PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy females: tomboy, girly-girl, or in-between?

SuperMillionaire
12-19-2010, 12:46 AM
Out of all the females in the Final Fantasy franchise, which ones do you consider to be tomboys, which ones are girly-girls, and which ones are in-between?

kotora
12-19-2010, 01:45 AM
it's pretty obvious in every installment isn't it

Vyk
12-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Faris is a tomboy!

Elskidor
12-19-2010, 04:55 AM
Rosa

Aerith's Knight
12-20-2010, 09:36 PM
FF7:

Tomboy - Tifa, Yuffie, Elena
Girly - Aerith

FF8:

Tomboy - Quistis
Girly - Rinoa, Selphie

FF9:

Tomboy - Garnet (trying to be), Beatrix
Girly - Eiko (Trying to be), Ruby

FFX:

Tomboy - Jailbait Riku
Girly - Yuna, Black witch woman thingie (I forgets name)

Depression Moon
12-20-2010, 11:21 PM
What's tomboyish about Quistis, Garnet, and Rikku?

Vyk
12-20-2010, 11:50 PM
Garnet's a runaway rebel, and Rikku plays with hand grenades? Dunno about Quistis

Kyros
12-21-2010, 04:43 AM
how is selphie girly? I think I missed that part...

Rocket Edge
12-22-2010, 11:10 PM
^ yeah. Selphie is a tomboy, Qwisty is as girly as they come.

MJN SEIFER
12-26-2010, 04:24 PM
I tend not to use the term tomboy, 'cause I find it stupid, and a tad offensive. I mean, a soon as a girl does something tough and heroic, she's "acting like a boy"? Stereotype much?

Depression Moon
12-26-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't know about all that Aerith's Knight was the first person I ever heard who thought Garnet was a tomboy. I don't think I would hear many people call Kitara one either and they've both done their share of heroics.

I wouldn't call Selphie one either. She's just very energetic and expressive.

MJN SEIFER
12-26-2010, 08:25 PM
To be honsest, I think the majority (if not all) of them where "in-between" (also known as, "a real girl"), they had their girly moments, because they are girls, but had more heroic moments as well. I still hesitate to use tomboy, because it is just not something I find correct, for reasons I explained above. But you get characters like Rinoa, who for most of the game was strong willed and independent, and basically an adventerous character who you could depend on. However, during the iguion scene, and the space scene, she's suddenly the damsel in a dress that needs saving, but I don't find that took over the whole character - in FFVIII practically every character needed saving at one point, including the men (Zell needed saving from the Warden for example), even Squall needed saving at some points, and he's the "hero" of the game. Basically FFVIII (and in a way, all FFs) was a team effort, and the characters, were basically allies, who helped eachother.

Remon
12-26-2010, 08:51 PM
Fang is a tomboy. And so is Vaan.

Vyk
12-28-2010, 06:19 AM

I laughed out loud

Christmas
01-02-2011, 02:45 PM
How will one classify Jenova? :bigsmile:

Del Murder
01-08-2011, 12:24 AM
I'd say most of them were in between. The difining tomboy of the series was Faris and the defining girly girl is probably Vanille.

And Jenova is obviously part of the Quina category. :quina:

SuperMillionaire
02-08-2011, 06:17 PM

No, Vaan is a REAL boy.

Also, among tomboys, which ones do you think retain a greater sense of femininity than the rest?

And was Faris the first tomboy?

cloud_doll
02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Even though Tifa is tough and strong I wouldn't call her a tomboy...she still acts very feminine and dresses like a woman.
Nor would I call Elena a tomboy she only dresses in a suit because she's a turk.

Selphie to me seems more girly...

Ok, let's just classify them all as girls.

MJN SEIFER
02-10-2011, 03:59 PM
As I've said before, I think the majority of them are "In Between".

As I've also said before "Tomboy" is a redundant phrase because, what does it mean in this day an age? A girl who's adventurous, and athletic, and so on? Just because she's not a damsel in a dress, does not make a "a girl who acts like a boy".

