitase has been getting by on the talents of others and now that they are either leaving, or working on their own projects; it is obvious he's not the visionary, people claim him to be. Nomura sounds tired of being relied on and I still get this nagging feeling his days with SE are numbered. I still foresee him going freelance in the next decade so h can pursue his own ideas while still being able to gain access to KH. Motomu is a hack and everyone else feels more comfortable not being in the spot light. SE just doesn't have a visionary anymore, its more corporate now, so I don't see FF ever being able to reclaim its glory days again unless they get a miracle and some new person steps up and takes the creative reins of the company and pushes it back into an artistic direction.

Rocket Edge
01-01-2011, 04:43 PM
^ Great post, and I agree particularly with the last paragraph. SE really does need a new visionary, because to me XIII seemed like a tired excuse of a game.

Del Murder
01-01-2011, 08:44 PM
Yeah, it's hard to pinpoint a direction for the series as a whole but this is definitely something that they are doing more and more and I don't like it. Really don't care about rpg battles happening in real time. If I wanted to experience real time I'd go outside. FF in general seems to be trying to get more 'real'. I play these games as an escape from reality so I want fantastic fantasy elements that defy reality.