PDA

View Full Version : Which RPG to play!?!?

KentaRawr!
12-23-2010, 11:10 PM
I happen to have some RPGs in my possession. The question is, which one should I play!?

Whichever RPG is chosen will become the topic of a blog I will update after every time I sit down to play the game. :3

Depression Moon
12-23-2010, 11:33 PM
I've never any of those old RPGs but it reminds me of how all the old RPGs I'm thinking about buying cost a damn arm and a leg on amazon and ebay. It makes me wish that Sony and Nintendo can release these games online so I won't have to pay so much.

KentaRawr!
12-23-2010, 11:43 PM
You know, it's interesting. I happened to find all of these online. :cool:

Depression Moon
12-24-2010, 12:00 AM
How much did you pay?

KentaRawr!
12-24-2010, 01:28 AM
Well, Ys, the Shining Force games and the Phantasy Star games were on the Wii's Virtual Console, but Dark Law and Dragon Quest 3's SNES version were only released in Japan, so I found fan translations online and had to use an emulator. So, as a guesstimate, probably $30. (I didn't buy them all at once, and you have to buy points in increments of $10. >.<)

Vyk
12-24-2010, 02:40 AM
Wow, good choices. Old choices. I've never played through the first two Ys, the earliest one I played legitimately was 3. And it was pretty awesome. But I've heard the first two were even better. Especially with TurboGraphx CD since the music is supposed to be one of the better selling points. But I'd imagine those are really good choices. Phantasy Star 4 is extremely awesome. I never played 3. But 2 is really hard and a huge grind fest. Not bad if you're okay with that sorta thing. The Shining Force games are probably the easiest strategy RPGs you'll ever play. But they have extremely lovable characters and charming storylines that make it worth it if their magic works on you. And I haven't played that Dragon Quest, so I can't speak on that. Personally I'd say Phantasy Star 4 is probably the friendliest retro game to go back and play. My personal favorites would be the Shining Force games

KentaRawr!
12-24-2010, 03:47 AM
What's your opinion on Dark Law?

NeoCracker
12-24-2010, 04:00 AM
I actually played Dark Law recently, and it was kind of sub par.

That's really all I can say about it, just sub par. Barely played it before it bored me. :p

Vyk
12-24-2010, 04:06 AM
I've honestly never heard of Dark Law, so I can't speak on it

Yar
12-24-2010, 05:12 AM
There's an SNES version of DQ3? :O

Wolf Kanno
12-24-2010, 05:38 AM
DQ3 might be one of my favorite DQ games but then again, I love the Loto Arc. I have yet to play the rest though I have started picking up Phantasy Star cause the series has always interested me.

Vermachtnis
12-24-2010, 06:10 AM
You can't go wrong with Phantasy Star 2 or 4 or Dragon Quest III. Like Wolfo, it's my favorite Dragon Quest or at least tied with V.

Dreddz
12-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Both Phantasy Star II and IV are worth playing. I'd say go for Phantasy Star II if you can handle a challenge and a game that has dated somewhat. If not then just go for Phantasy Star IV. Both are excellent games and probably the best 2D RPGs outside of the FF series.

Crossblades
12-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Both Phantasy Star II and IV are worth playing. I'd say go for Phantasy Star II if you can handle a challenge and a game that has dated somewhat. If not then just go for Phantasy Star IV. Both are excellent games and probably the best 2D RPGs outside of the FF series.

This. (Although I havent played PS II yet)

Also Dragon Quest III is an awesome game as well

Bolivar
12-28-2010, 02:23 PM
My personal vote is to Shining Force, if you've already played it, then Shining Force II. It's the polish that really makes the game what it is.

I've heard a lot of people call DQIII the best in the series and if I'm thinking of the right game, I jumped for joy when the SNES remake's fanslation was completed last year (or was it the year before that?) although I still haven't gotten around to it. I've played a little of the NES version and found it highly playable and enjoyable so if they were able to do that on the original Famicom I can only imagine it's even better on the SNES.

I tried going back to the original Phantasy Star games a little while back and it wasn't easy. I'm a diehard Sega fan but I don't know if I'd recommend it.

KentaRawr!
12-28-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm not too worried about difficulty when it comes to the Phantasy Star games. I've already played the first game, which had quite a lot of grinding to get new equipment which was priced ridiculously high. :p