SuperMillionaire
02-18-2011, 06:44 PM
True, girls can be sporty and boisterous, but what about her interests and choice of clothing? Does she do traditionally feminine activities when not in battle? And does she dress girly and feminine or more like a boy? And does she have traditional family values?

And also, before, some feminists used to find the term "girly girl" offensive, but now, given your statement about taking offense to the term "tomboy," are girls and women out there who are tomboys starting to take offense to being referred to as such?

DMKA
02-23-2011, 01:00 AM
And also, before, some feminists used to find the term "girly girl" offensive, but now, given your statement about taking offense to the term "tomboy," are girls and women out there who are tomboys starting to take offense to being referred to as such?

I certainly hope not. The last thing the world needs is more idiots getting bent over certain words and how they're used, like they hold exclusive ownership over certain pieces of speech.

VeloZer0
02-23-2011, 01:49 AM
To my knowledge tomboy was always a derogatory term, and only recently has the negative stigma attached to it begun to fade.

SuperMillionaire
04-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Let's revisit this topic, since it's been a little while.

Apparently, the rate of wearing traditionally-feminine clothing among girls has been declining in the western world, and it also has to to do with a girl's interests being closer to that of a boy. Now, MJN Seifer, I was expecting you to reply to this earlier, but I've come up with additional information now.

You say that that a girl who is rough-and-tumble and athletic is not a "girl who acts like a boy," but what about her sense of femininity? She may not be into traditional feminine activities all that much, and is more physically-active than other girls, and prefers to wear sneakers, jeans and t-shirts/tank tops to loafers/high heels, skirts, and blouses. She may also sometimes dress in skimpy sport outfits to show skin on arms, upper chest, midriff, and legs. If she has long hair, it would probably be very straight, but does she still care about her appearance? Does she still try to look good, even if she doesn't wear makeup or perfume? She may also be more adventurous, although not necessarily a daredevil. And what about her mannerisms? For instance, does she cross her legs when sitting? And is her voice high-pitched or low and deep?

The reason why I'm asking this is because many tomboys seem to be feminists, but the hard part is balancing feminism and femininity. Tomboys who are more feministic are more "masculine," although not necessarily "butch," and are also more daring, while others seem to still retain a sense of femininity, in that although they like many boyish things such as sports, they are not as daring, and they know that they are still girls, and so they try their best to act like a traditional girl, despite having more boyish interests; thus, these type of tomboys tend to act more like effeminate boys than "macho" boys (note that effeminate does NOT mean "girly"), and sometimes may have higher-pitched voices.

Jiro
04-13-2011, 03:17 PM
Traditionally feminine clothing used to be big poofy dresses, corsets and bonnets. The idea of "feminine" clothing has changed, and at the same time, the idea that females need to wear it is diminishing.

Bringing feminists into the discussion doesn't seem like a smart idea. I think, personally, that it's pretty irrelevant.

SuperMillionaire
04-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Well, there are some tomboys who are very much "one of the boys," but then there are others who still retain a sense of femininity. Thus, there are two types of tomboys: "effeminate" and "macho."

I'm still waiting for your response, MJN.

LikeaLion
06-08-2011, 10:50 PM
FF7:

Sorry for bumping an older thread. I just couldn't help but chuckle!

How could you forget LULU! XD
My favourite character! :D

SuperMillionaire
06-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Actually, thanks, because I'm still waiting for MJN Seifer's response to my questions.

Mercen-X
06-24-2011, 01:44 AM
FFX:

Wasn't her name like Donna or something?

SuperMillionaire
07-19-2011, 07:10 PM
What do you mean by that?

TaylorS
04-08-2012, 06:14 AM
In 6, Celes is an obvious "tomboy", as shown in the Opera House scene when she goes "I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!"), she's strongly comparable to many powerful women in our modern word that often get the "iron" label attatched to them (Maggie Thatcher, Hillary Clinton, Angela Merkel, etc.), creating a cold, hard persona to fit in traditionally "masculine" areas.