PDA

View Full Version : National Stereotypes

Laddy
12-24-2010, 01:22 AM
What are your opinion of national stereotypes?

Being an American tourist kinda sucks, because everyone's kinda a smartass with you (in a good-natured way or not). So, yeah, American stereotypes are hardly flattering.

kotora
12-24-2010, 01:34 AM
I think they're super accurate

Zero Hellfire
12-24-2010, 01:38 AM
What in God's name is wrong with American stereotypes, fatty? ^_^

The thing I probably find most incorrect and annoying about English or British stereotypes is the notion that we all talk like Liquid Snake. No one I know has a "british accent." And I suppose the sort of idea that we're upper class sipping our nice little cups of tea in our bowler hats. Its a bit of a :bou::bou::bou::bou: hole in reality.

Although us brits do talk about tha weather a lot. =D

EDIT: What the hell is with the smileys? haha

kotora
12-24-2010, 01:43 AM
What in God's name is wrong with American stereotypes, fatty? ^_^

The thing I probably find most incorrect and annoying about English or British stereotypes is the notion that we all talk like Liquid Snake. No one I know has a "british accent." And I suppose the sort of idea that we're upper class sipping our nice little cups of tea in our bowler hats. Its a bit of a :bou::bou::bou::bou: hole in reality.

Although us brits do talk about tha weather a lot. =D

actually nowadays the British stereotype is more about chavs drinking themselves into a coma and eating fried mars bars

Bunny
12-24-2010, 01:46 AM
I'm happy with American stereotypes because I know I'm better than everyone else.

Jessweeee♪
12-24-2010, 01:52 AM
It's even worse when you live in a southern state. Obviously as a girl in the south I am an obese welfare queen living in a trailer with the confederate flag outside my window :|

Zero Hellfire
12-24-2010, 01:52 AM
actually nowadays the British stereotype is more about chavs drinking themselves into a coma and eating fried mars bars
Well, at least thats a little closer to the truth.

Bunny
12-24-2010, 01:54 AM
obese welfare queen living in a trailer with the confederate flag outside my window

call 1 8 0 0 j e n n y c r a i g

Clo
12-24-2010, 02:32 AM
Stereotypes are true, because I live in New York and I am a fast-talking badass.

Except WNY doesn't actually count as New York.

Vyk
12-24-2010, 02:32 AM
Sadly there are a lot of people who do fit the stereotypes. You're just not likely to meet a lot of them. Especially in such a well bred internet forum such as this :} I actually work with a couple of American stereotypes. Thankfully they're the minority. They just get noticed a lot abroad I guess

Shoden
12-24-2010, 03:35 AM
Geordie stereotypes are fun, apparently we're all brown ale addicted, cold tolerant fat bastards with a liking for kebabs, gaan oot on the tap and knocking someone's heed off.

In reality, I'm mostly tea total, hardly drink unless i'm out, I can't take the cold because i'm so thin, I hate kebabs and well I hardly go out on the pull because I get jumped on. Every time. D:

So yeah, Tea sipping, cricket loving, buck toothed, queenie bashing, civilised gentlemen my arse XD

Psychotic
12-24-2010, 01:31 PM
The thing I probably find most incorrect and annoying about English or British stereotypes is the notion that we all talk like Liquid Snake. Maybe we should do, little brother. Or big brother, I'm not sure which. HELLFIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEE!

See how much more fun it makes life?

Madame Adequate
12-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Belgians and their inoffensiveness and bureaucracy :stare:

Madame Adequate
12-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Also I'm not a big fan of the Azeris, with their oil and their "Oooh Baku is so great" and make up your mind whether you're Persian or Caucasian.

Madame Adequate
12-24-2010, 02:59 PM
And don't even get me STARTED on the San Marinans. "Most Serene Republic of my Arse" is more like it. Think they're so fancy with their microstate with no debt and a budget surplus and oooh look at us we're too GOOD to join a REAL country like Italy. Berlusconi should invade.

Old Manus
12-24-2010, 02:59 PM
I consumate with ovines daily, so there's nothing wrong with stereotypes here.

Madame Adequate
12-24-2010, 03:03 PM
And what the hell Algarve? Why don't you even exist anymore? :stare:

Madame Adequate
12-24-2010, 03:07 PM
What can you even say about St. Kitts and Nevis? Ooooh a couple of islands. Lovely. You're in the Pitcairn Island isolated pedophile club.

Aerith's Knight
12-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Right:
- We eat a lot of cheese
- We have tulips in the summer, everywhere
- We do have a lot of farmers, although far less than southern US states, and still decreasing.

Wrong:
- Dutch people don't go Dutch.
- We do NOT wear wooden clogs. We do drink beer out of them (well, students do).
- We are not dressed like people from the 1800's.

Madame Adequate
12-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Hahahahahahahaha the smurfing Transnistria come back when you have independence

Peegee
12-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Right:
- We eat a lot of cheese
- We have tulips in the summer, everywhere
- We do have a lot of farmers, although far less than southern US states, and still decreasing.

Wrong:
- Dutch people don't go Dutch.
- We do NOT wear wooden clogs. We do drink beer out of them (well, students do).
- We are not dressed like people from the 1800's.

>implying you aren't dressed like a 1800 civilian in your FB profile
>implying you're not dutch

I have a Canadian flag on my neck. Everybody fears and respects me overseas.

NorthernChaosGod
12-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Wait, am I going based off what every country thinks of me or what the rest of the US does? If it's the former then apparently I'm fat, love guns and... watch MTV? :confused: If it's the latter then I probably smoke weed, surf, and have a lifted truck.

Shlup
12-24-2010, 09:33 PM
I don't have a problem with national stereotypes. They're often true about a significant percentage of the population.

I don't say I'm from America; I say I'm from California or Los Angeles. America is too big to have many stereotypes that would be accurate for people across the country. The only one I can think of is that we're independent and/or self-centered.

Peegee
12-24-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't have a problem with national stereotypes. They're often true about a significant percentage of the population.

I don't say I'm from America; I say I'm from California or Los Angeles. America is too big to have many stereotypes that would be accurate for people across the country. The only one I can think of is that we're independent and/or self-centered.

And American. BTW you only think you are independent. That's why we hate y'all.

Shlup
12-24-2010, 09:57 PM
I mean as individuals, not as a country. Like how in a lot of other countries you're expected to live at home until you're married or even after, but in America you're supposed to move out when you're 18.

Peegee
12-24-2010, 10:04 PM
I mean as individuals, not as a country. Like how in a lot of other countries you're expected to live at home until you're married or even after, but in America you're supposed to move out when you're 18.

The topic is lost on me but I don't disagree with that stereotype.

You're still an American though :aimmad:

Meat Puppet
12-25-2010, 01:29 PM
"Hey, you're Australian, so you must be a sniper, right?"

smurf YOU.

escobert
12-25-2010, 03:00 PM
I hate that all New Englander sterotypes depict Massholes. I hate massholes.

NorthernChaosGod
12-25-2010, 07:28 PM

I had to look that up. I was totally thinking it was someone so fat their mass caused a black hole. :|

Rase
12-25-2010, 11:08 PM
I <3 stereotypes. What would be the one for a Alaskan-native who claims California as a home state and lives in the Midwest?

Shlup
12-26-2010, 09:02 AM
That he is a terrible fraud and should be deported to French Canada.

Jiro
12-26-2010, 01:08 PM
CRIKEY MATES! HOW YA GOING, NEED ANOTHER BEER MATE? GORRR LOOK AT THAT THERE CROC, AIN'T SHE A BEAUTY MATE. I'LL THROW ANOTHER SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE FOR YOUR SHEILA MATE. AIN'T SHE A FINE PIECE OF ASS. OH G'DAY SKIPPY.

Old Manus
12-26-2010, 01:55 PM
how about that boxing day test match

Jiro
12-26-2010, 02:08 PM
All out for under a hundred. Man I don't think anyone has sucked this bad. But I don't even watch cricket so I don't really care, you guys can have the ashes. I'll still pretend to be angry that you whipped our asses or something. The best team is gonna win and then Australia's going to be all butthurt and blame :bou::bou::bou::bou: and bitch and complain while the English gloat like motherfuckers and I'm just going to be sitting in my relaxing chair having a couple drinks not giving a :bou::bou::bou::bou:. Because that's how I roll.

Pheesh
12-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Yeah...but at least we drink our beer cold. You sick fucks.

Psychotic
12-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah...but at least we drink our beer cold. You sick smurfs.pretty sure everybody everywhere does this. It reminds me of something my old History teacher said. He and some other students went to visit Russia during the Cold War to see other students there, and the Russians were absolutely convinced Britain was filled with workhouses where the poor were sent to prison for being, well, poor. Britain hadn't had these for well over a hundred years. It was just propaganda to convince them the USSR's silly commie ideals were kickin' rad. Likewise, I think this cold beer thing is propaganda to make you Australians feel better about being inferior to all other nations (besides the French, naturally) at all things.

Pheesh
12-26-2010, 02:52 PM
Know your stereotypes. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRUJ12ra0Uc)

Psychotic
12-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Stereotypes are usually based in truth. Tea drinkers with bad teeth? That's us! Warm beer? What the fuck are you darned convicts on about? :confused:

Laddy
12-26-2010, 04:30 PM
CRIKEY MATES! HOW YA GOING, NEED ANOTHER BEER MATE? GORRR LOOK AT THAT THERE CROC, AIN'T SHE A BEAUTY MATE. I'LL THROW ANOTHER SHRIMP ON THE BARBIE FOR YOUR SHEILA MATE. AIN'T SHE A FINE PIECE OF ASS. OH G'DAY SKIPPY.
On second that, that sounds like the best place ever.

Rye
12-26-2010, 05:00 PM

Me too. I only tell people I'm from New York. It's amazing to see how the expressions on people faces in the UK, when faced with my American accent, became much more pleasant when I said I was from New York.

escobert
12-26-2010, 06:16 PM

I had to look that up. I was totally thinking it was someone so fat their mass caused a black hole. :|

xD
Massholes = people from Massachusetts
People from the mid west are flatlanders :D

Rase
12-26-2010, 07:56 PM
That he is a terrible fraud and should be deported to French Canada.
:( Can I just go be un-American overseas?

NorthernChaosGod
12-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Stereotypes are usually based in truth. Tea drinkers with bad teeth? That's us! Warm beer? What the smurf are you darned convicts on about? :confused:

I've heard for years that you people complain that we drink our beer too cold. I had just assumed you drank it less cold.

Old Manus
12-27-2010, 01:05 AM
I think they're referencing the fact that they cannot comprehend the joys of real ale :manus:

DK
12-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Would take a warm English beer over a cold bottle of whatever gutter filth the convicts are currently throwing down their necks tbh, easily the makers of the worst beer in the world.

Madame Adequate
12-27-2010, 09:27 PM
As vile as Aussie beer is (And it truly is), nothing can compare with the sheer horrific despicable filth that passes for beer in America. Funnily, I like a couple of American beers when they are brewed in Europe, but the ones actually made in the US? Beyond dire.

So there's one: Americans have :bou::bou::bou::bou: beer.

NorthernChaosGod
12-27-2010, 10:15 PM
You're :bou::bou::bou::bou: beer. :mad2:

Shattered Dreamer
12-27-2010, 11:00 PM
I love the Irish stereotype because it's about 90% based in truth, especially any part of said stereotype relating to alcohol lol Although this "top of the mornin too ya" accent is only found in Cork but I've never heard an actual Irish person say "top of the mornin to ya" with any degree of seriousness. I am partial to telling the odd leprechaun story to dumba$$ tourist because it's amazing how many actually believe you!

TheGlassesGirl
12-28-2010, 08:30 PM
I hate being an American. All the stereotypes are true. :[ Not necessarily about me, but for other people... God, it's true! D:

EDIT: Also, I'm afraid that everyone will hate me when I take my leave to Ireland. :'3

Old Manus
12-28-2010, 08:52 PM
There's another American stereotype: WHAT THE HELL IS SO AWESOME ABOUT BEING 1/18th IRISH THAT YOU SIMPLY MUST TELL EVERYONE ABOUT IT. I'm sure I'm Irish somewhere down the line, but I don't see why I should rejoice in sharing blood with a bunch of 3ft horse jockeys :mad2:

kotora
12-28-2010, 09:19 PM
There's another American stereotype: WHAT THE HELL IS SO AWESOME ABOUT BEING 1/18th IRISH THAT YOU SIMPLY MUST TELL EVERYONE ABOUT IT. I'm sure I'm Irish somewhere down the line, but I don't see why I should rejoice in sharing blood with a bunch of 3ft horse jockeys :mad2:

I guess it's kinda like how Americans tell everyone everyone how their great-great-grandfather was a native, except with less guilt involved

Madame Adequate
12-28-2010, 09:37 PM
As someone who isn't at all removed from Ireland in terms of heritage I can assure you that being Irish is totally pimp and fantastic. :hux:

Y'all just jelly.

Shorty
12-28-2010, 10:09 PM
I was born in Utah and live in Arizona, so I'm obviously a gun-toting anti-immigration racist conservative Mormon.

Rantz
12-28-2010, 11:14 PM
Hi! I am Sven Henrik the Chair! I sing ven I talk and I like very many tings but mostly gay rights and ABBA and meatballs. Hav a gud dej! :)

Vyk
12-30-2010, 07:03 AM
I drink warm beer because I don't feel like putting it in the fridge when it tastes nasty even when its cold. All beer tastes nasty. So the fact that warm beer is nasty is a moot point to me. I drink it for a slight buzz. Nothing to do with the taste in either regard. And yes I've had cold beer. It doesn't taste any better. At all. All varieties. Black, white, regular. Ale and lager don't taste any better. In fact the darker it is the worse it is

Tai-Ti
12-30-2010, 07:12 AM
All beer tastes nasty.

Truth.

Too bad as an Australian, I'm expected to be drinking it for breakfast. I don't throw shrimp on barbies either..... I call them prawns :|
I do, admittedly, say g'day.

NorthernChaosGod
12-30-2010, 08:54 AM
All beer tastes nasty.

Truth.

What are you two, twelve? :confused:

Pheesh
12-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Also, foreigners actually seem to have it in their simple heads that we actually drink that vile piss water known as Fosters, but in my experience the only people who touch the stuff are poms who have migrated over.

blackmage_nuke
12-30-2010, 12:20 PM
Not that this is a stereotype but I hear our money is more waterproof but havent seen any hard evidence. I think Ive left a few $5 notes in my pockets when I put my pants in the wash which come out fine. If it is true Its something nicer to brag about rather than cold beer.

Zeldy
12-30-2010, 12:31 PM
Being from North West England I should probably just leave now; the assumptions of us is that we'll steal, drink, swear and are basically like the families in Shameless. That and we're all scousers from Liverpool.

"... St Helens, Northwest England.."
"Oh, so you're a scouser?"
"No.. DID I SAY LIVERPOOL"

Laddy
12-30-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm from Tennessee so I'm either a) A gangsta or b)A gun-toting uber-America redneck.

Caboose
12-30-2010, 10:12 PM
I'm from Ireland so I am a little partial to some of the stereotype of drinking. I am very partial to alcohol (ask Shattered Dreams for details) but I am against the stereotype that all Irish are drunk and do feck all else. In fairness I am an MSc in Analytical Chemistry and I am currently applying to do a PhD so I would consider myself relatively intelligent. Also the amount of Irish immigrant in the US means that by probability that almost 93% of americans have some Irish blood. Bu that does not give you the right to claim "I'm Irish". I postulate that to be Irish yo must be born in Ireland with at least 5 generations of Irish blood or born abroad with 8 or more generations of Irish blood. But I'll acept a drink from anyone so.........who's round is it?!

Shattered Dreamer
12-30-2010, 10:26 PM
I hate being an American. All the stereotypes are true. :[ Not necessarily about me, but for other people... God, it's true! D:

EDIT: Also, I'm afraid that everyone will hate me when I take my leave to Ireland. :'3

I wouldn't worry about Ireland Naomi! Buy and large we love American us Irish even when we say we don't :bigsmile:

Caboose
12-30-2010, 10:30 PM
I wouldn't worry about Ireland Naomi! Buy and large we love American us Irish even when we say we don't :bigsmile:

I must agree Matt. But is it because of our amicable nature or that we have successfully invaded every country on the planet?